Not Engaged Yet

Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off

I was hanging out with a good friend last night (New season of The Office! We had to get together) and she was talking about how she was asked to be in this girl's wedding. (I've talked about her before, the one who is super immature and just complains about her parents) I guess when the girl was talking to my friend she was compaining that her parents said a venue was too expensive (food would have cost around $65,000) and that she didn't want her wedding to be cheap and cheasy. And now my friend feels like crap because at her sisters wedding the whole thing cost $6,000 and she knows she would never be able to afford a super expensive wedding (and I told her I wouldn't either!)

I told her it was stupid to think that just because a wedding cost more didn't mean it was better, I don't think I really got through to her though. Ugh...it just pisses me off how rude some people are. I think this girl is a B*tch and hides it by acting super naive and kind of dumb. Everyone thinks she is so sweet and just doesn't know how spoiled she acts but I say whether she knows it or not this girl is a spoiled little bratt who thinks she can always get her way and once she gets into the real world without her parents money she is going to have some big problems. I guess its a good thing I don't see her too often.

Do you guys know anyone like this?

Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off

• alyzzle11alyzzle11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugggh, yes.  A girl I went to high school with was like that.  She was one of the "rich kids," and her parents gave her everything she could ever want.  For example, I think her prom dress cost something like $700.  Anywho, she was also a complete moron.  It wasn't an act either like the girl you know.  In our World History class she said that Paris was in London...yeah. 

I totally get your frustration.  It seems that people like that can never have enough.  I think deep down though, you and your friend are ultimately richer, because your weddings, your families weddings, etc will be about the people, and what it actually means rather than the price tag.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm not jealous of her in the slightest but I am mad that she made my friend feel badly about the fact that she has less money, whether it was intentional or not.

• meamollymeamolly member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I may have vomited a little while reading that article.
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    It's always been my observation that people that have ridiculously expensive weddings like that are just focused on the wedding and not the marriage, and when the wedding is all done and over with, the marriage is usually done soon after.

A friend of a friend spent almost $75K on her wedding.  Parents helped pay for most of it, but she paid for her dress, which was $14K (and that's in addition to the $75K) and put it on her credit card.  They were married for less than a year and it ended in an ugly divorce...and she is STILL paying off her dress, more than 3 years after their wedding.

I think people like that feel the need to flaunt their money because they have absolutely nothing else going for them.  It gives them a sense of importance and status, when in fact, they are just using money to hide their insecurities about themselves.
    Anniversary
  • HeartOverMindHeartOverMind member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_spoiled-bratty-rich-kids-piss-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:05039791-9ad9-4499-8603-6314e85e1472Post:663b2f6e-f86f-44c5-8b14-f0872b73e6f4">Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I may have vomited a little while reading that article.
    Posted by meamolly[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

It was disgusting and she looked like a tramp!
    "Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?" ~~~Scarlett O'Hara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_spoiled-bratty-rich-kids-piss-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:05039791-9ad9-4499-8603-6314e85e1472Post:38cf6c29-7004-4c71-8a4e-10844b679959">Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's always been my observation that people that have ridiculously expensive weddings like that are just focused on the wedding and not the marriage, and when the wedding is all done and over with, the marriage is usually done soon after. A friend of a friend spent almost $75K on her wedding.  Parents helped pay for most of it, but she paid for her dress, which was $14K (and that's in addition to the $75K) and put it on her credit card.  They were married for less than a year and it ended in an ugly divorce...and she is STILL paying off her dress, more than 3 years after their wedding. I think people like that feel the need to flaunt their money because they have absolutely nothing else going for them.  It gives them a sense of importance and status, when in fact, they are just using money to hide their insecurities about themselves.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%
    More money =/= a better wedding either. I'm a big believer in simple elegance.

• meamollymeamolly member
    edited December 2011
    I am hoping not to spend more than 15,000 all in all when it does come to a wedding. I know I could do it for less even. I dont know why but that has always been the figure in my head. So when I see figures more than that it just seems like so much. I can only imagine what i would be able to do with over ten times that budget. I would invite everyone I wanted there instead of just the most very important people. I would hire the same photographer but get a bigger package. Same dress cause I still would not be able to spend more than a $1000 on my dress ( cant get myself to buy a party dress for 100 so...) I guess the wedding would be pretty much the same, the rest would just go to a house, two cars and then savings.
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I ran into kids like that when I worked in Manhattan Beach, Ca and especially here in Orange County, CA.  I feel really awkward sometimes when I'm driving my lil toyota through a neighborhood where the cheapest looking car is a decked out landrover and the kids and teenagers I have to deal with go through designer purses like they're canvas totes.  I just don't heed them any attention, more money just means someone is getting paid more than their worth.  I hope your friend is able to see that in the end money doesn't equal better.  I am sorry to hear that she feel bummed by it.  She shouldn't. 
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not going to lie - I'm jealous of people that have that kind of money to spend on a wedding.  I'm not jealous because I'd like that for my wedding...I'm jealous because I'd use it to pay off our debts, pay for the wedding, a kick ass honeymoon and a down payment on a house.   SO much money wasted.  Makes me sick.

My wedding will be under $10,000.  My goal is to have it under $8,000...and I think it's do-able.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
    edited December 2011
    I might be jealous if it weren't mommy and daddy's money. But I know what you are saying paige, it would be nice to use that money for so many other things, on a big party it seems so wasted.

• breezerbbreezerb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This reminds me of MTV's My Super Sweet Sixteen... I was forced to watch this show at a friends house last week.  It's following a snotty rich kid planning their 16th birthday party.  That episode had a girl whose dad forked over 350k for her party... 350K!!!!!!! For a Birthday!!!!! 

I wanted to throw up and punch her father at the same time. No wonder some of these kids don't have values, they weren't taught any to begin with.  
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

*No pony, no I do!*
  • HeartOverMindHeartOverMind member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_spoiled-bratty-rich-kids-piss-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:05039791-9ad9-4499-8603-6314e85e1472Post:215d60fe-06ae-4d72-8d84-99ba36536cd2">Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]This reminds me of MTV's My Super Sweet Sixteen... I was forced to watch this show at a friends house last week.  It's following a snotty rich kid planning their 16th birthday party.  That episode had a girl whose dad forked over 350k for her party... 350K!!!!!!! For a Birthday!!!!!  I wanted to throw up and punch her father at the same time. No wonder some of these kids don't have values, they weren't taught any to begin with.  
    Posted by breezerb[/QUOTE]

OMG! I know, that show is ridiculous. Some of those people on that show cry when they don't get a brand-new car on the day of their birthday, but their parents end up getting it for the stupid narcissism fest aka Sweet 16 Party anyway.

I feel sorry for people who love money and think that it truly can buy them anything they lack, like love and friends. Pathetic.
    "Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?" ~~~Scarlett O'Hara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It makes me SICK to think of all the children who could be fed and educated with $350k.

What the hell is WRONG with people that it's okay to spend that kind of money on a PARTY when there are people on this planet who don't have access to CLEAN FUUCKING WATER?

Seriously, if I had even a quarter million, I'd invest about $50k, pay off my debt, put something down on a house, and HAPPILY give away the rest.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are definitely people who have money who don't appreciate it, and don't realize the value of a dollar.  But on these boards, I feel like if you are (or will someday) planning a wedding that is more than $15,000, then you get judged on these boards.  Just to play devils advocate, it's one thing if the bride pays $14,000 on her dress and then cheaps out on the food and drink.  Sure, there's a level that is just excessive and unnecessary (if you have that much money, then donate some of it) but there's plenty of weddings in the $30-50k range that are very focused on the guests, the bride & groom don't take it for granted and make sure the money is put towards a great experience for everyone.  Even when the parents pay.  It's the girls who think their parents HAVE to pay, or that they DESERVE a $100,000 wedding when I judge, but I would never judge someone simply based on the amount they spent on a wedding - how they spend that money (if it's selfish rather than for a kick-ass party, or at the expense of other financial obligations, like going into severe debt) is where I'd judge.

Just my 2 cents.  And you all are welcome to judge that a) my parents will be paying for most of our wedding, and b) my budget will be in that range somewhere.

Anniversary

• alyzzle11alyzzle11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_spoiled-bratty-rich-kids-piss-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:05039791-9ad9-4499-8603-6314e85e1472Post:98e708f8-1523-4534-8d26-d9dc0f95a7ec">Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just my 2 cents.  And you all are welcome to judge that a) my parents will be paying for most of our wedding, and b) my budget will be in that range somewhere.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

I think the difference is that the girl Beth was talking about felt entitled to the money.  She was upset that the parents wouldn't pay that much.  Having the means to have your dream wedding is fine by me. 

I'd be torn though.  If someone said, "Here's X amount of money spend this solely on a wedding," well then I probably would.  If they said, however, "Here's the same amount of money, spend it on whatever," I'd probably have a much more conservative wedding and spend the money on higher priority things like minimizing debt and a down payment on a house.</div>
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_spoiled-bratty-rich-kids-piss-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:05039791-9ad9-4499-8603-6314e85e1472Post:98e708f8-1523-4534-8d26-d9dc0f95a7ec">Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off</a>:
    [QUOTE] but there's plenty of weddings in the $30-50k range that are very focused on the guests, the bride & groom don't take it for granted and make sure the money is put towards a great experience for everyone.  Even when the parents pay.  It's the girls who think their parents HAVE to pay, or that they DESERVE a $100,000 wedding when I judge, but I would never judge someone simply based on the amount they spent on a wedding - how they spend that money (if it's selfish rather than for a kick-ass party, or at the expense of other financial obligations, like going into severe debt) is where I'd judge. Just my 2 cents.  And you all are welcome to judge that a) my parents will be paying for most of our wedding, and b) my budget will be in that range somewhere.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

I agree with this setiment but I'm not talking about $30-50k...its more than that and after hearing this girl complain and whine about her parents its completely obvious she believes she deserves a $100,000 wedding and the fact that she acts like anything less than that is crap pisses me off. I agree with you that some people have the money to spend on an expensive wedding its thier money and they can do what they want, I would never presume to tell someone how to spend thier money. BUT the way a person behaves and the way they treat other people who have less that pisses me off. Its fine to have an expensive wedding but don't act like one that cost less is less of a wedding, less elegant, less of anything just because you spent more money - ESPECIALLY if its your parents money and not yours.

And I think its fine if your parents want to help you out thats not the problem I have with the whole situation, its the fact that this girl obviously feels entitled and thinks everything should be handed to her and that her parents owe her this wedding instead of being grateful and realizing that if her parents weren't paying she would be getting married in a courthouse (I don't have anything against courthouse weddings for those that choose them btw) because her and her FI have no money.

• leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    $14k for a dress?? I'm sure there are plenty around, but my credit card limit is only $10k (and I thought that was pretty darn good!).

I'm not a fan of spoiled rich kids--I went to college with a lot of them.That's probably why I don't really stay in touch with anyone from college. I did know some nice normal people, but far too many were overprivileged.

I hope people don't think I'm extravagant by budgeting $20k (and if they do, who cares), but according to costofwedding.com, the average in my zipcode is between $22,066 and $36,776. I'd like to spend less, but I don't think FI and I will be able to get the kind of event we want for less (I'm hoping we can get what we want in that budget). I am setting a budget that won't impact my downpayment savings by too much.
  • edited December 2011
    I refuse to believe that article is for real.

My parents will be paying for the majority of my wedding - my mom has already told me the absolute max budget would be $25K, which I think is plenty. Of course, I'm not getting married for at least several years, and life will undoubtedly happen in between now and then and who knows? That number may increase, or it may decrease. I definitely do want to be in a position to be able to help pay for it, especially for frivolous things that I want but do not need.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_spoiled-bratty-rich-kids-piss-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:05039791-9ad9-4499-8603-6314e85e1472Post:2e894ee6-19f2-447e-8a78-4d3a4481e2f6">Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope people don't think I'm extravagant by budgeting $20k (and if they do, who cares), but according to costofwedding.com, the average in my zipcode is between $22,066 and $36,776 . I'd like to spend less, but I don't think FI and I will be able to get the kind of event we want for less (I'm hoping we can get what we want in that budget). I am setting a budget that won't impact my downpayment savings by too much.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

Leia - this was my thought, each area is going to have a different average of what is spent on a wedding.  The average in your area is in the ballpark of what my brother & SIL spent on their wedding 8 years ago.  They paid for just about everything themselves. 

On the other hand, I have known since I was a little girl that my parents intended to pay for my wedding.  My FI and I are so incredibly grateful to my parents for doing this because we know that we couldn't afford the wedding we're having on our own at this point.  FI and I are both so frugal (esp me) that I've been able to find some incredible deals that are making everyone happy (esp my parent's checkbook).  There have been a few times that my mom has had to convince me it was ok to buy some things (like a $3 bunch of silk flowers or the $9 button-up shirt we found yesterday that will be perfect for getting ready the morning of the wedding - I don't own casual button up shirts).

My mom and I did a quick figuring the other day of what was being spent so far and approximations of what we still needed to spend (ie - rehearsal dinner - FI's parents haven't offered and my parents said they don't expect them to since they have travel expenses) and we will definitely come in at under $10,000 - guest list is around 150.  My mom told me she fully expected and planned to pay almost twice that much.

I think it's sad that some girls expect their parents to go into debt and spend more than my house costs for their weddings.  I'm not saying they shouldn't have their dream day.  It's ingrained into our minds from the time we're little girls that we'll have a fairy tale day for our weddings.  Life is too short and stressful to not allow ourselves to make at least some of those dreams come true, but there are ways to make those dreams come true without going broke.
    edited December 2011
    Have you guys ever seen that show "You're Cut Off" on MTV?  OMG it was hilarious.  All these rich little brats got cut off by their parents and one girl started crying because she didn't understand...her exact words were "But I deserve everything".  I really wish I could have bitch-slapped every single one of them.

On the other note, there is a difference between having a nice average wedding (costs between $20K-$40K depending on where you are) and feeling entitled to have an EXTRAVAGENT wedding...especially when you don't have an extravagent income.  I personally couldn't spend more than $10K on a wedding because I would much rather use that money on traveling, but I don't for a second judge anyone has the means and desire to spend more (unless of course they complain about having such a small, limited $40K budget and "how am I going to have my pretty princess day for ONLY $40K" and "my parents should be spending waaaayy more on me because I deserve it" etc)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Calindi, I agree about the bias against those with larger budgets.   I wouldn't choose to spend my money that way.  My family doesn't have that kind of extra money laying around.  So, it's not something I've ever considered for myself.  Actually, I'm surprised at how much I'm spending now because I never really thought about weddings and marriage until I met FI.  I don't judge those with larger budgets.  Also, living in a HCOL area, I realize that sometimes larger budgets doesn't mean extravagance.

As for the OP, I think that demanding that your parents spend more than what they are comfortable with (wether they have the money or not) is wrong.  If you are lucky enough to have your parents gift you a wedding, then you graciously accept what they offer.  If there are things that you really much have above what they are willing to pay for, you put out the money yourself.  I hate that sense of entitlement.  BTW, I know plenty of entitled people with very little money.  
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I agree with you guys: if you want to spend a lot of money on a wedding go for it, it's your choice. But don't rub it in peoples' faces or make stupid remarks like "OMG can you IMAGINE being cheap by spending less thean $30k???" Big difference. It does bug me when people think they're entitled to money that isn't theirs.

Actually, I'm working on investing some of my money right now. It isn't very much, but I figured why not? I'm trying to start savings anyways and it'll do more good if its invested instead of just sitting around. I'll admit: I was prompted to do this once I realized how expensive weddings/HOUSES are. I'd like to have both some day, and decided I'm old enough to start seriously saving.
  • edited December 2011
    Good for you Bren...always a good idea to save money, no matter how much you start with.

I just saw a commercial for tonight's Four Weddings and it reminded me that one of the girls on last week's episode sounds just like the OP girl.  She complained about everyone else's weddings and snubbed them 'cause they weren't spending as much as she was. She even looked like she was getting grossed out by stuff from the dollar store (I love the stuff I've gotten at the dollar store for my wedding - why spend a ton of money on artificial flower petals that you're just going to step all over when you can get them at the dollar store?)...I love it though, 'cause she came in last in the contest.
  • KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    edited December 2011
    If you have the money I see nothing wrong with it.  My parents want to pay for my wedding, and they want to make a big deal of it.  That is their choice, and I'm grateful.  They should not be expected to pay for someone's food or education instead, that's a silly comment.  Yes, they could do other things with their money, but they worked hard for their money, and want to have a party, so they can. 

I'm not saying I'm entitled to it or something, but there is nothing wrong with having a big wedding if you can afford it. 
  • edited December 2011

Weddings are expensive!!  Exactly why we are waiting for almost 3 years for our wedding since we will be paying for almost all of it ourselves!  Coming up with a round-about budget of 20-25K is average for our area.  That will take us at least 2 years to build up in cash as we don't want to take out loans and use credit to pay for our wedding.  The best way to start out your lives together is with as little debt as possible to contend with.  These spoiled brides are out of thier minds, if my folks were willing to just give me 65K to spend on a wedding I would honestly invest most of it or pay off a good chunk of my mortgage and have a beautiful simple wedding instead.  It is only one day...I know it is the most important day of your life, but is it really worth wasting away that much cash in today's economy?  I don't think so...but once again I am merely a flight attendant lol 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_spoiled-bratty-rich-kids-piss-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:05039791-9ad9-4499-8603-6314e85e1472Post:ece9212a-8938-45a4-8dd4-7f396d29752b">Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Weddings are expensive!!</strong>  Exactly why we are waiting for almost 3 years for our wedding since we will be paying for almost all of it ourselves!  Coming up with a round-about budget of 20-25K is average for our area.  That will take us at least 2 years to build up in cash as we don't want to take out loans and use credit to pay for our wedding.  The best way to start out your lives together is with as little debt as possible to contend with.  These spoiled brides are out of thier minds, if my folks were willing to just give me 65K to spend on a wedding I would honestly invest most of it or pay off a good chunk of my mortgage and have a beautiful simple wedding instead.  It is only one day...I know it is the most important day of your life, but is it really worth wasting away that much cash in today's economy?  I don't think so...but once again I am merely a flight attendant lol 
    Posted by cruisebunny7[/QUOTE]

Well, wedding's don't HAVE to be expensive. But I understand what you're saying. I just hate that expression.
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    See, I'm a math dork.  When I'm planning my own wedding someday, I intend on trying to make it an awesome wedding with a super cheap cost.  Except food, cause um...I love food.

As for the wedding I'm in currently, she's going to make me go broke.  So I probably won't even have money for a wedding if/when I ever have my own ;)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_spoiled-bratty-rich-kids-piss-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:05039791-9ad9-4499-8603-6314e85e1472Post:e91fb2e1-197b-4841-a5ae-e397fbd02355">Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]See, I'm a math dork.  When I'm planning my own wedding someday, I intend on trying to make it an awesome wedding with a super cheap cost.  Except food, cause um...I love food. As for the wedding I'm in currently, she's going to make me go broke.  So I probably won't even have money for a wedding if/when I ever have my own ;)
    Posted by Blue & White[/QUOTE]

Ugh...the only thing I hate more than people who expect for their parents to pay for everything and wipe their asses are the people who expect their FRIENDS to pay for everything and wipe their asses.  My FI is in a wedding in a few months and the groom is literally demanding this all-out ridiculous bachelor party that he's expecting all the groomsman to pay for.

I think that if you agree to be in a wedding, you are doing the couple a favor.  All they should expect of you is for you to be their to witness their vows, not throw them expensive parties, wait on them hand and foot, etc.  Also, if they want some crazy-expensive dress that's way out of your budget, they should be covering the cost.  And this is true whether your wedding budget is $3K or $30K.  I just don't see the point in going broke for someone elses wedding.  Ever.
    Anniversary
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_spoiled-bratty-rich-kids-piss-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:05039791-9ad9-4499-8603-6314e85e1472Post:4adaac0e-100f-4728-9810-1c1662fc7af0">Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off : Ugh...the only thing I hate more than people who expect for their parents to pay for everything and wipe their asses are the people who expect their FRIENDS to pay for everything and wipe their asses... I just don't see the point in going broke for someone elses wedding.  Ever.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

This!  And one reason (of about 9,999,998 reasons) why I will NEVER have bridesmaids.  The stuff some people put their friends through for their wedding is ridiculous.  I had a friend use up all of her vacation, savings, and even put stuff on the credit card to fund a $300 dress, multiple trips down to Savannah for the bride's multiple showers, then one very expensive bachelorette party (mandated by the bride) to New York City for a long weekend.  Yeah, the bride said to her (in not so many words), "We're goin to New York City for 3 days for my bachelorette.  Oh, and you're MOH, so you're paying for me."  Uh... NO!

And in regards to my previous post, what I'm saying is that there is a lot of venom around here for girls with budgets that are average to medium-high, and especially if they accept that money from their parents.  My father has made it perfectly clear that we have to pay for our own honeymoon, and we've decided that we'll host our own rehearsal dinner.  Other than that, my parents want to pay for it.  And we see a lot of glorifying small budgets, and I'm honestly impressed with people who have a fantastic wedding for $10k or less - one of my friends recently had one of THE most beautiful weddings I've ever seen for only $5k for 100 people.  (It was gorgeous, and if anyone wants a vintage outdoorsy feeling, I'll see if I can post some pics for you).   But just try to remember that not everyone who has an expensive wedding is a brat, and don't let envy affect your judgement (Goldie had a good point - how you've grown up envisoning your wedding often has to do with what you think you'll be able to afford, so for some people they know from the beginning it will be a bit higher budget).  Sure, it's a little easier to plan a wedding with a higher budget - you get more choices, you don't have to compromise as much, but it certainly does not necessarily make a nicer wedding.

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    I don't think everyone with a large wedding budget is a brat, I think this girl is a brat. She feels entitled and disregards other people's feelings. And I don't really care that her parents are paying, its that she is ungrateful, I think its fine to except money from your parents as long as you are willing to accept the strings that come attached with said money. I don't have sympathy for people who accept their parents money and then complain that their parents have a say in what goes on in the wedding planning.

Also, I take offense that you think envy clouds my judgement. I'm not jealous. BF and I have discussed that we don't want my parents to pay for the wedding (and they have always told me they would) because we don't want the strings that would undoubtedly come with it. I don't have expensive taste so she has nothing I want. Her entire wedding planning process has been hell because her parents are paying and there are a lot of stings attached with that money. There is nothing to be jealous of IMO.

This post wasn't meant to judge those with higher budgets but I wanted to vent about a girl who hurt my friend with her obvious disregard for people's feelings. Rich kids don't piss me off, I have friends that have money but they don't treat other people like they are less because they don't have as much. Its the "spoiled" and "bratty" part that pisses me off but in this particular case her parents have money that she feels entitled to, thus the "rich".

Also, as a side note I don't get your "This is why I'm never having bridesmaids" thing. I don't really care if you don't but just because other people treat their bridesmaids like crap doesn't mean you would or that all brides do. Its just whenever you say something like that I'm always confused because I don't understand why how someone else treats people effects the way you would treat your BMs. But again its a personal choice to have or not have a bridal party, its not that part that confuses me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards