Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Mini rant and opinion poll

2»

Re: Mini rant and opinion poll

• Options
    Oh good Dani  - I thought it was just me.I was just thinking that my own wedding didn't even consume all my time.  I still went to some charity events, cookouts with friends, the bar, the movies. I think I even went away for a long weekend.I'm sure I would be able to find time to go to b-party or shower for my BFF or plan something.Heck a few less hours on the knot would free up some time.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I think you will be fine... look at it as an opportunity to do a lot of fun things together :)
  • Options
    I agree with Dani, Lynda and Stage. I don't think it takes all that much TIME to plan the wedding, it's really more the MONEY. It's not like you couldn't go to her parties just because your wedding nearing too. We had a lot of DIY that depended on our final RSVPs, so that was the stuff that we had to put on hold the weekend of my best friend's wedding. But, believe me, it was completely worth it. My placecards were not more important than her marriage. And if I'd known we were going to be that close time-wise (she picked her date 2 months before her wedding, and I got swine flu right after), I would have eliminated the DIY stuff, or I would have at least gotten the templates ready or something. But, everything came together just fine for both weddings and we got to celebrate with one another, so that's pretty cool :)
  • Options
     It's meant to be "look at how much less time and effort it takes to plan a wedding than people expect".that is how I took your post.Planning a wedding does not really have to take too much time.  Saving the money, booking the venue/church and in my case picking the right time of year to take time off caused the long term engagement than the actual planning time.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    You get one day. Not two weeks.YAWN.our honeymoon was 2 weeks.  if i was in the situation that vall finds herself in, it would have been a BIG problem.
  • Options
    Everytime I see "You only get one day" I want to throat punch someone. It's overdone and it's time for a new knotbot auto response.No, I wouldn't schedule my wedding 2 weeks apart from my best friend's. That pretty much guarantees that neither of us would be able to devote as much time or money to the others wedding as we would normally be able to. That would suck.
  • Options
    It's definitely a bit of a bummer, but I think you have the right attitude about it. Hopefully you two can help each other plan and support each other by doing some of the wedding stuff together. Or maybe have a joint b party? (only if you want to--I'm not trying to force anything on you).I'm sure once you get used to the idea it will be fine. Does your guest list overlap? If it does, I'd definitely give those guests plenty of notice about your wedding.
  • Options
    I'd try to make it farther apart if I could, because of finances and because I'd worry about conflicting with her honeymoon plans. Other than that, I don't think it's a huge issue.
  • Options
    One week might be stepping on toes if you know a lot of the same people. Two weeks is totally acceptable. Plus, June is still a popular month to get married, so maybe she really wants a June wedding and that's what she can get.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Also, what do you want her to do? Put off her wedding for a year so you can get yours over before she starts planning? Six months? I don't understand how everyone says you guys will be stressed about planning both weddings. How long does she need to wait until it won't be stressful?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards