Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

FFF

Re: FFF

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:51a8e464-34b9-430e-8efe-5123cc1b39d4">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : I'd put it on a necklace it was too big to wear.  No shame in that game.   At some future point H is planning on upgrading.  Not gonna lie- totally stoked about that.  I'm a greedy biiitch who wants a giant rock.
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

H felt that the diamond in mine was not big enough so he mentioned upgrading down the line.  I did not dissuade him from this notion.  I love my ring as is but I'm not dumb, I will take a larger one if he's offering.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:7af1b12f-6cae-4e0b-b580-144e7e8f85a7">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I asked H to get the biggest diamond he could afford. He told me it would have been much bigger if I didn't have stupid metal allergies, thus requiring palladium.
    Posted by specialk84[/QUOTE]

Yup mine is the biggest Ben could afford too. 

...I wanted a nice ring.  That's not to say that a smaller ring wouldn't have been nice, but, yeah.  I like generously sized diamonds, lol.

Even still though I don't see a small diamond as being a bad thing.  A smaller, excellent quality diamond can cost as much if not more than a larger diamond of lesser quality.
    panther
  • Options
    My parents put together a quickie wedding when my dad got his orders to move to Germany. They had six weeks to plan the wedding and get all their stuff packed to move overseas. As a result, my mom's original ring was TINY.

Thirty years later, they upgraded. She now has a ridiculous band and a blinding anniversary ring, as she calls it. 
  • Options
    Exactly, muni. Since I'm late to this and I don't want to read anything about rings, I also think the secretary word thing is ridiculous.
  • Options
    I whack H in the face with my ring all the time when we're sleeping. Actually, even if we're just on the couch watching a movie. I think I dangerously flail my arms about too much. I'm like those used car lot wavy things.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:73b315c0-b60e-47cd-b4eb-1a741b3cc43f">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]My friend doesn't believe in upgrading, so his girlfriend is pushing hard for the biggest ring he can afford.  I don't see anything wrong with upgrading when you're farther along in life and have more money.  It's like buying a nicer car.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

I dont believe in upgrading wedding rings either, really. I don't judge people that do, but it's definitely not for me. I want to look at my rings on my 50th anniversary and remember DH putting THAT ring on my finger.
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with upgrading either, clearly.  My mom has upgraded several times and my MIL at least once.  

Ex-H thought upgrading was horrible and that the original ring that you put on at your wedding was the ring you would wear for life and blah blah blah.  We were college kids when he bought my engagement ring.  It cost 100 dollars. Sorry, but if we had stayed married, I would have wanted a bigger ring at some point.  It hurt his feelings that when i started working at a high end jewelry boutique that I stopped wearing the 100$ ring to work.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:1d15a0ba-4ed6-4cd0-92b5-2e889f2f9781">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't see anything wrong with upgrading either, clearly.  My mom has upgraded several times and my MIL at least once.   Ex-H thought upgrading was horrible and that the original ring that you put on at your wedding was the ring you would wear for life and blah blah blah.  We were college kids when he bought my engagement ring.  It cost 100 dollars. Sorry, but if we had stayed married, I would have wanted a bigger ring at some point. <strong> It hurt his feelings that when i started working at a high end jewelry boutique that I stopped wearing the 100$ ring to work.  </strong>
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>My feelings would be hurt too.

</div>
  • Options
    My aunt has a 4 carat diamond and it is all you see. I don't know if it is the way it is set or the band but I would say it looks like it could be too big, IMO. However, if she ever wanted to give it to me, I would not turn it down. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love my engagement ring more now that I have the matching wedding band beside it.  Probably because it is all shiny and new at the moment. 

Re lurkers, that is something I just do not understand, why do it? 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:930ee7fd-6afd-479d-834d-4e8db3101396">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, after being away for a couple of hours I just came in on page 20 to tell you all I have a 17 carat diamond.  Boom. No not really.  I've tried on big ass diamonds, and they look dumb on my hand because I have a short knuckle. 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

I would look stupid with a big rock too. My fingers are short and stubby, like little pork sausages.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:930ee7fd-6afd-479d-834d-4e8db3101396">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, after being away for a couple of hours I just came in on page 20 to tell you all I have a 17 carat diamond.  Boom. No not really.  I've tried on big ass diamonds, and they look dumb on my hand because I have a short knuckle. 

<div>It might not be the size of the diamond- it could be the way it's set or the shape of that stone. When working in fabrication, we'll take a cab and set it on people's fingers to see which way to set it and if it's at the wrong angle or facing the wrong direction, a stone can look schitty on someone, then you turn 90 degrees and it's awesome. I am willing to bet that there is a big ass diamond that would look awesome on you.</div>
  • Options
    Muni, I've seen you do this a few times. You write 100$ instead of $100. Why?
  • Options
    I'm also sentimental about my ring and never want an upgrade but other people can do whatever they want. Fine by me. I can honestly say I don't even know the caret size of mine because it just doesn't matter to me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:c2f421bf-d97f-4198-bd30-25be0129d725">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : My feelings would be hurt too.
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

<div>Really?  It seemed over-sensitive to me.  I was fabricating and selling very high end jewelry.  I was expected to wear that boutique's jewelry while at work.  The jewelry I wore represented that store.  I still wore it when I wasn't working.</div>
  • Options
    Regarding sentimentality about rings, I think my H might be worse than me. He lost his ring in the pool on our HM and I tried to calm him down saying, "If worse comes to worst, we'll get a new one. Don't worry." And he looked scandalized and said, 'That's the ring I wore on OUR WEDDING DAY." We eventually found it before hissypants could freak out more :P

I did like his sentimentality, though.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:5f48bc13-9d9e-4ce3-b4a8-d555277ad544">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Muni, I've seen you do this a few times. You write 100$ instead of $100. Why?

<div>I don't know, really.  I guess 100 dollar sign makes more sense in my head because it's one hundred dollars not dollars one hundred?  I've never really thought about it.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:58d19bb5-1e67-4c5f-9292-09f3b8acd7b2">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Really?  It seemed over-sensitive to me.  I was fabricating and selling very high end jewelry.  I was expected to wear that boutique's jewelry while at work.  The jewelry I wore represented that store.  I still wore it when I wasn't working.

<div>Unless the management said you couldn't wear it, I think you should have kept it on. I understand your xH is a jerkface, but I'm going to side with him (and Erin) on this.</div>
  • Options
    I was so happy when FI proposed I really couldn't pay attention much to the ring. We did not discuss rings ever and I had no clue he was going to propose. Then once I finally paid attention to the ring, all I could think about was how I knew it wasn't going to fit. I have huge fingers and I was embarrassed because I knew it wouldn't fit. I hate my fingers. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:6df7197b-872a-40ac-a21f-3940ee1d1c7a">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]Regarding sentimentality about rings, I think my H might be worse than me. He lost his ring in the pool on our HM and I tried to calm him down saying, "If worse comes to worst, we'll get a new one. Don't worry." And he looked scandalized and said, 'That's the ring I wore on OUR WEDDING DAY." We eventually found it before hissypants could freak out more :P I did like his sentimentality, though.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

<div>H is like this too. He didn't lose it, but he sounds horrified by the idea of ever replacing what we have. He also wants to be buried with his ring, so there's that.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:47fcdd1a-6fb8-47a0-9f6f-35a351fb35e4">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Unless the management said you couldn't wear it, I think you should have kept it on. I understand your xH is a jerkface, but I'm going to side with him (and Erin) on this.

I don't know, I'm kind of with Muni on this one.  You can't sell shoes at Nordstrom wearing ON flip flops. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:3e8b46d0-11e9-4884-a441-5f52b37e1ee3">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Baby doll, I've tried on all cuts and shapes.  Trust me.  ;)  I was playing with a fly 3 ct emerald cut last week, and a jazzy two and a half round the other day.  I'll stick with my pretty pretty solitaire.  I love that you and I can talk shop though.  VENDORS.

<div>Heh, fair enough.  BUT I DON'T DO WEDDING JEWELRY ANYMORE SO I'M NOT A VENDOR!!!!! I fabricate for a decidedly non-wedding designer nowadays. (I keep trying to get her to branch into weddings though, because I think there is a huge market for middle price point bridal jewelry that is neglected.  If i suceed, i guess i'll be a vendor again)</div><div>
    </div><div>I wonder if they would have considered me a vendor when I was working in repairs? I think I was still doing that when I signed up here. </div>
  • Options
    Yeah, but I think most people are capable of understanding it's an ENGAGEMENT RING, not something she just picked out for herself. I would also think people who were there looking at engagement rings would understand the sentimentality of it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:b44e7b92-1b37-4889-a0a0-827620631c07">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : I don't know, I'm kind of with Muni on this one.  You can't sell shoes at Nordstrom wearing ON flip flops. 
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly!  Thank you.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I actually had several customers remark on the fact that I wasn't wearing a ring from the store.  As in, if you didn't get your engagement ring here, why should I.  After the third one, that's why I stopped wearing it.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:47fcdd1a-6fb8-47a0-9f6f-35a351fb35e4">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Unless the management said you couldn't wear it, I think you should have kept it on. I understand your xH is a jerkface, but I'm going to side with him (and Erin) on this.

I don't wear my wedding ring to the gym.

Do you think this should hurt my husband's feelings?
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-97?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:99bd8be1-e439-4dd8-9082-1789d0df1860Post:376c9445-a9b7-4641-bfee-ecc9b74d9c94">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Exactly!  Thank you.   I actually had several customers remark on the fact that I wasn't wearing a ring from the store. <strong> As in, if you didn't get your engagement ring here, why should I.</strong>  After the third one, that's why I stopped wearing it.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    Ok I have a different flame that I thought of. I already half mentioned it before, but I think that veggie was just as unhinged at times as SF in all that mess. I thought she pulled out the personal attacks to SF when SF mainly had general opinions that, while unpopular and offensive, did not specifically call out veggie. I thought it was weird and creepy of veggie to go on fb just to prove a point to SF that she could find her from her old sn. I know other people have done this to posters too and I think it is really weird and stupid. It seemed like veggie just was super into being a huge b!tch to SF just because she knew she could get her riled up.
  • Options
    ErinG93ErinG93 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    The shoe thing is a good analogy, but I still think it's a bit of a slap in the face to your X. Yes, he was a diiick, which you've said before. 

It would hurt my feelings, that's all I said. I get that it's business, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't sting. 

Edit: And I didn't say you shouldn't have done that, because from a business side it DOES make sense. From the emotional side, it would suck. 
  • Options
    But, lots of people don't wear their engagement rings after they're married anyway.  Special just said that she sometimes just wears her wedding band.  Is that a slap in the face to her husband?
  • Options
    AATB, I don't think it's the same thing. Many women don't wear their e-rings to the gym. Maybe it was just the way Muni phrased it here, but it came across like, "His ring wasn't good enough for my employer." That's what I'm not so fond of.

I'm not saying she's wrong. I'm just saying I get where her xH was coming from, and I don't blame him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards