Wedding Etiquette Forum

Night Thread

Re: Night Thread

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dc093487-0318-4c3b-a8b6-a661e3cd4c52Post:0e5b40fb-8cdf-4692-8875-8455c74117c8">Re: Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Leisel, I tend to play devil's advocate IRL with my friends, even if I get their point of view on a situation. 
    Posted by ArynBaker[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I like it too, and I've actually learned things by playing devil's advocate. Sometimes it ends up expanding my viewpoint.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Besides, I can respect a person for having an opposing POV...but only if they can argue it in a cogent manner. If someone resorts to hyperbole, you've lost me, but give me compelling evidence, then I will consider it.  I may not be persuaded, but I can consider and respect it.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dc093487-0318-4c3b-a8b6-a661e3cd4c52Post:02f651d8-eb96-4b32-aa5c-971a21ca60c9">Re: Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Feeling too strongly about issues doesn't stop me! I can usually see both sides though (even though I usually think the other side is wrong).  For one of my college classes, our prof had us pick an issue and a side to present a position paper on.  When we met with him to tell him our topic and side, he told us we had to write on the OTHER side.  I did surprisingly well, and enjoyed the assignment.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ooh, I would have loved an assignment like that. In my high school history class we were assigned to either side of a debate on slavery in the US and I had to argue on behalf of the insitution of slavery. Obviously, I completely disagree with everything I had to say for that debate, but it's fun arguing for something you're completely against, if that makes sense. 

</div>
  • Don't worry Leisel you will get plenty of practice with it in law school, ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dc093487-0318-4c3b-a8b6-a661e3cd4c52Post:b4edcafb-619f-4309-bf15-3c61b4af4a54">Re: Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Night Thread : I like it too, and I've actually learned things by playing devil's advocate. Sometimes it ends up expanding my viewpoint.   Besides, I can respect a person for having an opposing POV...but only if they can argue it in a cogent manner. If someone resorts to hyperbole, you've lost me, but give me compelling evidence, then I will consider it.  I may not be persuaded, but I can consider and respect it.
    Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Saaame here. I hate empty arguments. 

</div>
  • Nooo MuSu I meant there were other opinions but people not understand the law....overroad the convo. I can't argue with stupid. 

Lizzie no pic of the placemat. It's terribly uneven and not finished! My mother is a brilliant quilter so it's a shame I suck. I'm decent at knitting. Hoping to take some sewing classes soon, as I found a local shop today!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dc093487-0318-4c3b-a8b6-a661e3cd4c52Post:c01dfebc-6de5-4a4a-97c4-8b9c914f2094">Re: Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nooo MuSu I meant there were other opinions but people not understand the law....overroad the convo. I can't argue with stupid.  Lizzie no pic of the placemat. It's terribly uneven and not finished! My mother is a brilliant quilter so it's a shame I suck. I'm decent at knitting. Hoping to take some sewing classes soon, as I found a local shop today!
    Posted by Megbo2012[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You can knit placemats...just FYI.  I have a set that my mom did. I really need to get them out of storage.

</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dc093487-0318-4c3b-a8b6-a661e3cd4c52Post:b4edcafb-619f-4309-bf15-3c61b4af4a54">Re: Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Night Thread : I like it too, and I've actually learned things by playing devil's advocate. Sometimes it ends up expanding my viewpoint.   Besides, I can respect a person for having an opposing POV...but only if they can argue it in a cogent manner. If someone resorts to hyperbole, you've lost me, but give me compelling evidence, then I will consider it.  I may not be persuaded, but I can consider and respect it.
    Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]

Yes.  I don't even mind when people have asshole opinions.  As long as they can logically argue their side (or at the very least admit the REAL asshole reason they support it.  I give a lot of respect for honesty like that) then I'm ok.  But when people spout off ignorant garbage or start comparing apples to oranges then I'm done having an adult discussion with them.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dc093487-0318-4c3b-a8b6-a661e3cd4c52Post:b50b69b2-1ef2-46ed-a97a-6ff0eb517512">Re: Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Night Thread : You can knit placemats...just FYI.  I have a set that my mom did. I really need to get them out of storage.
    Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]

<div>This is going to make me sound snobby...maybe. But I don't do pot holders or throws or anything like that. Just socks, sweaters, and hats. Usually with a pattern or fair isle. I can't knit knit knit for that long KWIM?</div><div>
    </div><div>The place mats will get done, it works so it's fine! </div>
  • That is one reason I tend to stay out of debates on TK for the most part. I hate when I've read a statistic or study somewhere but can't find the source material to back myself up or don't quite remember the point said source made. So usually I don't contribute. But I do have opinions :)
  • LizzieyounceLizzieyounce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dc093487-0318-4c3b-a8b6-a661e3cd4c52Post:5a5cd4cb-614b-4e0c-9637-fe581ef2514b">Re: Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Night Thread : This is going to make me sound snobby...maybe. But I don't do pot holders or throws or anything like that. Just socks, sweaters, and hats. Usually with a pattern or fair isle. I can't knit knit knit for that long KWIM? The place mats will get done, it works so it's fine! 
    Posted by Megbo2012[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You don't sound snobby at all. I can't even knit!  I wish I had the talent and the patience. 

</div>
  • Not to change the subject...well, ok, I'm changing the subject...has anyone read The Godfather and seen the movies?  What did you think? Did you prefer the book or the movie?

I loved Godfather I and II...three was a waste of celluloid, IMO.  The novel was awesome.
  • I haven't read the books but I did enjoy the movies, Lizzie. I don't remember the 3rd much.
  • Unrelated to anything, I want ice cream really badly, but I'm currently too lazy to walk the 20 feet to the kitchen and get some.

THIS IS WHY I NEED DH HERE, DAMMIT. ;)
  • I didn't read the Godfather books, but I have seen all 3 movies.  I enjoyed the first two, but not so much the third.  
  • Lizzie, I enjoyed the books much better. The movies got... tiresome.
  • Good evening! I saw the first godfather movie in the theater for the first time. It was a special showing at the Berlin Film Festival. An awesome experience.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have never seen, nor do I plan to see a Godfather movie.
  • Mob movies are genereally too violent for me, so I've never seen any of them. I haven't read the books either.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lizzie, I've read the first Godfather and loved it, have only seen bits of the movie.  But, I just got H the trilogy on his birthday (Godfather was Best Picture in 1972) so I'm sure I'll see them all soon.  He's actually watching a special on it now. 

Holly, dogs are weird.  My blind female dog tries to hump our female cat all the time.  And my male prefers the garden hose.  I try not to laugh but I can't help it. 

Oh, and my BF and I are making homemade ice cream this Sunday.  I can't wait!
  • edited July 2012
    Evening ladies!

I've seen the Godfather movies but never read the books.  In general though, I find the book is almost always better than the movie.
  • I'm nor into the violence thing in movies either, but getting to see an American classic like that on the big screen WA an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Usually when I go to a scary/violent film I bring a blanket. I play it up as the theater is so cold I need it, but really it is because I am a big scaredy cat.
  • Calix, I'm sure you know this, but your sig is freakin' huge.
  • Calixtine, your picture is lovely, but ginormous!

• I am posting as a test because I can't load the last page on tk mobile.
  • What is a DINK?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dc093487-0318-4c3b-a8b6-a661e3cd4c52Post:a3149fb3-4985-4a16-a7bc-3edeffed2ce1">Re: Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is a DINK?
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You're a dink! Dual income no kids.

</div>
  • Nicki, that's so cute. I stick with the old fashioned covering of my eyes.  I am afraid to watch The Godfather in it's entirety because of the horse head scene, so that may be the perfect time for me to take a smoke break. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dc093487-0318-4c3b-a8b6-a661e3cd4c52Post:91ef4a98-d78b-4acd-9928-f9948edead52">Re: Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lizzie, I've read the first Godfather and loved it, have only seen bits of the movie.  But, I just got H the trilogy on his birthday (Godfather was Best Picture in 1972) so I'm sure I'll see them all soon.  <strong>He's actually watching a special on it now.</strong>  Holly, dogs are weird.  My blind female dog tries to hump our female cat all the time.  And my male prefers the garden hose.  I try not to laugh but I can't help it.  Oh, and my BF and I are making homemade ice cream this Sunday.  I can't wait!
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>So am I. This is what made me bring the topic up.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_night-thread-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:dc093487-0318-4c3b-a8b6-a661e3cd4c52Post:8c0c3b50-e7f0-4615-8485-bbf169dd7329">Re: Night Thread</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Night Thread : You're a dink! Dual income no kids.
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

I AM  a DINK.  I'd never heard that acronym before.  Huh.

• Yeah, I was having some resizing issues.  It looks like I fixed it so hopefully my giant face is not the first thing everyone sees now.

Harry-what does DINK stand for?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards