Wedding Etiquette Forum

Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything

Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:51567666-7bb1-458e-b525-482a1841d4be">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is more of a confession, but... I'm really jealous of people who have relationships with their mothers. I see mine more as something I have to deal with than anything else. We were watching Pride & Prejudice last night (of course the Firth version, do you even need to ASK) and Mr. P commented that Mrs. Bennett reminds him of my mom. I said that's maybe why I'm not as amused by her.Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

((((hugs)))))
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:cc74c032-887a-472e-b2c5-f56632a77045">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything : I thought we were kinda set on names, but I'm questioning myself now.  We were thinking Isla for a girl and Miles for a boy.  I still loves Miles but I'm worried everyone will pronounce Isla wrong.
    Posted by RobotLegs[/QUOTE]

I love Isla and Miles! I wouldn't worry too much about mispronunciation. Most people will catch on after one correction. Coming from someone with a hard-to-pronounce name (at least,  it is pronounced differently than it is spelled) it's totally not a big deal. :)

Favorite movies: Elf, Willow and King Arthur.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a fairly good relationship with my mom, but I don't feel like I can tell her anything. I have to censor how I feel about things sometimes. I've only recently been learning how to tell her how I really feel about certain situations with my aunt.

We just don't talk about feelings in my family. It sucks, because I have a lot of them. I also can't talk about anything regarding the future because that =/= coming back to my hometown and she's still holding out hope that we're going to quit our jobs and move back soon.
  • Isla is a Scottish name, and it's super-popular in the UK and New Zealand.  It's pronounce Eye-la, the s is silent like in Island. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • BTW-- thank you for the kind words, everyone, :) It helps when you know that others go through similar things. Sometimes I feel like I was babied for so long even though I still consider myself to be an independent thinker---in the end though, I really just am a HUGE people pleaser, especially when it comes to family or friends.
  • I love the name Isla, but I love "I" names... especiall "Is" names :)
  • *HUGS* Manda.  And of course we knew it was the Colin Firth version *fans self*

I'm totally loving all you ladies who share my Harrison Ford/Han Solo penchant.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I"m jealous that FI can be blunt and tell his parents anything.

OMG I was scared poopless when I had to tell my mom I was going to live in sin.
  • Okay, here goes:

I love mayo, eggs on a salad and ketchup. In all truth I really like all sauces except spicy ones.

Roller coasters rule and I use to practically live at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in middle and high school.

My favorite drink is anything fruity where I can't really taste the alcohol just the yumminess.  I hate beer and wine.

I don't like the name Evelyn, but I'm partial to Elizabeth ;). I do love the NN Evie though, so cute!

My 3 favorite movies: Enchanted, 27 Dresses and The Devil Wears Prada. All superficial and mindless fun, but that's what movies are for, right?
  • Oh! Shaun of the Dead! OMG I LOVE that movie!

Isla is pronounced: Eye-la  It is Scottish. :)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:4985ade0-0d60-4dff-9127-0a5fc11f35c2">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything : I feel the same way, but about my dad. I mean, I love him a lot, and he and I don't really fight, exactly. But we just never have been super close and I get jealous of people who are "Daddy's girls" and stuff. I mean, he is gonna walk me down the aisle because apparently that is important to him---but in general since I became a teenager and afterward, we haven't been super close. <strong>Which is funny, because we actually are way more alike than my mom and I are.
    </strong>Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

Tis the reason you guys might not be that close.

My dad got sick when I was in the 8th grade, but we were never close before that. My mom says it's because we were so much alike that we just couldn't work anything out. (((hugs)))
  • Kiki- Wow, that's beautiful! I'm sure after one correction people would catch on.

Cfas- There are no words to describe what a massive Disney fan I am. It's ridiculous. My second tattoo that I plan on getting is a Disney-related one. I'm obsessive. I knew I like you for a reason!! <3
  • I might have to steal the name Isla for my fictitious daughter.

::plots::
  • I do feel sad for women who aren't close to their mothers :(  It's such a nice support to have and I can't imagine what my life would be like without my mom.  She was going to bring a PB&J to my work yesterday because she was worried I wasn't eating enough!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:b53e3ae0-1882-4fa9-9688-e9e1c77fe578">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]I"m jealous that FI can be blunt and tell his parents anything. OMG I was scared poopless when I had to tell my mom I was going to live in sin.
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

J has more issues telling his parents stuff like that. Usually I'm the one who just tells my parents whatever. Well more my mom than my dad, I guess. But his family is more traditional in the 'living together' type stuff, etc. Last year, when I lived at home for my final year of college, they didn't care that he stayed in my room on the weekends. But at his parents house, we have to sleep in separate rooms.
  • Cfas, I don't know where that one is. I tend to stick to my little corner of the far west end. I feel safe out here.

• I think after a correction or two people will catch on, Kiki.

H and I really want to use the name "Saoirse" for a girl as a middle name (not a first name).  It's pronounced SEER-sha, and I love it.  I know we're going to get some side-eye from our families though, when and if the time comes.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:0e57ce1b-aa9d-4435-acff-d4996882c229">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh! Shaun of the Dead! OMG I LOVE that movie! <strong>Isla is pronounced: Eye-la</strong>  It is Scottish. :)
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. That would get messed up on a daily basis. She will either fall in love with it cause of the uniqueness or hate that she was cursed with a name that people don't know how to pronounce.

Good Luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:d6eae1be-8a00-45cc-bd0b-bac8d9186380">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do feel sad for women who aren't close to their mothers :(  It's such a nice support to have and I can't imagine what my life would be like without my mom.  She was going to bring a PB&J to my work yesterday because she was worried I wasn't eating enough!
    Posted by RobotLegs[/QUOTE]

Haha my mom does stuff like that too. I get worried that i won't be as good of a mom to a daughter as my mom has been to me. I feel like I will try too hard to be the "Friend" or something. I feel like gaining the balance of being a mom and a friend is so hard, and I have no idea how my mom did it and made it work. I'll have to ask her before I have a daughter. ;)
  • ::goes to sit on the Giant Dorky Disney Fan bench::  I'm pretty sure I qualify for this bench because one of my conditions for starting TTC was that I got one last child-less Disney trip. It. Was. Awesome! And now we're talking about having grandma come babysit for a week in a couple of years so we can go alone again.

Bubba, I can pretty much quote Shaun of the Dead from beginning to end.
  • For Cfas, Hlq, Mixtape, and others:

• I have weird relationship with my mother. I love her and I love spending time with her, but you can't tell her anything. She can't keep a secret or personal information to herself. She also tends to just say things without thinking. Not to mention that she also has yet to pronounce my last name correctly.

Now all that sounds horrible, but I do love to see her and I know it's just her inability to understand what everyone thinks. She thinks she being nice and it just doesn't come across at all. I had a blast planning my wedding with her though!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:9c085101-7ea0-419c-a13b-1c77b004e968">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think after a correction or two people will catch on, Kiki. H and I really want to use the name "<strong>Saoirse</strong>" for a girl as a middle name (not a first name).  It's pronounced SEER-sha, and I love it.  I know we're going to get some side-eye from our families though, when and if the time comes.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

May I ask why you are considering this name and if you are familiar with the political connotations of it?
  • Cfas, OMG! It appears I can download Dark Empire to my android and listen as an audio book.  That may make my commutes far more bearable. Or I could just order it the old-fashioned way, but that would mean waiting...
  • I wanna answer questions but I am being dead lazy.

I like mayo.

I can recite the words to Clueless and Drop Dead Gorgeous, thus they are my favorite movies

When we have children (if rather) and its a boy his name will be Domenick Charles and if we have a girl Anna Leigh.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:bd373bbe-778f-4ccb-85a5-195ada0085f7">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything : May I ask why you are considering this name and if you are familiar with the political connotations of it?
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]

You may?  We like the pronunciation and the Gaelic translation (according to the internet, "freedom"), and the way it sounds with the first name we picked out.  I wasn't aware of political connotations to it.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:36a18ded-ab41-4702-a927-4f641f2b2681">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kiki- Wow, that's beautiful! I'm sure after one correction people would catch on. Cfas- <strong>There are no words to describe what a massive Disney fan I am.</strong> It's ridiculous. My second tattoo that I plan on getting is a Disney-related one. I'm obsessive. I knew I like you for a reason!! <3
    Posted by mixtapehearts[/QUOTE]

I so wanted a Disney themed wedding but at 35, my mom thought I was a little to old. I love Everything Disney and always will.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:42deae6c-abac-433a-b03a-f100c564911c">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]Missy -- You are a horror movie fan? I liked the original Halloween, though I kept wondering why that girl took off her pants. I mean, I wasn't big for getting nekkid when I was babysitting. Bay -- I just had a moment. Thank you for that Harrison Ford image. Le sigh.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

Lord yes. I rarely bother to save my Netflix movies to John to watch - he won't like any of them. He of course thinks Halloween 3 is the stupidest thing ever (well, duh), but does like some of what I pick out. Usually, he'll go see the scifi (Avatar, etc) with his nephew or friend, and I'll go see a new horror film that I know he won't want to see (like Piranha in 3D - which was campy good BTW) when he's doing something else.
    And yeah - I didn't get the take off the pants - ESPECIALLY the wander around the neighborhood in only a shirt. But see? That's why she met her doom.
    Did you know the girl she was babysitting was a) one of the RH of Beverly Hills, and b) Paris Hilton's aunt?
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stealing-sb-ask-knottie-anything?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d77f1710-40b0-43a0-aead-60ea684ab642Post:43bbce84-0e80-41ae-996c-a9ec5a795a78">Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stealing from SB- Ask a Knottie Anything : Oh yeah. That would get messed up on a daily basis. She will either fall in love with it cause of the uniqueness or hate that she was cursed with a name that people don't know how to pronounce. Good Luck!
    Posted by scottswife1106[/QUOTE]

You're kind of being a wet blanket here.
  • Baystate - mmmm. The drawl in his tone as he talks to Luke and Ben... *love*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards