Wedding Reception Forum
Options

What have you obsessed over the most?

Re: What have you obsessed over the most?

• Options
    The only thing I have obsessed on is how I will look!  Seriously, I am not usually this self centered, but everything else has been easy while I decide on shoes, underthings, headpiece, hair, makeup....I really wish everything else would just plan itself!  However, we only have a little over 3 months to go, so now that I have all MY stuff figured out I'm like, "Oh, the florist might like to know what I want and we will actually need music too, hugh?"
  • Options

HA HA! What haven't I obsessed about!! RSVP's I can't understand why it is so difficult to check a line and drop it in the mail it is addressed and has postage on it AARGGHHH!!!!

The weather, we are doing an outside wedding in a gazebo @ a Country CLub, I have a back up plan... but don't want to use it!

Money of course!!

I haven't started my seating chart yet (because of the RSVP's!) but I am already obsessing!

• Options
    Teal pocketfold envelopes for my invitations!  I spent more hours than I would like to admit scouring the internet for them and when I couldn't find them I even started looking for teal paper to make my own and couldn't find that either!  I finally put an end to the madness by biting the bullet and picking another wedding color for the pocketfolds.

The trick is to stop obsessing when that little voice in your head says "Wait a minute, I have thought of nothing else but teal paper for days...TEAL PAPER!"  That usually sends me quickly back to reality.
  • Options
    I recently decided to have my wedding (which is in June) in another state, at my FI parents house. His mom is helping me plan, but I'm freaking out about the stuff that I can't do from here. I'm in school, (will graduate 2 weeks before wedding) so I can't just randomly fly out of state to do cake tasting, and sit with florist. It's starting to make me sound like a bridezilla and his mom is so sweet, I don't want to feel like an Evil B*tch toward her.
    Then there's this problem with rings fiance and I both have issues with different types of metals, so ring shopping is hard.
  • Options
    is somebody making your cotton candy with one of those machines, or are you buying it? cuz if you can have somebody make it I would think they could just mix the pink and blue sugar to make it purple!
  • Options
    The photographer, I think I've looked at twenty different websites. Then keep looking at the same ones, over and over....What kind of veil do I wear? I wanted a bird cage or feathers, but don't think it would go with my princess ball gown. How am I supposed to know about veils?! I feel like one of you, until I've made a decision that "one" issue is all I can think about!
  • Options

Get big peices of material with your wedding colors and swoosh/string it across the top!  Does that make sense...it looks so pretty!!!

• Options
    Lots of things at different times!  Money is a huge sad discouraging thing, I kept putting everything off because everything is so over priced.  I wanted to spend $10K and Im spending $20K instead....so now TIME, I waited for the last minute for everything.  I am worried about my hair and veil and how to wear it, and who will do my hair perfectly...we want 50's pinup girl hair/fingerwaves, my theme is vintage with a modern twist, Black and White only.  Favors for a while, till I decided what I wanted!  Its all good now.  I definately cared way to much about everyone getting along and coming at first, cried alot, 9 people won't come if so and so is in the wedding...and other guest drama, I finally got over it though and who shows, shows I guess.  We are doing a wedding video, of our lives together (17 years & 2 kids later we are finally getting married) and getting all the pictures, music, video footage, love notes, etc...together for the guy who is creating it took alot of time and stress trying to make sure each family member has a appearance etc...you aren't alone!  I would say stress more than obsession though.  I do secretly worry about it raining, our walk way is thousands of fresh petals and flower heads...so I will die if it has to be moved inside!
  • Options
    "My mother in law to be. I spend more time making sure she doesent go overboard with anything, she doesent incorporate anything new, she doesent invite any last minute people and she doesent forget that this isnt her wedding...and no, she isnt paying a dime for anything. "

I am so glad I am not the only one!!!!!!!! She has called me like 3 days a week, asking me what I think about things- she is getting tips from Dancing WIth The Stars- on MY hair, Make-up,  the bridemaids, FIRST DANCE SONGS!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF?? lol If I dont answer my phone she calls my FI, and he tells me to answer. It isn't her place. But I guess it's because her daughter isnt married yet, and she is firstborn, and she is in the wedding (that is my theory anyway).  She is a great woman, just over the top. 

I am also stressing about centerpices...Weather the candels I have will burn all night like I want them too, and If I get Vanilla smell will it be too much? ya. I have a year to go, but I think Im already forming a wrinkle! Oh and I am totally aginst my bridesmaids taking off their shoes, so Im stressing that. Trying not to turn into Bridezilla- lol. One last thing.... My FI is lactose intollerant, Im HOPING we can find a cake place that does dairy free- ya thats all.

• Options

I'm a detail oriented, perfectionistic FREAK of nature. God bless anyone who has to deal with me. I sanded 400 paint sticks to make our fans that will be our programs. I couldn't have anyone help me because no one did it the way I did it.

Ribbon for everything from the flowers to the bubbles to the programs to the favors. There was MUCH searching for ribbon. Plus, everything has to be tied JUST SO and if it isn't right (and someone else tied it) I have to go back and touch it up. We are also still searching for taper candles to light the unity candle. I didn't like the white wall that would be our backdrop during our outdoor ceremony so we shopped and shopped for some kind of fabric to cover it...

How bout the wording of the invitations?! Color of ink. Of course the font. (Paper was easy because we found it at an outlet at rock bottom prices and kept it simple)

I could go on for days, but seriously, I want everything perfect for our big day. I am absolutely DYING that I won't be there in the morning to help set up for the ceremony (it is outside and there is a lot to do, but FI says "NO! We can't see each other before the ceremony and you'll be busy getting pretty....")

Good Luck ladies! We will ALL be BEAUTIFUL and FABULOUS and our wedding days will be perfect! Sending you all happy thoughts and best wishes!

T-minus 92 days and counting for us!!!

• Options
    My current obsession is my jewelry.  We just spent 4 days in New Orleans shopping through the antique stores.  I think I looked at 30 different necklace and earring combos.  I finally made a decision and bought a necklace and earrings, and spent the next 24 hours thinking I should have bought a different combo. 

Over the past few days I have gotten over it and I got some distance and realized its really not a big deal!
  • Options
    I've obsessed most over the ceremony.  We've decided to go with a non-denominational minister and he's had some ideas aboutreadings and such, but i'm obsessing about who should do the readings, when should we do the unity sand?  or should we use a candle?  it's an outdoor wedding...what would be best, I want it casual but formal enough for people to take our wedding seriously...I'm telling you, I think I got my first gray hair planning this wedding!  Will it finally get here already!
  • Options
    OMG I hate that...FH and I are both in our 20's- just out of college..NO ONE from either of our families has offered to help pay for ANYTHING. And they both could afford it too, much more than FH and I! Our budget is 1,500 bucks...that's food, dress, centerpieces...EVERYTHING. Oh wait, my older sister is a photographer and is doing our pics for free, as well as paying for the cake...so that's a chunk that I'm greatful for. But still, Mom? Dad? WTF?
  • Options
    Did you try calling people that own their own cotton candy machines and do local carnivals?  Small town carnivals often have people who make the cotton candy on sight.  Just a thought.
  • Options
    Bridesmaid dresses! I found my own dress in less than three hours but I spend DAYS online looking for bridesmaid dresses. And little things like who will stand in the receiving line (to include crazy mother in law or not to include?) and if my sister/maid of honor will remember to bring my mascara
  • Options
    Pretty much everything, too..............
    Bust mostly my dress and the flowers.........
    I want those to be perfect.............
    However, taking into consideration that I am stressed a LOT, I guess I am obssessing about everythin, just not realizing it.... Or maybe I do, Tongue out
  • Options
    I want to book a freaking venue so we can make decisions on everything else.  Every time we tell my FMIL we like a place she says 'well, have you looked at these 6 places?'  We live in a city with over a million people in it, there are hundreds of venues to look at. Unfortunately it's her checkbook that's paying for it so she has final say.
  • Options
    Over the past few weeks I have been obsessing about my wedding party, guestlist, and bridesmaid gifts.  Our wedding party has been a nightmare and finally I have decided that because of insane unnecessary, out of left field drama I have only kept my MOH in the wedding party and of course the Best Woman.  The guestlist had shrunk 5 ppl and our wedding is only 31 including us so 5 ppl is a huge deal but we have found 5 ppl from my FH's side that are his close friends that want to come.  Then it was the bridesmaids gifts.  I ordered some custom made gifts for my wedding party before the drama started and when I called to cancel one it was too late.  So I have an extra gift that is personalized in the person's name!!  Ugh!  Things can always be worse lol.  Oh I am also obsessing about the cake and venue lol
  • Options
    Mostly it was/is the favors. We have a tight budget and my fiance wants to do wine toppers or bottle openers which are $2-$3 per favor. We have to stay in the $1.50-$2 range. I have to talk to my mother and bridesmaids for help because he doesn't know pricing of things. Also I stress about timing. I need to make sure that with 5 months left I have goals each month so i can get everything done. This site is great for that! 
  • Options
    I understand ya! I think money is my overall too! My wedding is 9/18/10 and I am worried sick of how everything is going to come together. I am a DIY Bride (not that I want to be) on a fairytale theme wedding but on a very low budget.

Like you I had paid off Honeymoon, Transportation, stationary, etc but there are things I can't pay for now but have to pay for later (generally speaking "reservations"). And I am hoping and praying all goes well. 

Im hoping yours will too!  
  • Options
    I was obsessed about our "first dance" and what song we would dance to. There isn't one that is "ours" even though we love music. I wanted something that played with our theme as well, 1930's decor and finally after 7 years of engagement we are walking down the aisle! But then we decided on the song last night!!! "At Last" - originally by Etta Jones, but we chose the version by Norah Jones (it just fits so perfectly)! :)

But throughout I've been obsessed with what gifts we will purchase for my wonderful attendants. I've been searching and searching and cannot find anything that I absolutely love! They are my sister and best firends and I want something beautiful.
    I am definately thinking jewellery, I just want to make just they love the piece as much as me...

• Options
    We are getting married outside in a Gazebo in a park. I have worried about how many chairs to put out in the park and where to place them.  We have invited 100 people and my fiance and I don't want someone else to do all the work with putting all of them back.  We know that we should do a couple rows for the older folks but not sure yet.  I must say I am glad that we have paid for everything in advance---no bills left over for us, and we are going on a 7 day cruise.  We each have 2 kids so with a fam of 6 we had to start paying on stuff a year in advance. Can't wait for the big day!  
  • Options
    Right now...it's the Music!
    The ceremony music (a friend will be playing a solo violin, so I have to find things that he can play alone) and our first dance song.
    We're 6 months away and we still haven't picked a song. We need to take dance lessons and my fiance assures me that we still have plenty of time, even if we don't pick a song until June.

But, I have obsessesed about all of it through the planning. I'll pick something I think I like, and then I see a different idea or come up with a different idea, and I re-work the whole thing. I think I probably made 20 versions of my invitations before I settled on one and decided I just needed to stick with it and stop changing it. 
  • Options

Hi I am Val....Alissa's soon to be Mom in Law.  I am very honored that she wants me to help so much.  She calls me her wedding planner.  Yes, planning a wedding is very stressful....not to mention all the hard work that goes into the planning.  I am paying for most of it, and I am not the controlling mom in law.  I let her make all the decisions and only give advise when it is asked.  She wants inexpensive, which is considerate of her....sometimes I have to tell her not go with the cheapest unless she likes it.  Sweet girl.  I will tell you other Brides this.....don't stress out over the little things.  Most people are not even going to notice, believe me I know.  I am a catering on top of it. 
    By worrying over every little thing that it's perfect will end up making you sick, no doubt on your wedding day.  Don't go overboard with your Budget.  I have known many that put themselves into debt over weddings and it is ridiculous.  That day is very special to Couples, but it is after the wedding when you begin your new life, that really counts.  I have been married for 31 years so take my word for it. 
    Alissa just wants everyone relaxed and for them to have a good time at her wedding.  That is certainly what we are going to try to do. :)
    Congrats ladies, take care!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_obsessed-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:169bf215-3ba9-4db0-a57e-9ae04a53604dPost:697bb701-b667-4348-bf9d-9234351b605f">Re: What have you obsessed over the most?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel like I'm freaking out about everything!! It's like once I get something in my head (like where to have the rehearsal dinner) i like can't stop thinking about it until we have decided. But then other things I like never once worried about (like my dress!) All i know is that I LOVE planning it and I will probably  have to find some new hobbies once we're married just to keep me busy :) That's so exciting your wedding is so close! It'll be here before you know it!!
    Posted by MLC613[/QUOTE]
       I am the same way -- once I get it in my head, I can't stop thinking until we decide on it.  Crazy dreams, dreaming about ribbons and things.  We just hit the 6 month mark, so I can't imagine what I'm going to do when we get closer to the wedding!  But it is nice to know I'm not the only one...  we are all here together!
  • Options
    i obsess over one decision and then once it is made, i move on to another. For weeks i thought we would never find the perfect location and was completely hopeless after searching for hours each day and then one day, we decided on a location. Then I moved on to the photographer. I thought we'd NEVER find a photographer for our budget and obsessively searched online and asked a million people for suggestions and then we found someone. Then it was the DJ, then it was the officiant, then it was the favors and now it's the ceremony music. It's the same pattern every time. I search obsessively , feel hopeless and then one day a decision is made and I move on to the next. You'd think i would learn.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 145 Invited so far! image 84 Will be there!
    image 52 Will be square image 9 Are undecided

• Options
    LOL. I never thought I would worry about the seating  or the paper. 

The sweet and silly thing I am worried about is crying the ugly face cry. My dad is a very wonderfully sentimental man. So I am worried I will be blubbering before I even get to look at Josh. 
  • Options
    Seriously EVERYTHING! Someone else has said this also but when I get something in my head that needs to be done I focus on it for days and can't think about anything else!  From paper latterns, to bridal portraits, to candles, to seating, to centerpieces for both large round tables and cocktail tables, to LOSING WEIGHT ....the list just goes on. My fiance keeps reminding me to relax but its ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT! Our wedding is 10 weeks away and if it wasn't for my mom and my fiance I would have gone crazy by now that's for sure!
  • Options
    I had been obsessing over favors - I just figured it out last night. I was looking through some of the ideas on here and I found one where I was just like "Yes! That's it, it's perfect. That's totally what we're doing!". That's literally what I said to my fiance. I told him how relieved I was that I finally figured it out and he just laughed. He said he just doesn't get it.

Now I'm obsessing over invitations and bridesmaids in general: dresses, gifts, jewelry, hair, shoes, bouquets. I'm actually more stressed about finding dresses for them than finding my own!

Oh gosh, and chair/linen rentals! Ah!
  • Options
    UGH! My MOL is driving me crazy too and she's not paying for anything either. She has three sisters who each have two children that are in their 20s and either away at school or living on their own. I've never met any of them (my fiance's cousins) and he doesn't keep in touch with them so instead of sending each of them save-the-dates I just sent one to their parents and put + family. Apparently this was unacceptable and she had no issue TELLING, not asking, me to send them their own. So, I had to order 20 extra save-the-dates for 6 people that I've never even met!!! I've definitely spent a lot of time worrying about what else she could possibly do to make our wedding more stressful...

FRUSTRATING!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards