FFF

1101112131416»

Re: FFF

• Making tea is dangerous, y'all.

I take vitamin D supplements. 
  • J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    And Oprah is just as fucking crazy as they are.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • LDY, I'll hit you, too.

How long did you have an itchy crack?
  • Itchy cracks are typically a one day thing. But it happened a lot. Because, ya know, sweat and stuff - and burn. Tanning beds are evil. I got sucked in once, then my boss bought me a month of tanning b/c I was too pale (yes, i know), but now I hang outside for about 30 minutes when I get home and read and that's all the sunshine I need.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:75c63352-7033-4bd5-a3a9-b08f6cb51a8a">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Windows only block one type of UV ray, and both types can spur vitamin D production. I think it makes more sense to get more vitamin D through supplements or diet rather than by tanning.  I guess I misread your post then. I know you said you take supplements, but I read it as though you suggested tanning was a better solution. 
    Posted by LeiselEB[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I guess one of us is wrong (I'm not saying it's you, I honestly don't know, I'm not an expert in this stuff) because everything I have read has indicated that you can not synthesize vitamin d from light that has passed through glass. And it is nearly impossible to get enough from diet alone, you would have to drink gallons of milk a day to do it. </div><div>
    </div><div>I don't think everyone should tan with abandon, I certainly don't do it, but I think that there has been such a backlash against getting any sun, ever, in the last thirty years and almost no one has stopped to think about what the consequences of that would be. And now everyone is vitamin d deficient, I don't think that's a coincidence. We don't really know the long term effects of using sunscreen all the time either, people haven't been doing it that long. It might be NBD, but who knows. Oh course people who are prone to skin cancer should take all measures possible to avoid it, but I don't think the problem is that black and white. 

</div>
    Photobucket
  • My doctor told me that you need UVB rays for vitamin D and they don't travel through glass well.  But also that 5 minutes a day of sun on an area the size of the back of your hand is enough.  (Depending on the time of year--more time in the winter.)  So there's another hat in the ring.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • I had sun poisoning at 12. I was young and just forgot sunscreen. On FL vacation. I have permanent freckle scars, and puked for days. A shower even hurt. I am now from the camp that tanning is really really stupid. Laying in the sun at the beach a few times a year with protection fine. Fake baking no. Some people do comment on my pale ness, and I simply retort "Sorry, I don't agree with your opinion of my body image. I am a woman of classical beauty and believe pale is beautiful."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Nicki is sun poisoning similar to heat stroke?
    panther
  • No, heat stroke I think is different. The day before our wedding was the hottest day EVER RECORDED IN CT HISTORY. So of course, we set up the barn for the wedding. I started to get heat stroke, light headed, then dry heaving. Puking came about 20 minutes later. As soon as I was in the AC I was fine. Heat stroke happens from dehydration. Or starting to drink water after ts already too late. Oh, my tongue started to swell too. But, again, I felt better almost instantly. Sun poisoning took a whole week to recover from. This makes me sound like I'm an idiot, but I promise, both incidents I was blindsided from an totally learned my lesson.
  • Ah okay.  I'd never heard of sun poisoning before!  You learn something new every day :)
    panther
  • DJ, for our wedding we started the drinking Gatorade for breakfast, then water constantly all day. No one got sick, as I had showed everyone what the warning signs were the day before! I hate being cold, and would take too hot any day, but my track record with the sun isn't so hot. Yeah, I went there, YWIA.
  • I have vitamin D deficiency.... in addition to supplements my doctor told me to spend 15 mins a day outside in the sun.  She also indicated that it doesn't work through glass.

• Since our church air conditioning was broken (on July 30, in southern Ohio), I sat with a fan up my dress between pictures and the ceremony. My father was terribly embarrassed.
  • Special, that cracks me up. 

We really lucked out and had like mid-80 temps for our wedding (April of 2011).  Same day this April was 102 degrees.  I would have had a fan up my dress too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:55a09ba6-68dd-45a5-b7e0-ec1147bd8fec">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Our date will be such a crapshoot. It could be 40 degrees on the first weekend of June or it could be 90. Or it could be like today and be gorgeous all day while I'm stuck inside at work with no windows and then the skies can open up in the evening.
    Posted by MeganLindsay5685[/QUOTE]

<div>I remember when my family came out for my brother's graduation from undergrad. It was the first week or two of June, and both the temperature and humidity were about 95. It was awful.</div><div>
    </div><div>I sincerely hope you day is not sweltering. Drink lots of water (but pee before you put on the dress).</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fff-92?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f35d47d4-2530-4f84-acc1-f7c92d62677bPost:8d5e81aa-8fa8-4b81-9325-bc2807b4c1d7">Re: FFF</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FFF : Most cases it's either, actually. eg stands for "for example." In Latin, obviously.
    Posted by thurmanpowell[/QUOTE]
    No, i.e. and e.g. are not interchangeable.  In most cases either one or the other is the proper word to use, not either.  Unless the list of environmental factors you gave was meant to be the entire list of possible environmental factors, e.g. was the proper choice, not i.e.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards