Snarky Brides
Options

Words You Hate

Re: Words You Hate

• Options
    prolly - as in "I'll prolly going to the store tonight."

No, you will PROBABLY go. prob-ab-ly...
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Hubby and panties doesn't bother me.  Moist bothers me a little.  Preggo/preggers is pretty dumb too.

I dislike all those words for genitalia, sexual things, or breasts, like c**t, p***y, tits, cum/splooge (hate even typing that) etc.  Gross, and grow up.  

I was out to lunch with a bunch of people, and this one guy was telling a story about something and needed to say breasts.  He kept gesturing with his hands (to express the word breasts) and finally said some goofy made up word that I can't for the life of me remember.  I was so annoyed.  It was like he was too embarrassed just to say the word.  If you're a grown person and can't just say "breasts" for crying out loud (I would've even been okay with boobs or something, geez).

SaveSave
  • Options
    the new phrase at work is "non-trivial" - as in, the merges blew up and caused a non-trivial issue in the QA area... I roll my eyes every time I hear someone say this phrase...

• Options
    @wittykitty14 and @addieL73- I can appreciate the dislike of baby talk names for things, but for binky and nuk - those are both brands of pacifiers which is where the nicknames come from.

• Options
    Ohhhhhh!  Thank you, MrsMack!  I feel so much better about those now!

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I work with kids, so I've had to deal with all the names for pacifiers - I'm partial to binky though. I don't know why.

I get really annoyed with all the nicknames people come up with for their genitalia and/or bodily functions.

I'm pretty blunt. I'll either excuse myself to go to the bathroom/restroom or (if with family) say "I gotta pee". I HAVE been known to say "go potty" because that's what we say to the dog and that's what I hear from kids all day long. DH got really annoyed one time when we were at the movies because he said "I'll be back, I gotta go to the bathroom" and without thinking I said "Okay, you go potty and I'll wait here." Facepalm. But I hate "tinkle" or "piddle" and all that nonsense. I knew a family that called their little girl's farts "fluffs". 

I've heard SO many nicknames for genitalia with the kids. Not everyone wants their kids to call it a penis or vagina, and I get that. But my little cousin said that boys had tallywhackers and girls had hootnannies, No lie. I've also heard pee-pee and tee-tee, or one little girl who thought that everything below her belly button and above her thighs was her bottom... like... there's different things down there that need names of their own!
  • Options
    monkeysip said:
    Right? They aren't bad words!

I was at work one day and a little girl came in and was talking about her trip to the beach over the weekend. Her mother was a nurse so she used the anatomical terms for her body parts - NBD. She was maybe five years old and she said "Yeah we had fun but then a jellyfish stung me on my vagina." Not true, the jellyfish stung her very low on her belly, but still. One of the boys was like "Ohhh yeah I hate when that happens to me!" - had no clue what a vagina was!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I hate the word literally. I cringe even when it's used correctly. When did our language become so diluted that you need a word to emphasize that you mean what you're saying?

ETA: First off (I know, 2 words).

Word I love: Squeegee!

Anniversary

• Options
    I forgot one. Preggers. 

Yes, Kitty, any version of it! Hubs, Hubster. Blech.

It's not letting me write outside the quote...but I haaate preggers! 

My friend used to always say she was "twitterpated".  I know it's not really a word but it would drive me crazy.  I also hate the word "yup".
  • Options
    Pinterest
  • Options
    I work with kids, so I've had to deal with all the names for pacifiers - I'm partial to binky though. I don't know why.

I get really annoyed with all the nicknames people come up with for their genitalia and/or bodily functions.

I'm pretty blunt. I'll either excuse myself to go to the bathroom/restroom or (if with family) say "I gotta pee". I HAVE been known to say "go potty" because that's what we say to the dog and that's what I hear from kids all day long. DH got really annoyed one time when we were at the movies because he said "I'll be back, I gotta go to the bathroom" and without thinking I said "Okay, you go potty and I'll wait here." Facepalm. But I hate "tinkle" or "piddle" and all that nonsense. I knew a family that called their little girl's farts "fluffs". 

I've heard SO many nicknames for genitalia with the kids. Not everyone wants their kids to call it a penis or vagina, and I get that. But my little cousin said that boys had tallywhackers and girls had hootnannies, No lie. I've also heard pee-pee and tee-tee, or one little girl who thought that everything below her belly button and above her thighs was her bottom... like... there's different things down there that need names of their own!

You mean you don't "fluff"?!?

Also, you little cousin sounds pretty awesome!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LAM524LAM524 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    "wee-wash" = female genitalia. I only know one couple that has taught their 3 yr old daughter this! "These are my eyes, this is my nose, and this is my wee-wash (because she goes "wee"). Ugh!

"ninny" = pacifier "let her suck the ninny if she/he gets cranky." Do they have any idea what they are really saying? lol

"snake/hose" = male genitalia. "Gonna go relieve the snake/drain the hose." I cant stand when a male says this! Why announce it anyway?

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • Options
    I used to work at a preschool and a little boy came up to me with a naked Barbie doll. He pointed to her breasts and asked "miss Elizabeth, what are these?". I replied "they're breasts". The next day I was called to the office and repremanded for it. I was told that I should've either ignored his inquiry or said "chest". I was dumbfounded. That is the anotomically correct term!! Let's just say I didn't work there for very long.

Word I hate... Crisp. Ew. Fl hates neat. It's pretty funny to see his expression when people say it.
  • Options
    It's not really a word, but I hate when people say "Over-Exaggerated" 

I don't like the word "Booger" or when my FI says "Burger" with a Boston accent.."Boyguh" UGH drives me crazy! 
  • Options

ashleyxo3 said:
    It's not really a word, but I hate when people say "Over-Exaggerated" 

I don't like the word "Booger" or when my FI says "Burger" with a Boston accent.."Boyguh" UGH drives me crazy! 
    "Boy-Guh" is more of a Brooklyn accent, not Boston. (Believe me - my dad's from Brooklyn, and I've lived in Boston for six years... there's a difference!) But, yeah, there are so many thinks my Bostonian brethren say that just make me shake-my-effing-head.

I'm also on the "preggo"-hating group! I especially cringe when I see this crap...

UGH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know this isn't a "word"... but... incorrectly used their/they're/there and two/too/to.
  • Options
    NYCBruinNYCBruin member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    I'll tell you what my least favorite phrase is:  "You can't..."

The hell I can't!  Sit down and strap in, this is happening.
    Agreed!  

I also have to add the phrase, "you have to."  Especially when related to wedding planning: "You have to have flowers!"  "You have to have your bridesmaids wear matching dresses!"

Ummm no.  I'm fairly certain NY state didn't recently passing a law stating that flowers or matching dresses are necessary for our marriage license to be valid.  
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    OP: Thank you.  I, too, hate the word 'hubby'.  It drives me insane, especially in the ever-present "My hubby did ______ for me and he's the best hubby in the world" posts on FB.  I want to run into traffic when I see that.

Also hate:
    Ain't
    Prego/Preggo/Preggers
    Axe (as in "Let me axe you a question.")  No!  Nonono!  It's ASK!  

I also have an exBF who used to say, "I have to go 'do my business'" instead of "Use the restroom" or "Use the bathroom".  Drove me nuts.

My children all use the proper physiological terms for their genitalia, and always have.  There is nothing dirty about 'penis' or 'vagina'.   
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    radleybooradleyboo member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    Forgot one:  Smoothie.  ((shudder))

ETA another: Noodle.  I will do all I can to say 'pasta' instead of 'noodle' or 'noodles'.  

What's funny is that I hate saying both of those words, but seeing them written out is even worse for some reason.  Yuck.  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    Ditto "preggo," "preggers," etc. I'm also growing very tired of "unique," in large part because it's rarely used correctly. This is even worse when people say something is "very unique," because something can't be more unique than something else. It either is unique or it isn't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I hate "we're" pregnant.  I always want to ask the man when HE got his uterus.
    Ha! Yes. I remember my mother telling me once that "Steve and Janet are pregnant!" My reaction: "Steve too?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    My mother has a problem with words that end in "a" she always has an add a "r" to the end! for example instead of saying "Vanilla" she says "Vanniller" or instead of "soda" she says "soder" drives me crazy lol
  • Options
    My mother has a problem with words that end in "a" she always has an add a "r" to the end! for example instead of saying "Vanilla" she says "Vanniller" or instead of "soda" she says "soder" drives me crazy lol
    Is she from Boston? My mother does this, too, especially if the next word starts with a vowel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Supper.. It's dinner

Come with.. When someone says do you want to come with?..ahh

Hubby

Preggers

Baby daddy/baby momma

I could go on and on
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    efmcc67 said:
    Is she from Boston? My mother does this, too, especially if the next word starts with a vowel.
    She is from Staten Island New York!
  • Options

Tarra - my daughter said something similar when she was four.  We were at a store and an older lady was chatting with DD... She asked her where she lived and her reply was "I used to live in mommy's uterus, but now I live in xxxxtown"

I got a dirty look and the lady changed lanes...

• Options
    I hate "sperm donor" more than I hate "babydaddy". That shit drives me nuts.
  • Options
    I hate "we're" pregnant.  I always want to ask the man when HE got his uterus.
    We talked about this in my cross-cultural communications class in college. I think it should go "I'm pregnant, we're having a baby, he's/you're the father" :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards