Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Evening thread

Re: Evening thread

• Options
    Ugh now that the twins & parks&rec are over, my brother turned the tv to COPS (I'm still at my parents). This show makes me feel gross.
  • Options
    I don't understand the whole gap thing.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    Oh man looks like another (possible) troll over on SB. WHAT IS IT with trolls hoppin' over there? If she is a troll though, it would make me sad because I remember her story about her FI dying.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aatb-ygpm_.0
  • Options
    Ciara - gaps are pretty common at Catholic weddings.  Most churches have Saturday evening mass, so the latest cermony time tends to be around 2 PM. People want evening receptions, so they end up with gaps.

It's actually really pretty normal where I'm from, but I don't like it.  I'm getting married at a student parish, so there's no Saturday evening mass in the summer, so our ceremony is at 4:30, and there's no gap before the reception.  It's actually part of the reason I'm getting married in the summer.  Which is usually Mica's point - there are ways around having a gap, whether its an afternoon reception or a chapel or a long cocktail hour.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:34ad7957-606f-4d2d-aff2-64a7086cc13fPost:88c14c9b-05a5-4e97-b976-a2318950faa1">Re: Evening thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh man looks like another (possible) troll over on SB. WHAT IS IT with trolls hoppin' over there? If she is a troll though, it would make me sad because I remember her story about her FI dying. <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aatb-ygpm_.0" rel='nofollow'>http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aatb-ygpm_.0</a>
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

I remember the story about her FI!  It made me really sad.  If she's a troll....it just seems pretty low.
  • Options
    Okay that somewhat makes sense now. So you go to the ceremony then mass and then the reception?
  • Options
    Grr... I hate trolls.  Has Kate C posted here?  I wonder why the trolls prefer SB.
  • Options
    Yeah she hasn't come back to explain it but I think that the evidence seems suspicious.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I feel like such an idiot when it comes to anything involving religion. I try not to get involved in any of those discussions because I honestly know nothing.
  • Options
    Most of my friends are Catholic, so I'm used to going to 2pm weddings. However, we usually go straight to the reception afterwards and start drinking around 4-4:30 while we wait for the bridal party and dinner. That's why I always have a hangover the next morning.
  • Options
    I've never seen her here, Mica. Only on SB.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:34ad7957-606f-4d2d-aff2-64a7086cc13fPost:659d8bc7-05b0-4adf-ac08-674eb8da378d">Re: Evening thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay that somewhat makes sense now. So you go to the ceremony then mass and then the reception?
    Posted by Ciaram22[/QUOTE]

You go to the cermony (which may or may not be a full mass).  You have to be out by a certain time so that the parish can have its regular mass - so no, there's no extra/middle mass.  For about 2 hours, the WP takes pictures.  And the guests generally find a bar to go to, since they're all dressed up, often out of town, and have nothing to do.  So you spend money on nachos and beer before going to an open bar/full dinner at the reception.  Its silly.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:34ad7957-606f-4d2d-aff2-64a7086cc13fPost:9eb32651-0707-47d4-9a7d-166b63692d2b">Re: Evening thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Grr... I hate trolls.  Has Kate C posted here?  I wonder why the trolls prefer SB.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]
    what did i miss here?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Okay now it all makes sense. Never been to a catholic wedding that I can actually remember.
  • Options
    Kjb, they've discovered another troll on SB.
  • Options
    I remember that girl posting awhile ago. I'm glad her story about her dead FI is hopefully untrue.

Meg, that seems like a lot of work to drive around. I'm glad my friends just open up the bar at the reception. :)
  • Options
    ok, i went and looked.  
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:34ad7957-606f-4d2d-aff2-64a7086cc13fPost:5b3dc0c3-2532-4384-b938-7601e4db6410">Re: Evening thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Meg, that seems like a lot of work to drive around. I'm glad my friends just open up the bar at the reception. :)
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY.  JUST OPEN THE BAR.

See?  I'm new here, but I just channeled my inner Fishy for a minute.  That's how much I hate gaps.
  • Options
    It was important to H and me that our guests wouldn't just be trying to waste time on our wedding day.  We had stuff planned so that everyone had a place to sit and eat and drink from the beginning to end.  I've been the guest just waiting by the reception doors to get in with nothing else to do.  That sucks.
  • Options
    Good girl, Meg!

Bars are good.

Did I mention to you all that one of H's best men is in the wine distribution business?  He's the reason I wasn't around for part of this week.  We were in Napa staying on a winery and drinking way too much wine.  I missed you all and wished you could have shared the bounty.
  • Options
    Every wedding I have ever been to has had a gap of a few hours. I've never minded.  We did not have a gap at our wedding and it was SO rushed.  We didn't get married in a church, but I kinda wish we had at least an hour to just relax a bit and have a little time to ourselves.  oh well.  at my next wedding maybe.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm very virginal when it comes to being a wedding guest. I've only been to 2 in my life, one when I was 11 or 12, and one when I was 15. Both were family members.
  • Options
    Did I mention I'm meeting Andy, Musical, Nuggs, and Steph numbers next weekend? No? Because I totes am.

WHHHHHHEEEEEEe.

I think i've been here too long when i'm just not surprised that shitlike that isn't real. After Majikglassbride, it's all kinda game over. Or modgate Oct. 09....

Pick one.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_evening-thread-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:34ad7957-606f-4d2d-aff2-64a7086cc13fPost:c374cfdc-7c48-4546-b734-92538974ec62">Re: Evening thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good girl, Meg! Bars are good. Did I mention to you all that one of H's best men is in the wine distribution business?  He's the reason I wasn't around for part of this week.  We were in Napa staying on a winery and drinking way too much wine.  I missed you all and wished you could have shared the bounty.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think these things.  But they don't play well on CW.  They play ok on my local board.  And they are really, really not popular on my month board, which is (like most) very puppies and rainbows.

And I am jealous of you for having a wine distribution business friends.
  • Options
    Next wedding, schnext wedding, kjb.  

But... if you do have a next wedding, I expect to be goldfish attendant.  That's what I'd be in LDY's wedding.
  • Options
    Gaps.

I hate gaps that are more than an hour.

But I love shopping at The Gap. I'm so torn.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    YAY FISHY! I hope you all don't think I'm so super lame when I only have like, one drink, or two maybe, haha. 

I kinda wish I was around for all the old infamous scandals of yore.
  • Options
    I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT C and W IS. That's how often I leave this board.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    CW = Catholic Weddings.

I remember majik that stuff was crazy.
  • Options
    Musical. I already know you're awesome. Not a worry in the world, friend.

The Margarita Evolution
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards