Snarky Brides
Options

This makes me sick..

We were just talking about this awhile back and I just read this and about made me sick to me stomach.. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Obama-calls-Eagles-owner-to-congraulate-him-for-?urn=nfl-300632

"Experts said that nine out of 10 of the dogs that are lucky enough to ...win the fight will eventually be euthanized because of severe physical and mental damage the fights induce. (The Humane Society of the United States)"... Help stop dog fighting, neuter Vick!"

I am not turning this political I am sorry sometimes I wonder how far "forgiveness" can get someone when they don't truly deserve it.

Re: This makes me sick..

• Options
    I love how they put a pic of Obama playing with his dog. Very fitting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imagemy read shelf:
    Christina's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I didn't for Michael Vick or Obama before.. And I don't care for them now. To me if you murder a dog. You might as well have killed a person. A dog is a living breathing animal just like a human.
    Photobucket We're Married!!!!
  • Options
    Well Obama has to stay relevant some way......

They are both morons. 
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ugh, I saw this the other day.

TBH, I love Obama.  But this made me sick.  I totally get his point about the stigma of a conviction, but, at the same time, I think that publicly congratulating Michael Vick totally sends the wrong message.  It made me sick, also.

ETA: I just reread this and how repetitive I was.  Did I mention it made me sick? ;) Also, I want the book I saw the other day in B&N about the dogs who were rescued from Vick.  Did anyone see/read it?
  • Options
    Ugh, Obama should be paying attention to the country's PR not Michael Vick's.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    They gave a local guy here a "second chance".  He was let out of his 3 life sentences (for aggravated armed robbery).

On Sunday night he robbed the Kohls in my town and killed a local cop.

Thats what happens when we give out second chances.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

The article is bad enough but it seriously shows Obama playing with his dog! I thought I would share. I can understand forgiveness but somethings are just too far in my book.. let alone to get a call from the damn president.

• Options
    Oh what a story. If Obama shunned him, there'd be people not liking Obama because Vick "served his time so leave him alone". And the fact that Obama praised him just allows people who already hated him to rag on him some more for things that have nothing to do with politics. Just because.

I hate Michael Vick and I think it's shameful that although he served his time, he's allowed to make millions while other law-abiding citizens can't make ends meet. But it is what it is. I don't see why this is news.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:d4bbce06-4a98-4f82-86e3-c1ec479cad4b">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh, Obama should be paying attention to the country's PR not Michael Vick's.
    Posted by reddy123[/QUOTE]

If you change "PR" to "Economy" i am right there with you.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:bee1484e-a690-421b-8caa-a93764ddc1f4">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Oh what a story. If Obama shunned him, there'd be people not liking Obama because Vick "served his time so leave him alone". And the fact that Obama praised him just allows people who already hated him to rag on him some more for things that have nothing to do with politics. <u>Just because</u>.</strong> I hate Michael Vick and I think it's shameful that although he served his time, he's allowed to make millions while other law-abiding citizens can't make ends meet. But it is what it is. I don't see why this is news.
    Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

I think its more that people are confused as to why Obama is commenting on this at all?  He has bigger fish to fry.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:bee1484e-a690-421b-8caa-a93764ddc1f4">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh what a story. If Obama shunned him, there'd be people not liking Obama because Vick "served his time so leave him alone". And the fact that Obama praised him just allows people who already hated him to rag on him some more for things that have nothing to do with politics. Just because.<strong> I hate Michael Vick and I think it's shameful that although he served his time, he's allowed to make millions while other law-abiding citizens can't make ends meet. But it is what it is. I don't see why this is news.
    </strong>This.  It also sucks that a kid might get a conviction over some minor drug related thing (NOT saying that's okay, but it's the only example I had) and struggle with getting any kind of job, whereas Vick viciously abuses animals and is a freaking football hero now. 

Also, Obama's message was dumb because Vick only got a "second chance" <strong>because</strong> of his social position.  It's not heralding some major social change. Cause we all know that the black guy in Camden who kills a bunch of dogs totally goes on to make millions and have his second chance.  ::eyeroll::
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:afcf41c4-db3c-43de-8fd7-e509bbe70618">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This makes me sick.. : I think its more that people are confused as to why Obama is commenting on this at all?  He has bigger fish to fry.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

This is my thought too.  Obama didn't have to say anything.  Instead he chose to call Vick and say "Hey you're not all that bad after all."  Boo that
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:adffda6a-2b26-4602-9f61-34f7fa6e7d28">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like you Blue. :)
    Posted by staceytaylor0704[/QUOTE]

Pay no attention to me.  Im a pit bull owner and<strong><u> completely </u></strong>bias, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:77c68d5d-979a-4301-b592-e763f62d4004">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This makes me sick.. : This is my thought too.  Obama didn't have to say anything.  Instead he chose to call Vick and say "Hey you're not all the bad after all."  Boo that
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

It reminds me of how he felt the need to get involved in the Harvard Professor vs the Boston cop thing.  Like why are you putting your 2 cents in?  Your the fvcking president.  Go do your job and stop worrying about what some football player is doing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:afcf41c4-db3c-43de-8fd7-e509bbe70618">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This makes me sick.. : I think its more that people are confused as to why Obama is commenting on this at all?  He has bigger fish to fry.

True. But whether you like Obama or not, he didn't really call up the press and say, "I have an announcement to make about this". He talked to the owner personally, the media gets a hold of it and makes it seem like OBAMA HEARTS MICHEAL VICK.

I don't know, it just seems silly to me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:cd5e9cd9-f99c-4348-934c-01ef1500c5c8">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This makes me sick.. : Pay no attention to me.  Im a pit bull owner and completely bias, lol.
    SHe hates Subaru Outbacks, also.  True story. :)
  • Options

Until this country quits making sports stars into "heroes", we'll have more shiiit stories like this.  I think it's ridiculous that they get hundreds of milliions of dollars playing a game...yeah they have skills but it's A GAME!!!  What about all the services we're having to cut in cities (like plowing - you NJ poor souls) while these people are literally getting paid more than they can spend in a lifetime to PLAY A GAME!  I like watching sports (football, hockey and baseball) but the salaries are stupid high. 

• Options
    I agree Obama has bigger issues and I think he would have been better off to not have called at all. He is losing his popularity with american people and sadly I think he just lost a few more.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:2372e17b-e5e2-4fc2-aa4b-e62a2cd1cb2a">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I should add that I dont think anyone who is convicted of a felony should be allowed to play professional sports.  I wish the NFL would instate that rule.

Aggreed to the 10th degree!!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:afebc43c-f13d-456d-8694-db2e5f0b5308">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I don't see how he called Vick at all. He encouraged a business owner who took a chance on a convicted felon. If we are going to have jail sentences in this country that aren't all Life w/o Parole, then someone is going to need to take a chance on ex-cons to give them a chance to re-enter society successfully. This is all I saw in this phone call.  But whatever. He is human and he gets an opinion on any issue he wants, just like we do.<strong><u> If he thinks its good to try to rehabilitate convicted felons and get them back into society as productive members, then I I think that's good. Maybe you don't, and that's ok</u></strong>. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

i think i would feel differently about it if he called "John Smiths" boss and thanked him for giving him a second chance.  The fact that it was Vick, and Vick is doing so well and popular at the moment seems sketchy to me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Well for all those convicted felons out there just out on parole.. take comfort knowing the NFL has a job for you!

JK... but seriously.. I get he is a good football player but I am sure there are a million others just as good who would gladly take his place.  The NFL needs to work on their code of punishment. Look at Favre, he is given a fine and no suspension for sending lude and explecite text messages to a woman.  THen again, I am thinking the majority of his punishment will come from home.
  • Options
    Where is the uproar over the NFL players that have done much worse? Ray Lewis killed two guys in  a nightclub. Donte Stallworthe got drunk and killed a pedestrian. Eric Green sodomozized and raped a transexual woman. Perrish Cox is under investigation for sexual assault. Ben Roethlesburger raped a young woman.Rae Carruth murdered his pregnant girlfriend. These are just a very small number of the more major stories that happen almost every day.

What Vick did was reprehensible, but where is the outrage over the rest of them? Ray Lewis is a freaking hero. The double standard blows my mind.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:2cca4590-e07b-445d-aaf3-05f1e6f30a81">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This makes me sick.. : I think this is more of an issue with what the media is reporting on as opposed to a human being saying things and doing things that human beings do.

<div>Meh, I think past presidents did a lot of human things we didn't hear about and I liked it better that way. I guess my gripe is more with the press and audience demand than Obama, it happened a lot with Bush too. Keep the public interested in miniscule shiit, so the big news doesn't get noticed.</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:2372e17b-e5e2-4fc2-aa4b-e62a2cd1cb2a">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]I should add that I dont think anyone who is convicted of a felony should be allowed to play professional sports.  I wish the NFL would instate that rule.

I agree with that. You don't get to have a felony rap and make millions.
  • Options

Yes he is human but he is also the president. He is held to a higher standard than most of us and should conduct himself as such. He should just STFU and do his job. I am sick of hearing his name in entertainment news.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:2372e17b-e5e2-4fc2-aa4b-e62a2cd1cb2a">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:

Huh. I honestly never thought about this, so I don't necessarily disagree (and it seems a few other agree with this, too) but what is the reasoning behind this? Is it because it's a very public profession? Or because they make a lot of money? Just curious.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:3591f940-8904-4fb8-920b-6cd5c48e968a">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where is the uproar over the NFL players that have done much worse? Ray Lewis killed two guys in  a nightclub. Donte Stallworthe got drunk and killed a pedestrian. Eric Green sodomozized and raped a transexual woman. Perrish Cox is under investigation for sexual assault. Ben Roethlesburger raped a young woman.Rae Carruth murdered his pregnant girlfriend. These are just a very small number of the more major stories that happen almost every day. What Vick did was reprehensible, but where is the outrage over the rest of them? Ray Lewis is a freaking hero. The double standard blows my mind.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

I said above I think all convicted felons should not be allowed to play.

And when the examples you mentioned happened, I was just as angry about it. Vick is the most recent, therefore fresh in peoples minds. 

Roethlesburger was never tried or convicted so i cant call him guilty and apply the same anger.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I did read about the dogs that were rescued and his bait dog Gypse broke my heart and she is still alive. I work with a pitbull rescue so I am a little bit bias as well >.< I am agreeing with the fact that this totally send the wrong message had it been any other social standing that would have life behind bars right there.

Ms. Dotty..I am not bias I swear

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-sick?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:89ad401a-df64-4331-9a9b-9f351a0035edPost:3591f940-8904-4fb8-920b-6cd5c48e968a">Re: This makes me sick..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where is the uproar over the NFL players that have done much worse? Ray Lewis killed two guys in  a nightclub. Donte Stallworthe got drunk and killed a pedestrian. Eric Green sodomozized and raped a transexual woman. Perrish Cox is under investigation for sexual assault. Ben Roethlesburger raped a young woman.Rae Carruth murdered his pregnant girlfriend. These are just a very small number of the more major stories that happen almost every day. What Vick did was reprehensible, but where is the outrage over the rest of them? Ray Lewis is a freaking hero. The double standard blows my mind.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

Obama had nothing to do with those stories, so they just weren't a big deal, I suppose.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards