Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

prelude?

this is the music as party walks down isle, is that correct? anyone doing anything kinda contemporary? when i look at the list of ideas i don't know what all those cannon d and other things are, something i may recognize i think i would like better!? I am using the Here Comes The Bride.... but same goes for afterwords (is that postlude?/) what are some using that are more i guess "radio" type music? thanks! .

Re: prelude?

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Preludes are the music played before your ceremony begins~music being played as your guests arrive.The music you and your WP walk up the aisle at the beginning of the ceremony is called the processional music.  The music you all walk back down the aisle after the ceremony is called the recessional.Typically, your ceremony musician (that's what I do as a church organist, but the same goes for a dj in a non-church setting) will have a standard repetoire of music to be played as guests are entering.I plan for about 20-25 minutes of music pre-ceremony.  Brides can certainly request specifics, but it's rare that they do:  they don't really hear any of it.Then tradition is that you have one piece of music for your bridesmaids to enter on and a second piece for you.If you're using the "Bridal March from Lohengrin" (Here comes the bride), it's aesthetically more pleasing to pair it with a similar style of music:  "Trumpet Voluntary" by Jeremiah Clarke, "Canon (not Cannon which is a big gun) in D" by Pachelbel, "Trumpet Tune" by Purcell, "Water Music" by Handel all come quickly to mind.  It would be odd to me to hear a pop piece of music followed by a classical piece.Popular recessionals include "Wedding March" by Mendelssohn, "Psalm XIX" by Marcello, the Trumpet Voluntary mentioned above, "Joyful, Joyful" by Beethoven, "Finale from Symphony #1" by Brahms and countless others.You can hear them by googling Wedding Ceremony Music and listening to many different selections online.Having said all that, my DD used Rascal Flatts "God Bless the Broken Road" for her processional and U2's Beautiful Day for her Recessional.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • cynasmincynasmin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    for our prelude music before anyone walks in (well the G and BM will be standing up there) will be themes from various things that are important to us. if you don't know them you won't recognize the music it wil just be light, soft nice instrumental music. even if you do know it you might be thinking...whats the from. i hope it will help ease my grooms nerves he tends to get anxious even at family get together etc where tehre are crowds
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards