Snarky Brides
Options

Did you get married at the age you planned?

Re: Did you get married at the age you planned?

• Options
    I thought I would have been married younger.  When I was in college I had 25 stuck in my head.

I am 30 and will be for my wedding.

I am happy I waited.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    In my mind I planned to get married at 25.  I will actually get married at 28.  I'm not sad at all because I would have married the wrong guy at 25!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wanted to get married young, 21 or 22. I am SOOOO glad that I did not get married then. Granted, I was dating FI at the time but I was definitely not mature enough to get married at that point.

When FI and I get married I will be 25 and I know it's the right time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I thought I would get married right out of college, around 22-23.  My parents got married in their late 20s, and I thought they were crazy for waiting so long. 

I will be 25 when we get married, and I am perfectly happy about that.  If I had gotten married right out of college, I would have been with a d-bag and miserable.  I am much more stable and adult, and I think I will be a much better partner in a marriage, even just a few years later.  There was a lot of growing up to be done in that year or so after college.
  • Options

I always thought I'd get married a year out of college or so and be done having kids by the time I was 30.  My mom had my brother at 24 and me at 30 and always said she felt old.  But... I'll be 28 when I get married (almost 29) and have no plans for babies any time soon.

I'm happy with it.  My career is settled, I have more money/financial security, and I feel like I've had enough time to take care of other items on my "to do list" before having a family.  I feel like I'll be more settled and less restless than I would have had I gotten married younger.  Plus, the guy I was dating back then was a total ass. :)

06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • Options
    At what age did you want to get married? I didn't really think I ever would, ha. But near to 30 I thought maybe I would.

At what age did you get married? I will be a month away from 25.

Happy? Sad? Thoughts? Happy. It's just right and I've never been a 'runabout young person' so settling down is exactly what I wanted.
  • Options
    At what age did you want to get married? 19 or 20
    At what age did you get married? I'll be 21

Happy? Sad? Thoughts?
    I'm very happy with the fact that i'll be 21 and he'll be 26. Ever since i met him when i was in high school in 2006, i grew up super fast. It was a life changing moment for me. Knowing how I was raised and how he was, and how typical Lebanese girls are, i knew that i had to make significant changes to my life.

We'll be getting married in July of 2011, and we're so happy together. My first and only love, the timing was perfect.
  • Options

I thought I'd be married at 26... and hey, I got married at 26!

The funny thing is, my original 'timeline' was something I'd considered when I was with my ex... I broke up with him at 22 and remember thinking at the time, I guess I'll be getting married at 30! haha.

• Options
    I think when I was a kid I would get married at 25, that's when my mom got married. But I'll be getting married at 22. No sad feelings or regret here, just feel lucky to have met my man so early. I'm looking forward to being able to spend a long, long married life with him. 

Some people said we're too young, you'll get a divorce. What a terrible thing to say to a soon-to-be-married couple. No, we're not too young, it's all about your mindset and how you deal with things, not how old you are.
    "And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." William Shakespeare
  • Options
    I wanted to get married at 22 when I was younger. I'm 20 right now, but I know there is no way in hell I'm getting married in two years.
  • Options
    I figured I would get married around 26-27.  I will be married at 25 instead.  I am happy with this. 
  • Options
    ok gils I have you all beat! This will be my first marriage and I am the one who said "I will never get married" Soooooooo here iam am getting married at the wonderful age of 51! It was love at first sight. Never say never.
  • Options
    I thought I'd be married before the 35 that I will be when we get married.  I am glad that I waited into my 30's to get married, and as much as I thought I was ready in my 20's, I know now that I wasn't.
  • Options
    I had no idea I would get hitched this soon. Growing up, the age I had "planned" was anywhere between 25 to 27, which was pretty arbitrary I guess. I picked that age because that's the age everyone "said" was the best, which I guess is silly, since it doesn't take into account individual differences in the slightest. We're getting married at age 22, nearly 23 for both of us (his bday is less than a month after the wedding date....mine is about a month and a half away). Sometimes I get sad about it, but not because of our ages. It's sad and stressful when people I hardly know judge us based on solely our ages, as if we've only been together for a few months (we've been together for 4 1/2 years, known one another for about 6) and are making some huge mistake. So yes, I do get sad about that. I wish people wouldn't judge others based on age. In the end, it's about maturity. And love of course!  /rant     =)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-married-age-planned?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:be2ab6b1-c89a-4241-84d9-e54018d1eb05Post:a87068a0-e230-4b6b-b45c-61c571fa4bfb">Re: Did you get married at the age you planned?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok gils I have you all beat! This will be my first marriage and I am the one who said "I will never get married" Soooooooo here iam am getting married at the wonderful age of 51! It was love at first sight. Never say never.
    Posted by ROSALYN77[/QUOTE]

<div>This makes me happy. :)</div><div>
    </div><div>I always figured I'd be married a few years out of college... sure enough, we'll both be 24 when we get married this November.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm happy; we've been together for 6 years, but I had my share of idiots in high school.  FI and I have been through a lot together, too, so I'm confident we can handle whatever life throws us. </div>
  • Options
    Age I thought I would get married: 30
    Age I am getting married: 26

Thoughts?
    I'm happy because I have found the right person. i actually thought I wouldn't get married because I had become quite stubborn and jaded, but really found the right person a lot earlier than expected. I also feel ready for this part in my life a lot earlier than I thought I would.
  • Options
    I always thought I would young when I got married...just maybe not quite this young.  I will be 20 when I get married.   We get tons of negative comments about it but I am really happy.  It is exactly what God has planned for us. Plus I love having someone to share my life with!
  • Options
    Growing up I always thought I'd get married in my early 20's; but instead, I'll be getting married 2 1/2 weeks after my 26th birthday.  I am 100% fine with this.  My FI and I have dated for over 6 years and I'm so thankful we took our time with the relationship because had we gotten married a few years ago, I honestly don't think it would have worked, we each still had a lot of growing up to do.  I'm in the same boat as a lot of the other ladies though, as I feel behind on life.  We aren't even sure if we want to have kids, but soo many girls I graduated highschool with are already married, buying houses, and having babies, whereas we just got our first little 1 bedroom apartment together this past December.  But I suppose everything happens for a reason and on it's own time, so I appreciate what we do have.  Now I've just got to stop focusing on what others have.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Growing up, I always thought I would get married at age 30 or 31 because I wanted to travel, work, and enjoy life for myself.  I met my Fiance right after I turned 29.  We are getting married in 11 days and we are both 30 years old.  I guess my intuitions were in place from early on :)

We both have good jobs, own condos, and are secure in ourselves.  Our timing was right, and we look forward to a happy life and having children together :)

• Options
    I think I planned on getting married about 23-24 when I was in high school, and I wanted to have kids around 26,27. I knew I wanted to be out of college for a couple of years before I got married. Well I'm 24. I'll turn 25 about 4 months before our wedding. As far as kids...my fiance wants to me 30 when he has kids...He's 27 now...so I'd be  around 27-28 if we start to have kids "on time". 

When looking at it I guess I'm "on schedule" which is more unbelievable to me than actually getting married. During college life was so rocky I was convinced marriage wasn't happening anytime soon, but then my FI came into my life 2 years ago and totally changed everything. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    January-January Siggy Challenge "Wedding Bands"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    167 Invited image 147 Ready to pary image 20 Missing the fun image 0 Slacking on responding image RSVP Date: December 1st, 2010
  • Options
    My parents were married right out of college, but ever since I was a kid, I thought I would be married around 24, 25. Never gave it much thought after that, but here I am, engaged at 24 and getting married next year when I'll be 25. Crazy how life works out sometimes.

"my fiance is really anxious about kids though, even though we're planning to wait about 5 years before that will enter the picture. i think his biological clock is ticking."

My fiance is the SAME WAY! We worked out a deal though - we promised we'd start trying before we're 30, which by the time we're married, gives us about 3 or 4 years to buy a house and climb the corporate ladder some.
    "When you meet the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." -When Harry Met Sally, 1989 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I always thought I'd get married around age 24-25 and i got married at 24.  although it may be a bit young for some people, it was the perfect time for me- I had just finished my graduate program and started a career. Couldn't be happier. for my husband and i, waiting any longer to get married would have been too long!
  • Options
    I'm getting married at 33. It's perfect to me. I never had a pre-conceived notion of when I had to get married or when I had to have children (IF I have children). But I'm perfectly happy stretching that out even until 40. :)
  • Options
    I always thought i'd get married before 25...and I'll be 23 when we get married, So it was about right. I feel comfortable with that! I think it's coming at the perfect time, so I can't complain!
  • Options
    When I was younger, I thought I'd get married around 30 -- I was always super independent, and never had patience for boys and dating.

I ended up meeting my ex-H at 19, getting engaged at 21, and getting married at (barely) 24.  Even then, I felt like we were pretty young to be getting married, but I was absolutely serious when I made that commitment.  It lasted 5ish years.  Got divorced two weeks before I turned 30.  Definitely wasn't where I expected to be in my life at 30 years old, but it was the best thing.  Ex-H wasn't so good at the faithfulness thing, and I have way too much self-respect to put up with that crap.

And here I am, getting married again at 31.  Most people can't believe I'm a second time bride so young, but when it's right, it's right.  And this time, I have NO doubt about that.
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
  • Options
    growing up i planned on marrying at 23ish, boy am I glad I didnt marry that guy.  David and I will be married when Im 29 and hes 35, perfect for us. i cannot imagine it any other way. i'd like to start a family by 30 or 31 just becauise we want 3 kids around 2 years apart.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Honestly, I was never sure what age I'd get married. I imagine I'd be around the same age as my mom, and she was 24, I believe. I still thought that was a tad early, especially since I didn't even start dating until I was 15.

By the time FH and I get married, I'll be a week from 26. :)

Not sad at all! I think it happened perfectly. FH and I were about 4.5 years into dating by the time we got engaged, he had just graduated with his Masters degree (we were waiting until after he graduated, and he did it the *day of* his graduation!), I just finished paying off the last of my CC debt, I was a couple months off from finishing yet another degree, we both had great careers... it was perfect. I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)
  • Options
    I will be 35 when I get married for the first time, I suppose I thought I would get married by my late 20s but there wasn't anyone I wanted to marry then so I am pleased as punch to have waited for the right guy.  I have a lot of friends who married in their early 20s and started families but thats not how it worked for me and I am fine with that!
  • Options
    When I was young and didin't know the "ways of the world" I thought the perfect age to get married was 23  (because I think my mom was 23) and have a baby at 25.

Once I entered college, and I met people who were in their late 20s and unmarried, and people in their 30s looked and seemed so young to me (imagine that when I was 15 thye seemed SO OLD!!)... Its funny how you think when you are young!

I realized then that I would likely be in my later 20s when I got married... it seemed like it would take me that long to find someone--and I figured I would have kids in my early 30s.

I just got engaged at 25.. and when we get married I will be 2 weeks away from my 28th bday!

I feel good about it, and feel like I prob will still have kids in my early 30s-- it seems like what is "right " for me
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • Options
    I will be 29 when I get married.  I always thought that by 29 I would have been married for a few years and even had a couple kids.  I'm glad that I didn't get married younger.  I'm not the same person I was in my early 20s.  Marriage at that age, for me, would have been disastrous.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards