Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012

• Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:311974d4-11b8-4cac-b752-5d8626bf713c">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : Threadjack. I just saw the outcome of UNDs nickname.  How do you feel about it?
    Posted by amys325[/QUOTE]

Bittersweet.  The name has never offended me, but I'm not Native American so what do I know.  The state legislature was stupid to enact a law forcing them to keep it and anyone who voted to force the school to keep it is a dumbass.  The athletic teams can't play anyone if no one will touch them because of NCAA sanctions.  It was necessary.

ETA - I should add that this thing is far from over.  The same people who got this on a June ballot are now pushing to get it on the November ballot for a Constitutional amendment.  And they have about 30k petition signatures for their cause.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:79d5dbec-8fc2-44ce-9806-f441abf5f415">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]If this passes, I want them to pay me back for the student loan that I already paid off. Granted, this would be awesome for H because we still have lots of his student loan to pay off, but it sucks for all those people who worked hard and paid off their loans.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

I agree!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    All I have to contribute to this is that I'm digging Snippy's take on things because it's the dissenting voice and makes for a much better debate for someone (me) who could go either way on this due to lack of knowledge on the subject.

I will say this. I sorta know this Congressman (fun fact: he used to live in my building until I moved 6 months ago). He represents the city of Detroit and a couple surrounding suburbs. He's a junior congressman and is very much on the side of low and middle income families. Like, to a fault sometimes. He represents an area that got hit HARD when the bottom fell out, and frankly, well before that. So, yes, while he's a national rep., he's very much thinking about his own constituents with this bill. So, while that's not an excuse for the bill, it does explain where this guy is coming from. People here need all the freakin' help they can get and I know there are other communities feeling the same.

I also didn't see any co-sponsors of this bill in my 5 minutes of looking, so I basically see this thing as a 'pet project' of my dear congressman, that likely won't go anywhere. What it does serve to do is bring the issue to light and hopefully over time, some sort of compromise or better regulation in higher ed will come from it that does benefit people who are underwater but also doesn't screw the taxpayers (and yes, I live in an ideal world where this compromise is possible ;-)  )

To the whole "college is a choice, not a right" argument. I agree it's not a right. But I also agree in this day and age, it's also not much of a choice. We all know the economy is changing. In Detroit, it used to be you could get a high school diploma and get a great job on the line at one of the Big 3, support your family, have a summer home, blah blah. Those days are gone and at minimum you need a bachelor's to get any sort of decent paying work. And I know Detroit isn't the only area like this. Our economy is drifting away from the industrial/manufacturing age and it values ideas and entrepreneurship and all the other things you learn in college over physical labor and a basic education. This is why having an English or Poli Sci degree -- while not "functional" on their surface -- are better than having no degree. Sure, people could make better decisions about where and how they get that education, but IMO, that education is pretty necessary.

I will also say there are flaws in the thought that you shouldn't take out more debt than you think you can afford based on your expected salary. Obviously, that makes sense in theory. But let's take my friend, who is finishing up law school and still has undergrad debt. In my naive eyes, she should easily be able to handle her debt once she gets out of law school b/c she'll be a fancy lawyer with a big paycheck, right? Wrong. She even has a law-related job now so it's not like she's starting fresh. Yet, she's fighting with her employer to pay her a salary that would make it possible to pay back her debt in a reasonable amount of time. Just because you go to school for something you think will have a certain return, it's just not guaranteed any more.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:312fa14f-23c0-433b-a7c6-67facd74bee7">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : Bittersweet.  The name has never offended me, but I'm not Native American so what do I know.  The state legislature was stupid to enact a law forcing them to keep it and anyone who voted to force the school to keep it is a dumbass.  The athletic teams can't play anyone if no one will touch them because of NCAA sanctions.  It was necessary.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

<div>We represent one of the more predominant Alums from UND and they were involved with helping to retire it.  And not in a bad way, it was just more of a decision since the Sioux didn't agree with it.  It was more of a decision made out of respect that tribe.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    The thing about The Sioux nickname is that there are SOME people who are voting that they keep it because they're kinda jackholes and WANT them to be barred from arenas and tournaments.

They need to LET. IT. GO. It's better for the school if they do. They're just screwing themselves over.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    The whole Sioux name thing has become pretty fucking toxic for people here.  It's sad.  I know what kind of pride and honor can be associated with names, but at what point do you throw in the towel?  I would say the point when none of your rivals will play you and you're getting threatened with getting kicked out of your conference.  Yeah.  That's when.

My high school changed its mascot too, lol.  They were the Satans.
    panther
  • Options
    I do not think we should be paying for others loans. I agree that kids need to be more educated on finances. I really didn't think about the issue of paying back a loan when I was 17. Also, teacher forgiveness programs down here are for only about $5,000. That's if you meet all criteria for being in a critical shortage position and the criteria changes often. A masters is not required to teach here. in my county, starting teachers make about 38k and no longer get yearly additional salary for higher ed degrees. They determine what your masters is worth to them and then pay out that amount to you over 4 years or so.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:360c1d10-dbb8-4308-a54b-923ed7abd487">Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-hansen-clarke/student-loan-forgiveness_b_1454241.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-hansen-clarke/student-loan-forgiveness_b_1454241.html</a>   Have we talked about this?  CN: A congressman from MI is proposing a bill for students to  have their students loan forgiven after certain criteria is met. 
    Posted by gurrlballa10[/QUOTE]

I think loan forgiveness is okay if like they said, people made a good faith effort to pay them (meaning, actually paying them on time or even if they defaulted paying them back on time faithfully for 10 years). I think that shows a good level of responsibility.

I went to an expensive private school for undergrad, but I got mostly grants for them and took out loans (not very much compared to how much the school costs).

But I knew that grants aren't given for grad school. So instead of going to a "big name school" again like i did the first time, I went for (and completed) a city run grad school that gave me a quality education, and that cost tens of thousands less than what most schools charge now.

Basically, I did borrow for school, but I did not borrow more than I thought I could pay back. For my undegrad loans, I'm actually halfway through paying for the last loan. I've already started paying back the grad school loans. It will take me a few years to pay it all back, but I know that in the end, I've acted responsibly AND my credit score won't be in the crapper.

I do think that rising costs for education is a problem. But I don't have any pity for people who borrow irresponsibly either.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not **ALL** of the tribes were against it.

And in some ways, UND didn't quite fulfill some of their promised obligations.

Also, I think a lot of students have it in their heads that they'll get an education and land a bang up job. College is a choice. They college you ATTEND is a choice. Taking out money is a choice. Just with every investment people make. Investments, at times, let you down. But that doesn't mean that you should get things for free because life didn't turn out like you thought it would when you were 18.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012:
    [QUOTE]Not **ALL** of the tribes were against it. And in some ways, UND didn't quite fulfill some of their promised obligations. Also, I think a lot of students have it in their heads that they'll get an education and land a bang up job. College is a choice. They college you ATTEND is a choice. Taking out money is a choice. Just with every investment people make. Investments, at times, let you down. But that doesn't mean that you should get things for free because life didn't turn out like you thought it would when you were 18.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I only know the parts of the story that the very long winded head of the Alumni Association told me.  I saw on twitter via CNN though that the bill passed to retire it.  I was interested to see how other alumni felt about it.

And for the second bolded.  I completely agree.  College is an investment, it's not a guarantee that you will land a job.  

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:b19dc730-c065-41f0-b9c6-ce180b7fb07f">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get what you're saying, Snips, but this plan doesn't seem like it's very well thought out. Also. <strong>What IS the penalty if you don't repay your student loans? I</strong> mean, I don't think that harsher punishment for NOT paying your loans is the answer, I'm just seriously wondering.

For one, your credit score goes in the toliet, which makes it hard to qualify for anything else you might need later, like say, housing (even for renters!) or a car.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Alumni are all over the place by the sounds of it. I AM JUST REALLY SICK OF HEARING ABOUT IT.

Retire the name, and let the controversy die. What to do about the arena? Now, that I'm not sure about.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:6de46bef-6a34-4340-984d-91f4e2c6dee5">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]All I have to contribute to this is that I'm digging Snippy's take on things because it's the dissenting voice and makes for a much better debate for someone (me) who could go either way on this due to lack of knowledge on the subject. I will say this. I sorta know this Congressman (fun fact: he used to live in my building until I moved 6 months ago). He represents the city of Detroit and a couple surrounding suburbs. He's a junior congressman and is very much on the side of low and middle income families. Like, to a fault sometimes. He represents an area that got hit HARD when the bottom fell out, and frankly, well before that. So, yes, while he's a national rep., he's very much thinking about his own constituents with this bill. So, while that's not an excuse for the bill, it does explain where this guy is coming from. People here need all the freakin' help they can get and I know there are other communities feeling the same. I also didn't see any co-sponsors of this bill in my 5 minutes of looking, so I basically see this thing as a 'pet project' of my dear congressman, that likely won't go anywhere. What it does serve to do is bring the issue to light and hopefully over time, some sort of compromise or better regulation in higher ed will come from it that does benefit people who are underwater but also doesn't screw the taxpayers (and yes, I live in an ideal world where this compromise is possible ;-)  )<strong> To the whole "college is a choice, not a right" argument. I agree it's not a right. But I also agree in this day and age, it's also not much of a choice. We all know the economy is changing. In Detroit, it used to be you could get a high school diploma and get a great job on the line at one of the Big 3, support your family, have a summer home, blah blah. Those days are gone and at minimum you need a bachelor's to get any sort of decent paying work.</strong> And I know Detroit isn't the only area like this. Our economy is drifting away from the industrial/manufacturing age and it values ideas and entrepreneurship and all the other things you learn in college over physical labor and a basic education. This is why having an English or Poli Sci degree -- while not "functional" on their surface -- are better than having no degree. Sure, people could make better decisions about where and how they get that education, but IMO, that education is pretty necessary. I will also say there are flaws in the thought that you shouldn't take out more debt than you think you can afford based on your expected salary. Obviously, that makes sense in theory. But let's take my friend, who is finishing up law school and still has undergrad debt. In my naive eyes, she should easily be able to handle her debt once she gets out of law school b/c she'll be a fancy lawyer with a big paycheck, right? Wrong. She even has a law-related job now so it's not like she's starting fresh. Yet, she's fighting with her employer to pay her a salary that would make it possible to pay back her debt in a reasonable amount of time. Just because you go to school for something you think will have a certain return, it's just not guaranteed any more.
    Posted by Meegles4[/QUOTE]

I'm totally lurking here, but this bolded part is exactly the problem. 

Quick link with stats to back up what you just said: 
    <a href="http://inflationdata.com/inflation/inflation_articles/Education_Inflation.asp" rel="nofollow">http://inflationdata.com/inflation/inflation_articles/Education_Inflation.asp</a>

And this is why I'm really bothered by all the "entitlement" comments.  I wouldn't call my peers entitled...just bitter.  Bitter that we're being asked to bankrupt ourselves for the exact same education that our parents had handed to them on a silver platter.  My mother used to work summers as a hotel maid, and her 2 months of labor over the summer used to be enough to pay off her entire year of college afterward.  I also worked summers in college, but was left with barely enough for textbooks by the time September rolled around.

It's just sad.  Something has to give here, because we NEED college graduates.   A country without an educated populace simply can't survive as a world power.
  • Options
    *threadjack*

Meegles - are you guys on the People Mover? :) That's awesome. I've never seen wedding pics on the People Mover.

*end threadjack*

I consolidated my federal loans years ago when promised a 3% interest rate. Then it was raised to 7% in 2008. Seriously?!? Okay, whatever. I continued to pay them, because I understood they were a loan. Also, Direct Loans was very flexible when my income was all over the place. I was able to put them into economic forbearance for a certain amount of time (three years?), and then they put me on an income-based plan that is extremely affordable. At one point, it was going to take me 25 years to pay them off, but I understood it was a loan and I'd gotten myself into that kind of debt. My responsibility, nobody else's.

On the other hand, I do think education should be more affordable, and I do feel bad for those who borrow money to pay for a degree and cannot find a job. With the rising cost of tuition/fees, it seems like anyone who doesn't end up in the medical or science fields is pretty much SOL. I feel really bad for the current generation of college students. Incomes haven't changed much since I was in school, but tuition/fees are almost double, sometimes triple, what they were when I was in college. It's sad. :(
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:cbcfa7e8-6b4e-4235-b28f-95ae26a88bf1">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not **ALL** of the tribes were against it. And in some ways, UND didn't quite fulfill some of their promised obligations. Also, I think a lot of students have it in their heads that they'll get an education and land a bang up job. College is a choice. They <strong>college you ATTEND is a choice</strong>. Taking out money is a choice. Just with every investment people make. Investments, at times, let you down. But that doesn't mean that you should get things for free because life didn't turn out like you thought it would when you were 18.

I think this is one of the biggest points.  H's cousin is 18 and attending a private art school out of state.  I don't presume to know how she and her family are financing it, but tuition and housing is about $35k a year.  For a photography degree.  How much do you think she can reasonably expect to make after graduation?

I, on the other hand, went to a state school where the scholarships I worked my butt off for covered tuition instead of one of the several private schools I was looking at where I'd have graduated with a ton of debt.  it IS a choice.
  • Options
    crfischecrfische member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2012
    I'm sorry, did you just say that my father had his education handed to him served on a silver platter?

Because I assure you, that was not the case. He worked damn fucking hard to put himself through college, so yes. Stop sounding entitled.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:a2222541-693a-46a3-832a-ede8b9a60e12">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]*threadjack* Meegles - are you guys on the People Mover? :) That's awesome. I've never seen wedding pics on the People Mover. *end threadjack* Posted by wrigleyville[/QUOTE]

Yep! May not be good for actual mass transit purposes, but it makes a nice photo op ;-)

I also forgot to add that I agree with financial literacy classes in high school early college that would help students understand what they're getting into and responsibly take on debt. But I agree with that for a whole lot more reasons than just the problem of student loan debt.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:2885429e-b978-4fa6-94a9-308feb6f965b">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]I, on the other hand, went to a state school where the scholarships I worked my butt off for covered tuition instead of one of the several private schools I was looking at where I'd have graduated with a ton of debt.  it IS a choice.
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this, all the way. While I'd hate to deny anyone their dream of attending Yale, it's really a big picture thing. My parents forbid me to go to school out of state because tuition would be astronomical. I fought them all the way because I was 16 and not thinking clearly. Even though UM was expensive, it was still much cheaper than it would have been to attend U of Chicago or Northwestern for undergrad, so I'm glad they dug in their heels.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:9c162c3e-9465-49e5-a281-38221cb33a97">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 : The problem is, is that the bill is stating 10% of your discretionary income in 10 years.  Well, I can make my DI virtually nil if I worked at it hard enough.  Whose to say what are the requirements for someone's DI?
    Posted by gurrlballa10[/QUOTE]

Very true.  I was reading an article yesterday that spoke of a loophole in student loans, about paying only a percentage of your income, based on how large your family is, etc.  Just for S&G, I ran the numbers for my student loans:  the result was I could sign up for this, pay $0 on my loans, and they would be forgiven after 10 years, or something like that.  All because (right now) I am the sole bread winner in the household, with a Hubby and 2 kids.  I will continue to pay off my loans - I took the loans out, it is my responsibility to pay them back.

I think the article was on MSN Money, not sure. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    And? If you think it's the EXACT SAME EDCUATION, you're fooling yourself.

You don't think education has had an overhaul in the last few decades? Really?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Shawn, who do you know that had college handed to them?  Really. 

My mother didn't go to school because she was #7 of 10 children and realized that she could get a job working as a medical secretary without going to college.  My father worked his ass off doing three jobs to get an associates' degree, and then went back for his bachelor's when I was five.  I wouldn't exactly call that "on a silver platter".

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    My H made the choice to go to a small private liberal arts school for $30K/year to get his undergrad in Marketing.  I chose to go to a state school for $10K/year to get an undergrad in English.

We make the same amount of money.

I'm not saying this is always the case, but a more expensive education =/= a better paying job.  For the most part an undergrad degree is the equivalent of what a HS degree was 20 years ago.  

IMO, if you (general you) think you deserve to have your student loan debt repaid because you took out too much and you didn't get the job of your dreams, then you are entitled.  
  • Options
    auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2012
    This thread makes me gleeful (most days I’m surrounded by people who seem to think so much differently than I do).

There is no such thing as a free ride: If you borrow money, you should pay it back. Period.
    Even if the financial reasoning behind it made sense (which it doesn't), there's still the principle there.

IMO this is also another kind of class warfare:
    Certain degree programs are more rigorous than others, and in many cases, salaries for these degrees are higher (there are exceptions, obviously, but as a general trend).

So in this plan, people who took on a more challenging 4 years, to take on a more lucrative career, will end up having to pay substantially more back than others (as their 10% DI is higher), only to then ALSO pay way more back in taxes when Uncle Sam comes to call, as this thing has to be paid for somehow.

And, several of the loans that they’ll be needing to pay back will be teaching degrees, philosophy degrees, political science degrees, as they aren’t as well paying. And several of the people with those degrees will either go into the public school system or into government jobs, where the rest will AGAIN have to pay for their salaries with more taxes.

Extreme Case:

You have two people both studying at Harvard. One majors in pre-med, the other in basket weaving.
    The doctor pays back tens of thousands of dollars in student loans.
    The basketweaver works at McDonalds for 10 years and pays back maybe 10k.
    The doctor pays tens of thousands of dollars in income taxes every year.
    The basketweaver gets government aid.
    The doctor still pays tens of thousands of dollars in income taxes every year, and then even more to pay back other people's forgiven loans.
    The basketweaver gets a government janitor job and reaps the benefits.

Obviously a stupid example, but why should the doctor pay for the same person three times over?
    They shouldn’t. They should both just pay their own student loans!!!
  • Options
    Mr. Fish doesn't have a college education.

I have my master's degree.

He actually makes more than I do.

So there's that.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:776286f7-b191-4be3-b1b2-9871e0b04e31">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry, did you just say that my father had his education handed to him served on a silver platter? Because I assure you, that was not the case. He worked damn fucking hard to put himself through college, so yes. Stop sounding entitled.

EVERYONE with a degree worked hard.  That's not what I'm arguing. 

Look at the inflation graphs.  Look at how dramatically the cost of education has outpaced the cost of living.  This doesn't mean your father didn't work hard.  It means that the exact same degree he received is about 500x more expensive than it was when he was in school, making that degree virtually unaffordable for most.  Even when you're working your way through college.
  • Options
    rsannarsanna member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    Just really quick because I am on my phone. But i want to say it is not just tuition, the whole thing is fvcked up. I have scholarship for my tuition and I still have loans because there was no way I could make the $8-9k for student housing, which has gone up $400 every year but only for new students. There is also the fact that all financial aid expects parent help. Parents arent required to help. I get financial aid. I do. But dont encourage people or tell parents they need to take out loans for their kids education.

Edit, because my phone is super dumb.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:776286f7-b191-4be3-b1b2-9871e0b04e31">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry, did you just say that my father had his education handed to him served on a silver platter? Because I assure you, that was not the case. He worked damn fucking hard to put himself through college, so yes. Stop sounding entitled.

<div>You've probably moved on from this but my dad went to a college that was an all girls school the year before so he got a full ride on a minority scholarship. Fun fact of the day. </div>
  • Options
    amys325amys325 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Who the fuuuck goes to Harvard and majors in basketweaving?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:f0b13248-ddd6-44db-85bf-edf6b767229b">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who the fuuuck goes to Harvard and majors in basketweaving?

<div>Rofl.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_student-loan-forgiveness-act-of-2012?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:48877555-724b-434d-af30-714514611108Post:f0b13248-ddd6-44db-85bf-edf6b767229b">Re: Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who the fuuuck goes to Harvard and majors in basketweaving?

I used a far-fetched example to make a point.
    But I know actual people who went to Stanford for music and Vanderbilt for drama.
    Almost every school has lucrative degree programs, and not so lucrative degree programs, and it annoys me that those who choose the lucrative ones and <em>potentially </em>work harder should then be expected to pay for those who did not.

Everyone should be responsible for themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards