Wedding Woes
Options

Week 4 thread

This is far from the most pressing issue facing the current administration (Michael Flynn, anyone?), but I wanted to kick off the Week 4 thread on a more lighthearted note:

Trump's official inauguration poster has glaring typo

President Trump’s official inauguration portrait offered by the Library of Congress had a glaring typo on it, social media users pointed out Sunday evening.

The print of Trump, which was sold on the Library of Congress’s website includes a quote from the president — but misspells “too” as “to.”

“No dream is too big, no challenge is to great. Nothing we want for the future is beyond our reach,” the quote reads on the poster.

The page selling the print was removed Sunday evening at some point between 9:30 and 10:00 p.m.

On the original page, the Library of Congress described the print as one that "captures the essence of Donald Trump's campaign for the presidency of the United States.”

Social media users were quick to point out the error.

The error comes after the Department of Education misspelled author and civil rights activist W.E.B. Du Bois’s name in a tweet earlier on Sunday. 

Re: Week 4 thread

• Options
    HUUGE typo
  • Options
  • Options

Totally unrelated, but Donald Trump scares the shit out of me. The stuff he's doing makes it feel like we have a dictator. How is it possible that people actually voted for him??

• Options

When I read this article over the weekend, it made me laugh. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/us/california-farmers-backed-trump-but-now-fear-losing-field-workers.html?_r=1

I believe this is known as "your chickens coming home to roost". The Orange One said he was going to stop illegal immigration, why on earth did these guys vote for him if their workforce is made up of mostly (all?) illegal immigrants?!

• Options

Love the Canada peeps on here!

Trudeau and Trump are having their first official meeting today.  I sincerely hope we don't go to war with you all.

I'm saying that joking, but can't even joke with 100% certainty the outlandish won't happen.

Canada, I don't know a lot about Trudeau, but I'm jealous of you all.  He seems 100x better.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Love the Canada peeps on here!

Trudeau and Trump are having their first official meeting today.  I sincerely hope we don't go to war with you all.

I'm saying that joking, but can't even joke with 100% certainty the outlandish won't happen.

Canada, I don't know a lot about Trudeau, but I'm jealous of you all.  He seems 100x better.

Same.
    He has good points and bad points. M and I were talking about it. Obama and Trudeau had bromance, but disagreed on things {Trudeau for pipeline; Obama against}

M and I realized the biggest issue will be NAFTA. Drumpft wants to tear it but Trudeau obv doesn't. I fear that Drumpft will be the child he is and try to bully Trudeau into getting what he wants, and then Trudeau will get backlash saying "he wasn't forceful enough" and that "Harper or O'Leary wouldn't have let that happen"
    No folks, your president is a bully. :\
  • Options

Totally unrelated, but Donald Trump scares the shit out of me. The stuff he's doing makes it feel like we have a dictator. How is it possible that people actually voted for him??

There have been things that have paralelled Hilter during Nazi Germany to what Drumpft has been saying. It's scary.
  • Options
    This article horrifies me on so many levels.

http://observer.com/2017/02/donald-trump-administration-mike-flynn-russian-embassy/

I am also furious about the "successful" Yemen mission. 

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2017/02/08/nine-young-children-killed-full-details-botched-us-raid-yemen/

“It is true they were targeting al Qaeda but why did they have to kill children and women and elderly people?” said Zabnallah Saif al Ameri, who lost nine members of his extended family, five of whom were children. “If such slaughter happened in their country, there would be a lot of shouting about human rights. When our children are killed, they are quiet.”

White America in a fucking nutshell. 

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    What in the goddamn mother fuck? 

http://theslot.jezebel.com/oklahoma-lawmaker-pregnant-women-are-hosts-whose-bodie-1792303950

Ultimately, he said, his intent was to let men have a say. “I believe one of the breakdowns in our society is that we have excluded the man out of all of these types of decisions,” he said. “I understand that they feel like that is their body,” he said of women. “I feel like it is a separate — what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant,” he explained. “So that’s where I’m at. I’m like, hey, your body is your body and be responsible with it. But after you’re irresponsible then don’t claim, well, I can just go and do this with another body, when you’re the host and you invited that in.”

^^^ That makes me want to hork.  
    My rage filled brain right now

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:

http://theslot.jezebel.com/oklahoma-lawmaker-pregnant-women-are-hosts-whose-bodie-1792303950

Ultimately, he said, his intent was to let men have a say. “I believe one of the breakdowns in our society is that we have excluded the man out of all of these types of decisions,” he said. “I understand that they feel like that is their body,” he said of women. “I feel like it is a separate — what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant,” he explained. “So that’s where I’m at. I’m like, hey, your body is your body and be responsible with it. But after you’re irresponsible then don’t claim, well, I can just go and do this with another body, when you’re the host and you invited that in.”

JFC! What in the everlasting fuck is happening to this country? 

• Options
    OMG!  FULL ON RAGE STROKING!

http://www.scarymommy.com/state-lawmakers-block-bill-protect-pregnant-women/?utm_source=FB

“It’s not prison, you can quit,” Rep. Wayne H. Steinhauer said at a hearing for the House Commerce and Energy Committee. “You’ve got a choice every day. You make a choice whether you come to work. And I’m here to tell you, if a person’s not allowing you to breastfeed at work or making appropriate accommodations at work, we can pass this law, but you don’t want to work for that guy. Get the heck out of there.”

Don't get an abortion, but we're not going to fucking make it easy for you to be pregnant at work or come back after having a baby.  
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    OMG!  FULL ON RAGE STROKING!

http://www.scarymommy.com/state-lawmakers-block-bill-protect-pregnant-women/?utm_source=FB

“It’s not prison, you can quit,” Rep. Wayne H. Steinhauer said at a hearing for the House Commerce and Energy Committee. “You’ve got a choice every day. You make a choice whether you come to work. And I’m here to tell you, if a person’s not allowing you to breastfeed at work or making appropriate accommodations at work, we can pass this law, but you don’t want to work for that guy. Get the heck out of there.”

Don't get an abortion, but we're not going to fucking make it easy for you to be pregnant at work or come back after having a baby.  
    Why is this happening???

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:

I realize it isn't addressed, either way in this article, but is he also pretending that women don't get pregnant from rapes.  Where there was no "invitation".  Or is he one of those guys who thinks rape victims deserve it for some imagined reason, hence their "irresponsibility".  Or the myth that women can't get pregnant from rape.

Also not addressed in the article, but should we also ignore that fetuses sometimes "kill their host".  Heck, some medical conditions make it an almost certainty.  Unfortunately, it also sometimes randomly happens.  No matter how "healthy" the "host" is.  Why should any women have to potentially risk her life for a fetus she doesn't even want?

If you're a current "host", don't read this next sentence.  Over 600 women each year die from child birth or complications related to pregnancy, in the US.  Per WHO, that number is 289,000 women dying every year, worldwide.

And does this guy seriously think that referring to women as "hosts" is going to endear him to ANYBODY?  Even people who are pro-life.  It's a derogatory word for all women and, if pregnant women are "hosts", that makes their fetuses "parasites".  Not a very positive word either.  I hope he gets a tapeworm and see how he likes being a host to a life form.

I really think he thought by using the word 'host' he was making this fucked-up-shit-sandwich-of-an-opinion 'science-y'.  
  • Options
    I think that all of these insane anti-abortion laws are the various states clamoring to be the one to take Roe v Wade down.  It's obvious by the amount of crack pot laws that states are proposing and passing.
  • Options
    I think that all of these insane anti-abortion laws are the various states clamoring to be the one to take Roe v Wade down.  It's obvious by the amount of crack pot laws that states are proposing and passing.

I'm curious from those more knowledgeable than myself.  Is there a lot more of this coming out of the woodwork?  Or has it always been there, but only caused publicity when an anti-abortion law made it all the way up to a State Senate vote (or similar)? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm curious from those more knowledgeable than myself.  Is there a lot more of this coming out of the woodwork?  Or has it always been there, but only caused publicity when an anti-abortion law made it all the way up to a State Senate vote (or similar)? 
    In the last few years, there have been a bunch of states trying to pass TRAP laws (Targeted Restriction on Abortion Providers).  They have all had a general gist to them, but basically...they are seeing how far they can test Roe V. Wade.  

https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/issues/abortion/trap-laws

• Options
    Yes, all of this. And Ohio wants to jump on board too. Screw these people who want to control women. Eff all of them. short+sassy said:

So, since 2011 we have seen a significant increase in TRAP laws (abortion restrictions at the state level) and it's been strategic choice by anti-choice groups to target states for abortion restrictions because they typically lose on a national level. 

Guttmacher tracks all the state restrictions here, https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/overview-abortion-laws

Here's another one discussing all the changes since 2011, https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2015/01/just-last-four-years-states-have-enacted-231-abortion-restrictions

• Options
    @sparklepants41  <3;) gify.com it's a gem of a site