Wedding Etiquette Forum

This makes me ragey.

Re: This makes me ragey.

• I wonder if Ben and I are going to be sent to jail for child abuse?  Because we are going to be strict parents.  By the time our kids are in school they probably won't even give assignments.  You'll just get points for showing up and being your special little self.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:47216769-09f8-4aae-9f1b-b4ea3d0ee671">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe they associated markers with fun, so it wasn't as scary to see?
    Posted by Beaniebeach[/QUOTE]

Maybe but if I see an F in crayon or marker...it will not be fun.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:08d6be32-b142-4de7-87ab-d7ae9add05dc">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]BUT IT WAS DONE IN MARKER!!  Bonus if it was a smelly marker that smelled like cherry.
    Posted by Beaniebeach[/QUOTE]

Oooo or the brown one that smelled like Chocolate!
  • Obviously someone out there thinks it's a good idea to do all of this though - who do you think it is? Just the NCLB thing? What about parents? Do you think they're to blame too?
  • Yeah, I disagree with EVERYTHING about that. Getting upset because of seeing red all over your paper? Perhaps doing poorly SHOULD upset you. I'm exceedingly grateful that my district doesn't have this policy. In fact, first semester last year, a child ended up with a 69 in my precalculus class (70 is passing). My administration put NO pressure on my to change the grade, even though this child was a senior. Did I feel guilty about it? Absolutely not. His effort was absolutely minimal, and he did not demonstrate the requisite knowledge of the subject matter to pass.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:69091362-1a93-4c30-b2be-350feda2ec78">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Obviously someone out there thinks it's a good idea to do all of this though - who do you think it is? Just the NCLB thing? What about parents? Do you think they're to blame too?
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

I think parents are way up their ass about their kids these days.  They really don't believe their kids are capable of being bullies or getting a D on a test.

Have you seen that comic about this?  The first panel is set something like 50 years ago and depicts a parent-teacher conference where the student gets an F, and the parents are pissed at the student.  The next panel depicts the same setting but in present day - and the parents are pissed at the teacher.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:69091362-1a93-4c30-b2be-350feda2ec78">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Obviously someone out there thinks it's a good idea to do all of this though - who do you think it is? Just the NCLB thing? What about parents? Do you think they're to blame too?

Some of them,  yes.

Because their child is a special little snowflake who deserves to be rewarded for just being their own unique selves. Don't you dare steal their sunshine.
  • I think it's a combination of a lot of things. Laws and policies being created by people who have never taught or worked in a school doesn't help. Parents thinking their child can do no wrong doesn't help.

I always find myself nodding my head when I see this cartoon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LDY - this is happening all over (my district, too).  The idea is (at least  how my former principal explained it) that if a kid gets, for example, a 30% one quarter, they won't be able to dig out of a non-passing average when the 4 quarters are averaged together.   If they don't earn below a 50%, they still have a chance to recover and pass for the year.

My opinion: responsibility for one's actions and choices is going out the window.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• katehar01katehar01 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    They had this same "nothing lower than a 50" rule in the school I student-taught
    at.  On ANYTHING.  When my co-op told me about it, I just stared at
    her like she was crazy.  Scary to think that's happening across the
    country.  A couple of new things are happening in that district for next
    year (thank God I don't teach there anymore):

- You can't take off points for late work.  It's considered a behavioral problem, not an
    academic problem.  So basically, due dates no longer exist.
     - You can't penalize kids for cheating.  Again, it's "behavioral", so that can
    get a detention/suspension, but you have to let them redo the work for full
    credit.

It's really just sad.  These kids are just going to become
    more and more entitled and out of touch with what it actually takes to be
    successful in life.  My old co-op told me flat out that a diploma in her
    district means nothing anymore.  They just have to show up.  I'm
    grateful to teach in a district where the administration supports decently high
    expectations for students...but who knows if that will last.

Edit - sorry, nothing I am doing is fixing the centering/spacing.  Oh well.

127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • LDY: it is an interesting point about parents.  While it is more a general observation, the students that have a parent or parents involved do better. 

Our district just increased the grade requirements for athletics and after school activities, while implementing more after school study sessions.   I am hoping for the students to respond positively.
  • AATB - You're in my head. Or I'm in yours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:69091362-1a93-4c30-b2be-350feda2ec78">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:

YES, the parents are to blame, too! They are the ones that ask that you give their special snowflakes extra credit assignments, even though snowflake didn't bother to complete the regular assignments.
  • I've seen that AATB.  And it's so true.  

You know what drives me insane too?  At the high school when a parent calls me to ask how the student is doing, and then asks me to give them extra credit work if they are failing.  Fvck that, your kid is in high school.  When he/she is ready to accept responsibility for their actions and come ask me themselves for extra credit work, I'll work with them.  But I don't respond well to mom and dad coddling.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • We had a similar system in place at my old school I taught at. It was called the "ZAP" system (zeros aren't permitted) and it drove me absolutely insane. A kid doesn't turn in an assignment, you are supposed to give them a ZAP which is more or less a lunch detention where they are supposed to do the assignement. Which you have to supervise. Oh and make sure the kid has a special lunch delivered to the room. So let's make accomodations for the kids who don't do there work. We'll make it harder on the teachers who now have to give up their lunch period, the secretaries who have to try and coordinate everything and the lunch staff who now have to make "special" easily deliverable lunch options. The whole system is *ucked and bull and didn't work.
    June 16, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:7e9002fe-5c2b-4299-bd08-98d034484b5f">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]They had this same "nothing lower than a 50" rule in the school I student-taught at.  On ANYTHING.  When my co-op told me about it, I just stared at her like she was crazy.  Scary to think that's happening across the country.  A couple of new things are happening in that district for next year (thank God I don't teach there anymore):  -<strong> You can't take off points for late work.  It's considered a behavioral problem, not an academic problem.  So basically, due dates no longer exist.  - You can't penalize kids for cheating.  Again, it's "behavioral", so that can get a detention/suspension, but you have to let them redo the work for full credit. It's really just sad. </strong> These kids are just going to become more and more entitled and out of touch with what it actually takes to be successful in life.  My old co-op told me flat out that a diploma in her district means nothing anymore.  They just have to show up.  I'm grateful to teach in a district where the administration supports decently high expectations for students...but who knows if that will last.
    Posted by katehar01[/QUOTE]

TheFUCK?
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:40ce0f55-d698-4dc8-a03d-a64bc8f7afeb">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This makes me ragey. : I think parents are way up their ass about their kids these days.  They really don't believe their kids are capable of being bullies or getting a D on a test. <strong>Have you seen that comic about this?  The first panel is set something like 50 years ago and depicts a parent-teacher conference where the student gets an F, and the parents are pissed at the student.  The next panel depicts the same setting but in present day - and the parents are pissed at the teacher.
    </strong>Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Yes! I was just trying to find this when I saw her question. It has stuck with me ever since I saw it but I'm not having much luck finding it.

Parents think their children can do no wrong. They may act like perfect little angels at home or their parents don't pay enough attention to know what they're really up to so clearly they must turn in all of their homework with 100% correct and act pefect at school too. Where they don't see them.
  • Might as well just keep 'em in diapers and continue to wipe the shiiiit off their asses forever.
  • I tried the grading in green one year.

I couldn't see the darn color on white paper very well.

• Petal found it! That's exactly the one.
  • The parents are totally to blame as well, heaven forbid they have to get involved and help their child with his or her homework...or God forbid actually ask to look at it to make sure it's done properly or even done! They might miss the Bachelorette!

• I only offered extra credit after I checked to make sure my kids weren't missing any assignments.  Do all of the required assignments first, then you can do EC.  EC does NOT replace the assigned work.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:bf157c9d-c4a1-4c0b-83da-34c322258207">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This makes me ragey. : Employers will love the product of this policy. Imagine the shock when you dicover you can get fired for not doing your work on time. We are doing these kids a serious disservice.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]
    Yup. 

Or what about when they're late with a utility/credit card payment?

What do you mean I can't have an extension?!?!  I'm telling my mom!!!!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:0560b918-6445-4e4c-b9bf-ee04af01d7ba">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only offered extra credit after I checked to make sure my kids weren't missing any assignments.  Do all of the required assignments first, then you can do EC.  EC does NOT replace the assigned work.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

Exactly, the only time I was given EC was when i'd done the assigned work and was still struggling, usually in Math or Science.
  • Yeah Mrs.B I was the same way.  After the due date you could turn work in for half credit.  So once all of that was turned in then I would talk about E.C.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:dc2c06fd-13f6-4f3e-8fa1-1991783da367">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had a similar system in place at my old school I taught at. It was called the "ZAP" system (zeros aren't permitted) and it drove me absolutely insane. A kid doesn't turn in an assignment, you are supposed to give them a ZAP which is more or less a lunch detention where they are supposed to do the assignement. Which you have to supervise. Oh and make sure the kid has a special lunch delivered to the room. So let's make accomodations for the kids who don't do there work. We'll make it harder on the teachers who now have to give up their lunch period, the secretaries who have to try and coordinate everything and the lunch staff who now have to make "special" easily deliverable lunch options. The whole system is *ucked and bull and didn't work.
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because punishing the teachers for the kids not doing work makes a lot of sense.

• This video explains a lot....a bunch of us at my school were watching it this year

http://youtu.be/sr5kWOdkHYA
  • Not to mention the fact that most colleges that I know of certainly don't follow this line of thinking at all. This doesn't prepare you for that. Not to mention grad school if they make it that far.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-makes-me-ragey?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7590b6f1-292b-49fd-8e29-225f187755ecPost:17194930-c4ff-48f5-a407-11fa8296b837">Re: This makes me ragey.</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only thing I agree with in the school district (from your OP) is the no grading in red ink.  I was a good student, and just graduated with my master's degree... but I am also very emotional, and would get so upset in grade school if my work was covered in red.  Pink, purple, green, etc are all better options in my opinion because it shows that the answer is incorrect, but don't have the same "anger" maybe as a red pen:/
    Posted by jesslynn1012[/QUOTE]

You can't be serious.  If you are, then you are part of the problem.

I got my Ph,D, in Chemistry.  I have no emotional problems related to the color of a damn pen.  Get over it.
  • I feel like parents now a days aren't parenting like they should be. SIL took my nephew to the movies yesterday with H. My nephew had his feet on the chair of the person in front of him who kept turning around and putting her hand behind her and whatever trying to give him a subtle hint to move his feet - or, more likely, trying to give SIL a hint that her kid is being obnoxious without being confrontational. 

While I think the woman should have said "hey, sweetie, you're kicking my chair" or whatever and not just been passive about it, SIL said she saw her looking back and whatever and told me she wanted to "f*ck that lady up - she needs to get the f*ck over it" and "If she had said something to my kid, I would have thrown down"

Dude - your kid was being inconsiderate. You SAW that he was being inconsiderate. Tell him to move his feet. 

Your kid does things wrong, accept it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards