Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Review: Jos A Bank Tux Rental

This is a thorough review of our unfortunately bad experience with Jos A Bank tux rentals.

We chose them over Men's Wearhouse, because on initial visits our experiences with them were much better.   I will note here that we are a same-sex couple, and my partner's half of the wedding party is 2 other women and 1 man.  They are all wearing tuxes by choice.  Initially, Jos A Bank seemed excited to work with us.

I am sad to say that's where our good experience ended.   Our tuxedo got entered incorrectly into the system.   We reigstered for black tuxes with plain white shirts, silver ties, silver vests, and regular shoes.   When we checked online after we got the link to our "tuxedo registry", the tuxes appeared to be wrong.   My partner went in person to the store where we set them up to see what was going on when we were in town the next week.  The person at that store called the corporate office and said he had sorted everything out.

When our wedding party began to be measured weeks later, we discovered it was STILL incorrect.   Not only was it incorrect, but full of upgrades that we never asked for that jacked up the cost.  We were told at that time there wasn't anything they could do about it and we'd have to return in person to the store where we set them up.   We live over 2.5 hours from the nearest Jos A. Bank.  We used them because of previous good suit experiences, and their proximity to all of our wedding folks.   After some insiting, that store was able to call and get that individual person's tux changed.  When we attempted to find out what was going on with the store we had worked with, the sales person was rude, condescending, and quite difficult to work with.   

It has taken mulitple phone calls to the corporate office to get this all straightened out and in the system correctly.   While that has finally happened and the folks who have picked up tuxes do have the correct tux, at least one person has reported that they had to pay quite a bit more than they should have because of how the tux is STILL entered in the system incorrectly.  At least one member of our wedding party was told:  you will just have to pay for it how it is entered and we will refund you the difference.  That's just no way to run a business!  It also reflected really poorly on us as this was our choice of vendor.

It is worth noting that my partner bought her tuxedo outright, but was planning to rent a vest.  After being told they carried vests in her size, the one she was shipped was too small (and not what she asked for) and she ended up having to buy one.  

We are really disappointed and wanted to share our experience.   I can't say for certain that I think this may largely have to do with being a same-sex couple, but in our case we believe that it may.  It is certainly my hope that not every tux rental is this difficult!

Re: Review: Jos A Bank Tux Rental

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_review-jos-a-bank-tux-rental?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:ca71ec07-3840-4719-bccd-6b4c642092dbPost:4272a397-2593-4419-b449-970be7fee1bf">Review: Jos A Bank Tux Rental</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is a thorough review of our unfortunately bad experience with Jos A Bank tux rentals. We chose them over Men's Wearhouse, because on initial visits our experiences with them were much better.   I will note here that we are a same-sex couple, and my partner's half of the wedding party is 2 other women and 1 man.  They are all wearing tuxes by choice.  Initially, Jos A Bank seemed excited to work with us. I am sad to say that's where our good experience ended.   Our tuxedo got entered incorrectly into the system.   We reigstered for black tuxes with plain white shirts, silver ties, silver vests, and regular shoes.   When we checked online after we got the link to our "tuxedo registry", the tuxes appeared to be wrong.   My partner went in person to the store where we set them up to see what was going on when we were in town the next week.  The person at that store called the corporate office and said he had sorted everything out. When our wedding party began to be measured weeks later, we discovered it was STILL incorrect.   Not only was it incorrect, but full of upgrades that we never asked for that jacked up the cost.  We were told at that time there wasn't anything they could do about it and we'd have to return in person to the store where we set them up.   We live over 2.5 hours from the nearest Jos A. Bank.  We used them because of previous good suit experiences, and their proximity to all of our wedding folks.   After some insiting, that store was able to call and get that individual person's tux changed.  When we attempted to find out what was going on with the store we had worked with, the sales person was rude, condescending, and quite difficult to work with.    It has taken mulitple phone calls to the corporate office to get this all straightened out and in the system correctly.   While that has finally happened and the folks who have picked up tuxes do have the correct tux, at least one person has reported that they had to pay quite a bit more than they should have because of how the tux is STILL entered in the system incorrectly.  At least one member of our wedding party was told:  you will just have to pay for it how it is entered and we will refund you the difference.  That's just no way to run a business!  It also reflected really poorly on us as this was our choice of vendor. It is worth noting that my partner bought her tuxedo outright, but was planning to rent a vest.  After being told they carried vests in her size, the one she was shipped was too small (and not what she asked for) and she ended up having to buy one.   We are really disappointed and wanted to share our experience.   I can't say for certain that I think this may largely have to do with being a same-sex couple, but in our case we believe that it may.  It is certainly my hope that not every tux rental is this difficult!
    Posted by HeidiWard04[/QUOTE]

That sucks.  I'm sorry you went through that with them. We used MW for our wedding party (all females in tuxes) and we had a great experience.  A couple of glitches with measuring, but they fixed it immediately.  Of course, we are in the bay area, so I think they may have more female customers than other geographical areas might.
  • Options

A terrible overall experience.

Why Jos A Bank? We needed a national tuxedo rental because we had 6 groomsmen all residing in 6 different states. Jos A Bank and Men's Warehouse have a proliferation of locations that would be convenient. With a number of past experiences with Men's Warehouse (minor issues), we decided to try JosABank. Mistake. The adage "the devil you know is better than the one you don't" is a applicable.

It started with the first visit. It was set up through JosABank corporate at a Cincinnati location. The meeting was set for Sunday January 6 @ 3 pm. When we arrived, the store was not aware of the meeting AND had no one immediately available to assist. When finally assisted, we were informed NO ONE was trained with the new system. The store manager wrote down the names of the bridal party and stated that an online account would be created. After a week, it was created - with misspellings and some members left out. This could have been done online WITHOUT entering the store - which was a useless waste of time ---- Untrained Staff ---- Unprepared ----

Undeterred (Mistake II - shame on me), I set up the tuxedo selection online and advised groomsmen to get fitted @ JosABank. First, the system online is NOT ACCURATELY tracking who has been fitting or placed orders. Also, I have received several complaints from groomsmen: Matt from GA writes: "It was a pain but they were able to finally figure it out" and Dave from NY writes "They were unable to find the event in their system" and Ryan from FL writes "I got fitted today at Jos A Bank but they were having all sorts of computer problems. Ended up getting all the measurements, but wanted to make sure that the package they finally hooked me up with was the right one."

There also seems to be something odd about the tuxedo selection. Black vests were selected but the online account now shows white vests for the groomsmen. After reading other reviews, the JosABank system seems to have these inaccuracies occur.
    ---- Inaccurate system ---- bad experience for my wedding party

Ultimately, I simply hope everyone has a tux that's clean and close to matching for wedding day --- At this point, I have zero confidence. With enough to worry about already, it would be nice to have a tuxedo rental company with a computer system that works and maybe a trained staff would be nice.

I simply hope this information will allow you to make a better decision for tux rentals.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards