Not Engaged Yet

What do you love/hate in a wedding dress?

So, I noticed that many of the engaged NEY ladies that hang around don't have their dresses yet. I thought this might be fun for all those thinking about THE dress. What are the things you love and those that you hate? I'll go first. Love: -a non-white dress (maybe even light gold if I can find it) - a non-strapless dress Hate: -poofy dresses -pickups -long trains Keep in mind that my wedding is going to be a casual, intimate affair of hopefully no more than 30 people.

Re: What do you love/hate in a wedding dress?

• simplemachinesimplemachine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so with you on non-strapless! And pickups.Love:- at least cap sleeves, or an off-the-shoulder thing- fitted, natural waistHate:- horizontal gathering- tons of laceI'm sure I'll think of more, haha.
  • edited December 2011
    Love - dresses with a little bit of color on them ( I know it's obvious : ) - pretty embroidery or beading especially on the bodice Hate - mermaid dresses - I don't get it I couldn't walk in the thing! - pickups - spaghetti straps - one strap dresses
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Haha, I got schooled when I actually tried on dress4es! I ended up not liking all the things I THOUGHT I loved. :)LOVE--Straps, off-the shoulder, etc. Why the hell are they all strapless?-Dresses built for curves. I am not a clothes hanger.-Rouching/gathered fabricHATE--Too much beading! I am not a frosted cupcake!-Non-white dresses (on me, at least). I tried on a champagne color and I felt like I was going to the prom, not getting married-Tulle@@#@!!!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I apologize for the typos and excessive @s. Etcetera likes to help me type.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I'm impressed jeana - etcetera can use the shift key!
  • tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Things i love looking at pics only at this point of course :Love : - Strapless          - sweetheart necklines          - crystal beading          - corset backHate:   - the cinderella poofy look           - something that looks more like lingerie than a wedding dress           - stupidly long trains that seem impractical
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Love:Non-strapless (preferably halters)A-line or slim A-lineRuching Hate:Pick ups, or any kind of excessive fabricStrapless A-line (All my girlfriends that had them looked great, but they ALL had this cut. Not for me)Prices.
    Night swimming in the ocean= pretty sweet reception!
  • edited December 2011
    good point jeana that you'll never know until you try it on. I'm not even going to pretend that I have any clue what will look good on me. I'm still not going with anything too poofy or with pickups though. Also, I don't see the need for a long train in a casual wedding.
  • I have my dress, but I'll play!Love:- strapless- sweetheart neckline- simplicity- fuller skirts (A line or ball gown)- ruching/drapingHate:- beading- corset backs- mermaid or trumpet gown- sashes/ribbon bowsAmbivalent on:- pickups- lace
  • lzimm13lzimm13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOVE Love love! Lace!!! strapless/cap sleeves open back trains hate: Pick ups dresses that look hoochie slinky made-for-a-hanger stuff
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Oooh, love this poll!LOVES:illusion backsslimmer silhouettes (not poofy ballgown)simple, classic, elegantDISLIKES:pick upsoverly fussy/busylong trainsI loooove this jcrew dress, but am afraid I'm too short and curvy to pull it off:[url]http://tinyurl.com/ybrwo32[/url]
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    LOL, Rachel I was holding shift so I could type the exclamation points, but Etcetera likes to mimic what I type sometimes. She is amazed by the way the keys click, so she tries to do it herself, too.Aww, kitties. :)Anywho, I forgot to mention that I hate pickups. A lot. They are too Belle from Beauty and the Beast, and they remind me even more of cupcake frosting or lemon meringue pie.I AM NOT A DESSERT!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    [i]I AM NOT A DESSERT![/i] LOL If I had a drink it would be all over my keyboard with this comment
  • edited December 2011
    Seriously, those lacy, beaded, ballgown dresses that were just oozing feminine princess charm just made me feel like a giant freaking cupcake, and I told the consultant so.However, I DID expect to want a dress with some kind of bling on it. Mine is refreshingly bling-free, though. Who'da thunk it?
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    It's interesting what kind of styles you think you like before you try things on and then finding out what you actually do like afterwards - I thought for sure I wanted a halter dress until I tried one on and it made me look frumpy
  • edited December 2011
    Dude, all my life I wanted an all-out princess dress. What did I get? Hollywood glam.It's like the total opposite of what I THOUGHT I wanted. And even when I saw it on the hanger, I was like "Pfft, what's that plain-jane thing? I don't even know if I should bother."Moral of the story--- Love it or hate it, try on EVERYTHING. ;)
    Anniversary
  • a&b=him&mea&b=him&me member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The lingerie dress - the see-thru corset top one? HA! lolI'm not sure what looks good on yet, but I've looked at a few and I love a hand full of dresses by Pronovias, Rosa Clara, Jim Hjelm and Claire Pettibone.One things I'm sure of though is that I'm not liking the prices lol.BF is taking about having a destination wedding so we shall see how that changes the dress options.phew!
    Hi, I'm Amanda :)

Remembering Evelyn and raising Bailey
    Evelyn Born at 24wks 6days on May 22, 2010 due to pre-e Passed away May 25, 2010

BFP# 2 Delivered 6wks early due to preeclampsia
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    I already have mine (had to buy a sample off the rack as there was not enough time between engagement and wedding to order one!) however here is my love/hates:LOVE:- Off-white - Ivory, Dark Ivory, Champagne (goes better with my Irish-pale complexion)- Elegant with clean lines and not much excess fabric- Snug fitting- Rouching- Detailed back - such as a corset style- Trumpet/Mermaid skirts - just work with my body type as I am rather petite- Sweetheart necklines - Bolero jackets to keep the shoulders warm when needed (having a winter wedding after all!)- A little bit of detailing but very simply done - ie a scattering of rhinestones/pearls at hip, or at neckline- Affordable!So...basically I just described my own dress...ha!HATE:- Princess/ballroom/cinderella style gowns. I think they look great on some, and I am very petite and look overwhelmed by the dress in them- Poofy dresses.- Excess fabric.- Pure white. Just does not work with my complexion.- Especially not pure white offset by some stark colour like black.- Veils. No thanks.- Trains of almost any sort. Nothing longer than a "sweep" train, thanks!- Bustles, pick ups, etcetera- spending thousands of dollars on a dress to be worn for one dayKeep in mind I prefer "simple", my wedding is a winter destination wedding, is going to be very intimate (under 20 people including myself and my FI) and going to be very personal and casual. The dress I went for was not at all what I thought I would like and was going more for chiffon and other airy dresses, and when I saw it on the hanger after the salesgirl suggested it I was like "silk taffeta, really?" but once I tried it on...I was sold!)
  • a&b=him&mea&b=him&me member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jeana, good advice.I think some of the common concerns are, with a strapless - if you dance at the reception are you going to be pulling it up all night long?I think I might end up with a capsleeve.
    Hi, I'm Amanda :)

Remembering Evelyn and raising Bailey
    Evelyn Born at 24wks 6days on May 22, 2010 due to pre-e Passed away May 25, 2010

BFP# 2 Delivered 6wks early due to preeclampsia
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Photobucket

• edited December 2011
    Loves: - Non-strapless - Lace - Little bit of beading, but not too much - A-line shapingHates: - Big, poofy ball gowns - Mermaid/trumpet - I looked like a coke bottle and it was awful - Pick-ups with so much fabric you look like a down comforter was sewn into your skirt - Dresses that look like someone went nutso with a bedazzler - Longer sleeves than cap sleeves, unless you're doing the long lace/illusion sleeve.  Some of those are ok.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • MoiramabMoiramab member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Loving: -Off the shoulder straps (seriously, judging by the replies, I wonder why the majority of dresses are still strapless)-Beading/Embroidery/design on the bodice and skirt. Not the all over stuff, just something to make it look a little "blingy" as Jeana says ;-)-A-lineNevah-evah-the skirts that look like coffin liners. I think those are Pick-ups?-Trumpet/sheath not only would it make me look like I'm wearing spandex, I don't think my derriere would safely let me sit in it-Straight line strapless. Sweethearts look nice on the right people, but a cutting line against your bewbs is not becoming on a real woman
  • MoiramabMoiramab member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    PS - Funny story about the poofy dresses:I was at a wedding in september, and the bride went all-out girly girl, lots of pink, sparkle, and a HUGE tulle skirt. During the (choreographed) first dance, new hubby could hardly keep his hands at her waist/shoulder he was so far away, and poor thing kept stepping on the skirt.And Then, when they were going for the garter, she went to sit down, missed the chair, and landed hard on the dance floor. Embarassing, yet fun for telling in retrospect.
  • zaneopalzaneopal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love:- off the shoulder straps- A-line (I've got me some hips)- keeping it simple, no fancy seams, no lace, no beading, etc- fascinators- tiny veils (like the ones that cover forehead to nose)- my mother's dress--it's simple velvet with burgundy trim, off the shoulder long sleeves (my parents' wedding was 3 days after Christmas). I'd have to gain about 20 lbs and be 3 inches shorter for it to fit though.Hate:- strapless! I don't want to spend my wedding day worrying about my dress falling down- trains- pickups- beading/"crystals"- long veils- crinolines- column dresses...mostly because they just make me look very hippy
  • edited December 2011
    tiny veils (like the ones that cover forehead to nose)Just for whenever you start looking for one, these are called birdcage veils.  It'll help with the googling to find one or pictures or whatever if you know what to call them!  HTH!  :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • edited December 2011
    Love: straps v-necks A-lines Hate: strapless (I'm not a fan of the boob-muffin) pick-ups (Like jeana, I am not a cupcake!) dresses with color (too fad-ish)mermaid/trumpet style (I'd like to be able to sit down and eat, thanks!)
  • emmyrooemmyroo member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Pretty sure that when I can start planning, wedding dress shopping will be my favorite part. :)Love:-A little bit of embroidery/beading-Asymmetrical waist, fitted bodice-Medium-length train-V-neck or sweetheart neckline-Simple accessories, including headpiece and veil.Hate:-Pick-ups!  That seems to be a general consensus here :P-Those Greek-goddess looking dresses (is it empire silhouette?) that flow out from under the bust.-Big, poofy tulle Cinderella dresses... just a little ridiculus!  Oh, and ball-gowns too.Not sure how I feel about strapless or not yet.  I've never had much luck with them, but I think I have really nice shoulder and it would be fun to show them off a bit.  Maybe if I got a good bra (to keep those girls up there!) and a good fitting bodice, I'd go for it.  Otherwise, I like thin straps and spaghetti straps.
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    a&b - if you have the dress altered properly to fit you then you shouldn't be pulling it up all night. I danced a lot at our wedding and the only time I tugged on it at all was after cotton-eyed joe (it's a fast paced line dance that's pretty popular at weddings around here)
  • simplemachinesimplemachine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Now that I think about it, if I'd actually started looking yet I'm sure my hate by far would be price, haha. I wish there were a way to rent wedding dresses or something. I really don't want to spend more than $300.So far I'm betting that dress shopping will aggravate the heck out of me. I'd wear my mom's but from what I remember it was pretty 80s-looking :\
  • edited December 2011
    Love: a little color Long dresses but no so long that i cant dance something snug up top so that i dont have to keep pulling it up backless dresses pearl buttons Hate: Trains so long that some one can trip on it dresses where the front is shorter than the back One starp dresses Dresses with feathers all over it.. lol
  • edited December 2011
    Amber - feathers? You have peaked my interest - do you have a picture of said dress?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards