Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends

Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends

• Options
    I don't see how the signature cocktail has anything to do with Carrie Bradshaw.  I'm doing one because I want one alternative to beer and wine, yet can't afford a full open bar.

I still like the birdcage veil, but only with certain dresses.  I do think that some people put them on just because.  

I have noticed that more and more non-strapless dresses seem to be coming out.  That's a good thing.   
  • Options
    I like the idea of photo booth props but could never force myself to put on a communal hat, all I would be thinking about is someone's head lice.. :shudder:
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options

I can assure you, my husband? Not a hipster. Just a freaking weirdo. And all his props were new, bought day of.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_top-10-annoying-wedding-trends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0270a24a-8a0f-4c37-a420-8c2ab2f50755Post:731be1f9-fb2d-4a1e-96b4-d4bc28505420">Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to agree with all of those, except 2. <strong> I am wearing a strapless gown because I liked it and felt beautiful in it, not because it's a trend. </strong> If you don't look good in one than don't wear it!  Second, I kind of like the jumping poses...ducks head in shame.
    Posted by jnic0319[/QUOTE]

I usually hate strapless dresses and I never ever wanted a strapless wedding dress, but that ended up being the dress that looked good on me. Go figure.

The jumping shots make me cringe, though. And birdcage veils are fine if you/your dress can pull it off. If your dress calls for a chapel length veil, though, go that toute, please.

While I agree with TJ about bride fatigue, whenever I see that someone has a photobooth, I think, "Yeah, uh, you didn't come up with that idea yourself. It'll be out little secret." Not that brides come up with the idea of a 3 tier cake or first dance, but those are pretty normal compared with a photobooth or candy bar.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I SPECIFICALLY told my photographer there would be no jumping. NO.JUMPING. Because I thought it was stupid.  Thank god I made it in the time allotment for the birdcage veil! haha  But yeah, I agree with all of these.

Though I wish "Tiffany" as a theme would die a horrible and painful death.
  • Options
     Oh, and I don't really care for the Chuck Taylors.  I know a couple that did it 3 years ago, and it was kinda cute because it was their style.  But, I know so many people who don't even own those shoes, and go out and buy it for their wedding.
    Come on, you can even wear nice shoes for your wedding?

TJ, I do agree with you about things definitely seem more over-played here on The Knot, like the candy buffet.  The wedding I went to 2 weeks ago had that and a photo booth and even girls who recently got married said, "OMG.  I never saw anybody do this!"  At first, I was shocked, but then I realized never everybody (even if they're wedding planning) frequents The Knot, StyleMePretty, etc.
  • Options
    I like people's jumping pictures.  But what do I know?  I'm not even engaged.

Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    jenelle- Make a bio!!  I love rockabilly, and specifically, rockabilly weddings.  Do you have a dress picked out yet? 
  • Options
    Gosh I hated her writing style!!!

I disagree about the photo booth thing.. just don't use the prop.  I think it is awesome to see that uncle of yours in sunglasses.. lightens the mood and sort of indicates to everyone that they are allowed to be silly.

She had a good comment to make about strapless dresses- although I believe her delivery sucked.  I wanted a strapped wedding gown and it was almost impossible to find.  So I was a bit pissed that all the ones I found were boring.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_top-10-annoying-wedding-trends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0270a24a-8a0f-4c37-a420-8c2ab2f50755Post:80593a23-fedb-4b0f-ae69-9e5831be026f">Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends : If wearing a little jaunty chapeau is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of something my brother would say.

The last three weddings I've been to have been damask. True story. So that's not a case of bride overload. That's a case of something your guests have most definitely seen before.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Salt, pics or it didn't happen.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

i'm actually surprised i only commited one of these at my wedding...sort-of (signature drinks)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_top-10-annoying-wedding-trends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0270a24a-8a0f-4c37-a420-8c2ab2f50755Post:4ef96cf9-3cab-4b93-b799-43fb3b0c27ec">Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends : Dani I agree.  Even before I was deep into wedding planning I didn't get the obsession with damask...so overdone.
    Posted by jnic0319[/QUOTE]
    lol, nice sig pic.
  • Options
    Heh.  I also specifically told my pianist no Canon in D.  Mostly because I can't stand the song anymore.  I played it far too often in school. It just so happens it's popular for weddings.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_top-10-annoying-wedding-trends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0270a24a-8a0f-4c37-a420-8c2ab2f50755Post:1e8d0e5d-b0f3-4e68-bc64-fa574e2375c6">Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fuuck mini donuts. I'm having big donuts at my wedding!
    Posted by georgia_bride09[/QUOTE]

You are my kind of woman.
    As for candy buffets, I've never actually seen one at a wedding I attended, but I would be happy as a clam to see one.  You can never have too much candy. 
    I've never seen a photo booth either, but I don't love that as much as I love candy.
    I had the super over-done trend of a chocolate fountain at my wedding and it was a hit. 
  • Options

The top hat should be used as a prop for the photo booth. Also  I'm wearing a birdcage veil and I'm ok with being the on ass end!

• Options
    I love damask.  I didn't do it but I love it.  I have yet to attend a wedding with it too. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm using apple green damask for table runners :)
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • Options
    I am anti-prop in general.  Like I saw this shoot the other day where the B&G had a bunch of vintage suitcases.  Did it look cool?  Yeah.  But sometimes I wonder if people 100 years from now will look back at our wedding pictures and be like, "so, what was the anthropological purpose of having ten suitcases, a bag of oranges, and neon pink paper parasols at their wedding?"

I just think they generally look kind of douchey.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    zippitybzippityb member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2010
    You know what would be an awesome prop? A monkey. One of the little ones. They're more fashionable.
  • Options
    And another thing?  I hate themes for weddings.  Vendors/friends kept asking "what's your theme?" and we'd be like, "um, wedding?"

DH joked at one point that he was going to tell the next person who asked that we were debating between a squirrel or dinosaur theme.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_top-10-annoying-wedding-trends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0270a24a-8a0f-4c37-a420-8c2ab2f50755Post:f302529d-8f1b-4940-aac1-545876d2d836">Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends</a>:
    [QUOTE] DH joked at one point that he was going to tell the next person who asked that we were debating between a squirrel or dinosaur theme.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

This is awesome.  I would do anything to go to a dinosaur themed wedding.
  • Options
    zippitybzippityb member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2010
    I loved my themed wedding. I wish I was creative enough to come up with a dinosquirrel one, though.
  • Options
    my wedding was also "wedding themed" and we played Canon in D.  I couldn't afford a photobooth since its so freaking "in" right now.  I think the next played out trend will be cupcakes. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_top-10-annoying-wedding-trends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0270a24a-8a0f-4c37-a420-8c2ab2f50755Post:fad7bd82-746f-4910-bbc4-0d8d2c85d825">Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends</a>:
    [QUOTE]my wedding was also "wedding themed" and we played Canon in D.  I couldn't afford a photobooth since its so freaking "in" right now.  I think the next played out trend will be cupcakes. 
    Posted by andy71781[/QUOTE]

I never liked cupcakes.  It always reminded me of school birthday parties. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_top-10-annoying-wedding-trends?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0270a24a-8a0f-4c37-a420-8c2ab2f50755Post:633eca50-aa07-49f7-b7b4-7a503057e58d">Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 Annoying Wedding Trends : I never liked cupcakes.  It always reminded me of school birthday parties. 
    Posted by andyandhillary[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's why I like them. They have a good cake-to-frosting ratio.

The best thing ever, though, would be cupcake cones. I have yet to go to a wedding with cupcake cones.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Ok, everyone, jump on three, and try not to come down with your stillettos dug into grass, the bride's train, or the foot of the person next to you!

In what world is jumping in 3 inch pointy heels and full-length dresses a good idea?

And I bought a strapless dress.  By the time I get done with alterations it will be a chic one-strap.  But photo booths I gotta love, and not just cause I'm doing one.  What's better than 2 big drunk families, a bunch of drunk friends, and a camera?
  • Options
    well, I have a strapless dress and it looks fabulous on me, so there :)

other than that, totally agree and would add:

"the graduate" or Ma and Pa Kettle style photographs of the bride and groom standing next to each other frowning. Do they realize that will look so stupid in a few years???

Heck, I think it looks stupid now, of course.
  • Options
    My uncle, who is doing our wedding video said to me "you're not wearing a strappless, right?" 

I'm not, but asked why that was even an issue.  He said that most of the weddings he does where the bride is wearing a strapless, she's always pulling and nudging it up while she's dancing.  He said they look stupid on video because thats all they do all night.

This was actually the reason I didn't get a strapless, I knew I would always be checking to see that it wasn't falling.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Wow, I'm a real loser. My dress is strapless and I'm on the ass-end of the birdcage veil. Oh well. When I had my hair trial run yesterday no one even knew what a birdcage veil was. At least I like what I chose, or at least I think I do. Wait a week until the wedding and then maybe I'll change my mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards