Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Good Morning -

1235»

Re: Good Morning -

• Options
    Stefffi, my mom used to do it, and H's SIL does it. I just figure I have enough going on now with quilting, knitting, crocheting, and sewing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-249?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d3d1f19a-6791-4e9d-b64f-1ba935996acaPost:178179b4-7f3d-4a79-9be9-58945f329c00">Re: Good Morning -</a>:
    [QUOTE]Morning ladies! I just woke up to an email from FMIL that after a conversation she had with FI, she's going to talk to her priest and have him take our wedding off his calendar and that we'll have to cancel the church and find a new venue for the ceremony because we're "doing it for the wrong reasons." WTF. I love Etsy, I'm going to be one of those weirdos who gets all sorts of wedding stuff on there, including one of those name hangers everyone said they hated so much, haha. ETA - Getting married in the church for the wrong reasons, not getting married in general.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

Wow your FMIL sounds like a peach.  How does she claim you are doing it that are such "wrong reasons"?
  • Options
    Angel, didn't you say yesterday that you didn't want to get married in the church anyway? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Angel, hold the phone. WHAT?!
  • Options
    Megan, I'm totally going to input the picture of my cat from last night and make a wall-sized portrait of him. H will be so pleased with my decorating.

Um, if you want to learn any of the crafts I do, we could meet up and teach each other. There can be drinking involved. 
  • Options
    Good morning!

I just got back from visiting my FIL's this weekend. I was on my way to work this morning when the car behind me hit the back of our car! We both pulled over and I was taking down her license, date, time, taking pictures and getting her insurance information. She said that she didn't even see any damage to my car so we should just not deal with the insurance companies, to this I offered to call the police so they could give us their opinion so she shut up and gave me her info.

Sigh, I feel so bad for The Cap (FI named the car after we bought it). This is the thrid incident someone has hit him and he's barely four months old. FI has him at the dealership though assessing the damage so everything will work out but this is not the best Tuesday morning I've ever had.
  • Options
    That sucks, Jordan. I'm glad you got her information. Sometimes it doesn't look like there's damage, but she could have busted a bumper support or something. That's what happened when H backed his work van into my car the day after our wedding.
  • Options
    angelstar975angelstar975 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Habs, I don't really, but FI does. It's very important to him to raise our children in the faith so that they have the option to practice when they're older. And since my parents did the same for us, I agree with that. While there are a lot of things I don't agree with the church on, I do want my children to be raised the way I was so they can make their own choices on it later. Most of the things I take issue with aren't things my kids are going to learn in CCD anyway.

Chels, I guess he told her that we were doing it because it was important to her, but that wasn't the only reason. But even if it was, that doesn't mean she should cancel the damn priest on us. We're adults, if we want to do that, we'll do it ourselves.

Rach, no, we haven't decided anything, and she doesn't even know that we were thinking of postponing, so this is totally out of left field to me, which I told her in my response back.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am going to waste so much time on regretsy, I just know it. 
  • Options
    I rear ended someone once, and it wasn't my fault.  It was a poor kid and her brother driving her dad's truck and she got off the highway, freaked out and slammed on her brakes on the off ramp.  I had just gotten off onto the off ramp and was still going 100km/h (speed limit on the hwy) and couldn't stop in time.  I hit their hitch receiver and it split my front end apart.  I didn't actually make contact with their truck, just the receiver.  So there was no damage done (thankfully, there was no ball).  I gave her my name and cell # and she drove off.  I had a huge bill that I paid out to fix it because I didn't want my insurance to go up.  Friggin people doing annoying stuff. 
  • Options
    Angel, colour me confused, but why do you have to get married in a church in order to give your children options as to whether or not they want that to be part of their life further on?  Your kids can't become followers if you don't get married in a church?
  • Options
    ML, is there an AW thread for you somewhere? I love the sig pic!! Beautiful!

Angel, I'm sorry your FMIL is being ridiculous.
  • Options
    I rearended someone once. I was on an icy exit ramp, so my options were to tap the Ford Explorer in front of me or to collide with a telephone pole. I chose the less painful option, and the woman made my life a living hell for three months, even though she only had a cracked bumper cover.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-249?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d3d1f19a-6791-4e9d-b64f-1ba935996acaPost:a88bf2df-ed67-47ec-abcb-0633b4e0db5e">Re: Good Morning -</a>:
    [QUOTE]Angel, colour me confused, but why do you have to get married in a church in order to give your children options as to whether or not they want that to be part of their life further on?  Your kids can't become followers if you don't get married in a church?
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]

No, obviously they could, but FI wants them to recieve all the sacraments as children. And I guess I'm more just cool with it moreso than I actually want them to, if that makes ense. But FI also just wants to get married in the church because he was raised in the church. I'm the non-religious one. If anything, we were getting married in the church for him. He's going through kind of a rough time and I guess he said to his mom yesterday that he's not sure there even is a God because why would God let people go through such terrible times, etc. and she took that as her cue to decide we shouldn't be married in the church and she should cancel the priest.
  • Options
    Angel, I don't get why your FMIL would take it upon herself to cancel the church. Isn't that something that should be left up to you? It would never cross my mind to actually cancel someone's wedding, regardless of how I felt about their choices.
  • Options
    okay, I get that... still weird, but I get that. 

Your FMIL is nuts. 
  • Options
    I completely agree with you Special. That's why I told FI to get over to the dealership to get it sorted out. And that really sucks Habs. I was in my friend's car back in high school. She used her Dad's old truck that had really bad brakes. Surprise surprise she rammed a guy while taking an exit ramp. Dad was furious with her for using his car. Mom was furious with Dad for allowing his truck to have bad brakes. Fortunately the other person was alright.
  • Options
    I'm assuming the priest didn't take her seriously at least?
  • Options
    Yeah, basically she's majorly overstepping. I'm just going to be annoyed if I have to find a new priest. Luckily, she has no affiliations to the church we're getting married in (we're bringing our own priest to a church close to the reception venue) so she didn't try to cancel that on us.

I've been lucky in that the car accidents I've been in thusfar were not my fault, so while it was a pain, I didn't have to worry about insurance going up, etc.
  • Options
    Angel, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it your FI's responsibility to call and schedule pre cana, etc?  Shouldn't she be giving HIM shiiiit about it, and not you?

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    GORGEOUS!! As always, loved the cake topper as well. Love. I'll check out the FB ones later. Thanks for the link and the compliment on my sig!
  • Options
    angelstar975angelstar975 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-morning-249?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d3d1f19a-6791-4e9d-b64f-1ba935996acaPost:041ab2c2-a4b1-44bc-95b3-36cfa410d93c">Re: Good Morning -</a>:
    [QUOTE]Angel, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it your FI's responsibility to call and schedule pre cana, etc?  Shouldn't she be giving HIM shiiiit about it, and not you?
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he is the one who's supposed to do that. The email was to both of us. It was just really out of left field. It's our decision where we get married and while I've definitely had my qualms about being married in the church, my issue is mainly that she took it upon herself to try to make that decision for us.

ETA- Midge, I have no idea what the priest said or whether she's even talked to him yet. I asked her not to, so we'll see. She has a very close relationship with the priest, he's at all their family parties, and she knows him better than we do, so he might take her seriously.
  • Options
    Midge, I just saw your AW thread here, but I went on a liking spree when the photos were going up on FB. I'm so glad you had a wonderful day and a great HM.

Megan, did you spend your whole HM at CP? Did you do other stuff in the area? We stayed on Kelleys for ours, and H was thrilled with the view of the Dragster.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Aw thanks Special. (P.S. Loved your card with the sweet note!) I'm afraid of the amount of notifications I'm going to have when I get back on tonight considering I just uploaded 800 something HM pictures last night. I downloaded some of the Disney Photopass pictures they didn't capture on my own camera and they're available now. I can't wait to put those up.

Especially this one:

I melted. (It might help to know that H originally wanted to do this but Disney is just a tad expensive.)
  • Options
    Angel, well I hope she listened to you and held off. I would think that any priest regardless of their relationship with an outside party would at least talk to the couple about their reasons for getting married in the church before cancelling on them.
  • Options
    Aryn - I'm sorry, that's a tough situation. I was a lot like your FI and somewhere along the way I finally managed to grow up and get my act together.

Angel - That's terrible of your MIL. I can't imagine why she would do something like that!

Wish I had a group of women up here to do needlecraft with and the time to enjoy it, again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards