September 2012 Weddings

Tipping your Seamstress?

I had my second fitting yesterday (I love my dress and am so excited to wear it!)  At the end of my appointment my FMIL tells me that I'm supposed to tip my seamstress at my last fitting.  I have never heard of this before.  Did you ladies tip?  Is it customary to tip them?  I don't want to seem rude if I don't tip but I'm also not a fan of shelling out more money for this wedding than I already have!

Re: Tipping your Seamstress?

• Seamstresses usually own their own business, so you never have to tip someone who owns their own business b/c they keep 100% of the profit. My seamstress owns her own, so I know I don't *have* to tip her, but I feel like she doesn't charge me enough so I throw in a little extra. Last time I went to her, I had two BM dresses taken in, hemmed, and straps fixed and she only wanted $30. I gave her 40 or 50 I can't remember. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • edited August 2012
    My seamstress doesn't own her own business.  She works for the the salon where I got my dess...maybe I'll tip her anyway to my FMIL happy at least.  I feel like my alterations are going to be around $250-300...how much should I tip?
  • I tipped mine, and like PP she owns her own business but is insanely cheap, so my mom thought that it was fair to tip her. She was also a super sweet lady and did a great job, so that made it an easy decision. I think mine were $150 and we gave her $175.
    Anniversary
  • I was not planning on tipping mine.  I feel like what I am already paying her covers her labor plus plenty of extra.  I have actually never heard of tipping the seamstress.
  • Hmmmm, I am picking up my dress Saturday and hadn't even thought of this! My alterations were also done by the salon where I purchased my dress. They charged us a flat fee for all alterations which we already paid. Not sure if I should bring some $$ to give directly to the seamstress.
    Anniversary
  • I didn't- it's a few gals that own an alterations place, I get the feeling it's a co-ownership thing as far as I can tell. At any rate, I went for one fitting, they hemmed it and did a little nipping-in at the bustline, it was good to go. If they'd made a ton of changes and I'd come back 2-3+ times, I might have done differently.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did not tip and did not think it was customary.  But, my seamstress also owns her own place.  Found this on Martha Stewart wedding:

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/226661/tipping-wedding-vendors

It says a tip isn't expected but a thank you card with a picture after the wedding is a nice thing to say thanks.  And I know my seamstress had a whole wall of photos from brides hanging up.
  • I like the card idea!!
  • I got my gown at Kleinfeld in New York. They charge a pretty hefty flat fee for alterations so I didn't think a tip was necessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards