Wedding Invitations & Paper

FAQs & Invitations Faux Paus

Re: FAQs & Invitations Faux Paus

• How do you word an envelope in this situation?

An unmarried couple with a roommate... Does the couple and roommate each get an invite or could we put all 3 names on one invite since it's going to the same address?

Also, would it be considered improper or just modern to address most invites this way: Ms Jane & Mr John Smith OR Jane & John Smith. Most guests may not understand the formality of "no ladies first names" and such.

Thanks,
    -Monica
  • Hey do you think it's tacky to get a invitation kit from michaels for inviting the people on the "b" list? I mean i know x amount of relatives won't come but there are others that want to get an invite.. You get what I'm trying to say? I have a invite order of 96 but there are others that are coming to mind as my fancy invites are out to print! Thoughts? Yay or nay?
  • My husband and I were married two years ago by a Justice of the Peace, but we never had a wedding. We are now able to afford everything we want, so we're having a formal ceremony and reception. So... am I inviting people to wedding, or do I have to call it a vow renewal?
  • do you send your registry cards with your save the dates? and if not where do you put your registry info?
  • to the 2 people who wrote about non traditional invitates:  
    I wanted to make sure that I am clear on how you are handling the RSVP and invitations. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.  Are you putting the web site address at the bottom of your invitation with request to RSVP to the websitexxx.com?  Then include all the details of RSVP, registry, etc on the web site. Does that mean you will only have one outside envelope and one invitation card and nothing else being mailed with the invitation?      How do you handle the option of the invitations going to a small group and the web site being viewed by a broader group of friends?  I assume when someone goes to the web site, they would see where they should RSVP to the wedding when they weren't invited.  Can you clarify?   
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_faqs-invitations-faux-paus-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e4ae8048-5357-4ab0-a816-d42e143286ccPost:55f9a258-bcc9-4e85-89fb-71108b0b9ea1">Re: FAQs & Invitations Faux Paus</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a few questions, too. 1) If there are 3 people in a house, and 2 are a couple, with 1 roommate, can I send only one STD to the house to save paper/postage? Obviously, though, when formal invites go out, I will send 2 invites, one for the couple and one for the roommate + guest.[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hey, this is us! My fiance and I live together and his brother is living with us for a year. We believe one Save the Date card for the whole household is appropriate. After all, we all share the same fridge and that's where those go, right? Just be sure to address it to all of the people in the household who will be invited.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • I think that it is ok to send registery cards with your STDs. Some people send them with the invites and thats fine by me but I also know A LOT of people find that "tacky"  Some also just leave it to the grapevine to get word out about where they are registered! Another great time to send it out is in your bridal shower invites! Hope this helps you! :) Also hope your wedding is as beautiful as you imagine!
  • How early do I need to send out the invites? 
    Is there a certain time frame? Is 4 months too early or should I wait?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_faqs-invitations-faux-paus-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e4ae8048-5357-4ab0-a816-d42e143286ccPost:f82a7995-4562-4dff-9bc2-8eb1e8ac889d">Re: FAQs & Invitations Faux Paus</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FAQs & Invitations Faux Paus : Single doesn't just mean "not married", right?  Guests who are married, engaged, or living together absolutely must be invited with their SO.  Also, "significant" relationships should be respected - and it's up to the people in the relationship to determine if it's significant.    If you know for sure they're not seeing anyone, you don't have to give them an "and guest", but if they have a boyfriend or girlfriend, you really should invite the couple together.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

My fiance and I drew the line at people who had been dating for 6 months at the time of STD sending could both be invited to the wedding.  I'm still kind of miffed at a friend of my fiance's who invited him to their wedding in a second wave of invitations (because apparently not enough people RSVPed to fill their reception hall) AND did not invite me, despite the fact that my fiance and I had been dating (not engaged yet) longer than the couple that was getting married.  Originally I had told my fiance that his friend but not his wife could come to our wedding (I wasn't 100% serious) but I backed off and they are both invited to our wedding. If you're really tight on numbers, you can draw the line at relationships that have lasted at least a year. Whatever limit you choose, apply it consistently and don't make exceptions for "Oh but he's never had a girlfriend and he says she's the one!" because someone else who didn't get the benefit of some sort of exception might be miffed.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_faqs-invitations-faux-paus-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e4ae8048-5357-4ab0-a816-d42e143286ccPost:adcd168c-0f44-45d7-98c8-37b4298862a1">Re: FAQs & Invitations Faux Paus</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FAQs & Invitations Faux Paus : Isn't there a way that someone else can do those chores?  It's actually rather rude to leave your guests waiting around with nothing to do at the same place. You should be specific on the ceremony invitation and the reception card with the time that each event begins.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

A lot of Catholic weddings have a large gap between the ceremony and the reception (if it's during the dinner hour) because Catholic churches generally won't do ceremonies any later than 2 or maybe even 3 PM.  Therefore, if your reception isn't starting until 5, there's not a whole lot you can do.  Will the church allow you to cater some food for the in-between time in a meeting hall?  Most people won't mind some waiting if they're being fed.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_faqs-invitations-faux-paus-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e4ae8048-5357-4ab0-a816-d42e143286ccPost:f537753c-ff2b-4c29-9ee7-ffdcded0a770">Re: FAQs & Invitations Faux Paus</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband and I were married two years ago by a Justice of the Peace, but we never had a wedding. We are now able to afford everything we want, so we're having a formal ceremony and reception. So... am I inviting people to wedding, or do I have to call it a vow renewal?
    Posted by gruntswife[/QUOTE]

Definitely vow renewal, but I disagree with the other post. Have all the parties, and first dance, and formalities that you want because you are finally able to do it the way you want. Yes your a wife already so maybe no on the shower, (because of the gifts) but everything else definitely. The people you have there will understand why you are doing it this way and if they dont you shouldn't want them there anyway. A justice of the peace isn't a wedding and you should have what you want.
  • We haven't decided if we are inviting kids to our wedding next May, but if so i am curious about one thing.   My cousin is a single mom of three kids, now if we do not invite the kids we will for sure invite my cousin with a guest(date).  My question is if we invite the kids do I still have to invite her with a guest?  She is not currently dating anyone but if I invite her single sister with a guest, and not her, what will that look like?  Please help, I am new to all this weddiing ettiquette.
  • edited June 2012
    Such a cute invite idea! www.youtoon.com
  • (psst - it's actually spelled Faux Pas - it's French, meaning "not", "no-no")
    :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_faqs-invitations-faux-paus-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e4ae8048-5357-4ab0-a816-d42e143286ccPost:28c295c6-3981-4353-82e1-dbb3471975d7">Re: FAQs & Invitations Faux Paus</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about printing labels on the outer envelopes? I do not have the best  handwriting and I think it would be faster since I have all the addresses saved on here anyway?
    Posted by JennRyan0810[/QUOTE]

<div>I know it seems so practical, but it's really not ok. Does one of your bridesmaids have beautiful printing/writing? Could you ply her (or your mom or MIL) with wine and cookies to help you - you could stuff and stamp the envelopes and she could do the writing? </div><div>
    </div><div>Or do you have time (and funds) to take a calligraphy course? It might be fun, and people (especially those who had seen your "before" handwriting) would be really impressed with the effort.</div><div>
    </div><div>If all else fails, just be as careful as you can (and order lots of extra envelopes, in case you spoil some)</div><div>
    </div>
  • I'm so confused and short of time and need to post.  We are 90 days out and I'm ordering my invitations tomorrow.  In order to save money, (FI lost his job 5 weeks ago) I'm thinkig about putting my wedding site on the bottom of the invitations for the RSVP.  Everyone on my list is either on my FB or online - we're a techie family.  Is this okay?  Please note that we're in our late 40's and this is our 2nd marriage so we are relaxing the proper rules somewhat.  This will be cost effective for us.  What do you think?
  • AbukaAbuka member
    First Comment
    PLEASE HELP!!! Do I have to include a reception card with the invitation? I'm having a formal reception from 3-6 and then a "after party" reception to stagger the guests due to space limitations. I was going to invite some to the formal and others to the "after party reception". This would mean that I would need two different reception invitation cards. Or, can I just use the invitation with the words, "reception to follow ceremony" and the address for those invited to the formal reception? And a reception invitation with the later time.
    Thanks,
    very confused.
  • FI and I are going away and getting married just the 2 of us - I hesitate to call it an elopment because people know we are doing this.  We are planning a party for 5 weeks after the actual wedding day.  Any ideas for creative wording for the invitation?  The catch is that we would also like to send them out before we actually get married because of the timing and we wanted to give people enough notice for planning (have seen samples when the invite comes out after the wedding).  This will not be a traditional wedding reception, but more of a party with dinner, drinks, dancing at a nice restaurant that we have rented for the evening.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

• We have invitations with inserts (3) to be exact. One for the reply, one with hotel accomodations and one for directions. Is it necessary to include directions to the cerremony place and reception with all the electronics out today? For instance. GPS and/or smartphones with a gps app?
    Just wondering.
  • Who sends out the invitations (parents are paying for most of the wedding)?  Who's return address goes on the invitations?  Would the save the date have the same address?
  • Are save the dates strictly for those guests out of town?  Do I really need to send save the dates and are they necessary?  There is only one person who is coming from out of state.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having a very DIY backyard wedding reception and a few friends have offered to lend their services (photography and coordinating). If I'm offering to pay them (which they may not accept, in which case I'll give them a gift of some sort), do I send them STD's and invitations? Thanks!
  • Financial contributions have no place in determining whose name goes on an invitation.
  • A friend is having their ceremony and reception at the aquarium and is worried that people who are not invited guests will try to "crash." Is it ok to tell guests that they must present their invitation to the police officer at the door or they will not be allowed to attend, or would that be in bad taste? If it's ok, can you do it for any wedding reception, or just for wedding receptions that are being held at more upscale/ritzy venues?
  • Would you make use of a service provided by an online stationary shop that makes mailing invitations easy?? In addition to selling really nice invitation cards, they mail wedding invitations directly to the guests? so in other words, i don't have to look for free labor from  my freinds and family to help stuff envelops :) and waste a lot of time printing lables, stuffing and mailing invitations. How much is appropriate for such service per invitation card including stamps?3 dollars more per card? Please let me known what you think?
  • I am making my own invitations and reply cards. Can I print the accomodations information and directions/map on the back of the wedding invite? Or should it be on a separate card? The ceremony/reception/accomodations are all at the same hotel.
    Thank you!!
  • I have a good friend who lives in Japan.  I do not know how to write in Japanese characters to address the envelope.  I could get her to send me her address in Japanese, but I'm worried I'm going to horribly mangle it while trying to copy it to the point where it'll never get to her because the Japanese post office won't be able to read my attempts at writing in Japanese (and the US post office won't be able to read it either, for different reasons), nevermind figuring out the return postage on the RSVP and the sheer amount of time it'll take for the invitation to get there.

Anyone else been in this situation? Would it be completely tacky to just email her a PDF of my invitation? 
  • Hi Everyone,

We are having a "destination wedding", we live in Florida and the wedding is in the Florida Keys.  When should we send out the invites?  I want to give everyone lots of time to book their rooms and make their travel plans.  Just so you know, our wedding is also close to a major holiday, wedding is July 6th. 

Thanks for any advice and help,

Nicol
  • Wedding invites should generally be sent out 6 to 12 weeks before the wedding.  There is nothing wrong with leting those that may need warning then that about the details of the wedding via a more casual means, i.e. email, phone call etc. 

Save the dates are a handy way to get the word out, but be cautious as everyone who is sent a STD should also then be sent and invite.  A lot can change in 6-18 months, in relationships and as far as how many you can invite.  They are really not needed, but if you want to send them out, do so 6-12 months out... any less then six months and they are just too close to the invites to do any good. 

Wedding websites are really good tools to use to get out wedding info and are easily created through the knot or using a blogging software.  You can reference them on the invite, STD or include a seperate small card with something along the lines of "For accomidation and other information please see our wedding website".  You can also include your registry information on the site as a nice way of letting others know in a polite way. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards