Snarky Brides

The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

• a big trend in my area is not only burlap, lace and mason jar BUT cowboy boots with the wedding dress. They call it "Rustic Chic" 

Please tell me others have seen this too. 
    You must be in the Midwest along with me. Fucking hell. Painted mason jars, mason jars, burlap bow tied pews and chairs, burlap lace runners, cowboy boots on the bridesmaids, cowboy boots on the bride, burlap lace burlap lace mason jars lace burlap. MAKE. IT. STOP. And my friend getting married in a year is doing exactly this.

I'm getting married in a winery that has the rustic chic feel, or so I'm told. I cannot tell you how many times I've been offered mason jars, boots, lace and burlap. The only thing(s) lace will be my dress and my underwear. NO mason jars. NO burlap. NO boots. Its perfectly fine for people who associate with those things. I, do not. At all.

• a big trend in my area is not only burlap, lace and mason jar BUT cowboy boots with the wedding dress. They call it "Rustic Chic" 
    You must be in the Midwest along with me. Fucking hell. Painted mason jars, mason jars, burlap bow tied pews and chairs, burlap lace runners, cowboy boots on the bridesmaids, cowboy boots on the bride, burlap lace burlap lace mason jars lace burlap. MAKE. IT. STOP. And my friend getting married in a year is doing exactly this. I'm getting married in a winery that has the rustic chic feel, or so I'm told. I cannot tell you how many times I've been offered mason jars, boots, lace and burlap. The only thing(s) lace will be my dress and my underwear. NO mason jars. NO burlap. NO boots. Its perfectly fine for people who associate with those things. I, do not. At all.
    I went to 5 weddings this past summer and 4 of the brides were in cowboy boots!! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!! Who started this stupid trend? And the whole pinterest bride (i love pinterest) BUT some of these girls take it overboard with that shit. Pick one thing you like and go with it but good lord don't use every idea you see on there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    You must be in the Midwest along with me. Fucking hell. Painted mason jars, mason jars, burlap bow tied pews and chairs, burlap lace runners, cowboy boots on the bridesmaids, cowboy boots on the bride, burlap lace burlap lace mason jars lace burlap. MAKE. IT. STOP. And my friend getting married in a year is doing exactly this. I'm getting married in a winery that has the rustic chic feel, or so I'm told. I cannot tell you how many times I've been offered mason jars, boots, lace and burlap. The only thing(s) lace will be my dress and my underwear. NO mason jars. NO burlap. NO boots. Its perfectly fine for people who associate with those things. I, do not. At all.
    I feel your pain! Also getting married in a barn-like tavern where I will not allow mason jars and burlap. NO BURLAP. My FSIL just got married and had burlap everything. Burlap was everywhere -- it sheds like a dog and there was burlap threads in my clothes and all over the place. I kindly told her the place looked great, so she thought it would be a good idea to SELL me her burlap table runners, which was my queue to politely nod and say "oh, maybe! i'll let ya know!" (run away quickly)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

I went to 5 weddings this past summer and 4 of the brides were in cowboy boots!! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!! Who started this stupid trend? And the whole pinterest bride (i love pinterest) BUT some of these girls take it overboard with that shit. Pick one thing you like and go with it but good lord don't use every idea you see on there. 
    I live in the country.  I love country music, country food, all of it... I draw the line at cowboy boots with a wedding dress... NO. Just NO.
  • I am getting married in a barn on my fiance's dairy farm. We're trying to use our money in other ways so we didn't want to rent a tent. It was my fiance's idea and we are actually cleaning everything out the barn in order to have the reception in it. So many people have told us we should rent the barn out for other couples and make money off of it because everyone is looking for a big barn to have a wedding. It's just silly because the barn will be filled with hay again once we're done with it. I also lost track of how many times people have asked me if I'm wearing cowboy boots or if my bridesmaids are. I'll be honest and say I'm guilty of using mason jars with handles as drinking glasses, but I refuse to follow some trend because it's cute and it doesn't represent me. Probably 120 out of the 200 people invited are farm folk so casual reception will be appropriate. 
    I live in the country.  I love country music, country food, all of it... I draw the line at cowboy boots with a wedding dress... NO. Just NO.
    YESSS!!!! I'm so happy you posted!! I wish more girls were like you!! lol :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Knottie68775487

I'm all about doing what you like if it's your style. Nobody should have a problem with it if it's genuinely your deal. Go on with your bad self!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• hellohkb said:
    *jaw drops*
    *Shudder* 
    Man, there's so much about this that just isn't me.  But if it's what they like, then yay for them.  My thing is: I keep looking at the camouflage.  It's bugging me that her rifle doesn't match her dress.  But then, if I think about it, if it DID match, then maybe it'd be too matchy-matchy...  I guess it'll just be one of life's great mysteries for me!
  • I aboslutely HATE the signs that say "Today two families become one, so pick a seat, not a side." It makes it sound like you expect that your two families will all break out into a brawl if you don't make it clear that they are to play nicely together. My fiancee likes to joke that he's going to buy one for our wedding so it will be the first thing I see when I walk down the aisle and then I'll be horrified and trying to hide it and look joyful.
  • hellohkb said:
    *jaw drops*

I am horrified at the amount of camo on those two.
  • hellohkb said:
    *jaw drops*
    ICK. 
  • hellohkb said:
    *jaw drops*

I am horrified at the amount of camo on those two.
    I tried on a dress exactly like that to send a joke picture to my little sister saying "This is it! This is the dress!!!"

I live in Michigan so it's easy to find camo in things that are not meant to be camo. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Once I'm actually ready to start planning, I'll be sending my wedding pinterest page to a few choice knotties just to make sure I'm not completely losing my mind.  I personally think it's pretty good, but I might be blind.
  • Bored and decided to browse Pinterest.

Caption: "Fill clear balloons with glitter before you blow them up - cheap and beautiful!"  Yea, until one gets popped!

And finally, this may not be wedding, but it was tagged wedding on Pinterest and I thought it's just the weirdest Christmas decoration ever.

• We're going to have a "pick a seat, not a side. we're all family once the knot is tied." sign because I'm only going to have a handful of guests at the wedding, while his entire family and all of his friends will be there. Our wedding is in the city that we live in now, which is very close to where he grew up. All of his family and friends are here. My family and friends are 1200+ miles away on the east cost. It will likely be a $1000+ expense for a couple to travel here for the wedding. Most of my family doesn't travel anyway, and I don't expect my friends (who are not in the bridal party) to spend that much to come to my wedding.

We're not doing it because we don't think our families will get along - it's because if people sit on the traditional "sides," his side will be full and mine will be basically empty.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• my cousin said that she was going to wear converse to her wedding. im like seriously. its just like the cowboy boots for me. most annoying thing ever.
  • I don't have a problem with some of these if that's who the bride and groom actually are. For example I went to a wedding where they had touches of camo and hunter orange and it was beautiful. But they both grew up in the country and hunt all the time and it was a great representation of them.

But if you've lived in a city all your life, don't decide to be all country on your wedding day.
  • I don't have a problem with some of these if that's who the bride and groom actually are. For example I went to a wedding where they had touches of camo and hunter orange and it was beautiful. But they both grew up in the country and hunt all the time and it was a great representation of them.

But if you've lived in a city all your life, don't decide to be all country on your wedding day.
    This is the point that I didn't carefully bring across :) I am SO not country. I wore boots once on the farm because I pissed my Grandma off and punishment was working in the barn at 4am. I never pissed off Grandma again. I have 0 mason jars in the house to drink from, they all have various levels of beer additives in them (don't ask. It's like a science experiment gone FAR awry.) and burlap... no. 

But man, if that's all you, that's what a wedding is supposed to be. A display of you two as a couple. We'll be having tons of beer, food and loudness. Because that's who we are :)

• The employee at Michael's didn't like my comment. Hrmph.

There was a lace trimmed burlap flower girl dress that she swore was amazing and perfect for every wedding.

"It's ashes that go with burlap, not lace. Burlap is sack cloth and the well known mourning attire was/is sack cloth and ashes, not burlap and lace." apparently wasn't nice. No shit Sherlock.

She probably wasn't annoyed. She probably respected your opinion. I work at a craft store too and all us employees snicker at burlap, lace, chevron and mason jars. But we love the fact that people are buying this stuff up like crazy and making us money so we can stay in business. Thank you, Pinterest.
  • Looking for vendors. If one more person tells me I need a theme, then suggests I look at Pintrest for ideas, I'm going to seriously consider not doing the big wedding. We're going to a beach, we're getting married, that's my theme.
  • A really stupid trend that keeps popping up is small children carrying "Here Comes The/Your Bride" and other signs during the ceremony, just to give them some "cute" role.

The kids can barely hold the signs up and they clearly hate doing it.

This is one trend I really wish would go away.
  • Jen4948 said:
    A really stupid trend that keeps popping up is small children carrying "Here Comes The/Your Bride" and other signs during the ceremony, just to give them some "cute" role.

The kids can barely hold the signs up and they clearly hate doing it.

This is one trend I really wish would go away.
    I don't get this one even a little. It's a wedding, of course the bride is coming down the aisle. Someone just asked about doing this with THREE SETS OF FLOWER GIRLS AND RING BEARERS on one of the boards. First of all, WTF with having three couples worth of tiny humans. Obviously there is no way THAT will be a disaster. Second of all, signs. 
  • Even worse:

Burlap AW sign and burlap ring bearer pillow. Gross. Ugly and gross.

Plus, I feel bad for the kids. Burlap itches.
  • This was on the bridesmaids board of someone who I agreed to be a bridesmaid for. I am going to drop out.....

• This was on the bridesmaids board of someone who I agreed to be a bridesmaid for. I am going to drop out.....

Eek. That is awful. I would definitely recommend running. Unless she pinned it sarcastically?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards