Registry and Gift Forum

Custom registry?

My fiance and I are discussing what we should register for. We've both been college students for awhile so we've accumulated quite a bit of stuff, including most of the traditional items people register for when they get married. We are buying our first house together at the same time and need stuff to fill it up like a love sac, pictures, etc. Not the kind of stuff you usually find at any one particular store.

SO I guess my question is if all of our family wants to be supportive and buy us wedding gifts, is it tacky to put together a custom registry website that we post the link to on our wedding website that we have a groomsman moderate? We would probably do one traditional registry like Bed Bath & Beyond but most of the other stuff is kinda random. I just figure if they want to know what we would want and are willing to buy a gift anyways, is it tacky to let them know in a non-traditional way?

Re: Custom registry?

• I think I'm a little confused, but the way I understand it, you'd basically just be creating a links to different items at different stores? 

I think it would be simpler to just do a small traditional registry and spread the word that you're saving to decorate your new house.  Then people will give you money and you can go buy the stuff. 
  • I think an amazon registry or something like myregistry.com would be best for you. Then you can combine a lot of non-traditional items.

WTF is a love sac?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • create a registry with http://www.depositagift.com

you can register for whatever you want (a honeymoon, a new home down payment, to redecorate, etc). and you can list your traditional registry on there too. this way you are giving your guests options (different registries and different price points) and then you let them decide. registering is expected, so you don't need to get too literal or have anyone moderate it for you. just register for what you truly want/need and then leave it up to your guests. you'll see, people are usually very nice. at the end of the day, your friends and fmily just want you to be happy.

and just so you know from experience, we're using deposit a gift for similar reasons, and have gotten great feedback. it's a cute, classy way to show what would be most meaningful to you now. hope that helps!
  • I think we were just going to post a list of specific items and a little description of each for what we are looking for and let them get it wherever they shop, but it looks like there are other sites out there that you can do that on. I'll have to check into it. I was looking at other posts and people were being pretty brutal as far as registering for honeymoon/cash/etc. so I wasn't sure if this would go in the  "politically incorrect" category.

btw a love sac is a big bean bag to sit on-very fun and comfortable and, depending on the size, you can have just 1 person, 2 people or like 5.
  • I would really look into an Amazon registry.  They have EVERYTHING.  Food, books, DVDs, household goods, jewelry...everything.  I'd be annoyed if I had to go onto your website, print the list, and track the item down at a store myself.

I would also not do anything remotely involving registering for cash.  That is highly controversial and many people consider it rude.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I agree with pp, I think you can find most of what you're looking for on Amazon.com
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I have a love sac, and i LOVE it :)
  • I have a registry on myregistry.com because I think it's great!  It gives guests the option of purchasing the items from the link, or at another store, and still having the ability to mark it as "has been purchased" on the website.  Also, I'm a bargain shopper, so I put what I liked at the most reasonable price I found it.  (I hope no one is dimwitted enough to try to buy all the little things from different stores and wind up spending a fortune on shipping.)  I also have small in-store registries for a few older people who don't shop online.  Myregistry gives the guests the option of shopping at whichever store they like best, which is always a plus in my opinion.
    Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • I haven't heard of some of the websites mentioned, but I'll have to check them out.  To go along with the amazon theme, they have a universal wish list option.  You can add things from any other website and it will all be together at amazon.  Example if you see a few things you like at target.com, but not enough for a entire registry there, you can add it to your amazon.com wish list.  I have one, and it helps me keep track of cool things I find on random websites.  You can make the list public so people can search for it using your name also.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't heard of some of the websites mentioned, but I'll have to check them out.  To go along with the amazon theme, they have a universal wish list option.  You can add things from any other website and it will all be together at amazon.  Example if you see a few things you like at target.com, but not enough for a entire registry there, you can add it to your amazon.com wish list.  I have one, and it helps me keep track of cool things I find on random websites.  You can make the list public so people can search for it using your name also.
  • I think one common registry is good and then something like amazon or myregistry.  Some people don't like to shop online or have access to internet, so I would have a store registry available as well. 
  • FYI on custom registries: Most custom registries rely on the guest to update the item as being purchased, so you run the risk of getting duplicates, and because you don't have an actual registry there and most of the gifts are purchased online, returns can be more difficult.  Also, when you create a custom registry, you don't get any of the perks of creating a traditional registry, like free gifts from vendors or a discount on purchases after the wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_custom-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9d64d047-880c-4d8f-9551-c942ef0d0f8fPost:c75440fe-dcb1-4e11-bd39-2e1a7939422e">Re: Custom registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]create a registry with <a href="http://www.depositagift.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.depositagift.com</a> you can register for whatever you want (a honeymoon, a new home down payment, to redecorate, etc). and you can list your traditional registry on there too. this way you are giving your guests options (different registries and different price points) and then you let them decide. registering is expected, so you don't need to get too literal or have anyone moderate it for you. just register for what you truly want/need and then leave it up to your guests. you'll see, people are usually very nice. at the end of the day, your friends and fmily just want you to be happy. and just so you know from experience, we're using deposit a gift for similar reasons, and have gotten great feedback. it's a cute, classy way to show what would be most meaningful to you now. hope that helps!
    Posted by samgirl[/QUOTE]

So why not just give your guests deposit slips directly to your bank account?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards