Not Engaged Yet
Options

S/O What is your LEAST favorite thing that happens at weddings?

2»

Re: S/O What is your LEAST favorite thing that happens at weddings?

• Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_least-favorite-thing-happens-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c72608c3-e77d-4a22-bd1d-93a9b603365fPost:13b0c623-5947-4674-a114-56e900c49835">Re: S/O What is your LEAST favorite thing that happens at weddings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only time I've seen a slideshow it was fine. It was a surprise for the bride and groom--all of us in the wedding party gathered the photos. It was playing on the wall behind the sweetheart table on a loop through dinner, so it didn't actually interrupt anything. If I had to sit still and just watch it, that would be tedious.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

<p style="margin:0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="line-height:115%;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:#1f1f1f;font-size:8.5pt;">See that sounds fine.  The whole wedding seemed to be centered on this.  It was god awful.  It started out with their baby pictures then them growing up, as adults, finally of them together, then their engagement pictures.  But before the ones of them together, there was like a million of them alone and each time period had its own PowerPoint, one for her one for him.  I just about died. </span></p>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    defintely boquet and the garter toss.

Anniversary

• Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

-Groom going up the bride's skirt to get the garter. It's just inappropriate. I'm ok with a simple bouquet or gartar toss-one that doens't involve dragging people on to the dance floor. All the weddings I've ever been to, there were plenty of volunteers, so no one felt awkward.

-Cash bars. It's just bad hosting.

-Bad DJs. Either overbearing or ones that play bad music, or don't do enough to keep things going. It really makes or breaks the reception, IMO.

-Money dances. Please, I just (most likely) traveled to your wedding, and gave you a gift-I'm not pinning money onto you for the privilege of a 20 second spin around the dance floor.

-I think table assignments are a must, but I hate it when there isn't enough thought put in to it, and you end up sitting with a totally random group of people, while all your friends are at another table.

- I think overly extravagant introductions are a little tacky-the ones with props and dances, etc.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    -Bouquet and garter toss
    -Not having a hotel close to the reception

But most of all..

-Head tables (as a lot of people seem to be saying).
    I think it's really selfish of the B and G to force their BP to sit up front without their dates. I also think it is tacky and pointless.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My H and I didn't know our officiant, and he gave a little sermon that was so NOT us. Not super religious but overly so given that I'm agnostic. I had tried to tell him what we wanted, and then he started the sermon by saying I was a control freak. Yay.

That was the least favorite part of my wedding.

In general, I have issues with the food b/c I"m a veggie and I rarely end up full or happy with the food.

I also dislike head tables. We had a seating chart and assigned tables but not chairs. We also used different sized tables, so we had a sweetheart table, a couple 10 person tables, a 12 person table, a couple 8 person tables, etc. That way we were able to keep friends/family groups together. It worked out really well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_least-favorite-thing-happens-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c72608c3-e77d-4a22-bd1d-93a9b603365fPost:f7e1f0ef-25a7-49a0-9f1f-dcf8315c2fb4">Re: S/O What is your LEAST favorite thing that happens at weddings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O What is your LEAST favorite thing that happens at weddings? : Wait, wait. He SAID this in his sermon?? 
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

He may not have used the word 'freak." But he said something about me being controlling.

Everything I sent him did NOT mention God, but his little sermon thing was about a statue in France and the hands of Christ.

So...I wasn't entirely happy with our ceremony, but we ended up married, and my H and I had a glorious wedding day on the whole. Plus, it makes for a good story. So I try not to be too bitter about it! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Head tables.

Garter toss. Bouquets I don't mind as much as long as everyone is a willing participant (though I don't know if I'll have it at mine as I think I may only have like two girls max that are single. I may do the couple's dance thing), but ther garter? My thoughts are akin to, "Dude. Get your hands and especially your HEAD outta there!" and then shuffling uncomfortably. We'll probably have it at our wedding though, as FI thinks it'd be fun *sigh* I did tell him it would be a hands only affair though.

Food. Like Desert, I'm a veggie, and there is so rarely an option for me. I may get salad that's almost gone bafore I get to it, but that's usually about it. Or it's alfredo and poorly done.

• Options
    throoperthrooper member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    * Dry weddings/cash bars.... It's a party, bring on the booze!  (Ditto for cash bars.  Yeah it's pricey, but you're throwing a big party for your friends and family, and they're paying to get there and give you presents....)

* Seating charts that separate good friends who haven't seen each other in a long time.  Random, yes, but i recently went to college friends' wedding and was SO excited to hang with my 4 or 5 best friends from school.  We hadn't all hung out in 5 years, but the seating chart had us scattered around to "meet and mingle with new people".  Uh, no thanks!  (We cheated the chart.)

* Religious.  Nuff said, personal preference.
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_least-favorite-thing-happens-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c72608c3-e77d-4a22-bd1d-93a9b603365fPost:d29f25fe-da6a-4d6d-b949-80fa3f4e84bc">Re: S/O What is your LEAST favorite thing that happens at weddings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My H and I didn't know our officiant, and he gave a little sermon that was so NOT us. Not super religious but overly so given that I'm agnostic. I had tried to tell him what we wanted, and then he started the sermon by saying I was a control freak. Yay. That was the least favorite part of my wedding. In general, I have issues with the food<strong> b/c I"m a veggie</strong> and I rarely end up full or happy with the food. I also dislike head tables. We had a seating chart and assigned tables but not chairs. We also used different sized tables, so we had a sweetheart table, a couple 10 person tables, a 12 person table, a couple 8 person tables, etc. That way we were able to keep friends/family groups together. It worked out really well.
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

How did I not know this?

I've had reasonable luck with food (maybe the weddings I've been to have been more veggie friendly). The best was the platter I got at a Vietnamese wedding. That was the first time I tried vegan shrimp.

When we had our food tasting, I insisted on trying the veggie dish, which I think they normally don't do. The chef said they were making angel hair pasta with rock shrimp. It took me about five minutes to convince the chef that shrimp are not vegetarian! And no, they weren't the vegan shrimp mentioned above.
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Desert, you're more forgiving than I am. I would be furious, and any talk of God or Jesus during our ceremony would have FI fit to kill. That was his first request, that the ceremony be entirely secular. I am rather ambivalent on wedding food, as I find most mediocre at best. It's something where we've put an awful lot of thought (and money) and we have tried to make sure there is plenty for everyone, so I hope our guests leave happy and full. We actually are signing our caterer contract tomorrow, so a lot of this was discussed today, so I'm gonna AW for a sec. We're doing 2-3 of the 8 passed apps suitable for vegetarians, a stationary appetizer table with vegan dips like baba ganoush and hummus with veggies, as well as bruchetta, olives and artichoke hearts. For dinner, we're having 4 stations in an international tapas style with several of the main plates at each station being vegetarian. There's fish, chicken, lamb, and beef as well, so something for everyone! We even have gluten free items. It's like a freaking restaurant!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    - Cash bars are tacky no matter how you try to justify it.
    - Awkward songs to dance to that result in everyone awkwardly swaying and talking in small circles.
    - Buffets
    - Garter tosses. My grandma doesn't need to see FI going up my dress.

I went to a wedding once that my dad was the best man in. They had a head table, but instead of seperating all the BP from their families, they only had the MOH and Best Man and their families at the table with them. The rest of the BM and GM sat at tables close by with their families. I thought it was a great idea and I plan on doing that. I think sweetheart tables are awkward. I want to talk to my friends during the reception without yelling across the room.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm very late to this thread, but since it's 2 a.m. here and I'm not at all tired (I'm overcaffeinated and slept late this morning), I'm going to respond.

1.  Like a lot of you, I dislike the money dance, garter retrieval, and bouquet toss.

2.  I hate when the couple is introduced, for the first time, as "Mr. and Mrs. Hisfirstname Hislastname."  I know that my desire to keep my last name puts me in the slight minority around here, and I don't have a problem with women choosing to change, but why should she lose her first name, too?

3.  I actually don't mind religious ceremonies if religion is important to the couple.  After all, marriage itself originated as a religious rite.  (Though I'm like Cate; I want our ceremony to be completely secular).  I do dislike really looong ceremonies.  Anything over half an hour is much too long, in my opinion.  I always enjoy the first few minutes of ceremonies, then quickly find myself thinking, "Is it time to go drink yet?"

4. The cocktail hour.  Maybe it's just because most weddings I've been to have had "low key" cocktail hours, but I just find them so boring.  By that point, I just want to sit down and have some real food.  Standing next to a tiny table and hoping to score a crabcake just isn't my idea of fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards