Wedding Woes

Dad Refusing to Come to my Wedding

Re: Dad Refusing to Come to my Wedding

• So, are you saying that your dad's wife will not be invited to your ceremony? Just the rehearsal and the reception? 
  • geebee908 I don't "need" to, but I'd like to. I've seen many girlfriends do a majority of planning with their mothers, fathers and FI's and I wish I had that. I've tried to include my dad, like the dress shopping, to spend time with him while planning something very important. I wish he would understand I need quality time with him and want to include him in some things, and not take it as a slight against his SO, but just be able to have that father-daughter time. Unfortunately he won't spend any time with my FI and I without his SO, and I don't feel that she needs to be included in my wedding planning activities. Perhaps I'll now get put burned at the stake for saying that too with these broads...
  • edited March 2017
    elilik01 said:
    geebee908 I don't "need" to, but I'd like to. I've seen many girlfriends do a majority of planning with their mothers, fathers and FI's and I wish I had that. I've tried to include my dad, like the dress shopping, to spend time with him while planning something very important. I wish he would understand I need quality time with him and want to include him in some things, and not take it as a slight against his SO, but just be able to have that father-daughter time. Unfortunately he won't spend any time with my FI and I without his SO, and I don't feel that she needs to be included in my wedding planning activities. Perhaps I'll now get put burned at the stake for saying that too with these broads...
    Listen, I agree that you should be able to see your dad and spend some one on one time with him. But he is marrying her next month. This is going to be his wife. You keep referring to her as "GF". You need to accept the fact that she is going to be his wife. If he wants her included in these activities, that's HIS choice. And you have a choice to say no. 

Also, my mom didn't plan my wedding with me. It was just me and my now husband. I shopped with my MOH and other friends. I barely even saw my dad during the time I was planning my wedding. He never called and asked how anything was going. He showed up the day of and walked me down the aisle. That's it. He had ZERO interest in anything involving my wedding. But guess what? Come the day of the wedding, the only thing I was focused on was my H. The damn pope could have shown up and I don't think I would have realized. 
  • elilik01 said:
    geebee908 I don't "need" to, but I'd like to. I've seen many girlfriends do a majority of planning with their mothers, fathers and FI's and I wish I had that. I've tried to include my dad, like the dress shopping, to spend time with him while planning something very important. I wish he would understand I need quality time with him and want to include him in some things, and not take it as a slight against his SO, but just be able to have that father-daughter time. Unfortunately he won't spend any time with my FI and I without his SO, and I don't feel that she needs to be included in my wedding planning activities. Perhaps I'll now get put burned at the stake for saying that too with these broads...
    Everyone's planning experience, everyone's life experience is different. Would it be great if you could have the same experience as your friends? Of course. And it's fine to wish that things were different. However, the reality is not everyone's planning experience will be the same. 

I didn't have a great time planning, and yes at times it was really disappointing. But at the end of the day throwing a tantrum about how other people get a wonderful, bonding experience, isn't going to change your current situation. I get wanting your dad to be involved, but if he can't or isn't interested dwelling on that won't get your wedding planned, and it will likely only drive you two further apart. 

No one is trying to "burn you at the stake" they're urging you to see your own role in your unhappiness and how choosing to react the way that you have been will only cause further disappointment. 
  • elilik01 said:
    Not everyone gets an ideal planning experience. You're allowed to be disappointed about that. But the adult reaction is to plan your wedding with your FI.

Tell your dad you want to spend some father-daughter time together, and it's nothing against his SO (which he may well not believe, and I wouldn't blame him). However - don't make it about your wedding. Just ask him to go out to lunch. If you really want to spend time with him, it shouldn't have to be connected to your wedding. The most important person in your wedding planning should be your FI, and anyone else's interest or participation is gravy.

You not getting what your friends have is not an excuse to be rude to your father's wife.
  • I don't think you're wrong to want only your dad with you for wedding planning visits, but again, you can't control that he wants to include his FI. So, how do you react to that? Find the positive in getting to have some time with your FI to do these things and get excited for your day. Please don't dwell in the negative of the things you can't control.

Several PPs have told you that you won't really notice your dad's wife's presence at your ceremony. It's really a very small thing in the grand scheme of things, but your reaction is blowing it all out of proportion. Your attitude (if you want a good relationship with your dad) should be that her presence will make him happy, and you don't have to spend more than 30 seconds being cordial to her.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    I know that OP has said that she is in therapy, but I detect a strong whiff of NPD.

She refuses to take any responsibility for her own actions.
    She refuses to admit that she could have done anything wrong here.
    She plays the "poor me" card, seeking sympathy.
    She expresses no empathy at all for either her own father or his fiancee.
    It is all about HER feelings.

Hmmm......

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I honestly think I could say the sky is blue and water is wet right now, and I'll get a bunch of responses on why that's not true either...because I'm just such a "twatwaffle." Look, I understand everyone has different experiences and understand there's little to nothing I have control over, including my fathers actions and decisions. What I need right now is my dad. Perhaps it's hard to understand unless you've literally been there, but I am missing that bonding time with my mother and wishing my only living parent could give me some of that. Maybe it's not what YOU agree with or what YOU experienced, but I'm voicing what my needs and wishes are, and quite honestly, it's not really for any of you to say that I am wrong or shouldn't be expecting that because 1) It's not what you did; or, 2) That's not how the world works.

"Adult reaction is to plan with your FI.." ...Umm that's what I've been doing, but thanks for the reminder I guess? As I've voiced, my FI is amazing and has been planning with me, and it's been wonderful. All I'm saying is, I wish I could have my dad be a part of some of that too without him feeling it's necessary to include his SO. It's been a bone of contention, him feeling the need to include her in everything, it only makes my resentment grow. I am not putting pressure on my father to do a bunch of wedding stuff, and we have been working on 1X1 time together to help rebuild our relationship, and I think we're both appreciative of each other's time and effort. As I mentioned, my dad and his SO have a very co-dependent relationship and that's something they need to work out, but he has allowed her insecurities and issues to influence my relationship with him and that's been difficult to deal with. There isn't a sliver of the dad I thought I knew left, so I've been trying to get to know this new man and be a part of his life, but it hasn't been easy. So yes, there have been time's he and I have both come up with conditions and ultimatums which neither of us should be doing to one another. I don't expect things to be how they were, but it breaks my heart to feel almost cast-aside at this point in life after all we've been through. I don't want him to be lonely or sad, though I think he deserves better than this woman as I do feel he's being manipulated and taken advantage of, as many widows/widowers experience because of that hole in their heart and yearn for companionship. I wish he would understand it's okay and healthy to have time apart, and your own likes and activities, and that spending time with my FI and I doesn't take anything away from his relationship with her, but that's not where we're at and it sucks. Just like I need to be better at understanding he's now part of a "unit" again. I've never been in this position, i just think with "blended families," it's important to keep the relationships you had, strong..different, but still strong and intact. 
  • elilik01 said:
    I honestly think I could say the sky is blue and water is wet right now, and I'll get a bunch of responses on why that's not true either...because I'm just such a "twatwaffle." Look, I understand everyone has different experiences and understand there's little to nothing I have control over, including my fathers actions and decisions. What I need right now is my dad. Perhaps it's hard to understand unless you've literally been there, but I am missing that bonding time with my mother and wishing my only living parent could give me some of that. Maybe it's not what YOU agree with or what YOU experienced, but I'm voicing what my needs and wishes are, and quite honestly, it's not really for any of you to say that I am wrong or shouldn't be expecting that because 1) It's not what you did; or, 2) That's not how the world works.

"Adult reaction is to plan with your FI.." ...Umm that's what I've been doing, but thanks for the reminder I guess? As I've voiced, my FI is amazing and has been planning with me, and it's been wonderful. All I'm saying is, I wish I could have my dad be a part of some of that too without him feeling it's necessary to include his SO. It's been a bone of contention, him feeling the need to include her in everything, it only makes my resentment grow. I am not putting pressure on my father to do a bunch of wedding stuff, and we have been working on 1X1 time together to help rebuild our relationship, and I think we're both appreciative of each other's time and effort. As I mentioned, my dad and his SO have a very co-dependent relationship and that's something they need to work out, but he has allowed her insecurities and issues to influence my relationship with him and that's been difficult to deal with. There isn't a sliver of the dad I thought I knew left, so I've been trying to get to know this new man and be a part of his life, but it hasn't been easy. So yes, there have been time's he and I have both come up with conditions and ultimatums which neither of us should be doing to one another. I don't expect things to be how they were, but it breaks my heart to feel almost cast-aside at this point in life after all we've been through. I don't want him to be lonely or sad, though I think he deserves better than this woman as I do feel he's being manipulated and taken advantage of, as many widows/widowers experience because of that hole in their heart and yearn for companionship. I wish he would understand it's okay and healthy to have time apart, and your own likes and activities, and that spending time with my FI and I doesn't take anything away from his relationship with her, but that's not where we're at and it sucks. Just like I need to be better at understanding he's now part of a "unit" again. I've never been in this position, i just think with "blended families," it's important to keep the relationships you had, strong..different, but still strong and intact. 
    Oh, dear.  You still refuse to admit that your own actions have caused the problem that you originally posted.
    You seem not to notice that not ONE poster has agreed with any part of your actions.
    You ignore the advice others have given you.
    If you want to "keep the relationship strong" with your father, it is completely up to you to apologize to him for your inexcusably rude behavior, which you also refuse to admit.
    I sincerely hope that you are someday able to recognize how you have sabotaged your relationship with your father with your inappropriate behavior.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • elilik01 said:
    I honestly think I could say the sky is blue and water is wet right now, and I'll get a bunch of responses on why that's not true either...because I'm just such a "twatwaffle." Look, I understand everyone has different experiences and understand there's little to nothing I have control over, including my fathers actions and decisions. What I need right now is my dad. Perhaps it's hard to understand unless you've literally been there, but I am missing that bonding time with my mother and wishing my only living parent could give me some of that. Maybe it's not what YOU agree with or what YOU experienced, but I'm voicing what my needs and wishes are, and quite honestly, it's not really for any of you to say that I am wrong or shouldn't be expecting that because 1) It's not what you did; or, 2) That's not how the world works.

Everyone's just trying in many ways to say that if this is important to you, your approach is going counter to this. You are cutting off your nose to spite your face.
  • elilik01 said:
    "Adult reaction is to plan with your FI.." ...Umm that's what I've been doing, but thanks for the reminder I guess? As I've voiced, my FI is amazing and has been planning with me, and it's been wonderful. All I'm saying is, I wish I could have my dad be a part of some of that too without him feeling it's necessary to include his SO. It's been a bone of contention, him feeling the need to include her in everything, it only makes my resentment grow. I am not putting pressure on my father to do a bunch of wedding stuff, and we have been working on 1X1 time together to help rebuild our relationship, and I think we're both appreciative of each other's time and effort. As I mentioned, my dad and his SO have a very co-dependent relationship and that's something they need to work out, but he has allowed her insecurities and issues to influence my relationship with him and that's been difficult to deal with. 
    To bolded; If this is the case, no matter what you ask/say/etc he will want her around. You may have to just 'accept and move on' because if it's co-dependent, you won't have much of a choice.
  • elilik01 said:

Okay. Are you willing to spend time with him and his FI without your FI? If not, you're being hypocritical. Maybe you need to learn to maintain family ties as much as (or more than) he does. 

Honestly, I'm curious as to why exactly you hate his FI. Is it just because she isn't your mom or something else? If just the prior, that is unjust to her. If the latter, what concrete evidence do you have to her "manipulating" him or otherwise taking advantage of him. These accusations you're making aren't slight. So if you have no proof, stop. If you do have proof, take it to appropriate authorities that can protect him. 

Look, I know you want to be the sun of your dad's life right now but please stop feeling so entitled. He's human. His relationship is his choice and right. And his world does and should not revolve around you wedding or no wedding. 

All heathy relationships are give AND take. What have you given besides negativity and ultimatums? Have a breather and think about it. 
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2017
    You're confusing needs and wants OP. You need a willing partner, legal celebrant and a license in order to be married. You want everything else. 
    Yep. Your dad is not going to fit the picture you want, and he's his own person and shouldn't have to. It is his prerogative to make the choices he's making. you can choose to cut him out of your life over that, but it will be your choice and it will be a petty one. Stop trying to force it. It will not be forced.

What you need is better counseling. One on one. So you can come to terms with the stuff that's out of your control instead of looking at the world as if you are a victim of all your circumstances.
  • You're confusing needs and wants OP. You need a willing partner, legal celebrant and a license in order to be married. You want everything else. 
    Yep. Your dad is not going to fit the picture you want, and he's his own person and shouldn't have to. It is his prerogative to make the choices he's making. you can choose to cut him out of your life over that, but it will be your choice and it will be a petty one. Stop trying to force it. It will not be forced.

What you need is better counseling. One on one.
    That's what I've been thinking.  Your counselor is doing you no favors, OP, if she/he is not giving you the tools to manage your emotions regarding your mom's death, your relationship with your dad, and your dad's future wife.  

Also, we don't know your history with your dad, your mom, your dad's FI, etc.  So we can only take what you say at face-value.  There's a lot of vagueness and many things that can be left open to interpretation.  Therefore, we're all coming from our own perspective from the life we've lived and situations we've been in or people close to us have experienced. 

How does your FI feel about all of this? What kind of support do you get from him?  Do you have siblings?  If so, what's your relationship like with them?  What's their relationship with your dad and your dad's FI? 

And also, at the end of the day you cannot change people, only your reaction to them.  So if you *want* to keep a relationship with your dad that is mostly free of tension and/or conflict, you need to figure out how to do that.  There's nothing wrong with boundaries, but you have to choose what your boundaries are and stick to them.  
  • I'm beginning to question who is the actual co-dependent in this story.
  • geebee908 said:
    I'm beginning to question who is the actual co-dependent in this story.
    I just wonder about the poor FI. He seems to have no role in this drama play OP's writing. Inconsequential.