Snarky Brides

So tired of hearing this.

13»

Re: So tired of hearing this.

• I get the so he needs a sugga mama crap all the time or the sugga daddy jokes. They arent funny and they are mostly from my coworkers who know both of us... and people always give us crap for splitting all the bills down the middle we each pay half and it works for us.. I am so sick of people saying why dont you just get a JOINT checking acct... because we dont want too right now my goodness its our money and this is the way we handle it.. But I have heard all the ball and chain jokes and the run while you can.. one of my coworkers even said " he aint native so in 5 years ull be running for a native cuz hell be (excuse the lang.) limp d***" I was so offended the guy is native american himself and was joking but still!! I am sick of it!
  • i totally understand im 18 & my FI is 21 he purposed in december 2009 so everyone is "oh wow are you ready for this?, id be careful, are you sure you LOVE him, what about the fun youll miss out on?," its like okay first of all i wouldnt have said yes if i wasnt ready of course i love him im not an idiot & i have plenty of fun with him i dont need to go out & party why would i go do all that & chance loosing him. sometimes i just want to tell people to shut the heck up. or this is my favorite when some guys hits on me at work i say oh im engaged & they just say wow your to pretty to be engaged or why? its like what do looks have to do with marriage & because i love him you dumb @$$ i mean really people common sense. my parents were married at 16 & 17 & there still together & extremely happy & have 5 kids
  • We don't really get the ball and chain comments. But when I tell people im engaged  the first words out of their mouths is "and how old are you??, and "you want to ruin your life this early" . Yes im young, 21, but really these comments need to stop!, It drive me nuts!  At the beggining I felt like I had to validate why we were getting married, not I just say "old enough to get married'. haha then they begin pulling heir foot out their mouth!

• I've only heard this from disgruntled men. All my female friends say "Congratulations, I'm so happy for you." I chose to ignore the negative comments. I am not going to make their issues, mine.
  • I know how that is!  I'm getting married at 21, and I've heard so many rude comments!  This one woman asked me why I wanted to marry him, and when I responded that I love him, she said, "Hah!  That's no reason to get married!"

Like I'd get married for any other reason?!

I also get the whole "the only reason to get married that young is if there's a baby in the equation."

I don't want kids, I want to be married to the man I love.

People are ridiculous.
  • I get all the "basic" ones too...But the one I hate most is "don't you think you're too young?"
  • My man will be 35 by the time we get married, and most of his friends are either eternally single wanna be rock stars or already married for 10+ years and don't seem thrilled about it.
    So now everyone has these ridiculously clever remarks to make whenever we're around about how 'i got my hooks into him', or 'got him on a lease' and he'd 'better check with the old lady before you take your next piss'. 

Instead of getting frustrated, I"m considering walking down the aisle to 'The Wicked Witch of the West' instead of the bridal march. 
  • I am so with you!!  Other people "When are you getting married?"  April 24th"  other people "Im so sorry...I mean come on???
  • Also getting sick of hearing "Are you getting wedding jitters" every 5 seconds!!
  • I don't really get the "too young" comments anymore...I am 28 and have been married twice already (THAT, however, gets comments..."seriously, divorced TWICE?" "Uh, yes, my second ex was a verbally abusive douchebag...")

When I married said second ex, my brother shook his hand and said "Good luck, man, you're gonna need it."...I knew he was kidding but still...

Since we haven't really started planning, we haven't gotten any comments on our engagement other than "It's about time!"...which is what we've been hearing since we started dating.  My FI and I have known each other since junior high...and this relationship/engagement/marriage has been a LONG TIME COMING!

When people joke with us about getting married in a not-so-nice sense, I come back with some sort of response in reference to, "Well, he's known me for 17 years...if he's been able to put up with me for that long, I'm sure we'll be just fine..."
  • I got the "But why? You're so young!" comment just the other day. The jokes exist between he and I all the time, but I draw the line when it comes to other people. Leave us and our happiness alone.
  • When we announced the engagement, everyone said: "Its about time" - we has been dating for four years at that point. Not one person said congrats until a few weeks later. Whats funny, is this comment is paired with "you are too young". How can it be about time and I am too young at the same time???? I just laugh because I know we have a strong relationship.

I also get the questions about a long engagement. We have family coming from either ends of the country, its a destination wedding, and some people coming from Europe. They all want to be there, so we decided to have a long engagement. This actually worked out since we were able to shop around and get amazing deals on our wedding stuff and were able to get everything we wanted for the big day. It also has allowed us to move twice.

I just tell all of those people who say anything to us, that only time will tell, but at least I get a gorgeous dress out of the deal and some sweet shoes :)
  • Ughh I completely agree with all of these and reading them is actually making me feel MUCH better! Every single day at least one person says "You can still turn back ya know.. its not too late"  ...Like what do they want me to say to that? Oh really? I can, wow I didn't think of that, thanks so much for your thoughtfulness about my life and future.. I guess I'll turn back now, thanks.

And... just need to vent that my MOTHER who is supposed to SUPPORT me tells me once a week that we need to push back our July wedding because we aren't financially ready for marriage and that "money is the biggest factor in a happy marriage"  oh really?? it is??? because I thought it had something to do with love?? News to me... (this is coming from a divorced parent. She's obviously way off. Thanks mom...)

BUT a tiny bit of advise for anyone that's having parental issues... tell them if they don't stop whatever it is that theyre doing, you and your fiance will go to town hall/vegas/wherever and they WONT be invited... it gets them to stop!! :)
  • My darrrrrrrling StepMONSTER is the queen of annoying when it comes to these comments. Yes I love her, and yes, she's been in my life since I was 7, but she is the worlds most negative person when it comes to my future happiness.
    They say a daughter chooses a man like her Father. Well my FI is nothing like my Dad, and thank goodness. I mean I love my Dad and all but he is waaaay too moody for me, and he loves his space (fishing, golf, etc) lol......
    This relationship might work for her but not for me! My FI and I do everything together. Even the wedding stuff! He's as excited to "tie the knot" as I am. When I hear these comments from my stepmonster it's like she's trying to talk me out of my wedding or cause me to second guess myself. I knew my FI was it from day 1 and I told her that!!!!

I just stick with my mom's advice, "ignore her, she's married to your Father!" lol.....
  • I've found the best reply to an innappropriate comment is:

"Pardon?"

When they reply, just say "That's what I thought you said" with as much disdain or as little as you deem appropriate.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_tired-of-hearing-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:48083808-d7a7-4d64-baac-01fcd2f471bcPost:fa788be2-aaf8-4a8f-b3a3-fc6b088a3aa3">Re: So tired of hearing this.</a>:
    [QUOTE]i totally understand im 18 & my FI is 21 he purposed in december 2009 so everyone is "oh wow are you ready for this?, id be careful, are you sure you LOVE him, what about the fun youll miss out on?," its like okay first of all i wouldnt have said yes if i wasnt ready of course i love him im not an idiot & i have plenty of fun with him i dont need to go out & party why would i go do all that & chance loosing him. sometimes i just want to tell people to shut the heck up. or this is my favorite when some guys hits on me at work i say oh im engaged & they just say wow your to pretty to be engaged or why? its like what do looks have to do with marriage & because i love him you dumb @$$ i mean really people common sense. my parents were married at 16 & 17 & there still together & extremely happy & have 5 kids
    Posted by brittney_hausler[/QUOTE]

They may be saying all of this because of your lack of spelling and grammar skills. I'm sorry but you write/ spell like a 10 year old. 18 is young to get married.
  • I AGREE! I'm tired of it as well. I think my FI gets it more than I do though esp with the married guys at work who warn him almost daily "she's gonna change on you man."
    Give me a break! We've known each other for 11 years, dated for 4 and been living together for 3, I'm already set in my ways as is he hence us knowing we're compatiable and ready to get married!
    Misery loves company.
  • My FI keeps getting told, "buy everything you ever wanted now, you'll never be allowed to again."  This is driving me crazy, I don't care if he goes out and buys a golf club while we're married!  I'm not a controling person!
  • absolutely. i actually got "my condolences" how rude.
  • My brother of all people keeps asking if we're still going through with it!
  • I totally agree! My fiance gets the 'run while you can' speach. He always come home and tells me about it while laughing at them. Just because you are unhappy doesn't mean we are! We also get the 'oh, you'll get there' speach A LOT! Seems like misery loves company and because we have an adult relationship, people just can't understand  why we don't fight more and have never broken up!!

What I get the most is wedding planning advice! It seems like the ones that tell you 'make sure you do what makes you happy and don't listen to anyone else' are the ones telling me what to do. I actually had a friend tell me my fiance was too involved in the wedding planning. Are you serious!?! It's not the wedding planning that is stressful, it's the people around us thare are stressful hehe

At least it keeps us entertained LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards