Wedding Woes
Options

Happy Monday!!!

I had a great weekend.  The hike on Saturday was amazing.     Worked yesterday.    

After a calmer head, him taking me off the weekend hosting shifts has been good for me.   I actually had off every night over the weekend.  Got to see a concert, had dinner with friends.  My schedule is also more in line with other hiking buddies.     

I will see where the next few schedules take me.  July is the busiest money here.  I make good money.   Hiking doesn't really cost much money except for gas and an occasional lunch and drinks afterwards.    If I work 4-5 days a week and hike the others I can still save a bunch of money.  Especially since I eat for free at work. Which means if I work a double I do not have any food expenses for the day.

I think I caught the new director by surprise.  We were talking about about 4th of July (we have some 900 people come).  I said work me all you want, once September comes I will not be paid until December.  So I want to work as much as possible.

He said, "well how does unemployment work, you should get that right?"      

Nope,  Seasonal employees in CO are NOT eligible for unemployment (unless you are laid off in the middle of the season.)         You see in CA and ID where he and all his guys use to work allow seasonal unemployment during the off time.   I think these new guys are in for a rude awakening when fall comes and there is no work or unemployment.      

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Happy Monday!!!

• Options
    Hello!
    Glad you both had good & productive weekends!

Saturday H & I went to dinner at my parents' house. It was rainy and then super hot & humid on Saturday, so we stayed indoors and got a bunch done around the house during the day. 

Yesterday I did a lot of work in my garden, including transplanting a hydrangea I need to rehab and planting a new larger one in its place. Probably - well, definitely - more work than I should have done, but I got a lot of rest afterwards and am super proud of how it all looks. Plus the hydrangeas that survived the winter well all have surpassed the old growth and are blooming like crazy. 

Today I have the morning to catch up on a few things and then am leading presentation prep meetings in the afternoon. The day should fly by. Looking forward to enjoying the evening daylight and taking the pup for a walk.
  • Options
    @lyndausvi  glad you were able to relax this weekend :)
    For seasonal in Canada, many places will specifically lay off the employees so they're able to collect unemployment over the months they don't work.

@DrillSergeantCat  Don't ignore the misc boxes. I swear we're going through boxes now that were set as "misc" and half the stuff is gone lol
    Yay for playhouse and still loving your house ;)

Weekend didn't end up being as busy as expected - thankfully.
    On Friday, M went to football opener, and I stayed home. I cleaned a bit but mostly just relaxed and watched a movie {"My Girl 2" - netflix ;)!}

Saturday was busy. M went to range with a friend, and then they came over afterwards. Got our patio table built. Was able to sit outside for some time while M BBQ'd for us and friends. The guys played poker. I tried but I'm not that good. They weren't playing for real money.
    They didn't leave until like 2am.

Sunday M was suppose to go out again but since we went to bed so late, he cancelled and we just had pretty lax day.
    I did some cleaning - because grass came in while being in and out of the house day before. Swept and vacuumed. Then did the upstairs.

Told M that on Friday while people are at our place, I want him to bring in a tote so I can go through it somewhat. I know a lot of it is mine.

Hoping this week will be the week I see my friend for coffee like we've been trying lmao
    And tomorrow we're going to see "Wonder Woman" with M's work. :) I'm stoked lol

It's calling for rain on Canada Day, but I'm hoping not because I wanna eat outside and go see fireworks :'(
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Loving the cat-dog stories @kimmiinthemitten! When we first got Charlie, Charlotte wouldn't go near him and he was so sad he just wanted to play with her. We kept them barricaded by moving boxes so it looked like we had a fort set up throughout our first floor. 

Weekend was good; date night Saturday, then work around the house yesterday. H is staining the outdoor steps and fence and I'm (still) interview prepping. I need to pack/plan for this week with interview Friday, grad party Saturday, and wedding on Sunday. Super excited because I'll stay with my sister and her H, and the baby!
  • Options

@lyndausvi, I read your Fri. post and am still in utter disbelief they actually called your H in to a meeting about your performance.  I'm glad you had a better weekend.

@DrillSergeantCat, glad you are liking the new house and got a lot of unpacking done over the weekend!

Friday was a bad day, but I knew it would be.  I had to file my first ever eviction :(.  I worked my typical half day, which was busier than normal.  But because I was so pre-occupied, I kept making so many stupid mistakes.  Grrr.  I caught them all, at least I think, but I ended up having to stay at work an hour later than usual.

We were originally going to file on Wed., but the tenant begged for one more day because he would have the rent on Thurs.  A lie, as usual for him.  He and my H scheduled a meeting at noon on Thursday.  Which he didn't show up for.  And then finally gave my H a call at 3:00 that he only had $300, with not even a mention of when he would have the other $500.  We refused to accept it.  Accepting partial rent means we'd have to give them ANOTHER 5 day notice before we could file for eviction.  I know, it's incredibly dumb and annoying, but that's how most jurisdictions in the U.S. work.

Here's the thing that is especially infuriating.  It's bad enough when someone doesn't pay their rent.  But they can also just LEAVE and inform me in writing they are leaving/left as of X date.  That's the "second" part of any "Pay or Quit" notice.  They can pay.  Or they can "quit".  Which saves me a tremendous amount of money, because it saves me time and eviction fees.  And they also won't get an eviction on their record!  However, forcing me to file, only buys them another 2-3 weeks anyway.

But they are total "ostrich people", so I'm hardly surprised.  As in, when they run into trouble...instead of adulting, they stick their head in the sand and hope everything magically turns out fine. 

At any rate, our court date is July 10th.  Ironically, when their July rent is due.  One good thing I found out, for evictions, tenants don't have to be served in person.  The process server posts a notice with the eviction court information on their door and the same info is also sent through the mail.

But on to bigger and better things.

The upcoming 4th of July weekend is a 4-dayer for me because I am taking a vacation day on Monday.  Plus, my cousin and her H, who live in FL, are driving to Houston for a baby shower.  But they are going to stop and stay with us for a few days.  So there is a lot to look forward to at the end of the week!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    @short+sassy that's similar to how bogus checks are handled here with regards to the partial payments. I had a customer write a hot check that she knew was hot (she had asked me to hold it, to postdate it, how long it would take to clear) and then tried to set up a payment arrangement when it didn't clear. I didn't know it at the time, but had we accepted partial payment, the DA wouldn't take our case. I've got another one I'm going to start a case on today if he doesn't give me a credit card.
  • Options
    cray about the "partial payment" thing, @drillsergeantcat!
    Good luck with it all @short+sassy
    @lyndausvi, I'm jealous of all your hikes.  I used to love doing nature hikes but in my old age the bugs and heat have me beat.  What's the weather like for you?

My weekend was OK.  Friday I tried taking my parents to a highly rated restaurant.  They loved their meals, but I ordered the butternut squash ravioli.  It tasted exactly like lean cuisine's ravioli.  Which is still good - but I paid $25 instead of the $3.29 Lean cuisine charges me.

Saturday was LakeShake downtown, and we all agreed going once was enough.  It was, in our eyes, extremely unorganized. Not enough outhouses, venues, etc.  You had to stand in line 1 hr for a drink and the same for the toilets.  The sound reaching general admission kinda sucked.  It just wasn't our thing.  Concerts to me, again, in my old age - aren't worth my time and money anymore. 

• Options
    @short+sassy  jeez that sounds like a hassle {although "ostrich people" makes me laugh because I'm picturing it in the literal sense ;) } Hopefully those people opt to "quit" :\
  • Options
    @CharmedPam where'd you go?  A couple GF and I are contemplating a last minute weekend jaunt to Chicago and I'm always looking for new places to try!
  • Options
    @kimmiinthemiten, Trattoria No. 10.  It's an Italian place and it is near the theater district.  My mom had the duck farfalle and it was really good.  I would order that next time.  Oops.  My dish was $23 not $25 :)

• Options
    Question - I know a lot of you suggest "Murphy's" for mopping, but I'm curious on your thoughts on method products? Floor cleaner I'm looking at but the products in general.
  • Options

Question - I know a lot of you suggest "Murphy's" for mopping, but I'm curious on your thoughts on method products? Floor cleaner I'm looking at but the products in general.

I love Method. They have a degreaser that works really well. 
  • Options

I use Method hand and dish soaps.  I love them!
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2017
    @misskittydanger, I hope you like Wonder Woman.  I took my mom to it yesterday.  She didn't want to go.  Wanted to see a romance instead (I really don't think one is out right now.....?) and was irked that I purchased tickets for us to go (she said she would when she had a few to drink Saturday night.  Sunday morning she was like "you did what?!").

As it turns out - she loved it more than us*

*this could be a skewed review, as I fell asleep during some of the middle and the very end! I wanted to stay awake.  I tried.  I blame the darn comfy reclining seats. I didn't fall asleep because I was bored and didn't like it.  I fall asleep during a lot of movies I like!

• Options
    @DrillSergeantCat  stupid question, what's a degreaser? lol

@kimmiinthemitten  have you used the counter or bathroom cleaner?

Our stuff smells really strong, and it's okay with bathroom fan going but it's still strong. Bleach scent. I love our stuff but M has hard time with smell and in our smaller bathroom it's stronger.
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger it's a cleaner that cuts through grease really well. Like when I cook anything with oil or fat in it, some splashes out and this cleans it really well and smells great too.
  • Options
    @CharmedPam  My mum doesn't wanna see it because she's an original Linda Carter fan and feels it won't be the same {no mum, it won't. It's better. Linda Carter likes Gal Gadot ....} but luckily M's work is doing a movie night and he doesn't care if he sees it or not lol
  • Options

@CharmedPam  My mum doesn't wanna see it because she's an original Linda Carter fan and feels it won't be the same {no mum, it won't. It's better. Linda Carter likes Gal Gadot ....} but luckily M's work is doing a movie night and he doesn't care if he sees it or not lol

As an aside, your H's new employer sounds awesome!  In the short time he has been there, I think this is the second time you've mentioned a company sponsored fun event.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

As an aside, your H's new employer sounds awesome!  In the short time he has been there, I think this is the second time you've mentioned a company sponsored fun event.

Omg right!?
    They're really big on doing stuff as a group so you're not always interacting at work.
    The CEO and CTO are husband and wife, so that might have a big part on that :)

Fun fact; when I met the CEO and CTO I didn't even realize until we left and M told me who they were. It's refreshing from the crap M's old job did
    {side note; his old job was like that before things went down hill .... not to the same degree, but same feel. That's what M loved about them}
  • Options

@MissKittyDanger it's a cleaner that cuts through grease really well. Like when I cook anything with oil or fat in it, some splashes out and this cleans it really well and smells great too.

Ohhh okay! Would that work as an oven cleaner also or just stove top?
  • Options

Hi All!

Weekend was good and busy.  Saturday was a graduation party and there was super yummy food!  Sunday was a baby shower with some ok food - LOL!  The baby shower was interesting.  One girl left like 10 minutes after it started because he ex-BF was there and her current BF who was with her got jealous and they needed to go.  WTF?  I guess I will never understand!  I told H that if I saw an ex, I'd be like there's my ex - are you going to finish your fries? Ha!

I do hope that mom-to-be and dad make it.  MTB kept asking for DTB to come help her open gifts, he just kept smiling or winking at her and going off somewhere else to hide.  Then it was, there is no room for me to sit, etc.  So I was on a couch with DD and the gift writer downer.  H had been sitting next to me (but he got up for a drink), so I volunteered to take Hs seat and slide everyone down so DTB could sit next to MTB.  Well he still hemmed about it and eventually grabbed 2 beers from the fridge and sat down to help.  He never NOT had a beer in hand the whole time. 

Apparently H told me on the way home that DTBs grandma had passed semi-recently so there is an in-law suite available at his parents house for them to live.  They just would have a minimal rent payment.  They keep refusing because of the rent.  So they will stay in a small house with MTBs parents, where they are already wearing out their welcome.  At this point it seems as if the baby will be sleeping in the hallway because MTB won't clean her room enough to fit the bassinet in.  MTB's dad even offered to paint and rearrange the furniture and fix the closet in the bedroom so that they can all fit in there.  MTB always says she is too tired to do anything now and DTB (even though he works part time only) sleeps most of the day away and doesn't help at all around the house.  It will be a rude awakening for both of them in another month!  Based off of what my H says (he is MTB's dad's BFF) I think DTB doesn't want to move them to the bigger place because he wants to be able to peace out freely when he wants/needs.  But if they all lived at his parent's place - it would be much harder.

Thankfully they received a ton of stuff and hopefully won't need to put too much out of pocket for stuff they need.

Tonight is DD 4 month checkup.  I can't wait to see how much she weights and how tall she is.  It's like she has tripled in size since she was born!  Then its dinner and a trip to BJs for some bulk goods.

• Options
    Today is studying and decompressing from the weekend. We had a bbq yesterday which actually turned out to be more work than I thought, probably because it was 106 and no one wanted to be outside. The asphalt at the grocery store was melting. Our AC couldn't keep up and it ended up being almost 80 in the house too. But compared to outside it felt pretty cool. It's supposed to be 106 again today.  :s send help. 

I just have to snark a little bit on SO's brother's wedding. His brother told me yesterday that they are legally getting married on Wednesday. Their rsvp date for what i now know to be their PPD is June 30, but the wedding is in mid august. And there's a three hour gap and cash bar. I had come to terms with the gap and cash bar, but knowing they're getting legally married on Wednesday is tipping it for me. There's not even a reason! Just "we have 90 days to hold it so we're signing on Wednesday with a witness and just sending it in." What? Why can't they just get it Wednesday and sign it at the wedding? Ugh. 

• Options
    So they eleminated my host position.(main position).  Ha. Saw that coming.   At least i wear different hats and still can work other areas.        

Today i  was asked if i was available for the member hike on Thursday.   I was on the schedule to host.  I sent an passive-agreessive message to the director saying since they elimanted my position did they really need me thursday night.  He told me i could do the hike.   Yay for getting paid  for what i love to do.

The weather here is great.  Mid-80's.  Low to no humility.   Sunny skies.  Great hiking weather. 

Back to work.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @levioosa to the entire "Wedding"

I'm supposed to go to a bridal shower (with no registry so not sure the point) for the "friend" who allowed her other friend to call me a POS asshole next month. I've decided I'm not going to the shower or PPD, but I'll continue the afghan I'm making for her and just give it to her mother to pass along to her.
  • Options
    yeah, everyone has that 90 day hold!  You get your license when you can before the wedding and within that 90 days.  In our case just the day before! We were OOT and didnt want to fly in beforehand for it.

ugh.  I went to my friend's wedding on May 20th and she just emailed me and said "we're starting to get people asking if we received their gifts (checks) because we haven't had a chance to send thank you cards or deposit the checks".  Of course you are!  That wedding was over 6 weeks ago.  People HATE when people sit on checks.  I know we do!

maybe she's waiting to send thank you's before depositing, so for the courtesy of the check writers, write those notes or cash them without writing them then.  And don't we all have bank apps that make this SUPER easy now?

• Options

yeah, everyone has that 90 day hold!  You get your license when you can before the wedding and within that 90 days.  In our case just the day before! We were OOT and didnt want to fly in beforehand for it.

ugh.  I went to my friend's wedding on May 20th and she just emailed me and said "we're starting to get people asking if we received their gifts (checks) because we haven't had a chance to send thank you cards or deposit the checks".  Of course you are!  That wedding was over 6 weeks ago.  People HATE when people sit on checks.  I know we do!

maybe she's waiting to send thank you's before depositing, so for the courtesy of the check writers, write those notes or cash them without writing them then.  And don't we all have bank apps that make this SUPER easy now?

I sent a gift for a May 20th wedding and haven't received a thank you note either. It was sent several weeks before the wedding. Geez! BTW, how did you like The King and I. We loved it. I'm such a sucker for old style musicals! The leads were amazing - especially Anna.
  • Options
    yeah the singing was amazing!  I just didnt find it as entertaining as other musical's I've been to.  It was good - not great.  The reviews were great for this, so you're in the majority.  I just needed more of "something"....

• Options

It'd make sense if they were waiting to do thank-you notes after the cheques were deposited {so there wasn't any issues} but this is so long.
    We waited a week after getting married to deposit cheques because we had so much to do, and I felt bad to wait a week!