Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.

13»

Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.

• Options
    Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:c9933711-105f-41c3-99d2-c768d3b56f56">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE] <strong>However, I'm realistic in admitting how bad the current economy is and sometimes you just have to use whatever necessary to get ahead in life.
    </strong>Posted by tehlilone[/QUOTE]

Well I should have gotten myself a sugar daddy a long time ago.  Whatever necessary to get ahead....

ETA: I'm not going to quote that whole wall of text but you're only a bride from the moment you're engaged to the moment you're pronounced husband and wife.  After that, well you're a wife.  Not a bride therefore you cannot be a bride for over a year after you've been pronounced husband and wife.  Jeez how is this so hard to freakin understand?
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:f5c29fb5-af6c-43b4-ad59-261b515ed8c3">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on. : Well I should have gotten myself a sugar daddy a long time ago.  Whatever necessary to get ahead.... ETA: I'm not going to quote that whole wall of text but you're only a bride from the moment you're engaged to the moment you're pronounced husband and wife.  After that, well you're a wife.  Not a bride therefore you cannot be a bride for over a year after you've been pronounced husband and wife.  Jeez how is this so hard to freakin understand?
    Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]

<div>A sugar daddy is unrelated to this topic and suggesting that getting married with JOP earlier than planned due to financial reasons is the same is ridiculous. For those that don't know, a sugar daddy is an older male lavishing a young female with gifts and money in return for your company and sexual favors. If you're all for that then go ahead, but you normally don't marry your sugar daddy. You use them and drop them, or wait until they drop dead and leave you something. Your comment is as ridiculous as me suggesting she rob a bank or become a prostitute in order to get ahead in life.
    <div>
    <div>According to YOU, a bride only exists up until they're pronounced husband and wife. However, that is not according to the English language. You're a bride if you are going to be married or you've just married. Now which one is correct, how a few people define it or how established institutions define it?</div><div>
    </div><div>Now, how is that hard to understand?</div></div></div>
    Wisdom comes with age and experience, but age and experience does not come with wisdom. LilySlim Exercise days tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:3fca405a-1f79-4f98-a014-97646d951232">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on. : A sugar daddy is unrelated to this topic and suggesting that getting married with JOP earlier than planned due to financial reasons is the same is ridiculous. For those that don't know, a sugar daddy is an older male lavishing a young female with gifts and money in return for your company and sexual favors. If you're all for that then go ahead, but you normally don't marry your sugar daddy. You use them and drop them, or wait until they drop dead and leave you something. Your comment is as ridiculous as me suggesting she rob a bank or become a prostitute in order to get ahead in life. According to YOU, a bride only exists up until they're pronounced husband and wife. However, that is not according to the English language. You're a bride if you are going to be married or you've just married. Now which one is correct, how a few people define it or how established institutions define it? Now, how is that hard to understand?
    Posted by tehlilone[/QUOTE]

Chill out it was a freaking joke!  Your comment was ridiculous that's why I pointed that out.  Damn these boards are getting so serious lately.

And um yes a bride exists up until she is married because then she's a wife therefore no longer a bride.  They say recently married...one year later doesn't qualify as recently.  Want to start a discussion about the word recently now?

Chill out.
  • Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    OMG this thing is still alive?

People, why is it so hard to understand one can only be married once (unless you get divorced)? Thus you only get one wedding. Have a vow renewal, fine. But we live in the real world, so the unicorns you think you deserve are not going to appear at your do-over "wedding" either. Welcome to the real world where people will judge you when you say crazy things like you "deserve" or were "cheated" out of your pretty princess day.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:11a6568a-2902-4974-b5d7-5ec5f2106483">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]OMG this thing is still alive? People, why is it so hard to understand one can only be married once (unless you get divorced)? Thus you only get one wedding. Have a vow renewal, fine. But we live in the real world, so the unicorns you think you deserve are not going to appear at your do-over "wedding" either. Welcome to the real world where people will judge you when you say crazy things like you "deserve" or were "cheated" out of your pretty princess day.
    Posted by redheadfsu[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly. How can anyone not get this?</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:b7a1a9bc-115d-4bdd-9437-e7abbad6ae64">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on. : Exactly. How can anyone not get this?
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

It seems to be a lost cause....
  • Options
    tehlilonetehlilone member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2011
    <div>In Response to Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.:</div><div>[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on. : Chill out it was a freaking joke!  Your comment was ridiculous that's why I pointed that out.  Damn these boards are getting so serious lately. And um yes a bride exists up until she is married because then she's a wife therefore no longer a bride.  They say recently married...one year later doesn't qualify as recently.  Want to start a discussion about the word recently now? Chill out.</div><div>Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]</div><div>
    </div><div>Lol, you need to take your own advice. Since you made a ridiculous comment to point out my so-called ridiculous comment, I returned the favor with another ridiculous comment. Besides, I thought most people want serious answers to serious questions. But I guess, weddings aren't that serious? I mean I can be like the next person and say, "ZOMG that's so tacky," "you're not being an adult," "grow up," "your pretty little unicorns aren't going to appear in the real world," "ZOMG I need a puffy dress," "It's my day," etc etc.</div><div>
    </div><div>Like I said, you neither deserve nor do you not deserve. It's not an either or statement. Some ladies insist you do not deserve. Some ladies insist you do deserve. The world is not black and white, just like it isn't full of rainbows. We live in the real word, suck it up and admit you're not 100% right either on the topic of only getting married once. I think that's my main issue with this thread. The almighty, "I said so, so it must be true!" rule that seems to permeate this issue.</div><div>
    </div><div>You can have a discussion on a topic and say, "this is my opinion, but if you think otherwise then great for you." Instead of, "this is my opinion, if you don't accept it you're automatically wrong."</div><div>
    </div><div>Anyways, I leave my point there since it's a lost cause as Cynthia mentioned. </div><div>
    </div><div>Apparently, we're living in a black & white world full of absolutes. At least when it comes to weddings... between men and women... in the U.S.A... of caucasian descent? Hrmm... I think that's what we're talking about.</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>EDIT: Edited for clarity because Cynthia took the last comments as personal attacks when they were really separate thoughts. Last part referred to general rainbow/reality talk, wife/bride statements, and acceptance of government/cultural traditions as mentioned in prior responses... not a racist "low blow" but rather a summary of what the "one wedding" thoughts apply to)</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Wisdom comes with age and experience, but age and experience does not come with wisdom. LilySlim Exercise days tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:b413f390-583b-4e3a-b810-986c691d6db3">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.: Lol, you need to take your own advice. Since you made a ridiculous comment to point out my so-called ridiculous comment, I returned the favor with another ridiculous comment. Besides, I thought most people want serious answers to serious questions. But I guess, weddings aren't that serious? I mean I can be like the next person and say, "ZOMG that's so tacky," "you're not being an adult," "grow up," "your pretty little unicorns aren't going to appear in the real world," "ZOMG I need a puffy dress," "It's my day," etc etc. Like I said, you neither deserve nor do you not deserve. It's not an either or statement. Some ladies insist you do not deserve. Some ladies insist you do deserve. The world is not black and white, just like it isn't full of rainbows. We live in the real word, suck it up and admit you're not 100% right either on the topic of only getting married once. I think that's my main issue with this thread. The almighty, "I said so, so it must be true!" rule that seems to permeate this issue. You can have a discussion on a topic and say, "this is my opinion, but if you think otherwise then great for you." Instead of, "this is my opinion, if you don't accept it you're automatically wrong." Anyways, I leave my point there since it's a lost <strong>cause as Cynthia mentioned since we're living in a black & white world full of absolutes apparently. At least when it comes to weddings... between men and women... in the U.S.A... of caucasian descent? Hrmm... I think that's what we're talking about.

That's a low blow.  Seriously when did I say something to attack you personally?  I never said my way of thinking is absolute.  Everyone is allowed to their opinions.  I give mine whether you want to listen or not it's your choice.

Your racist statement was completely out of place.
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Edited prior post for clarity. It wasn't meant as a personal attack on you. If I wanted to attack you I would've done it in a direct way, not sarcastically. Why so serious? :(
  • Options
    Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:ed51eefa-000d-4f4b-9a3b-c87d8fedb407">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Edited prior post for clarity. It wasn't meant as a personal attack on you. If I wanted to attack you I would've done it in a direct way, not sarcastically. <strong>Why so serious? :(

Because racist comments irk me to the core.

ETA:  If you want to continue this discussion, PM me.  I don't think other posters feel like hearing anything else about this little issue you have with me.
  • Options
    jn20frjn20fr member
    First Comment
    Wow! I didn't realize how supportive this blog was going to be. NOT!!!  Maybe instead of all of the condensending comments, someone could be a little more supportive of each other. I see enough negative just by watching the news everyday. Yes, I understand that some people may need to hear the hard honest truth, but there is a lot more productive ways of conveying it. I  can say this for sure, I will not participate or read these blogs anymore. I prefer to surround myself with the positive things in life. Life is too short for this nonsense.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:d52c7719-f25e-435b-bfad-eec2b60bdd5d">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]A vow renewal is a special, brief ceremony where a married couple restates their vows.  You will not be a bride, so don't try to look like one.  Party with friends and family is OK, but don't expect "wedding presents".  No bridesmaids, cake cutting ceremony. If you are dressed up in a poufy white dress (like a bride) and holding court with your "wedding party" it is NOT a vow renewal, but a do-over wedding, and that's what upsets people.  You get ONE DAY. Do other people do it anyway?  Yes, and they get criticized and side-eyed.  Words like AW, gift grabby, and tacky will get thrown around the family.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Ignore the wedding nazi's. If you and your hubby to be want a "do over" ceremony then go for it. The people that you would invite to it would know you are already married and the situation. Whoever wants to come celebrate with you can. Whoever is "offended" tell them to take the stick out of their behinds = )
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:b46a3b8e-8f0b-44b8-820c-9aac4eb3eff9">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on. : Because racist comments irk me to the core. ETA:  If you want to continue this discussion, PM me.  I don't think other posters feel like hearing anything else about this little issue you have with me.
    Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]
    Last post here since I apparently need to further clarify something else since I made "racist comments"<div>
    </div><div>"Apparently, we're living in a black & white world full of absolutes. At least when it comes to weddings... between men and women... in the U.S.A... of caucasian descent?"</div><div>
    </div><div><ul><li><strong>black & white world</strong> - devoid of rainbows and shades of gray (example - A do-over wedding is never acceptable)</li></ul><strong>
    </strong><ul><li><strong>Men and women </strong>- since we've been talking about how a "bride" can only get married once then becomes a "wife" and these are terms many do not use to apply to same-sex unions.</li></ul><strong>
    </strong><ul><li><strong>U.S.A. </strong>- someone mentioned a government mandate in certain Latin American countries that make having 2 wedding ceremonies a common practice. People agreed that it's acceptable if it's government mandated.</li></ul><strong>
    </strong><ul><li><strong>Caucasian</strong> - Many ethnicities have wedding celebrations and practices that span for days, weeks, etc. Since we're talking about the US, the culture is Caucasian based. If you're not fully Caucasian, you can often pull other ethnic practices that could make the "one-day, one-wedding" concept not applicable and therefore acceptable.</li></ul><div>
    </div><div>It was only racist sounding because that's EXACTLY how many ladies on the boards made it sound. It isn't an acceptable practice unless it's validated in your cultural or family traditions. Many cultures are often ethnically or geographically based, making this an issue of social acceptability in your own culture.</div><div>
    </div><div>I didn't make the original comment yet I'm getting blamed for being racist for summarizing what other people were saying. To be honest, I'm the type of person that is more irked by close-minded comments and criticisms than a racist sounding statement. Those comments are more hurtful because they attack a single person rather than a generalization.</div></div>
  • Options
    How could any student aid program say that a person is only considered independent after the age of 25??? That makes no sense to me whatsoever. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:3b3e1044-030a-48f3-9ec3-2e42636fff68">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]No one "deserves" a big poofy white wedding, even the people who are "getting married" for the first time. People have it because they want to. Just like people have a wedding ceremony and reception after going to the courthouse before the actual wedding date. I think that people should be free to celebrate any way they like and call it whatever they want to.  The ceremony does not mean any less, the family will be just as excited to see two people they love celebrate their love for each other even if they were technically "married" beforehand. <strong> Some people here are just being "mightier than thou" because they did not have to go through the circumstances that others went through.</strong> It's ridiculous to judge people for wanting to make the best of what they have. If this woman wants to call this other ceremony a wedding, I think it's a fantastic idea because she will be enjoying her day like she wants to... and thats what weddings are about.
    Posted by ROFLdino[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>They are not. There are ladies here who chose a JOP wedding and quite happily left it at that. It is insulting to them to suggest that they did not have a 'real' wedding because they lacked the PPD to go with it.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: And my own FSIL (well, 'future' for eight and a half more days anyway) could have easily gone the JOP+PPD route given that she had only a month to plan, but did not, opting for a ceremony and reception put together in that short time.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:81376e71-7662-4342-8521-cbb8c9cd9aa2">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]How could any student aid program say that a person is only considered independent after the age of 25??? That makes no sense to me whatsoever. 
    Posted by ElleB87[/QUOTE]

Making sense or not, that's the way it is.  The federal government does not consider you to be independent for financial aid purposes until the year you turn 24 or until you are married- whichever comes first. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket image Photobucket
  • Options
    I say go for it!! Do it any way you want. It's your wedding and it should make you happy. 

Just be fair to the people you invite and tell them what's going on so they know what they're getting into it. 

But it's YOUR day - forget all these people telling you what to do and not to do. It's YOUR DAY - do what YOU WANT. If they don't like it - they don't have to go!

Laughing

• Options
    Do WHATEVER you want to do!!! Eloping then having a vow renewal/ceremony later sounds great if that is what you and your love choose to do. The only thing I would suggest based upon some of the mean and evil spirited responses that you have received is to not post  on here anymore and just follow your heart!! <3
  • Options
    The bride and groom and ultimately the only people that matter when a wedding is concerned.  Do what makes you happy!  If you have some whiner that is upset about your personal relationship choices tell them to buzz off.

My hubby and I got married in a chapel with only 7 friends present about a month after we got engaged.  We did it because he was deploying with the Navy and we didn't have time to plan a big wedding.  If we had tried to fit a wedding in before he left we would have only had a few weeks together as a married couple before deployment.  That was just not how we want to start our new lives together.  

We made the choice to have a quick, fun, tiny wedding so that we could enjoy 4 months together as Mr. and Mrs. before he had to leave.  When he comes home we are having a nice reception for all our family and some close friends to celebrate with us at a fun party that all about how much we love each other AND our families...that's the whole point of having the reception! 

Just because you have to have your legal marriage paperwork done quickly does not mean you have to miss out on enjoying the celebration with loved ones.  Celebrate your way!! 

People that say you are married so you can't have another party are foolish...do those people also snub anniversary parties?...what about renewal of vows, are those a no go too?  Give me a break.  
  • Options
    This discussion is getting a little out of control. There are obviously very strong opinions on this topic which may be exacerbated by the seemingly illogical OP post. I think that some of the posters need to be more polite because their tone is quite rude. Regardless of etiquette, I think that everyone will support their friend or family member in however they decide to celebrate their union with their significant other. 

With that being said, I think it would be appropriate to have a vow renewal so that your children, family, and friends can share in your joy. You may dress however you like because - let's be honest - you can wear a white dress any day of the year and there is not a dress code for vow renewals. White no longer symbolizes virignity and plenty of women who have children get married wearing white. 

I am seriously considering eloping because:
    1. My fiancee and I are not in a place to finance the "big" wedding of my dreams (simple wedding with ~75 guests).
    a. I am a graduate student (working as a research assistant to pay my way) with little income.
    b.  My fiancee's position was removed and he was subsquently demoted because of the impact of the economic downturn on his retail store. This demotion also included a dramatic decrease in pay.

2. My mother has enough money to pay for our wedding and offered to pay for it. However, paying for the wedding is contingent on her being an integral part of the planning process. Unfortunately, she does not seem to be able to deal with the emotional stress that planning a wedding would entail and will not talk about it in any serious way (i.e. picking a date/venue, setting a budget, etc.). Also, the in-laws are not willing to pay for our wedding - not that we expect them to pay. You may wonder why my father could not pay for the wedding. He does not work because he thinks it is below him so he has been living with my granparents for 3.5 years since my parents separated.

3. Family tension is running especially high. My parents separated 3.5 years ago, my fiancee and I became engaged 3 years ago, and my parent's divorce was official 6 months ago. I thought that a wedding could bring the family 2 years ago but it never happened. Now, I think that the family tension (my father and the extended family versus my mother) will make the event extremely stressful.

4. I think that it would be sad to have a potluck/BBQ wedding in a park while eloping as a couple would be romantic and intimate. A couple on my fiancee's side of the family did have an outdoor/BBQ wedding and it felt more like a Labor Day weekend let-down party that you wish you had RSVP'd no.

If we elope, we would be happy to have a reception/party if my mother or his parent's are willing to host it. I would not expect gifts but I would be very glad to receive them as my fiancee and I are on a fairly tight budget. We have the basic necessities for our home that we have shared for the past 3 years while engaged. I think that having a vow renewal and reception at a later date may be a way for us to share our love and joy with all of our family and friends at a point where we can either finance it ourselves or receive help from family. 

I can't imagine anything sweeter than a couple that wants to share the symbol of their union with loved ones whether that is on the day they elope, marry, or renew vows. I'm sure their loved ones would love to see them commit themselves to one another again.

Dear CMGr,  
    I'm so happy for you. I'm sure it was such a joy to see your "baby girl" marry. I'm sure that if your daughter had siimilar reasons to elope and did so that you wouldn't want her to have a vow renewal that emulates a wedding because it's "tacky" and you wouldn't mind missing those precious moments that you shared with your daughter on her wedding day. 

Sincerely,
    Greedy person who has considered eloping and having a party later and is ok with presents because - why not?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_getting-eloped-now-then-having-ceremony-reception-later?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f23f1c39-fec0-413a-a04d-b92f4be5e155Post:6972ea0a-e217-4fb2-ab91-bb3994c16b2e">Re: Getting eloped now then having a ceremony and reception later on.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have used my scholarships as far as it will take me If you had a limited scholarship, have you ever considered applying for others?  If you lost your scholarship, then it's on you. My mother just went through a very long divorce and recieved a large lump sum of money which she has to claim on her taxes. Therefore screwing me over for government financial aid. Man moms can be mean by going through long (read, contentious and usually nasty) divorces. My mother used my college fund that had been set up since I was three on a new house. So yes I do feel that my mother "screwed me over" as you would say as far as schooling. Had I have grown up expecting to have to pay for school I would have been better prepared. Any chance she had no choice but to use that money as a result of her divorce?  And what would you have done differently leading up to college had you known the money wouldn't have been there?  Saved every dime of babysitting money? Every penny from your summer jobs (assuming you had one)? Simply wanting to finish school and try not to go 20,000 in debt with school loans. How far into college are you and where are you going that it will cost $20,000.00 by the time you finish?  Life is full of grownup decisions to make and if you can't afford this college, transfer to another that you can.  I worked to pay every single penny of my undergrad tuition and took out loans for law school that totalled more than twice what you say your loans would be so you aren't getting any sympathy from me here. As far as the IRS I am an independent. However FASFA does not care. I have talked to my financial aid advisor. She told me if my parents were not in prison, had not abused me, were still alive that I would not be exempt from having to use their tax returns. I do live on my own without assistance. But because I am 22 I cannot use my own tax information. She told me they consider that my parents still provide funding for school until I turned 25. I have a hard time believing this.  I would talk to another counselor and them someone in your congressman's office.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]
    The last part actually is true. FAFSA "assumes" that the parents will help the student pay tuition until they are 25 yrs old.
  • Options
    Wow, I came across this post as I'm seriously thinking about eloping. To the OP (who is probably married by now and over all this)- I'm so sorry for the crazy old women who have nothing better to do than troll wedding posts on this site. Student loans are no joke, and the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" is nice nostalgia from someone who went to school in the 50's.

I hope you and your spouse were able to celebrate your love in the best way possible for you two. Congrats!
  • Options
    Again - newbie, don't go raising dead posts where the majority of it is over a year old.  Calling these women crazy old women is a stellar way to introduce yourself and ask for any help.  Just sayin...
  • Options
    My fianc and I are considering eloping and having a wedding at a later date. Just to legally be husband and wife. Ive loved him for three years and its a long distant relationship. Basically neither of us can wait any longer. Thats how much we want to be together. We've decided on forever. I don't see anything wrong with it. A wedding is a celebration. Period. It's a meaningful and memorable ceremony that allows you to publicly declare your love and commitment for each other. The public declaration won't be any less sincere or real. It will just be the public version of the promise you made to each other privately. With no stress just enjoyment on your wedding day. Celebrating and having fun with friends and family. Then your big day is everything you've ever hoped for. I'm so excited and can't wait!!
    =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards