Chit Chat
Options

Like or Dislike Your Future In Laws

Re: Like or Dislike Your Future In Laws

• Options
    Love my FMIL and FFIL.  FSIL (FI's brother's wife) I could do without though.
  • Options
    Love, Love, LOVE his parents AND his brothers and sisters!! :) Thank god!!
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love my future FIL.

My future MIL is generous and always nice to me. I just don't like the way she treats my fiance and his brothers sometimes!

When we wrote up the guest list months ago, she said we shouldn't invite her 2nd cousins (about 30 people total) because there was some family feud or whatever going on.

Last week, this family complained about not being invited. My FMIL is IRATE with my fiance for not inviting them, and keeps accusing him of not caring about his family, etc. (We're inviting over 100 of his family members, btw) Poor fiance actually cried about it this weekend :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have zero in common with my future in-laws and they've been a source of many of our fights. In fact fiance and I went to marriage therapy with the specific goal of figuring out what to do about his family. I love my fiance with all my heart, but I'm worried about what the future holds in regards to his family.
  • Options
    So far, I get along with my FILs.  Before my fiance' and I were engaged his family always hinted around and asked when were we getting married.  No complaints about the future-in-laws yet  Wink
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    133 Invited image 92 Are ready to celebrate! image 24 Are missing out image 17 Can't find the mailbox. image
  • Options
    I love them, they're all great!  Wish I got to see FSILs more though, they're probably the most fun people I know but it's hard for them to get out much because they have young kids.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I absolutely adore my FMIL and FSIL!!!  As for his dad, he is very nice and pleasent to me...when he is sober.  He has been to rehab 4 times and just keeps on relapsing.  Without getting into details, he is never mean or malicious but I don't like the way he treats my FI and FMIL. 

But I guess I do have it better than most!
    September 2011 August Siggy Challenge- Drag Queens!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My ILs are awesome.  They treat me like I'm one of the family, and pretty much have done so from the time we started dating. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    I get along well with both FFIL and FMIL, as well as FI's siblings (some better than other, but all okay). FMIL is very sweet, and has been really helpful with wedding planning since my mom doesn't live here. Sometimes FILs do stuff that doesn't make sense, but they always respect our boundaries, don't meddle or interfere or pass judgement, and are generous with us (can you ask for anything more?). After reading all the family issues people have on these boards, I appreciate both FILs and my family so much more - they are paying for most of the wedding, but haven't asked to change a single thing, not even the guest list. They're just there to help.
  • Options
    PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    I honestly love them. My poor FH got the short end of the stick when it comes to inlaws. I love my family too but they are craaazy. They aren't ever going to accept FH because he's not Catholic or conservative or rich. C'est la vie.

His mom is wonderful. His stepdad can be kind of a jerk but it's his sense of humor to make people uncomfortable at times. For the most part he's a good guy. His sister is very sweet. I see them more often than I do my own family and honestly prefer their company.

They're almost TOO nice. They actually remember my birthday and always get me expensive things for xmas and birthday and it's awkward because I can't really reciprocate. Plus I don't think my family is ever gooing to get FH anything. And recently his mom decided she's going to treat me to a mani/pedi everytime I visit. Eek!  They always take us out to dinner and insist on paying for us too.

I have mixed feelings about his dad but then I've only been around him twice since he's on the other side of the country. About to see him again in a week. I don't think I'll get a chance to get close to his stepmom and those two sisters since when his dad comes out he usually comes out by himself due to cost. He will probably attend our wedding alone.
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • Options

I love my FMIL. She's really sweet and a lot of what she does makes me either roll my eyes or laugh because it's silly. On the other hand, I do not like my FFIL. No one in FI's family really cares for FFIL which is sad. He's not very nice to anyone and has to make everyone feel miserable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    My FI's family is complicated. There's his adoptive family who he was raised by, who I love to death. Then there are his biological parents (the mother was also adopted into the same family- his mother is actually his adopted sister... long story there.) His biological mother I can tolerate, and thankfully don't see her too often. She is a tweaker and hangs out/lives with trashy friends in the ghetto. (My FI just got back in touch with her a couple years ago after 5 years of not talking... another long story.) Anyway, his mom lives a rough lifestyle, but she's never been rude or mean or snippy to me. She is who she is.
    His biological dad, on the other hand, I absolutely cannot stand. He's a 50-something year old drunk freeloading off of his sister. The man rides a tricycle (yes, a tricycle) with custom handle bars that are way too big for the thing. (The tricycle helps him keep his balance when he's peddling around town drunk.) He thinks he looks cool on this thing, but really he looks rediculous. He had nothing to do with FI's upbringing, but now is all snivelly and whiny because FI doesn't call or see him that often. Oh, I should also mention that this man has fathered at least 10 children, most of whom have different mothers. (I think only 3 have the same mom.) FI has only met one of these siblings, a sister (whom I've yet to meet, and we've been together nearly 3 years). This sister is a year older than him, even though FI's mom and dad were together 4 years before he was born... yeah. The guy laughs about cheating on his ex-girlfriends and wives. Every now and then he shows up at our apartment. Thankfully FI usually stays outside with him, because he knows I don't like him, especially when he got snippy at me one evening when he showed up unannounced when FI wasn't home. I have no respect for this man, and frankly don't understand why FI feels he needs to have any relationship with him. I know he feels sorry for his dad.

Anyway, I don't think I will ever recognize his biological dad as my FIL. His adopted mother passed away last year, but I always told people she was my MIL, and she told people I was her DIL. She could be annoying sometimes (she was up in her 70s and lonely), but I loved her to death. FI's adopted family is the family I always dreamed of having.

Then there's MY family. Sadly I don't think FI will ever have much of a relationship with them, as my family hates him and he hates them. He kinda got the bum end of the deal. My family is extremely disfunctional, and I try to keep contact with them to a minimum these days. I don't even know if they will be coming to our wedding or not. Or if I even want them there.

Sorry for the long ramble, lol. Told you guys it was complicated. :p
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." --The Beatles
  • Options
    I think I'm very lucky! His family is great! FMIL is funny and so sweet to me and never steps on my toes. FFIL is great too! In fact on the day FI proposed he said "Now i have 3 daughters". :) FSILs (2) and FBIL (FSIL's FI) are great too! We are both very close with our families and we are super lucky that we both love each other's families. My parents (mom, dad and step mom) all love him and my sisters are like his sisters. In fact me and FI are my niece's god parents. He gets along well with my brother too! And we are so blessed to have so much family and we spend a lot of time with all our aunts, uncles, and cousins. Zero complaints at this point!
  • Options

I love my soon to be in-laws....it's not awkward or odd...

always happy to see us and my FMIL was so upset last year when I was having migraines she was fretting that they were stressing me out and causing me to be sick...NO WAY, I felt awful I was not out and about with them one day.

they are so understanding and really welcoming (for christmas my FMIL had a painting done with santa's list...I was on it)....even the FI's grandma said she needs to teach someone in the family her recipes and she said I should learn.

it's nice i don't have the stress and drama of hating the "in laws"

imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options

My future father-in-law is a sweetheart.  I can understand why he divorced my future mother-in-law 25 years ago!!  She's devious and underhanded and always wants the attention to be on her.  AND - on top of all that - she's not very smart!  I'm so thankful that we live far enough away (1 hour drive) that we only see her on birthdays and holidays.

• Options
    Im not going to say Dislike the FIL's  im just going to say its tough... i think his mother is a strong personality like myself and we butt heads alot-and well its ugghhhh... but other times she is too nice which makes me want to include her and interact more with her and when I do she ends up being "herself" and im back where I started, I guess its all a part of it- those of you who have FIL that you LOVE LOVE  and get along with- Good 4 U!... I will say though that when i have kids, and If i have a son im going to do everything in my power not to be an overbearing mother, its just soo unfair!
  • Options
    I really love my Mother and Father in law, but my sister in law is a completely witch!! Even I've tried thousand times be funny or nice with her but she's a witch!!!! YellEven my boyfriend dosn't like her and sometimes he don't talk with her for weeks!
    I don't hate her but I don't like either

Kisses for all of you!!
  • Options
    My FMIL died 3 months before FI and I started dating. It's part of what brought us together (He was looking for answers and I had Jesus) My FFIL is an interesting guy. He's not very social so we don't have many interactions but he annoys my FI so much and expects him to do everything his mom used to do (namely, EVERYTHING) so I get annoyed wondering if he realizes that once we get married he is going to have his own family to take care of instead of just FFIL and FSIL. I like them well enough they just take a LOT of patience :)
  • Options

My fiance's father and stepmother are amazing. We've gotten along right from the start. His mother on the other hand was great to me until I moved in before we were married. She's very religious and firmly believes you should not live together without being married. Although, I think she just doesn't like me. Even after we told her we were engaged, she told J "well, you've got to do what you've got to do". Have not heard a congratulations, or how are the wedding plans coming along. Nothing. Guess we will all be surprised if she shows up to the wedding. Not sure I even want her there since over the last year she's become BFF w/ his ex-wife. I know its her way of spending more time with her granddaughter but it still sucks to go on facebook and see xmas pictures of them together, and we don't even get a christmas card. What's worse is she lives in our building!! We just have to remind ourselves it is about he and I and "our family" not HER or what she does.

• Options
    I love my SIL, she's amazing!  Nick wanted her in the wedding, and I didn't really know her, but as the time passed I got to know her and she is awesome!  My MIL, now she is a doozy.  She pushes until she gets her way, noses where it doesn't belong, and treats my FI like a child still.  We butt heads, but I can get along with her 70% of the time, but at least once a week she makes me want to cry.  My FIL, he barely speaks two words, but when he does he is nice and polite and makes me feel like part of the family.  My BIL is rude, but we don't see him much so I am not worried.  I just try to keep the peace until after the wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I use to LOVE my FMIL until we got engaged and started planning our wedding. She is having trouble realizing she can't have total control of everything! I really hope after the wedding is over things settle back down, because I use to think she was soooo sweet.
  • Options
    Honestly, they are very good people, but in real life, we are just on different wave legnths.  They raised three perfect children and one oddball, and I got the oddball, cause I am also an oddball.  So, they are too.... perfect.... for me.  I know that sounds snobby, but its true.  I like them, love them as in-laws, but would never be friends with them in real life. I know they love me too, but I'll never fit in with them. They always set the table with chilled salad forks, and go to charity dinners at the zoo. I am lucky if I eat salad once a week, and hands-on volunteer at the zoo. We're just different.
  • Options
    My future family-in-law is awesome :)  FI and I spend time with his parents every couple of weeks playing games and his mother is busily trying to promote my own photography business.  His brothers/sister are really great and we spend lots of time with them all also.  I really lucked out with my in-laws!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My future in laws are amazing...and that extends to the future brother in law and his wife and sister in law. My parents are in the midst of a nasty divorce right now and my FI's family has been there for me in a way my own family can't. I always knew they loved me but it became all the more obvious in their support for me. I couldn't ask for a better family to be marrying into.
  • Options
    none of the above...I like them, but sometimes his dad can hold grudges and can be childish. He has always been really hard on FI--tough love, I guess. His mom is the opposite of my mom. It's hard to read her. She doesn't show her emotions and is not as friendly. My mom is very social, friendly, and open.
    Over the six years that I have known them, I can't say that I love them or hate them.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    I love my FFIL and his wife; they are awesome people. My FMIL, however, is a loathesome woman and is constantly doing idiotic and annoying stuff and overstepping her boundaries.  Her latest shenanigan was get so drunk on Mother's Day that she could only eat two bites of the dinner my fiance and I cooked her (took us two hours), then she passed out on the couch.  She's a total loser.  I could write a book about her and the asinine things she's done and the bad decisions she keeps making.  If I could, I'd never see or speak to her again and I wish with all my might she wouldn't come to the wedding (impossible).  Sometimes I feel like I'm just this evil, intolerant person for hating her so much....but I simply can't help it.
  • Options
    I don't have any major issues with his parents.  I really do think they like me, but its alwys been sort of uncomfortable for me still.  They are nice people, but I just dont feel comfortable being alone with them.  I can have some good laughs them, but only if my fiancee is with me.  His dad also always has to try to teach us some sort of life lesson all the time as if we are 4 years old.  It gets very annoying.  My family however absolutely adores my fiancee.  He can sit and talk with my mom forever without me there.  We are both living with my mom and sister now to save money and it really hasnt been uncomfortable at all, which I think says alot about our dynamic.
  • Options
    I adore my future mother in law - She is someone I would be friends with regardless of my relationship with her amazing son!  She welcomed me into their family with open arms and has been a rock of support to both of us through a lot of stuff!!
  • Options
    I'm black & Irish, my fiancee is puerto rican & german my mother in law is a racist..(cause if you aint spanish you aint right) & has not spoken to us since we got engaged...my father in law is awesome & so is my step mother in law (well now she is cuz she feels bad that his moms a b****) pretty much her side hates us both...But I'm not marrying them so whatever!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Cannot stand my future mother-in-law. She treats Tan like he is a child and WILL NOT let us make our own decisions. So tired of it quite frankly. Cannot wait until we move after the wedding. It's terrible but I'm so looking forward to her being out of our lives.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards