Wedding Etiquette Forum

Do you find the bouquet toss offensive?

Re: Do you find the bouquet toss offensive?

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

When my brother threw the garter, it flopped on the floor in front of the group of single men who all realized they'd had the same idea to not try and catch it. There was a scramble, a very drunk middle-aged man claimed it, and performed the longest "sexy" dance of all time before running the garter up my calf (I stopped him at the knee).
    I've heard of this, but I've never actually seen it done. And thank goodness- that is horrifying!

I'm fine with the "lets do this silly antiquated tradition for fun", but making people uncomfortable is not cool.
  • I never heard of the guy who catches the garter putting it on the woman who catches the bouquet until I came to the knot. Glad I missed that tradition. For my own wedding, I tossed the bouquet and had a picture taken with my MOH who caught it. I think my BIL caught the garter but we don't have a picture of it so I'm not sure.

At recent wedding I've attended (the last six or so years) neither tradition was done. I am not offended by a bouquet toss, but would not like a rude person insisting on ladies going forward if they don't want to do so.

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2017
    I never heard of the guy who catches the garter putting it on the woman who catches the bouquet until I came to the knot. Glad I missed that tradition. For my own wedding, I tossed the bouquet and had a picture taken with my MOH who caught it. I think my BIL caught the garter but we don't have a picture of it so I'm not sure.

At recent wedding I've attended (the last six or so years) neither tradition was done. I am not offended by a bouquet toss, but would not like a rude person insisting on ladies going forward if they don't want to do so.

Ditto. I have never seen that done at any of the weddings I've attended. 
  • edited March 2017
    CMGragain said:
    I don't really care if the bouquet toss is done, or not done.  When my daughter threw hers at her wedding, the bouquet sailed over the heads of the women and landed right in the lap of her new father-in-law, who was very surprised in a traditional Chinese fashion!  (I think those were Chinese cuss words.)  It was very funny.
    I didn't throw my own bouquet.  I gave it to my grandmother, instead.
    I love both of those!

I also love the idea of having kids catch the bouquet. If you're having a child-friendly wedding, that may be a great route to take.
  • We did both the bouquet and garter toss, mainly because a good amount of our crowd is younger/single, and it was just for fun. We would have likely not done either if our crowd was mostly married, and of course we wouldn't force anyone to participate! One of my good friends caught the bouquet, and then the guys let her boyfriend get the garter (this has been the same situation at the last few weddings I've went to). I think it's just a fun tradition to go if you have people that WANT to participate, but no one should ever be forced to do anything or put in an awkward situation!
  • drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    I hate the bouquet toss with the white hot fire of a thousand suns, because there is always ALWAYS some asshole (guest, DJ, bride, groom etc) who has to make a huge scene if a single woman doesn't want to participate and goes out of his/her way to humiliate said woman quietly minding her own business and the then the rest of the guests get in on the harassing as well like a pack of blood drama thirsty "Real Housewives".

I have been known to run full speed in 3 inch heels and hide behind a tree outside the venue to get away from that bullshit.  

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited March 2017
    I hid around the corner for my SIL and brother's wedding since they were calling out everyone who was not married to the floor for the toss.  Oops.  I'm in the bathroom I guess?  I was completely single, and just starting to talk online to my now DH. 

2 years and 4 months later, I got married.  I didn't even need to catch the bouquet!  I know.  That concept is lost on me too. 

edit for words

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited March 2017
    My daughter was at a wedding where she caught the bouquet.  The garter was caught by a six year old little boy!  The DJ insisted going through the garter ceremony.  Fortunately, my daughter was an elementary school teacher, so she coached the kid on what to do and reassured him that it was OK when he got it half way up her calf.  Poor kid!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited March 2017
    CMGragain said:
    My daughter was at a wedding where she caught the bouquet.  The garter was caught by a six year old little boy!  The DJ insisted going through the garter ceremony.  Fortunately, my daughter was an elementary school teacher, so she coached the kid on what to do and reassured him that it was OK when he got it half way up her calf.  Poor kid!
    Me to DJ: "That's not happening." and walking away.
      I dislike DJs at wedding receptions.  So many of them think being crude and suggestive is funny.  Yawn.  Daughter did without a DJ at her own wedding.  It was fine.

Daughter's solution at the other wedding was OK.  She reassured the kid and told him she would help him.  I think if she had made a big scene about it (It crossed her mind.) the child might have been even more embarrassed.  Personally, I would have had some words with the DJ afterwards!

I don't mind the bouquet toss if it is done tastefully, but I think the garter toss is inappropriate at any wedding.  I never heard of it until the 1990s.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    CMGragain said:
    Me to DJ: "That's not happening." and walking away.
      I dislike DJs at wedding receptions.  So many of them think being crude and suggestive is funny.  Yawn.  Daughter did without a DJ at her own wedding.  It was fine.

Daughter's solution at the other wedding was OK.  She reassured the kid and told him she would help him.  I think if she had made a big scene about it (It crossed her mind.) the child might have been even more embarrassed.  Personally, I would have had some words with the DJ afterwards!

I don't mind the bouquet toss if it is done tastefully, but I think the garter toss is inappropriate at any wedding.  I never heard of it until the 1990s.
    Eh, I'd rather the kid be embarrassed than have the chance of accidentally seeing up an adult woman's skirt. Better I make the scene, if there needs to be one, than his mom have to come up and take him out of the situation (even more embarrassing). Hence my choice of reaction. I think there are reasonably subtle but firm ways to get the point that "I'm not going to cooperate with your idiocy" across to the DJ.

I know that's hard to sort out in the moment, so I don't blame your daughter for her choice.
  • CMGragain said:
    Image result for spit out drink shock gif

A 6 year old catching lingerie is weird to begin with. But as soon as that happens, game over. Activity ended. No more. 

Where were this kid's parents? Why did anyone allow this to go forward in any form or fashion? Why? Why wasn't the coaching "you don't have to do things that adults tell you to do that involve lingerie and touching." 
    Exactly this. I would be so appalled if an adult - especially one who is placed in charge of young children - coached my child to put a piece of lingerie up her leg regardless of how high up it went. 

• Short Version: I know bouquet tosses aren't popular here. If a couple had a bouquet toss and no one was pressured or forced to participate, would you find it offensive?

Long Version: While I am not going to do a garter toss, I've been going back and forth on whether or not to have a bouquet toss. I've always felt pretty indifferent towards them, but I've also noticed how uncomfortable they can make other people. I don't want to make other people feel that way! However, when I mentioned in passing to several people at several different times that I wasn't planning to have one, people got upset. They all felt it was something fun. Since I'm not having a dance (or first dances) I'm pretty worried about my reception not being fun or feeling like a wedding reception.

I started looking for alternatives and found a few I liked, but ended up choosing against each one. For example: I decided against anniversary dance as my grandfather passed away earlier this year and I think it would make my grandmother sad not to be able to participate. If my grandfather were still here they would have been the longest married couple.

My venue's planner told me that since I am not having a dance I should plan an exit/something to signal the end so that people know that it's over and it's okay to leave if they wish. I'm not big on the exit since I want to stay until the end so I can spend as much times with my guests as possible. Plus I feel like I should help with the clean up. I thought the bouquet toss might not be a bad way to symbolize the end. On the other hand, I know some people feel strongly against bouquet tosses and I don't want to offend anyone. I'm wondering if I ensured the MC did not pressure anyone by making it clear that it was an only if you want to thing if it would be okay to do. Heck, I'd be open to opening it up to anyone regardless of marital status or gender, I'm just not sure that will fly with my conservative family.

Some numbers:
    About 100 guests total
    There are about 12 single women who I think would happily participate, the majority of these women are among those who have expressed regret that I am not having a bouquet toss
    There are an additional 7 single women who I think would probably participate happily, but I'm not completely certain. I could also probably add in a few children.
    There are 2 single women who are younger than 50 and would feel embarrassed if forced to participate, but again I want participation to be voluntary if I decide to have a bouquet toss.
    There's also a number of widows over the age of 50, but I don't think they would feel any pressure to participate.

Thanks in advance for your feedback :smile:

What does something need in order to feel like a wedding reception? It's a party you have in order to greet your guests and thank them for coming. If you've got good music, good food, etc., it'll be a good wedding reception without any of the usual trappings. Your guests don't need to be entertained by going after a thrown bunch of flowers or watching a bunch of single women do so, and if that's really the only thing that you make everyone stop and watch, I feel like that'll add an odd feel to the party, as if having the bouquet toss and nothing else was your main priority.

Who is currently planning to clean up? I hope you didn't voluntell any family to do that. People can leave whenever they want - you really don't need to signal it.

I was a bridesmaid in a wedding where the bride told us we needed to stay after & help clean up. It was in another state and I had a 2 hr drive home but even if I didn't... so so so tacky to do people. That's what the venue staff is for! I pretty much told her to go f herself :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @OwningAHome1981, I appreciate your response, but today you are hopping all around the boards and digging up old threads.  I, personally, find this a bit irritating.
    If you have a questions, feel free to start a new thread.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• @CMGragain  -   If a thread is bumped that's older than 6 months, we'll close it.  If you see that a thread gets bumped and it's too old for your liking, just don't respond and let it sink back down. You don't need to police the boards scolding people for this. It's super obnoxious.

WORD.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • None of these boards are super active - this was on the first page...come on
  • MobKazMobKaz member

CMGragain said:

So why are you singling me out?  I saw this advice given by two other Knotties in the past few weeks, and nobody objected.  @OwningAHome1981 was all over the boards, yesterday, digging up stale posts.  I only commented on this one, and I was polite about it.

I think we should start asking why the boards are slow.  Why The Knot has hidden the link to us on their home page.  Why the technical support is incredibly bad.  I am becoming a bit frustrated, and I think some of you share this.

I welcome new people, but old posts are irritating.

I have to agree to an extent.  One post in particular actually had a response from April, from I believe the OP, who began with the statement, "UPDATE: This post has a happy ending."  Granted, the thread is only 7 weeks old, but it had clearly run its course, as per the statement from the OP.  It seemed silly to comment further.  Is it harmless?  Sure.  But I can see how it gets old, fast.  It also seems a bit odd considering a poster who had been absent suddenly returns with a flurry of activity.

At the rate The Knot is quickly turning into an old west ghost town, complete with tumbleweeds, I suppose any activity is better than none.  Even with being paged, @KnotRiley is beyond unresponsive.
    edited May 2017
    ,,,,but how are they supposed to FIND us when The Knot took us off their homepage?  I don't think most brides looking at The Knot page even know we exist.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg