Options

Four names in the world

2»

Re: Four names in the world

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    This whole 'I call dibs on a name' thing makes me so irrationally angry.  A name isn't a cookie; you don't get to lick it and keep it.  If someone else gets pregnant first or adopts first, they are free to use any name they like, even if you've already used it.  

If someone close to me dreamed of naming her baby Elba after her grandmother, I'd respect it, but no one owns Jaxson with an X, or all of the XXXlyn names.  
    This made me chuckle.

That is all.

(LW should ignore the request, or as Banana said, tell SIL the dogs would be honoured to have their little niece/nephew named after them.)
  • Options
    *Barbie* said:
    One of our dogs is named after a Norse goddess/comic character (Sif) and the other one is Wiggles. My hedgehog is named Hercules. Our dog that passed 2 years ago was Rogue. The fish don't have names. If anyone in the family wanted to use these names for a child, I'd be more likely to call CPS, than anything. 

I was just thinking this.  We're assuming the dogs' have people names.  But what if they are "Fido" and "Lassie".  That would be especially fun and hilarious.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have five Uncle Johns - aside from causing my husband a lot of confusion, no one has an issue with this.  Sometimes same names happen.  

• Options
    Heffalump said:

ETA:

kerbohl said:
    I have five Uncle Johns - aside from causing my husband a lot of confusion, no one has an issue with this.  Sometimes same names happen.  

For whatever reason, there is an abundance of Pauls in my family.  And somehow, everyone seems to be doing okay.

We have a bunch of Tom's on both sides of the family.  DH's family has Joe's and Pat's.
  • Options

My dad and my stepdad have the same name. Which I'm sure was kinda uncomfortable for my mom, since people always joked about it. Also would have been weird if I ended up with my first boyfriend because his dad and his brother also have that name.

It irritates me when I say "So I was talking to Bob.." and people immediately go "Your dad or Bob-bob?" all annoying like they think they're saying the funniest thing ever.

Um. Do you call your dad by his first name?

My brother loved the name Abby and really wanted to name his daughter Abby. But his wife had a dog named Abby. That I can see - not naming your own kid the same name as your own dog because you'd think Abby and think dog, not kid.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

I can't believe I missed this letter.

1. These letters are making me cynical, I swear.  Because all of a sudden the sister is secretly pregnant and she tells her SIL, but not her brother (whose dogs they also are), and the LW is sworn to secrecy?  Uh huh. I think there is a chance that she is a LIAR.

2. Is she also pregnant with twins?  Because 2 dog names > 1 maybe-pregnancy. 

3. I have zero patience for this name saving deal. Maybe in very narrow circumstances: your brother is Fitzwilliam Darcy III and he and his wife want to carry on the tradition and name their son Fitzwilliam Darcy IV, so maybe you don't name your kid Fitzwilliam.  (Even then, I don't think I'd be too put out, but I can understand how other people would be.)  But you and your cousin both randomly like the name Wickham?  First come, first served.

BIL's ex (who was only his girlfriend at the time) was all upset when we named Wooz, because she wanted to name their theoretical, unconceived children after BIL and DH's grandmother, which is a name that is close to Wooz's nickname.  We only found about it after the fact (one of those stupid situations where she complained to SIL and FIL's wife and it got back to us), but I still would have told her to pound sand.  They did eventually marry a few years later, and divorced a year or so after that.  No kids.  So if we had passed on a name we loved for a vague idea she had that came to nothing, I would have regretted it. 

Also, it took until our last childbirth class to finally settle on a name for DD, so we weren't about to go back to the drawing board after that. :)

ETA:

kerbohl said:

For whatever reason, there is an abundance of Pauls in my family.  And somehow, everyone seems to be doing okay.

DH and I were like that with Chiquita.   It took us the full pregnancy to decide on a girls' name because we thought she was a boy.

It's the name of DH's great aunt and also a cousin.   Months later when his cousin was expecting she said that she picked the same name if her baby was a girl.   No problem.   The more the merrier!

The only times we generally save names are when we think that there could be a potential Jr.   And if we had a strong desire to name a boy that name, we'd just ask ahead of time.

• Options
    We decided on DefConn's name in the delivery room.  We always had a middle name (it's mine (and my dad's), which is my paternal grandmother's maiden name), but we could not decide on a first name.  There's video of DH all, "Here's the newest Conn!...Um, what are we going to name him?  OK, we'll be back!"

And the name we decided on was the earliest contender we had for his name. 
  • Options

My dad and my stepdad have the same name. Which I'm sure was kinda uncomfortable for my mom, since people always joked about it. Also would have been weird if I ended up with my first boyfriend because his dad and his brother also have that name.

It irritates me when I say "So I was talking to Bob.." and people immediately go "Your dad or Bob-bob?" all annoying like they think they're saying the funniest thing ever.

Um. Do you call your dad by his first name?

My brother loved the name Abby and really wanted to name his daughter Abby. But his wife had a dog named Abby. That I can see - not naming your own kid the same name as your own dog because you'd think Abby and think dog, not kid.

My ex-SIL did that. She named her oldest after her poodle she had as a girl.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    We decided on DefConn's name in the delivery room.  We always had a middle name (it's mine (and my dad's), which is my paternal grandmother's maiden name), but we could not decide on a first name.  There's video of DH all, "Here's the newest Conn!...Um, what are we going to name him?  OK, we'll be back!"

And the name we decided on was the earliest contender we had for his name. 

If DD hadn't come up with DS's name, we'd probably still be debating.

• Options
    Heffalump said:

I can't believe I missed this letter.

1. These letters are making me cynical, I swear.  Because all of a sudden the sister is secretly pregnant and she tells her SIL, but not her brother (whose dogs they also are), and the LW is sworn to secrecy?  Uh huh. I think there is a chance that she is a LIAR.

2. Is she also pregnant with twins?  Because 2 dog names > 1 maybe-pregnancy. 

3. I have zero patience for this name saving deal. Maybe in very narrow circumstances: your brother is Fitzwilliam Darcy III and he and his wife want to carry on the tradition and name their son Fitzwilliam Darcy IV, so maybe you don't name your kid Fitzwilliam.  (Even then, I don't think I'd be too put out, but I can understand how other people would be.)  But you and your cousin both randomly like the name Wickham?  First come, first served.

BIL's ex (who was only his girlfriend at the time) was all upset when we named Wooz, because she wanted to name their theoretical, unconceived children after BIL and DH's grandmother, which is a name that is close to Wooz's nickname.  We only found about it after the fact (one of those stupid situations where she complained to SIL and FIL's wife and it got back to us), but I still would have told her to pound sand.  They did eventually marry a few years later, and divorced a year or so after that.  No kids.  So if we had passed on a name we loved for a vague idea she had that came to nothing, I would have regretted it. 

Also, it took until our last childbirth class to finally settle on a name for DD, so we weren't about to go back to the drawing board after that. :)

ETA:

kerbohl said:

I appreciate your examples.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • Options

I thought of this thread last night. For some reason H and I were talking about my Finnish grandma and weird Finnish names. We decided that if we ever wanted and had kids that we'd name a girl Kirsi.

You bitches better back the fuck off.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards