Snarky Brides
Options

Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all

PASS IT ON!!!!!!! WE FOUND A CURE!

Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all

• Options
    I am so so over facebook because of that damn campaign. Morons... everyone. You want to help kids? work at a shelter.. donate money.. become a foster parent... whatever- Just get off your damn computer and DO something.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options

That's wqhat I said on my FB status Star!

• Options
    IDK just putting a cartoon up is kind of doucherific to me. It's like saying" I really don't want to do anything about this so I will make an half assed attempt to show I care"
  • Options
    I pissed off quite a few of my friends because I told them how ridiculous the whole thing was.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've really had to bite my tongue because I don't want to piss my friends off.  But man oh man.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:0938f134-08b6-4bb7-9a0a-5e28d983b10b">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]IDK just putting a cartoon up is kind of doucherific to me. It's like saying" I really don't want to do anything about this so I will make an half assed attempt to show I care"
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

Exactly!
  • Options
    ricksangricksang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I just can' t my bite tongue. It' s too annoying and a little insulting.
  • Options
    My SIL (who I admittedly dont like but never say anything to) posted to change it to help child abuse and I asked how your fb pic helps child abuse and not only did one of her own friends like my comment, she shortly thereafter changed her pic back to a regular pic of herself. I guess she doesnt really care about child abuse afterall!
  • Options
    It takes a lot to get me worked up, but seeing that people on fb are trivializing the severity of something so horrible to the point of changing a picture on a social networking site to fight it... my hands were shaking. One of my friends said it made her feel good to "bring back the happy memories of her childhood for those who were abused as kids" REALLY?! That went way over my head obviously, because to me that would just rub it in the victims faces.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:7bbee1a6-3c41-4890-888c-5f6a6b131932">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]I pissed off quite a few of my friends because I told them how ridiculous the whole thing was.
    Posted by cha+ching[/QUOTE]

Me too.  About 12 of my friends changed their profile pic.  I changed my status to what one of you SB ladies suggested and I got unfriended by a few people.  But - I also got high fives from some. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    That shiit pisses me off. 

If you want to help stop child abuse then donate to a cause.  WTF does a cartoon have to do with it?

When I see the cartoons I just think you are too cheap to actually do anything about the cause..........  Its not like a big corporation will donate X amount of dollars if 100K people change their pics.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    Exactly blue, its just pretending to care so that you can feel like you appear like the type of person who cares about causes when really you just dont. I wont say I donate a lot of my time or money, but atleast i dont pretend to be something im not so that people will think im more than I am.
  • Options

Right Blue. And you don't even have to spend money to actually do something. Vlounteering your time = 0 dollars. I bet people are too busy to do that though.

• Options
    I donate to kids charities, but I dont blast it all over facebook.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I posted a comment about how it doesn't help and my cousin wrote back that she is trying to help with awareness like pink ribbons.  I decided to bite my tongue and not provide a LMGTFY link about how the pink ribbon campaign is crap and doesn't help breast cancer.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    reddy123reddy123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Uugh. It's causing quite the debate on my page with all my friends. I notice the cheesiest people I know have it. Bugs the crap out of me.

I liked my cousin's response to his friend, "Well, I'm a non-conformist so I think I'll keep my picture."

And a super smart person we all know said in response to "Well, it made you think a minute.":
    "Not really, I was too busy trying to decide my favorite cartoon character, kind of takes away from the point"
    (I'm not sure if she wants me quoting her FB)

Andplusalso, my mom works for a children's therapy office that I volunteer with, and we try REALLY hard to not have any pictures/stickers/coloring books from ANY cartoon whatsoever, because you never know what happened to a certain kid during a certain show. I find that really ironic to this whole idea.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:4c85978c-49c3-4577-90a1-d3be04ba3d96">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]I posted a comment about how it doesn't help and my cousin wrote back that she is trying to help with awareness like pink ribbons.  I decided to bite my tongue and not provide a<strong><u> LMGTFY</u></strong> link about how the pink ribbon campaign is crap and doesn't help breast cancer.
    Posted by Night_Sprite[/QUOTE]

Splain please?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I pissed off people when I questioned it too.  whatever.  My thought "mmhmm. I'm sure that kid who's being abused right now REALLY appreciates the fact that you have internet and can change your picture to show a cartoon character.... I'm sure they really appreciate it."

The one thing I will give this whole 'campaign' though is that it got people talking about child abuse at least?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:d775cd34-2ce9-421e-9eef-789bf0eac293">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uugh. It's causing quite the debate on my page with all my friends. I notice the cheesiest people I know have it. Bugs the crap out of me.  I liked my cousin's response to his friend, "Well, I'm a non-conformist so I think I'll keep my picture." And a super smart person we all know said in response to "Well, it made you think a minute.": "Not really, I was too busy trying to decide my favorite cartoon character, kind of takes away from the point" (I'm not sure if she wants me quoting her FB) Andplusalso, my mom works for a children's therapy office that I volunteer with, and we try REALLY hard to not have any pictures/stickers/coloring books from ANY cartoon whatsoever, because you never know what happened to a certain kid during a certain show. I find that really ironic to this whole idea.
    Posted by reddy123[/QUOTE]

Its no fun unless you name names
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    blue - let me google that for you
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I try to donate as much time as possible to my causes which is maybe 4 times a year but I would never pretend to think a fucking cartoon is going to help child abuse and like Cha said it's actually trivializing it!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:92edcede-df0f-4c98-9c29-9bd085db30d8">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : Splain please?
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    let me google that for you: Like this <a href="http://tinyurl.com/23ypddq" rel="nofollow">http://tinyurl.com/23ypddq</a>
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    I think its just an EGO thing. thats all it is. It has nothing to do with a cause, its the appearances.
  • Options
    Yeah and most of the people doing it have kids! WTF?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:a7c28d39-7bed-4ace-8f99-7b8a9e769445">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah and most of the people doing it have kids! WTF?
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

Oh yea, that killed me last night with the friend who made the ridiculous comment i mentioned before. She told me, "You have a beautiful little boy, I would hope that you would be willing to at least change your picture for him because I know you'd do anything in your power to stop someone trying to hurt him." I was just like WHAAA? I have a kid and I know that a picture of Tinkerbell or Strawberry Shortcake will not keep my child safe from the world. That is my job to destroy anyone who tries to compromise his safety. cartoon character =/= my kids safety.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I posted something about after I got a message from a HS friend of mine, that said "Why aren't you doing the cartoon for child abuse awareness? Wasn't CPS called to your house when you were younger?"

Why, yes, that is true. HENCE, the reason why I'm NOT changing my profile picture to that of a cartoon.

I got multiple people telling me to lighten up, and not be so negative. I completely flipped out.

• Options
    P.S. If one of you ladies wants to tell my cousin she's full of shiit with a LMGTFY link, I'm fine with it.
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:405c6e88-3685-42fb-b6a1-2ac585247374">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all : Oh yea, that killed me last night with the friend who made the ridiculous comment i mentioned before. She told me, "You have a beautiful little boy, I would hope that you would be willing to at least change your picture for him because I know you'd do anything in your power to stop someone trying to hurt him." I was just like WHAAA? I have a kid and I know that a picture of Tinkerbell or Strawberry Shortcake will not keep my child safe from the world. That is my job to destroy anyone who tries to compromise his safety. cartoon character =/= my kids safety.
    Posted by cha+ching[/QUOTE]

Wow, how insulting of her. Fuckher!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:b23e586f-141a-47b2-a9f4-7bbf2285f08a">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]I posted something about after I got a message from a HS friend of mine, that said "Why aren't you doing the cartoon for child abuse awareness? Wasn't CPS called to your house when you were younger?" Why, yes, that is true. HENCE, the reason why I'm NOT changing my profile picture to that of a cartoon. I got multiple people telling me to lighten up, and not be so negative. I completely flipped out.
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]
    God people are assholes.
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cartoons-stop-child-abuse-yall?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6dfab6d-5693-4da7-a8d1-4349d5039c01Post:b23e586f-141a-47b2-a9f4-7bbf2285f08a">Re: Cartoons stop child abuse Y'all</a>:
    [QUOTE]I posted something about after I got a message from a HS friend of mine, that said "Why aren't you doing the cartoon for child abuse awareness? Wasn't CPS called to your house when you were younger?" Why, yes, that is true. HENCE, the reason why I'm NOT changing my profile picture to that of a cartoon. I got multiple people telling me to lighten up, and not be so negative. I completely flipped out.
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]

You should tell them to get more srious about the subject at hand and actually do something. JFC.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards