Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

wedding venue tasting/cake cutting...

My groom and I have 2 issues with our wedding venue, the first being that at the tasting back in April 2010 we did not get to taste 3 of the dishes that are on the menu from which we choose our entrees.  Now they want to charge us to try those dishes.  Is this a normal occurance?

The other issue is that they have NO ONE on site that knows how or can cut a wedding cake.  The pastry chef that they contract out to make their cakes even told us that they butcher her cakes.  We would have to pay $150 to have her there to cut the cake, plate it and then box up all left overs.  Is this too much to pay for this to be done??

Please help!!!!
~a~

Re: wedding venue tasting/cake cutting...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about the catering, although I personally would hope this additional tasting would be free, being that you're giving them thousands of dollars to cater your wedding.

For the cake question, it's actually pretty common for a place to charge a cutting fee of $1 or more per person.  Where I am, it's next to impossible to get around it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Tastings are to find out if you like the style/taste of the food you are trying - which may or may not be the food you are serving.

At the venue our wedding was held we had 1 free tasting and we were allowed to pick several dishes to try from their menu.  Not all the dishes we tried were what we ordered for the wedding.  We figured since we liked what we tried the other options would taste good too - and we were right.  The food at our wedding was amaizing.

As goes for your bakery.  Some let you choose what you will try at your tasting and others don't.  But if the chocolate, lemon, red velvet...cake tastes good than their yellow, pineapple, banana... will too.

As for the cake cutting fee, that is normal.  One way to get around it is to have cupcakes.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!!!

Issues have been resolved.  We are trying the remaining dishes at no charge and we are off setting the cost of the cake cutting from their budget for flowers.  Originally, our centerpieces are included in the package, however we will be using the stipend for the flowers to pay for the Pastry chef to cut the cake.  Luckily, my fiances cousin is our florist and will do the additional flowers at no extra cost.

We got lucky!
    ~a~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i am sorry but i think you are being taken for a ride
    we have little money and we find it was easier to make the cake and food
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards