New Jersey

style me pretty- little black book

Are the vendors they refer on this really very good vendors? I know it says they hand select them, but wasnt sure how much is still just advertising $ and how much of that was true? Thanks!

Re: style me pretty- little black book

• Deener713Deener713 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They pay to be in the black book. My friend does invites.
    It doesn't mean they aren't good though
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Having seen who is on the list (versus who pays to be on a lot of other lists that will take anyone who pays), I think it has to be very selective.

That isn't to say that there aren't vendors who aren't on the list aren't as good, but I think you can trust that list a lot more than most.
  • edited December 2011
    I think (and this is all speculation on my part) that it's a combination of the vendor paying them and the vendor's style fitting in with SMP's style.  They're not going to take advertising $$ from a gaudy over-the-top floral designer, KWIM?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • inkulio73inkulio73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a vetting process.  You have to either request to be added or be invited.  Just because you ask, doesn't mean they'll just happily take your money.

Like someone mentioned, there is a peer review process.  If you suck, you're not likely to be asked to join.  There's also a limit to the number of vendors per category per location.

How do I know?  Because I had to go through all of that when I got listed.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was curious so I looked it up. Here's info from their website:

How do you choose the vendors for your Little Black Book?

The process to become a Little Black Book member is actually quite extensive.

First, they need to have been recommended by an SMP reader, a recent bride or an industry professional. We don’t simply look for a referral but rather for a passionate reason as to why a particular vendor deserves to be in the book. Perhaps the designer worked with a reader’s best friend when she was getting married, perhaps they have already designed the world’s most beautiful invitations for a particular bride and groom, perhaps an event planner that we know shares with us the one photographer that she will work with. Whatever the connection, it must be strong and based on a real knowledge of the vendor’s work. We do accept applications, as well. Click here to read more about our process and start your application.

Second, we dive head first into the vendor’s business. Their portfolio, their experience, their time in the industry. We look at press that they’ve received, we chat with their industry neighbors, we get to know who they are and why they are good at what they do. We spend hours on the phone with each vendor, getting to know them, figuring out if they are honest, have a high level of integrity and are truly devoted to their craft. For highly competitive industries, like photography, we also have vetting teams. An unbiased group of style savvy vendors who can fairly, objectively, and accurately evaluate other’s work.

And finally, after feeling completely confident that a particular vendor is fabulous, we invite them to be a part of our book! It’s an invitation only book that truly prides itself on it’s commitment to quality above all else.

Do the vendors pay to be listed?

If a vendor is accepted into our book, they will pay a small monthly fee to be listed. We have intentionally set our prices very low, so that small and large businesses alike, could easily be a part of our Book. The money that is generated in no way effects the vendors that are chosen to list. If we aren’t happy with the quality of vendors for a particular category, we will happily leave that spot empty until we find someone that meets our standards. The Little Black Book is a hugely unique advertising vehicle that brings the best artists and designers into the hands of style savvy brides.

More info here: http://www.stylemepretty.com/little-black-book-faq/

I wonder if the process has changed recently?  My photographer is no longer in the Little Black Book (and they're featured on SMP all the time and Abby says very nice things).  Wonder why they decided to stop being listed?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards