Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Would it be weird to register for...

...a sewing machine?I'm not super experienced with them, but I'd like to learn.  As of right now, I'd like to have one to make throw pillows and table runners and such.  In the future, I'd want to learn to make valances and tablecloths as well as hems for pants and whatnot.I wouldn't mind seeing it on a registry, but I don't want people to think I'm registering for hobby-type stuff instead of home-type stuff.  Thoughts?
two years!
after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
Pregnancy Ticker
Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart

Re: Would it be weird to register for...

• Options
    If I was your friend, I wouldn't think this is weird -- kind of cool actually!
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com
  • Options
    IMO it is a home-type thing because you would be using it to make things for your home. Not weird at all.
  • Options
    I think it would be awesome, as it is definitley a home-type thing, as much as any tool set or table saw..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'd consider it a home-type thing since you plan to use it to make home items.  Someone who sews might consider it to be a useful and personal gift.
  • Options
    I've seen sewing machines on registries before-not weird at all! Good luck!
  • Options
    I had one on our registry. I didn't end up getting it, but I did end up buying one ;)
  • Options
    I'd find it a little odd, just because it's quite an expensive item to buy as wedding gift when only one of the couple will use it.  If I were spending that sort of money, I'd want it to be an item both people would use and enjoy.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_would-weird-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:10495612Post:10495612">Would it be weird to register for...</a>:
    [QUOTE]...a sewing machine?I'm not super experienced with them, but I'd like to learn.  As of right now, I'd like to have one to make throw pillows and table runners and such.  In the future, I'd want to learn to make valances and tablecloths as well as hems for pants and whatnot.I wouldn't mind seeing it on a registry, but I don't want people to think I'm registering for hobby-type stuff instead of home-type stuff.  Thoughts?
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]
    Sewing machine is on my registry, no one has purchased yet though :-(
  • Options
    i don't think its weird. even if its only you who uses it, you might use it FOR your husband, so its all the same.
  • Options
    I don't think its weird at all. I see 774's point, but it wouldn't matter to me as a gift-giver whether only 1/2 of the couple would use it.  I mean seriously, have your FI's/DH's ever picked up those spatulas or baking sheets?
  • Options
    I don't think it's weird.  You'll need to it for your household.  It's kind of the same thing as a stand mixer.

Btw, I registered for a small handheld one.
  • Options
    No not at all, especially if someone coming to your shower is a sewer and might want to buy it for you.  My mom was super excited to get the one my cousin asked for because my mom loves to sew and wants to share her hobby with my cousin.
  • Options
    My only problem with it is that it's more of a gift for you than for the two of you.

And yes, my husband does use the baking sheets and spatulas; it's not 1950 and he cooks just as much as I do.  Smile
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_would-weird-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:10495612Post:596f74a1-3418-46b0-be59-3437cc445c5f">Re: Would it be weird to register for...</a>:
    [QUOTE]My only problem with it is that it's more of a gift for you than for the two of you. And yes, my husband does use the baking sheets and spatulas; it's not 1950 and he cooks just as much as I do. 
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

Eh, it's almost more for him, depending on how you look at it.  He's going to have cool drapes and pillows and such - for zero labor cost.  And, hemmed pants and all that.  Brie gets to do the labor, and her FI gets to reap the rewards. 

I think most things on the registry are there because one person wants them a lot and the other person is ok with it.  He may use the sheets, but he might not have cared which ones, for example. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I would think it was an odd item on a friend's registry, but odd in a "wow, they want to sew/they sew?  That's really neat!" way, not a bad way.  I think it's a useful thing to have (we have one that my mom gave me a few years ago).  Aside from things for the house, it actually saves a good bit of money to buy patterns and fabric and make your own clothes; my mom did this a ton when I was younger.  Just about every nice dress I had was made by her. 

Also, FI actually uses ours more than I do.  I'm crafty with paper and computer design, etc., he's crafty with fabric and makes a lot of our stage costumes.  Just because Brie's FI is male doesn't mean he won't use the sewing machine for himself, besides just benefitting from things she does for the house.  :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options

I would think that's a really good thing to register for, I don't think people would think it's weird. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think a sewing machine is a great idea!  I also don't think it matters if the gift is more for one person vs. a couple thing.  I have tons of things on my registries that my FI has no clue what they are or why "we" want them and the same can be said for me.  I love to cook and am addicted to cooking and gadgets.....so my FI has no idea what pasta rakes are etc.  Meanwhile I don't clean....so I had no idea why he was so excited to register for a second Dyson vaccum. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards