Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:63bf0d30-babd-429b-832c-f0635ed6e099">Re:Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]While I understand what everyone is saying and I don't think all loans should be forgiven I am also a bit insulted by what some people are saying. Basically what I've read here is that people who don't know what they want to do and have to go to a name school shouldn't get their loans paid off. Fine. But what about people like me. I knew from the time I was five that I wanted to teach. I went into school to getan education degree. I chose a small liberal arts school that was honestly the cheapest choice around. I got that degree and then my masters at another, also reasonably priced, school. I now have close to 90,000 in loans. I would love to be able to find a job and pay them back. However there are no jobs in my area. They are cutting teachers left and right. I do have a full time job but it doesn't pay enough for me to pay my loans and other bills every month. I'm not going to default on my loans but I dont like the insinuation that this is my fault. Please tell me what I should have done differently. It is people like me that these programs are for. Not people who are just fooling around. Please domt lump us all into one group.
    Posted by dramaqueen91087[/QUOTE]

Did you actually read what anyone wrote?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    Habs2HartHabs2Hart member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    Drama - It was YOUR choice to take out $90,000 worth of loans.

If there aren't jobs in your area, move.  Don't expect everyone else to pay back the money you took out to fund your future. Maybe you should have checked into job availability before going after your masters.  Just because you wanted to do it since you were 5, doesn't mean that others should have to pay for it.

ETA:  It's called research.  You should do it before taking out major loans. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:d3a92b7b-cc78-4392-92f7-5225d917a782">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : Agreed. <strong>People are not financially educated these days and get degrees in subjects that they "love" without considering whether or not they will be able to utilize these degrees in employment that will enable them to fund these degrees</strong>. If we were having moneyball fights as a country that was economically prosperous, that would be one thing, MAYBE. But in our current economic state, and internationally speaking... no. Just no.
    Posted by montanabounding[/QUOTE]

Yep.  The Philadelphia Inquirer ran a front page series a month or so ago highlighting grads who can't find a job.  One was a Harvard Grad with a BA in Philosophy working as a janitor at his place of worship.  What kind of job exactly was he expecting?

I was an English major and worked full time and lived at home to pay my tuition.  I knew if journalism did not work out for me (which it didn't after I got a tasted of the inside of a TV newsroom) it was on to law school where I had a fighting chance of making money.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:63bf0d30-babd-429b-832c-f0635ed6e099">Re:Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please tell me what I should have done differently.
    You shouldn't have taken out 90k in loans. Especially going into teaching, which everyone knows isn't a well-paid vocation, especially earlier in one's career. (Side note, I think teachers should be better paid, but that's not reality and a different arguement).

You're coming across as one of the aforementioned people that have a sense of entitlement.
  • Options
    Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:63bf0d30-babd-429b-832c-f0635ed6e099">Re:Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]While I understand what everyone is saying and I don't think all loans should be forgiven I am also a bit insulted by what some people are saying. Basically what I've read here is that people who don't know what they want to do and have to go to a name school shouldn't get their loans paid off. Fine. But what about people like me. I knew from the time I was five that I wanted to teach. I went into school to getan education degree. I chose a small liberal arts school that was honestly the cheapest choice around. I got that degree and then my masters at another, also reasonably priced, school. I now have close to 90,000 in loans. I would love to be able to find a job and pay them back. However there are no jobs in my area. They are cutting teachers left and right. I do have a full time job but it doesn't pay enough for me to pay my loans and other bills every month. I'm not going to default on my loans but I dont like the insinuation that this is my fault. Please tell me what I should have done differently. It is people like me that these programs are for. Not people who are just fooling around. Please domt lump us all into one group.

I've known since I was five that I was going to teach, too!  =-)

There are lots of people in your same situation who are "upside down" in their loans until they can get jobs in their field.  I also have tons of teaching friends who relocted down here because they couldn't find jobs up North.  While I agree that it's not your "fault", it is still your responsibility to pay off a loan for which you signed.  *fault meaning you can't get hired in your current location

Was a  Master's required for your state teaching credentials?  We're not required to have one and they only boost our pay by $2k a year which is why I ask. 
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    90k for a fucking teaching degree?  Wtf?
    panther
  • Options
    I do not thing this Act should pass.  I think people need to really need to see what they can afford and plan accordingly. community college vs private big schools etc.

I got paid $8/hr (then up to $10/hr) for 2 years after getting my master's degree before I landed a job that uses my degree.  And I started to pay my loans back starting 6 months after graduation.  It is definitely doable.
     I also agree with PPs mentions of entitlement of youth today- it's getting pretty bad
  • Options
    I have 50k in debt from grad school, and I have less than half of what others in my graduation class had thanks to a hefty research assistanceship that I was awarded. I chose to go to the best MFT master's program in the country because it does make a big difference in my field. I'm also eligible for loan forgiveness programs if I work at a nonprofit for 10 years after graduation. I think incentive or service based forgiveness programs make more sense than a blanket forgiveness. I could also get behind forgiving loans after 25 years of consistent payments instead of 10. This is a P and R, but I'm interested to see which direction this goes later.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:01bbd158-226e-4a5b-824f-19f2f1320108">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]90k for a fucking teaching degree?  Wtf?
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  That $90k IS your fault.  You signed for it.  Own up to it and pay it off. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:fd42aa1d-f7f9-4d89-a721-4fbfcc85ce6b">Re:Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : You shouldn't have taken out 90k in loans. Especially going into teaching, <strong>which everyone knows isn't a well-paid vocation,</strong> especially earlier in one's career. (Side note, I think teachers should be better paid, but that's not reality and a different arguement). You're coming across as one of the aforementioned people that have a sense of entitlement.
    Posted by daffodil_jill[/QUOTE]

Amen!  After 17 years, I have finally made it to $43k.  And adding a Master's to that would take me a minimum of 5 years to break even.  Just not worth it unless you're going into administration like Mr B and you have to have one.  BTW, we're paying cash for his program.  ;-)
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Drama, people like you are the problem.

You had a choice to go to a community college or a cheaper school, but you wanted to go to the small liberal arts college and be in 90K worth of student debt.  

You are being lumped into the "entitled" group, because that's exactly what you are.
  • Options
    Drama - Did you ever look at what teachers made?  Even if you did get a job, how did you expect to pay back $90K in the normal 10 year period?  Did you work while you were getting your degree?  Did you ever think to take a break from school to save up for it?  I'm sorry, I really am because I understand the position you are in for not being able to find a job in your field because I'm in the same boat, but YOU still took out the loans.  There's nothing more to it than that.  If you don't pay them back, who should? 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I mean... 90k in loans might be legit for some fields but I can't wrap my head around it for teaching.  I know schools like med school, law school, flight school etc can be hella expensive.

But what do I know, I went to J-school instate and my loans are paid off.  I live in an upper midwest perfect bubble or something.  My alma mater DOES have the highest student debt in the country but I think it's because of its programs - teaching is one of them, but pretty sure no one is paying that to go there.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:8c9e685f-000d-4320-a30a-802117ae328f">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]Drama, people like you are the problem. You had a choice to go to a community college or a cheaper school, but you wanted to go to the small liberal arts college and be in 90K worth of student debt.   You are being lumped into the "entitled" group, because that's exactly what you are.
    Posted by amys325[/QUOTE]

To be fair, she said the liberal arts school was the cheapest one around, and the school for the masters was reasonable priced.  Now, whether the masters was absolutely necessary at this point is another issue.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:8ec28353-ce49-4ad8-b7c5-d00d9f86bc44">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : To be fair, she said the liberal arts school was the cheapest one around, and the school for the masters was reasonable priced.  Now, whether the masters was absolutely necessary at this point is another issue.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

Way to go and be the voice of reason Adamar.<div>
    </div><div>But still, did she not understand what she was doing?  I guess that's what bothers me.  People don't understand that they might not get a job right out of college.  It was the same for me....jobs were hard to come by when i graduated, but I took what I could in order to help pay off my debt.</div><div>
    </div><div>I would like to go back to school to get my masters, but I'm still paying off a portion of my undergrad and I don't want to go into anymore debt than I already am.  It's all about making good choices.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:8ec28353-ce49-4ad8-b7c5-d00d9f86bc44">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : To be fair, she said the liberal arts school was the cheapest one around, and the school for the masters was reasonable priced.  Now, whether the masters was absolutely necessary at this point is another issue.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

Yes, but what was wrong with the state university?  Or doing community college for two years and then transferring to the state university?  I'm sure she could have gotten the same degree that way for a LOT less money.

Point is, college is a choice, not a right.  You chose to go to a school you couldn't afford, and get multiple degrees that you couldn't afford.  Why should that be everyone else's (because you know the taxpayers are going to get stuck funding this) responsibility to pay off your bad financial decisions?

Even if it takes you 40 years to pay off, it's YOUR responsibility!  Period.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Free college for everyone!

Next: free mortgages!  How can you expect to actually pay for a house?  THOSE THINGS ARE EXPENSIVE.  EVERYONE DESERVES THEM.
    panther
  • Options
    I think staying in school for a masters in today's economy is really kind of foolish, unless you have a job already lined up that's pretty much a guarantee and you need your masters, not just want it, or can fund it yourself.  I mean, it's so much debt and jobs in every industry are difficult to find.

My program went from a 90% graduate employment rate when I enrolled to a 25% graduate employment rate in three years. 

People need to do the research.  I went to University for a year and a half before I decided that it wasn't for me.  What the hell was I going to do with a degree in English?  Like, really?  Half the bloody degrees out there are super pointless.  So I switched to college (4 years was the same in tuition in College as one year in University) and I got a job three weeks out of school because they teach you practical, hands on things in college, instead of just theory that makes up at least 60% of the degrees from Universities. 

I mean, it's all fine and well if you've dreamt of being something since you were a kid, but times are tough.  You might either have to work your ever loving ass off and take way longer to do it, or change your plan because your dream may not be realistic.

Research before taking out stupid amounts of money in loans. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:a06505ce-3fa9-4dd3-857d-d147331a3a58">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think staying in school for a masters in today's economy is really kind of foolish, unless you have a job already lined up that's pretty much a guarantee and you need your masters, not just want it, or can fund it yourself.  I mean, it's so much debt and jobs in every industry are difficult to find. My program went from a 90% graduate employment rate when I enrolled to a 25% graduate employment rate in three years.  People need to do the research.  I went to University for a year and a half before I decided that it wasn't for me.  <strong>What the hell was I going to do with a degree in English?  Like, really?</strong>  Half the bloody degrees out there are super pointless.  So I switched to college (4 years was the same in tuition in College as one year in University) and I got a job three weeks out of school because they teach you practical, hands on things in college, instead of just theory that makes up at least 60% of the degrees from Universities.  I mean, it's all fine and well if you've dreamt of being something since you were a kid, but times are tough.  You might either have to work your ever loving ass off and take way longer to do it, or change your plan because your dream may not be realistic. Research before taking out stupid amounts of money in loans. 
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hey!  I have a degree in English....</div><div>
    </div><div>and I do finance.   </div><div>
    </div><div>It's weird, but at least I have a job, right?

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:472a0787-2494-4a3f-a895-52d65cfa8d94">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : Yes, but what was wrong with the state university?  Or doing community college for two years and then transferring to the state university?  I'm sure she could have gotten the same degree that way for a LOT less money.<strong> Point is, college is a choice, not a right.  You chose to go to a school you couldn't afford, and get multiple degrees that you couldn't afford.  Why should that be everyone else's (because you know the taxpayers are going to get stuck funding this) responsibility to pay off your bad financial decisions? Even if it takes you 40 years to pay off, it's YOUR responsibility!  Period.
    </strong>Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

No shiiit.  I was just pointing out that she didn't say "I went to Harvard for 10 years and now I have all these loans!"

• Options
    90K for a teaching degree is just fuucking stupid. You don't need your masters to start out for teaching.

I went to community college. I knew that was what I could afford and I didn't want loans. Even at 17 I knew I would eventually have to pay them back and it would suck ass. But I think if people assume "hey what's the worst that can happen, I can just get my loans forgiven" then people are not taking responsibility and making other people pay for your mistakes.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:9a9ed5e7-a1e9-4ad0-9c5d-49c05cd450b4">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]Drama - It was YOUR choice to take out $90,000 worth of loans. If there aren't jobs in your area, move.  Don't expect everyone else to pay back the money you took out to fund your future. Maybe you should have checked into job availability before going after your masters.  Just because you wanted to do it since you were 5, doesn't mean that others should have to pay for it. ETA:  It's called research.  You should do it before taking out major loans. 
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]

That is flucking insulting Habs. Are you kidding me?? 

I, frankly, agree with Drama. I worked my ass off during school. I took 20+ credit hours every semester, and worked. I had no car, no cell phone, none of that extra stuff. 

I went to a tiny, rural school that- even though I had a 3.5 GPA from HS, and got a 24 on my ACT's, I STILL had trouble getting into college. Scholarships? forget it. My parents had, not only, no interest, but no ability to help me through college. I am the ONLY person in my family to even THINK I had a shot.

How is what I did not acceptable?  I would LOVE to be able to have my student loans forgiven. I need it. I could be a hell of a lot of help to the economy if I didn't have to send $500 to the government every month.

To imply that I'm some kind of idiot for 'not doing research' before I took out loans is BEYOND insulting to me.
  • Options
    I think the "in my area" is telling of the mindset people have today. There is still plenty of work to be had out there, but often times, you have to go to it, it doesn't come to you. I just packed up and moved halfway across the country, 1500 miles from my friends and family, so that we could have better opportunities for success. Both my husband and I were able to find stable, decently paying jobs here in a place with a lower cost of living. We live better now than we ever could have dreamed of on the east coast, even though we both miss it. I am going back to school to work on my degree in the fall-- now that I can afford it without loans, because it didn't take someone spelling out to me that $90k (or whatever amount) without a guarantee sounded like a terrible idea, even at the age of 18. No one wants to do the hard thing anymore. It's all about what is convenient, and what they WANT.

(I do realize that this is easy to do if you don't have a home to sell, etc. and not so much once you do, but I am assuming most newer college graduates do not.)
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Habs, not to sound defensive, but I enrolled in university to get my Master's before the financial crisis hit.  I'm two semesters and a thesis away from graduating.  Yeah, to quit now would mean that I wouldn't accumulate any more debt.  But at the same time?  Those credits expire.  Meaning that all the debt I previously accumulated?  Would have been for nothing.  I'd rather take out a little more debt and have a degree, than let all the work and the money I took out before go to waste.

Admittedly, that's me, and that's my choice.  And I will pay back every penny.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:92038fd9-cfcc-470b-8b0d-156797575efc">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : Hey!  I have a degree in English.... and I do finance.    It's weird, but at least I have a job, right?
    Posted by amys325[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's good.  Why'd you pick English?

I chose it because I loved english in High school and did really well in it... English and Uni is not even remotely close to HS english.  I figured that out fast!  lol.

I knew I wanted to be in a creative feild, and I didn't see what I wanted with the English degree without being in school further, which is part of the reason I left. 
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:7138be3e-7689-4dfd-9e6d-a0012e1a1f3f">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : That is flucking insulting Habs. Are you kidding me??  I, frankly, agree with Drama. I worked my ass off during school. I took 20+ credit hours every semester, and worked. I had no car, no cell phone, none of that extra stuff.  I went to a tiny, rural school that- even though I had a 3.5 GPA from HS, and got a 24 on my ACT's, I STILL had trouble getting into college. Scholarships? forget it. My parents had, not only, no interest, but no ability to help me through college. I am the ONLY person in my family to even THINK I had a shot. How is what I did not acceptable?  I would LOVE to be able to have my student loans forgiven. I need it. I could be a hell of a lot of help to the economy if I didn't have to send $500 to the government every month. To imply that I'm some kind of idiot for 'not doing research' before I took out loans is BEYOND insulting to me.
    Posted by Snippylynn[/QUOTE]

ya, but did you take $90k out for a career that is hard to find and that doesn't require even close to what you went to school for and now think you shouldn't have to pay it off? 

Ya, things change while you're in school, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a $90k loan is going to be pretty hard to pay off as a teacher.  That is what I am talking about.  And, taking out those kind of loans are a personal choice, others shouldn't have to pay for it. 

ETA:  I am NOT saying that people should never get loans for school.  What I am saying, is that taking out loans that are more than what you will be able to pay back in your chosen profession is foolish and research needs to be done to make sure that you can pay them back if you land a job in that profession or with that degree. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:252cce32-73e8-4729-8165-082b518dff3a">Re:Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have 50k in debt from grad school, and I have less than half of what others in my graduation class had thanks to a hefty research assistanceship that I was awarded. I chose to go to the best MFT master's program in the country because it does make a big difference in my field. <strong>I'm also eligible for loan forgiveness programs if I work at a nonprofit for 10 years after graduation</strong>. I think incentive or service based forgiveness programs make more sense than a blanket forgiveness. I could also get behind forgiving loans after 25 years of consistent payments instead of 10. This is a P and R, but I'm interested to see which direction this goes later.
    Posted by polichik[/QUOTE]

Teachers also have the ability to have around 17K of student loans forgiven if they teach at schools that serve low income families for 5 years consecutively.  I believe math/science teachers and special education teachers have the ability to have more forgiven than some other subjects, though.
    imageVacation
  • Options
    Well I think it's kind of idiotic to think you shouldn't have to pay back many you loaned.  If loans didn't need to get paid back they'd call it free money. 

And wouldn't banks fucking collapse or something again if they didn't get their money back?  Ffs.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:241e5174-fe9b-4902-94dd-54327b4d7396">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : Yes, that's good.  Why'd you pick English? I chose it because I loved english in High school and did really well in it... English and Uni is not even remotely close to HS english.  I figured that out fast!  lol. I knew I wanted to be in a creative feild, and I didn't see what I wanted with the English degree without being in school further, which is part of the reason I left. 
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]

<div>I actually started out in Education, but then changed my mind in my Junior Year.  It was the only major that I could switch to and still graduate on time (as in 4 years).  I had planned on getting a minor in business, but I would have had to stay for another year and didn't want to.</div><div>
    </div><div>I have a ton of friends who have degrees in English and have amazing jobs.  It's more just a general degree, just like marketing, psychology, etc.  </div><div>
    </div><div>However, the way I have really gotten my foot in the door is just from where I went to school.  Alumni from my college are everywhere.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    Habs, you make it sound like the only problem is 'lack of research.' That's far too simplistic. There are a lot of students eating ramen, working at least part-time, and trying really hard to manage their debt.

I dont' think the loans should be forgiven, but I think the problem is a lot more than just students with their heads up their asses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards