Nevada-Las Vegas

Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine

Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine

• aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your tone throughout these emails was just as caustic and unfriendly as it is in your responses here, and I can see why he was put off by it, especially when you said you were laughing at his policies.  Really?  You think that was professional?

And you didn't ask if the deposit was refundable.  That's one of those basic things you should be prepared to ask any wedding vendor, it's on pretty much every list of suggested questions.  I don't really think it's fair for you to give a business a bad review because you didn't do the research and handled yourself poorly.  I found Scott very flexible and helpful to work with (as I said in my PP, he made a lot of concessions for us), probably because I didn't come out guns blazing telling him that his established policies--which seem to work pretty well given how much business they get--were ridiculous.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited December 2011
    I am jumping in here a bit late, but as someone who booked Masterpiece "blindly" I guess I fall in the category of people who are silly. I booked Masterpiece due to the fact they have exceptional reviews. We are having a small wedding and for the price he can not be beat. When we got engaged the first thing I did was go online and research Vegas weddings. Scott was the first company that came up. He has been so easy to work with. I have added the bar service, the martini bar, and changed the menu a few times and he usually responds to me within a day. He has never been rude or ignorant in any email. He is hardly condescending. I guess when you know you want an in suite reception you have no problem with booking someone to do the catering. I looked into many restaurants on the strip, but frankly I prefer the intimacy of an in suite reception. Masterpiece cuisine has been the easiest to work with aside from my photographers! Ditto aerin. If you are having a hard time booking things blindly a DW is probably not for you. I am fortunate that we travel pretty frequently and go to Vegas a few times a year, but for most brides that isn't the case. A lot of booking DW is blind faith. I can see where everyone is coming from. I know a lot of my vendors would not tolerate me asking for information and dropping contact. That is just not how things go. Good luck to you in whatever you decide!
  • smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Call me what you want but when I see that type of word choice in an email, as a business manager, I would be less likely to think you serious and MORE likely to think that you may be flighty and high maintenance.

I work in an industry where it is common to try to quote a project based on some rough requirements.  However, if the business unit wishes to change their original scope then we may require a retainer to keep doing the work.  Every hour spent scoping a project that may not go through is dollars walking out of the business.  It is not unheard of to ask for a retainer to do more work for you.  If they didn't tell you it was refundalbe you should have asked about the policy.

How are they to know that you won't email back in 15 days with a new scope and new request?  Then 15 days after that you call another catering company and book with them so all of the work was for nought. 

Again, it is their policy.  If you don't like it, you have every right to move on.  I have to buy a cake through my venue or pay a $5.50 per head fee.  Do I like that?  No.  However, it's their policy so I have acknowledged and moved on.  It is one thing to come in and complain about a policy change but it is quite another to go on and on about a policy.  It is what it is.  Acknowledge and move on...either to another catering company or another venue.  Calling a policy bad customer service is a little silly.

Oh, and I don't need an excuse to be a b!tch.  I was born that way.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• edited December 2011
    Simply put, 99% of these brides book everything blindly. It is a destination wedding, and that is your choice to have that. Some girls are able to do scouting trips and what-not, but many cannot, they have to rely on reviews and gut feelings. And most of the time, we do not have bad reviews on this board. (mostly)

If you book a hotel, do you have to go see it before you sleep there? If you go to a restaurant, do you have to taste before you decide to have dinner there?

Some things we just do as a part of life. Also, just to let you know, this is the first bad review I have ever seen with Masterpiece. When we were considering them, Scott was very nice. Yes, you are entitled to your own opinion, and so is everyone else, and the general consensus on this board is Masterpiece is consistently good.
  • MrsPennstdocMrsPennstdoc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for your post Joe the plumber :) - I love small business owners, I think they are the foundation of our great nation. The price was $16 a head, for 60 people. That included food only, no service, and no delivery. I think it's a good price, and I certainly was not asking him for a price of $10 a head, but thanks for fabricating that in your post. I was asking why his price was $150 for the tasting only because I have had other businesses who had provided tasting for free. It wasn't me scoffing at it, simply ignorant to why it was so expensive. He even agreed that it was extremely expensive. After that, I VALIDATED his reasoning for the steep price, as you can see in my email. As for "customers like me" being a waste of your time: Customers like me, cheap or not are what keep your business alive. If you were to try and cherry pick your customers based on their budget, you would not have a successful business. I never said I wanted it to be cheap, I simply wanted to know what the revised quote was for the increased number of people, and the menu change.
  • edited December 2011
    We booked every single vendor going in blind, no taste testing, didn't see the chapel, reception suite, anything until the day of the wedding. I booked MC and all of my other vendors because of all the rave reviews about them on here. I had no problem putting down the deposit because I was confident from everyone else's reviews. I loved Masterpiece Cuisine, found them extremely easy to work with, very reasonable priced, and would recommend them to anyone. HTH future brides : )
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:a3b77688-cadd-43b8-bff9-9f251ac46d43">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for your post Joe the plumber :) - I love small business owners, I think they are the foundation of our great nation. The price was $16 a head, for 60 people. That included food only, no service, and no delivery. I think it's a good price, and I certainly was not asking him for a price of $10 a head, but thanks for fabricating that in your post. I was asking why his price was $150 for the tasting only because I have had other businesses who had provided tasting for free. It wasn't me scoffing at it, simply ignorant to why it was so expensive. He even agreed that it was extremely expensive. After that, I VALIDATED his reasoning for the steep price, as you can see in my email. As for "customers like me" being a waste of your time: <strong>Customers like me, cheap or not are what keep your business alive</strong>. If you were to try and cherry pick your customers based on their budget, you would not have a successful business. I never said I wanted it to be cheap, I simply wanted to know what the revised quote was for the increased number of people, and the menu change.
    Posted by MrsPennstdoc[/QUOTE]

No, customers like you who post 'beware of...' because the vendor simply held you to the same policies he holds every cutstomer to are more than a waste of time, you're a threat to his business.   You are entitled to your opinion but I highly doubt anyone will heed your 'beware of mc', as PP said because of your tone and unprofessionalism in the emails.  You did tell him you found his policies and rates laughable.  I believe that qualifies as scoffing.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:a3b77688-cadd-43b8-bff9-9f251ac46d43">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for your post Joe the plumber :) - I love small business owners, I think they are the foundation of our great nation. The price was $16 a head, for 60 people. That included food only, no service, and no delivery. I think it's a good price, and I certainly was not asking him for a price of $10 a head, but thanks for fabricating that in your post. I was asking why his price was $150 for the tasting only because I have had other businesses who had provided tasting for free. It wasn't me scoffing at it, simply ignorant to why it was so expensive. He even agreed that it was extremely expensive. After that, I VALIDATED his reasoning for the steep price, as you can see in my email. As for "customers like me" being a waste of your time: Customers like me, cheap or not are what keep your business alive. If you were to try and cherry pick your customers based on their budget, you would not have a successful business. I never said I wanted it to be cheap, <strong>I simply wanted to know what the revised quote was for the increased number of people, and the menu change.
    </strong>Posted by MrsPennstdoc[/QUOTE]

But see here this I think is where everyone is differing. I have changed my mind so many times and wasted so much of my coordinators time, I am surprised she has not asked me to pay in full. I think by them actually getting a commitment from you is not such a terrible thing, as they get nothing out of you if you waste hours of their time and change your mind. I think by their quote you should be able to determine whether they are the direction that you want to go or not, like you said, about $16 a head, and that will probably go down as your list goes up. There is only so much that business owners can do for free.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:a3b77688-cadd-43b8-bff9-9f251ac46d43">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for your post Joe the plumber :) - I love small business owners, I think they are the foundation of our great nation. The price was $16 a head, for 60 people. That included food only, no service, and no delivery. I think it's a good price, and I certainly was not asking him for a price of $10 a head, but thanks for fabricating that in your post. I was asking why his price was $150 for the tasting only because I have had other businesses who had provided tasting for free. It wasn't me scoffing at it, simply ignorant to why it was so expensive. He even agreed that it was extremely expensive. After that, I VALIDATED his reasoning for the steep price, as you can see in my email. As for "customers like me" being a waste of your time: Customers like me, cheap or not are what keep your business alive. If you were to try and cherry pick your customers based on their budget, you would not have a successful business. I never said I wanted it to be cheap, I simply wanted to know what the revised quote was for the increased number of people, and the menu change.

You stated your budget was $1000 by saying $150 was 15% of your budget.  Perhaps you should have informed him your budget had increased along with the head count, in which case you should have been even less opposed to the fee for setting up a private tasting.  Basically you wanted him to take a loss by wasting more time on you and when he politely suggested he was not a good fit for your requiements, you came here and crucified him.  So yes, as aegrish said, customers like you are a harm to small business, not a help; you took a simple disagreement that cost you nothing more than a small amount of your time and took it out on the vendor in a public forum that that vendor likely gets a lot of business from.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• jccswljccswl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:8ff3266b-5841-4156-80d9-b8026a79ada1">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine : No, customers like you who post 'beware of...' because the vendor simply held you to the same policies he holds every cutstomer to are more than a waste of time, you're a threat to his business.   You are entitled to your opinion but I highly doubt anyone will heed your 'beware of mc', as PP said because of your tone and unprofessionalism in the emails.  You did tell him you found his policies and rates laughable.  I believe that qualifies as scoffing.
    Posted by aegrish[/QUOTE]

This.

I think you could've actually helped other brides by just stating to cautious of ALL vendor policies. And use MC as an example to ask questions about deposits, and quotes. All brides here are on the same side, it's good that we all question and make us think of how to approach situations like this, so there's no need to be so defensive.
  • smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    By the way, a tasting at my venue is $250 plus the cost of each meal, appetizer, etc. that we want to try.  $150 is not that far off when it comes to time and effort to put something like that together.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:f8f1f08a-e475-4e55-9db8-ab65d82faf3e">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine
    No way do I see your irratic emails as a 'testiment' to the quality of Masterpiece's catering. <strong> I think they are prolly lucky you chose not to go with them.
    </strong>Posted by aegrish[/QUOTE]

That's quite a mean spirited thing to say.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lsvenssonlsvensson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks to OP for posting the original emails-- as someone who is considering MC for my Meet & Greet, I thought it was helpful.  My two cents:

• Tasting fee= fine.  Like he said, you could potentially not book and he would have lost $ preparing a tasting meal for you.  Multiply that $ by every customer throughout the year that tastes but doesn't book, and you're losing money hand over fist as a business owner. 

• $500 deposit to reserve a date= fine.  That said, you weren't asking him to reserve anything and I think there was just a communication breakdown there.  Happens all the time in business, particularly over email, no bigs.

• $500 to revise a quote= not okay, and while it's annoying from a consumer perspective, they're only hurting themselves by not doing this for you.  As a customer, if you don't have a semi-accurate idea of what it's going to cost you to put on an event, you'd never book with a vendor-- that's a no-brainer. Guest counts change.  If, as a business, you refuse to accommodate these requests and give customers a ballpark figure of what your services are going to cost, you can't acquire any customers.  I think there might have been a tone issue in the email (OP got a bit snippy over e-mail with the "I can't help but laugh" wording, which might have turned MC off), but that's what it comes down to, in my opinion.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, I do not go see the hotel before booking them, or taste the menu of a restaurant before eating there, but that is a terrible metaphor. This is a WEDDING. This is one of the important days in a woman's life. DW, whether you think it's for me or not, is what will happen, so please, no more comments on how "it isn't for me."  Brides who show confidence in just reviews and feel no reason, or may not have the money to travel for an extra trip to review vendors are taking a chance. I plan, and have no problems going out before to review and do taste tests. I like to know why and where every detail of every charge is going. I like to know exactly what my guests will be eating, and exactly what the atmosphere of the venue will be like. That is my prerogative - some call it obsessive compulsive, I call it good sense planning. I am not trying to say that brides who plan without seeing anything ahead of time are bad or "silly" people. I am saying it is not the way I do things.

I will try to make this my last post, since from the very beginning, the lovely brides (and groom) of the knot put me on the defense making me explain and defend my reasons for posting a beware to couples who are choosing to consider them. Whether people "take my beware" or not is up to them. I am not crucifying anyone, I am stating my opinion. Interpreted in some eyes, my tone or words might be hasty - but if you start off being rude to me, my initial response is defense. As it is with most people.

My reasoning for posting a beware is clear: For the simple fact that he out of the blue required a 50% deposit to revise a quote. Policy? Maybe. Trying to get rid of me as a potential client? Maybe. Condescending? Maybe.

If this were the fifth time coming at him asking him for a revised proposal, I could understand. But a second time? That's just laziness. Again, in my opinion.

The fact that he did not tell me that the deposit was refundable, (which by the way has never been confirmed by him directly) was his mistake.  Did I ask? No, I did not. Is this my first and only wedding? Yes it is. I did not ask, because this is my first time planning an event - especially one as important as this. I would think that it would be the company's job to provide such information. Had I been told by him, that this was his policy, I would have had no problem showing a good faith "I'm not jerking you around" deposit. Slandering me because of my ignorance on "the right questions to ask" is poor judgement.

I do not think $150 is unfair for a tasting for a company that is strictly catering. I do not think $250 is unfair. Especially since the $150 includes up to 4 people. I had 7 previous quotes for catering and ALL of them said it was free. I would have been happy to pay it, my reasonings for questioning the price were only because I did not have any prior knowledge of a price for a tasting, not because I'm cheap.

As I have said before, it is my right to state my opinion and clear unhappiness towards my contact with this company. It has since then turned into a board of bridezillas (with a couple exceptions) who clearly have nothing better to do with their time - and find comfort or pleasure in bashing me for my opinions. I did not start this board out with mean words, I tried to see both sides of opinions. Whether you think the company's response was professional or not, it certainly does not validate going at my throat for "posting such a long blog" or "grammatical errors," etc. If you have actually had good or bad or any contact with the business, GREAT! I encourage those posts.

Vegasgroom - I never said my budget was $1,000, again this is fabrication. I said, IF my budget were $1,000 - trying to give an example of percentages. I informed him my budget was $5,000 when initially emailing him a request through the website. So that would not be the issue in this case. But thank you for trying to defend him. I agree that there is only so much a business owner can do for free, but I do not believe that I was asking for much.

Thank you jccswl, for your post. I don't believe we're all on the same side, but your idea on helping other brides to beware of policies, and using MC as an example, is another good way of putting it. I never really got a chance to be on the offense, as you can see from the beginning posts. With the exception of a few rational women, the posts towards me were rude. After going into a couple profiles and seeing how they talk to other women in posts, I can see it's not just me, it's their MO.

Thank you, MVJP10 - I agree.

Thank you, Isvensson for your post. I agree that I was a bit snippy - I did not mean to be, but I was insulted he would require a 50% deposit for any more of his time. It made me feel like I wasn't worth his time, which is not a good feeling for a customer (obviously). Defense is a knee jerk response.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:b3a6ec15-2a18-41ea-ac9a-fb33e2ad7048">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Vegasgroom - <strong>I never said my budget was $1,000, again this is fabrication.</strong> I said, IF my budget were $1,000 - trying to give an example of percentages. I informed him my budget was $5,000 when initially emailing him a request through the website. So that would not be the issue in this case. But thank you for trying to defend him. I agree that there is only so much a business owner can do for free, but I do not believe that I was asking for much.

You posted your own email to MC, it stated:

[quote]
    <span style="font-size:10pt;">but I have never heard of someone charging $150  to taste it. No offense, and I'm sure your food is exquisite but that's a pretty steep price. Thinking of it percentage wise, I would be losing 15% of what I would be budgeting for your catering cost.
    [/quote]

You told him charging you $150 would cause you to lose 15% of what you would be budgeting for catering.  $150 is 15% of $1000.

Oh yeah, you also told him "</span><span style="font-size:10pt;">There are tons of other caterers in Las Vegas who I have gotten revised quotes from who aren't trying to charge me a fee."  Wow, that would make me want to jump up and down to try and compete for your business when I know you've asked 'tons' of other vendors for the same thing.
    </span>

Married in Vegas - June 2011

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the love. I said "what I WOULD BE". Meaning, whatever quote he provides me with. Which at that time, was the original quote. If I budget $1,000 or $20,000 - I need to know if there are extras! To me, it matters to know that if I go with him, I'm paying a $150 taste fee. Whether he's worth it or not, I need to know that he's going to charge me anything extra on top of what I'm budgeting for each section of my wedding. I need to know that he requires a 50% deposit for a revised quote upfront. If my budget is not detailed in every way, I have to take it up with my fiance. If my numbers are not EXACTLY on, I am the one that has to take responsibility for it.

And me saying that I had other caterers who did revise my quotes for free - is a friendly reminder to let him know that he's far from the only well rated company in Las Vegas. Whether he takes that as a challenge to push for my business, or an easy way out of doing business for me, can be interpreted in a number of ways. Which you are obviously taking personal.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In the spirit of keeping these boards helpful-- can anyone recommend another caterer that might be an option?  I keep hearing about another deli, Fagioli's or something?  Anyone remember?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:2b1d91d6-30a8-4724-8739-38c5b18fef1a">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]In the spirit of keeping these boards helpful-- can anyone recommend another caterer that might be an option?  I keep hearing about another deli, Fagioli's or something?  Anyone remember?
    Posted by lsvensson[/QUOTE]

Fazoli's and I believe they do pizza and pasta. There is also Jason's Deli. I placed an order for the afternoon of our wedding to cater both suites while we get ready. For two sandwich platters that feed 12 each, two half gallons of chili, chips, and cookie platters I think it was about 140. They have a great menu. They also deliver for 5 dollars to anywhere on the strip! I'm sorry Masterpiece did not work for you. I think there is one other place called Creative Catering that had pretty good reviews.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ah yes, that's it...thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    My, my, my...Have I stumbled upon the Etiquette Board by accident?!  Cattiness is sooo unbecoming the Vegas Board...  Tongue out

With that said, although I didn't use MC for my wedding, they are one of the most highly rated caterers in Vegas Valley and have been for years.  As stated before not every vendor is for every bride and  if offense is to be taken over a hypothetical transaction that is not going to happen anyway, why would one ask for input from the very place that recommended the vendor in the 1st place? 

I'm sure the OP will be able to find someone to cater her wedding and MC will quickly find a number of customers ok with their policies.  Seems to me, No Harm, No Foul.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    What the French, toast?! 

OP - I'm sorry about your experience, that's a bummer but you probably (prolly) could have handled things better.  Like you said it would have been great to know the deposit was refundable.  In the early stages of our planning, I know we received more than one quote from Masterpiece and didn't pay anything for them. We didn't end up using MC, but a 50% deposit is pretty standard. Nonetheless, good luck with your planning. I hope you're able to find another caterer.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I do agree with the OP that paying for a quote is ridiculous. I did get a quote from Masterpiece and it was a bit more than I wanted to pay and I was able to get a revised quote (within the hold date). At that point I was not convinced it was the direction I wanted to go and the price per person jumped a lot when I revised the number down. I emailed Scott that I was going to release the hold date for now. But they are still our top pick for catering. So now I am concerned that if we do get everything sorted out I will have to pay to finalize my quote.

I have no problem putting down 50% based on reputation, but I do agree with OP that I would want to know exactly what I am agreeing to first. I think if he had told you it was refundable that would have solved the issue.

I agree that a business can institute whatever policies work for them and as a capitalist country they will sink of swim based on those policies. It is good to see a different review for masterpiece.
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:44856c31-ff56-4771-ab58-43fd90c639e7">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the love. I said "what I WOULD BE". Meaning, whatever quote he provides me with. Which at that time, was the original quote. If I budget $1,000 or $20,000 - I need to know if there are extras! To me, it matters to know that if I go with him, I'm paying a $150 taste fee. Whether he's worth it or not, I need to know that he's going to charge me anything extra on top of what I'm budgeting for each section of my wedding. I need to know that he requires a 50% deposit for a revised quote upfront. If my budget is not detailed in every way, I have to take it up with my fiance. If my numbers are not EXACTLY on, I am the one that has to take responsibility for it. And me saying that I had other caterers who did revise my quotes for free - <strong>is a friendly reminder to let him know that he's far from the only well rated company in Las Vegas. </strong>Whether he takes that as a challenge to push for my business, or an easy way out of doing business for me, can be interpreted in a number of ways. Which you are obviously taking personal.
     the first part doesn't even make sense.  I dont think he was trying to be shady about his fees at all.  He clearly disclosed them to you, including the deposit information.  You didn't ask if it was refundable or not.  That's on you. 

As for the bolded part, I don't think he cares one bit about a 'friendly' reminder from you, and you were anything but friendly.
  • Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm the same way with regards to wanting to see everything in person, at first I was not going to do a scouting trip to save money, but after being undecided about what Suite to pick etc. I said screw it and went out there. Everyone has different tastes so even if a venue gets a great review, doesn't mean it fits us. i.e.. we picked a different Suite than the norm because that Suite fit us better. I don't think anyone can really blame you for wanting to be hands on, see stuff in person for your wedding, do tastings etc. Some brides are more easy going and are comfortable in booking things without seeing them in person and trying them out for themselves, some are not. Some things may be really important to me, whereas another bride could care less about it. I am less easy going when it comes to planning a destination wedding but I'm ok with that as I'm now confident in my decisions due to the scouting trip.

With that said, we booked MC and I did not do a tasting when I was there for the scouting trip. I have 100% confidence that their food will be good, so for me no point in shelling out the money for the tasting, plus I was the only one there so there would have been too much food to taste for just me. To be honest, that didn't even cross my mind to do while there, just because I have no doubts. Plus the price can't be beat. Scott has been more than accommodating so far and responds to me usually the day of or the next day at the latest.

They just aren't the catering company for you, nothing else to do but move on.

• MisEstaMisEsta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sorry about your experience with Scott.
    I had no problems with him, even after I had to cancel our agreement because we moved our wedding date. Our deposit was completely refundable, although you have to wait 90 days to get it.
    We also had a tasting which was great! It seemed weird at first to pay the $150, but I have a picky groom and didn't want to take any chances. 
    Its in a business building in an empty room just set up for the tasting. It had a table and place settings for four. And he had everything that was on our menu available. So after having the tasting and being able to see everything that they do, I had no problem with the $150.
    I'm not sure if I will need catering this time, but if I do, I would still go with MC.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MisEstaMisEsta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:0a3d3f72-5dc9-4a84-9b29-cc1cdc5e3451">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE] Oh, and I don't need an excuse to be a b!tch.  I was born that way.
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]

HAHA! This cracks me up! You are too funny smokey!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Masterpiece is not charging you for a quote, they want to make sure you are serious about doing business with them. Even though you like to think that it will only take a "few minutes" it will probably take a lot more that that.
    The way you totally dismissed their work is a  HUGE RED FLAG to the business. Being that they are so well stablished it might very well be that they rather do business with someone:
    1 - Nice
    2 - Respectful
    3 - Serious
    Which you do not come across like being in any of your emails.
    Just move on and find another caterer that will do almost anything for free or cheap and see what you get.
    Good luck with that.....
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:b3a77b3f-32fb-4ba8-a102-130e0bebda78">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Masterpiece is not charging you for a quote, they want to make sure you are serious about doing business with them. Even though you like to think that it will only take a "few minutes" it will probably take a lot more that that. The way you totally dismissed their work is a  HUGE RED FLAG to the business. Being that they are so well stablished it might very well be that they rather do business with someone: 1 - Nice 2 - Respectful 3 - Serious Which you do not come across like being in any of your emails. Just move on and find another caterer that will do almost anything for free or cheap and see what you get. Good luck with that.....
    Posted by pattitti2001[/QUOTE]

Patti I don't know you but I heart you now.  Well said. 

I'm sure OP will still insist they are charging her for a quote (even tho she already got one) and that her emails were perfectly appropriate and included 'friendly reminders'
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:11c104f0-9806-4a70-a650-ca4cecd3d3af">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine : Patti I don't know you but I heart you now.  Well said.  I'm sure OP will still insist they are charging her for a quote (even tho she already got one) and that her emails were perfectly appropriate and included 'friendly reminders'
    Posted by aegrish[/QUOTE]

No offense but dude, we.get.it.  You're beating a dead horse; the OP hasn't posted in this thread since yesterday and hasn't even returned to respond to your earlier insults. Why keep stiring the pot?  It's been determined that she could have handled things more professionally and asked more questions.  So she wanted to warn people.  People can either take or leave the warning as credible and keep it moving.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_beware-of-masterpiece-cuisine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:45ffaf7f-6a7d-4eeb-b6cf-00f5bd51ec28Post:a557f744-df89-46c6-876c-570047cbced7">Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beware of Masterpiece Cuisine : No offense but dude, we.get.it.  You're beating a dead horse; the OP hasn't posted in this thread since yesterday and hasn't even returned to respond to your earlier insults. Why keep stiring the pot?  It's been determined that she could have handled things more professionally and asked more questions.  So she wanted to warn people.  People can either take or leave the warning as credible and keep it moving.
    Posted by ebonyivory10[/QUOTE]

I am co-signing this...
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards