Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is it OK to back out?

13»

Re: Is it OK to back out?

• "Bride, I wanted to give you a heads up as early as possible - I know I said a while ago that I would do a reading for your ceremony, but husband and I have discussed it (eliminates "but your husband could..." response), and between caring for the baby and the gap between ceremony and reception, it won't be possible (that door is closed) for us to attend your wedding/attend both parts."
    Perfect.
    But isn't it also rude to point out people's etiquette mistakes? I know I've seen that used around here a lot.

The bride planned poorly, and people may decline because of that (OP included). It's perfectly acceptable to decline an invitation, any invitation, for any reason, and that does not need to be communicated to the host.

I guess I don't understand the need to point out to the bride why the event is so inconvenient (which I completely agree that it is), when it saves the discussion of etiquette mistakes, of having the host try and find solutions/offering help, if the OP really just doesn't want to go.

OP, if you don't want to go (for whatever reason, not close/inconvenient/baby) I would amend the above language to say,

"Bride, I wanted to give you a heads up as early as possible - I know I said a while ago that I would do a reading for your ceremony, but husband and I have discussed it and it won't be possible  for us to attend your wedding/attend both parts."

It closes the conversation about possible remedies because you're not giving reasons why you're not attending, and apologizes for previously accepting. Done.

• "Bride, I wanted to give you a heads up as early as possible - I know I said a while ago that I would do a reading for your ceremony, but husband and I have discussed it (eliminates "but your husband could..." response), and between caring for the baby and the gap between ceremony and reception, it won't be possible (that door is closed) for us to attend your wedding/attend both parts."
    Perfect.
    But isn't it also rude to point out people's etiquette mistakes? I know I've seen that used around here a lot.
    Personally, no.  I dont subscribe to this belief.  Many times with weddings people do the same things that have always been done in their social circles, without ever realizing something is actually considered rude outside their circle.  So if no one ever tells them it's rude, the cycle repeats.

There's always a tactful way to make such a statement. . .I believe it's one of the reasons the phrase, "We'll bless your heart" was invented.

scribe95 said:
    Not sure those close the conversation. The obvious reaction from anyone is why? And I frankly think a why is necessary when you agreed to be in a wedding and are backing out. Way different than just a general invite as a guest. 

***SIB***

Why is never necessary, you never need to justify your actions or reasons to ppl.  Just say No and don't JADE.

Especially when there's a chance ppl won't just accept your reasoning and move on. . .you guys were a prime example of that in this thread.

Flan's suggested response is fine, imo.  Most ppl usually get that when you have a newborn a lot of shit becomes inconvenient for you and don't question it.

If the Bride starts throwing out the Buts or suggestions OP should just keep apologizing and bean dipping.  No explanations.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    SITB

I'm with PLG in this- posters tell people all the time to decline because something is inconvenient due to be poorly hosted. There are lots of times people say, "I can't" which means either "it's not worth my effort" or "I don't want to". Similar to the word "no", it is not a four letter word (well can't is :P). I think OP is feeling guilty for backing out and looking to apologize, which she doesn't need to.

OP- I would use flantastics wording. You can back out- but do it now. You do not need to feel guilty about it. Make the decision and own it. People's relationships and lives change. I don't think telling her that traveling with a baby to an extended event is not possible for you needs to be an friendship ending move.

charlotte989875 said:

Yes and no. I think there is a difference between saying, "Bride, your gap is so rude!" and saying, "I am sorry Bride, but the gap between your ceremony and reception makes it unable for us to attend". To me, the second is stating a fact- you have created a gap in your event, we have no where to go and nothing to do.
  • SP29 said:
    SITB

I'm with PLG in this- posters tell people all the time to decline because something is inconvenient due to be poorly hosted. There are lots of times people say, "I can't" which means either "it's not worth my effort" or "I don't want to". Similar to the word "no", it is not a four letter word (well can't is :P). I think OP is feeling guilty for backing out and looking to apologize, which she doesn't need to.

OP- I would use flantastics wording. You can back out- but do it now. You do not need to feel guilty about it. Make the decision and own it. People's relationships and lives change. I don't think telling her that traveling with a baby to an extended event is not possible for you needs to be an friendship ending move.

charlotte989875 said:

Yes and no. I think there is a difference between saying, "Bride, your gap is so rude!" and saying, "I am sorry Bride, but the gap between your ceremony and reception makes it unable for us to attend". To me, the second is stating a fact- you have created a gap in your event, we have no where to go and nothing to do.
    Fair enough. I do still think it's sets up the chance that the bride tries to "fix" the situation, and if OP is considering going if the gap was somehow fixed (or the bride offers somewhere for her to stay, or whatever) then I think that's fine. But if she just plain doesn't want to go, I still don't think there's a need to point out the "why". 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    SP29 said:
    SITB

charlotte989875 said:

Fair enough. I do still think it's sets up the chance that the bride tries to "fix" the situation, and if OP is considering going if the gap was somehow fixed (or the bride offers somewhere for her to stay, or whatever) then I think that's fine. But if she just plain doesn't want to go, I still don't think there's a need to point out the "why". 
    I do agree with you here. When you provide a reason if can give the other person a chance to come up with a "solution" that the OP might not want. OP might want to stick with something more simple like, "Bride, we are unable to travel to an extended event with an infant". I just don't think it would be rude for someone to say, "Host, you've created an unfortunate situation for us with your planning" (whatever that may be).

I think in reality, the Bride might ask why, but OP should just repeat her initial decline, "It is not possible for us to attend".

• When declining an invitation, it is not necessary to state the reason.  You simply say that you are unable to attend.
    The OP needs to change her acceptance to be a reader.  She is not required to be specific about her reasons.  If she had waited until the last minute to do this, it would be a problem for the bride, but she has not done this.  The bride (who was silly to have chosen her wedding party and participants this early) won't have a problem finding another reader.

For the record, my baby girl projectile vomited on everybody who came near her for the first 5 months.  NOBODY wanted to hold her!  Babysitter were hard to find.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards