Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Ring or Lipo?

I have a temporary ring as we are designing my real one, I was given a 10K budget, BUT I've always want to get lipo on my hips and tummy. My fiance's given me the choice to go for a cheaper ring and have the lipo or the original 10K ring. What would you ladies do? Obviously every woman wants to feel like a princess on their wedding day and look back at the pictures and be happy with how they looked, but the rings for life........Help!!!

Re: Ring or Lipo?

• Options
    I'm not a fan of cosmetic/plastic surgeries, but 10K is a HUGE budget for a ring, and even leaving 6K of that for a ring is still a large budget. You can find a great ring in that range. So if you're priority is to have both, then I'd say both.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't really like the plastic surgery/liposuction thing either unless it is medically necessary due to an accident or something.

10k is a huge budget for a ring and I would say that you could find nice ring for less than that and still have money for the wedding and reception unless you absolutely have your heart set on the plastic surgery thing. I don't know if I could be with a man that condones something like esp if it isn't medically necessary. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Geesh..I wish my ring budget was even $3,000...!

In this situation do whatever will make you the happiest! What will make you feel special? $6,000 for a ring is PLENTY! There are some knock-out rings for that! Unless the lipo is absolutley necessary (I'm not sure what the situation is!) why don't you use half for a ring and half for a killer honeymoon!?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I would never get lipo (and I really struggle with weight). Personally, I wouldn't want a 10K ring either, I say put the extra money towards a personal trainer (much healthier than lipo) or save it. Why do you have to spend all 10K?

• Options

I chose a boob job over a new car two years ago.

I drive a old truck-- I have a nice rack.  I like it this way.

HOWEVER, I took a LONG time to think about how I wanted to invest that money, and which was more important to me.
    I took a LONG time thinking about why I wanted plastic surgery, how my life would be afterwards, and made sure i was doing it for the right reasons. I researched my surgeon, weighed every risk, talked to other patients, discussed it with close relatives and friends...etc.

Going under the knife and under anesthesia is a big deal.  If you're doing this just for one day, you are doing it for the wrong reason. 
    No one can tell you if it's the right decision for you, but you need to make sure you view this subject in it's entirety and recognize how enormous this decision is. 
    This is more than just fitting in a smaller dress, Spanx can do that...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I think $6K is a good price for an e-ring so I voted e ring and lipo !
    Good Luck !

• Options
    Lipo isn't for me, at least not at this point in life, but I voted for ring and lipo. You can get an awesome ring for $6K!
  • Options
    Why do you need a 10k ring? I understand that it is your decision but IMO, I would go for a ring that cost less and put the money towards something else. I like the idea of hiring a personal trainer as well.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ring-lipo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:6b1704c6-f115-4056-841f-762cbfa11d59Post:8d511be0-4eea-4798-a0ac-c3cf6355c2be">Re: Ring or Lipo?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I chose a boob job over a new car two years ago. <strong>I drive a old truck-- I have a nice rack.  I</strong> like it this way. HOWEVER, I took a LONG time to think about how I wanted to invest that money, and which was more important to me. I took a LONG time thinking about why I wanted plastic surgery, how my life would be afterwards, and made sure i was doing it for the right reasons. I researched my surgeon, weighed every risk, talked to other patients, discussed it with close relatives and friends...etc. Going under the knife and under anesthesia is a big deal.  If you're doing this just for one day, you are doing it for the wrong reason.  No one can tell you if it's the right decision for you, but you need to make sure you view this subject in it's entirety and recognize how enormous this decision is.  This is more than just fitting in a smaller dress, Spanx can do that...
    Posted by Wrkn925[/QUOTE]

omg i love this!!! to OP i say take the 6,000 ring and get the lipo...try to get a boob job in there as well LOL
    to everyone else saying they could use that money toward a house....i'm guessing someone with a 10,000 ring budget already has money for the house covered.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Why don't you just eat right and exercise?
  • Options
    If you are planning on havig kids then lipo is a waste of time and money.  Find a cheaper ring and use the rest of the money more economically.  Even if its on your honeymoon, at least it will last longer in memory than lipo may last in you life.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ring-lipo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:6b1704c6-f115-4056-841f-762cbfa11d59Post:a358a57f-95a5-4302-a989-be4dc6c55e18">Re: Ring or Lipo?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Instead of lipo hire a personal trainer. Sure it's harder work, but it's healthier, you will look better (tone up those muscles!), and it will last longer. Or use it to buy a house, go on vacation, etc.
    Posted by CSTK1910[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I am not a fan of cosmetic surgery. Also, why do you need a 6K ring? My FI bought me a ring that I LOVE for under 1K. Save some money for a house, etc, spend some on something fun (honeymoon?), and use what's left for the ring and personal trainer.
  • Options

I'd go for the 10K ring over lipo. My reasoning-- jewelry lasts forever. We invested in my e-ring and wedding band (and other nice pieces of jewelry he's given me over the years) and are thinking of them as heirloom pieces.

Have you tried everything else out there before thinking of the lipo? As someone else said...lipo doesn't last forever. Have you had children/are you planning on it? Maybe save up the lipo for after you have kids. Do you work out regularly now? I'm with the "hire a trainer" group, especially as surely you'll have lots of time before your wedding. I'm a pretty small person-- I was overweight last year, and at my heaviest, weighed 145 lbs-- and was able to lose 30 lbs in 3 months (and TONS of body fat) and go down 3 sizes in 3 and a half months, just by hiring a trainer and watching what I ate. Have you really, honestly, tried to lose the extra fat on your tummy and hips without the lipo?

I'm a to each her own kinda gal, and I'm not against plastic surgery-- I just think lipo can be a waste of money considering it won't last forever. An expensive ring will.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with the personal trainer idea.  I was trying to loose about 10 lbs for my wedding (in February) and have already lost more than that just taking 3 spin classes a week!  My 1 year gym membership was only $400.  I would definately put the rest of your budget  towards an amazing honeymoon, or maybe into a college fund for your future children...
    IAmPregnant Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I had a little bit of lipo four years ago as part of a breast reduction surgery (deemed medically necessary and considered reconstructive surgery--not elective!)...

Can I just say LIPO HURTS LIKE A MOTHER! 

Seriously, I have never understood why someone would elect to have that done (I didn't know my surgeon was going to do it).  You come out bruised and extremely sore for the better part of a month (if not longer).

Lipo is also not a permanent solution for weight loss.  Be smart, spend some of the money on a beautiful ring (like everyone said, even $3,000-4,000 on a ring is a huge budget) and use the rest of that money for a great honeymoon or a down payment on a house!
  • Options
    Get a ring you love (no matter if it's 1K or 10K, assuming that's well within your budget) and get healthy! Lipo doesn't last long, but good habits do. Even if you get a less fabulous ring, keep in mind that you'll have so many future anniversaries and brthdays with your husband and he can upgrade your ring later.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Completely agree with hiring a personal trainer!!!  Use the money to join weight watchers and hire a trainer and do it right.  Going under the knife is scary enough, I cant imagine opting for it for an unnecessary surgery.  I understand feeling self conscous and insecure, but how great will you feel when you lose the weight with hard work, diet and exercise?!! 

Also, please keep in mind that your fiance loves you the way you are - not for a skinnier you in the future. 

Find a gorgeous ring you love and if there is money left over buy some upgrades for your honeymoon.

Good luck to you!
  • Options

You are kidding right?  Can you please reread what you wrote and try and see how shallow you are coming across?  I know that my fiance is marrying me for the person who I am, not what I look like.  I am marrying him for the person who he is, not how big the ring is.  I would have said Yes to marrying him if he got my e-ring from a gumball machine, or even no ring at all.  The ring itself is not about the commitment.  It's about the person offering you forever, and loving you unconditionally, no matter how you look or how fat the bank account is.  If you don't understand this maybe you're not ready to get married.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ring-lipo?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:6b1704c6-f115-4056-841f-762cbfa11d59Post:7b563479-0cbc-41d8-a9db-33a5da612740">Re: Ring or Lipo?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are kidding right?  Can you please reread what you wrote and try and see how shallow you are coming across?  I know that my fiance is marrying me for the person who I am, not what I look like.  I am marrying him for the person who he is, not how big the ring is.  I would have said Yes to marrying him if he got my e-ring from a gumball machine, or even no ring at all.  The ring itself is not about the commitment.  It's about the person offering you forever, and loving you unconditionally, no matter how you look or how fat the bank account is.  If you don't understand this maybe you're not ready to get married.
    Posted by mrstfuture[/QUOTE]

Yup.  What she said.
  • Options
    Halelujah! Someone said it:  Lipo isn't necessary.

May I just add that my ENTIRE wedding was under $10,000.  Ring.  Honeymoon.  Food.  And it was the time of our lives.  We didn't have it in a backyard and didn't give up anything that we wanted.  It was classy.  We looked good. 

Can you imagine how far your $10,000 would go to someone not as lucky as you are?  Maybe they need a medical procedure, lost their house to a natural disaster, can't afford clean water, lost their job. 

Get over the plastic surgery (and the HUGE ASS ring, too) and go for something that will matter in the end.
  • Options
    If you have the budget, do what you want.  Even with a personal trainer and diet and exercise, there are sometimes areas that still have problems...like cellulite, for example. If you feel like you need the surgery to feel great about yourself for you wedding or whatever, do it.  I would suggest doing everything you can as far as diet and exercise first. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ok for all of those people trying to make her feel bad about getting lipo... please don't be so judgmental on something you have NO experience with. I used to say I would never get lipo as well but when my sister in law got it, who I thought didn't need it and was beautiful just the way she was and was NOT over weight and worked out EVERYDAY and eat a healthy diet, I saw how my more happy she was what a big different it made. Lipo is not made to be a quick cheating weight loss system. It is designed for people who are healthy and have some extra fat that does NOT respond to diet and excersise. I work out 5-7 days a week and have always been a VERY healthy eater and I had some extra fat in my inner thieghs that I wanted gone. I did it and I feel and look great. Now I would never tell someone they should go get lipo or that they need it. It is a personal decision you should make yourself but I don't want you feeling judged for wanting it. With that being said, if you are not a healthy person before lipo you must plan to be after because the fat will come back if you dont diet and excersise. So if you dont plan to then dont get lipo and spend all the money on the ring. I personally don't think 6k is a lot of a ring but maybe I'm spolied. But if you a like me and are healthy and plan to be healthy after go ahead and get the lipo I know you will be happy you did. 
  • Options
    Just FYI, according to Dr. Rey (Dr. 90210) lipo causes cellulite...just something to think about.
  • Options
    don't get the lipo, obviously this man loves you the way you are, and lipo is usually a temporary fix, if you don't dramatically change your lifestyle you will gain back that same weight in the same location. Design a ring you love, invest whatever is left over, and get yourself a fabulous pair of spanx for your wedding day! 
  • Options
    o2cleanedo2cleaned member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    My husband and I never found the "right" e-ring before we got married, but we both have the wedding bands that we both wanted and treasure. (complete custom!) 

I gained about 10lbs before we got married, but even that, my husband wanted me for who I am and the way I am, and even told me I was the best thing on our wedding day! Beauty comes from within! I'm sure you're beautiful the way you are. Wink

• Options
    I agree with CSTK1910 - Join a really great gym/spa and hire one of their personal trainers to get into shape.  Lipo is a terrible idea and there can be hideous complications.  Just look at Tara Reid.  Ouch :(

Here is a blog posting showing gorgeous ring alternative, all for under $10,000.00.  

With all the money you will save by not getting lipo, you'll have a fantastic, athletic body, a beautiful, affordable ring AND might even have some cash leftover to do something cool for your honeymoon.
  • Options

This is wrong all around

i though marriage was about love? obviously your hubby to be loves you for who you are! so, lipo? why?

and 10 K for a peice of jewelery?! that's the cost of my whole wedding. this is supposed to be about LOVE, not big expensive things!

i think this is kind of sad.

• Options
    I personal would go for the 10k ring, but if you are partial to lipo then 6k is still a nice ring and you get both.
    TTC #1 8/31/2012 BFP 4/15/2012 ~ EDD 12/20/2012 MC 4/19/2012 5 WKS Anniversary
  • Options
    "You are kidding right?  Can you please reread what you wrote and try and see how shallow you are coming across?  I know that my fiance is marrying me for the person who I am, not what I look like.  I am marrying him for the person who he is, not how big the ring is.  I would have said Yes to marrying him if he got my e-ring from a gumball machine, or even no ring at all.  The ring itself is not about the commitment.  It's about the person offering you forever, and loving you unconditionally, no matter how you look or how fat the bank account is.  If you don't understand this maybe you're not ready to get married.
    Posted by mrstfuture"

Really People, dont be jelous this girl has the money and the option to get a $10,000 ring, its being offered to her, why wouldnt she take it. I say good for you! And clearly, if her FI is giving her a budget of $10,000 for a ring, im pretty sure they already have an amazing honeymoon planned, and money for a house. If you have the money do what you want with it. ENJOY IT. We work so hard for our money and never really enjoy what we work for. If its being handed to you take it and enjoy. Get your ring, maybe get it a little cheeper so you can still get lipo if you choose. However if you go through with the surgery, be very safe and research your doctor and make sure you have plenty of time to recover before the wedding.
  • Options
    I think the choice here is easy.  Spend $9,500 on your ring and get a year gym membership with the left over money.  If you want that leg and belly fat to stay gone, you have to lose it the natural way, by changing your lifestyle and getting in the habit of working out.  Otherwise, your lipo is going to be very temporary and your ring and lifestyle choices will be forever.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards