Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?

Hello all,

I am a groom-to be; my fiance told me about this website and an older thread dealing with Honeymoon Registries. The OP in that thread wasn't hugely tactful but was immediately flamed by her fellow wedding enthusiasts for even thinking of creating a Honeymoon Registry. We are planning on creating one and I would like to know why this seems to be generally considered a bad idea. Sorry for resurrecting a topic from a year ago but it is something I would love to hear your thoughts on :)

Initially I wanted no gifts at the wedding at all. I am not a material person and I consider making a registry akin to a child making a Christmas list for Santa. I was told however that a no gift wedding is "unheard of". Our apartment is already crammed full of appliances we don't use and our dishes are piled high. We rarely entertain guests. Really the only thing I can think of that a relative could give us would be some kind of honeymoon memory.

Our honeymoon is in Japan. Neither of us has been and we are super excited. Our plan is to include various tours, restaurants and activities that people can contribute financially to us enjoying. We could even take pictures of us enjoying these things and include them in our thank you cards. It is much more personal than buying a blender (We have 2 blenders already />.<).

Anywho, curious to know your thoughts. Unlike the OP from the thread that inspired this one I don't impose any restrictions. Feel free to make any comment you want :)

Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?

• Options
    Hello! 

There is a "sticky" at the top of this board with a lot of information about honeymoon registries. 

The main reasons people are against them are that it is considered deceptive (you may register for a specific tour or show, but what you actually get is cash), the honeymoon registry takes a percentage of the gift as a fee, and that they really just aren't necessary. People can give you cash/checks in a card without going through the deceptive hoopla of a honeymoon registry. People who give cash for weddings will do so no matter what, and people who don't give cash for weddings will give you a physical gift (of their own choosing if you don't register) no matter what. 
  • Options
    Also, if you don't entertain and already have a lot of dishes, it is becoming more common these days to register for 'unconventional' items, like camping equipment, board games, etc. As long as it's within reason (i.e., not a giant flatscreen TV) and is something you would use together (i.e., not an iPod or hair dryer), you could register for it. I would consider doing something like that for people who like to give physical gifts. 
  • Options
    Thanks for responding so quickly. Rather than reading previous posts or stickies I was hoping to be able to chat with real people about this, hence my post.

By deceptive are you saying that some people will just pocket the money they get from the honeymoon registry? As I mentioned before we were planning on taking pictures during any event anyone contributes to and including them in thank you cards. My family is big on travel so I think they will get a kick out of it.

We are planning on registering for a couple of things (fiance is trying to sell me on the absolute necessity of bone china) but I think the list of physical items will be small. Why buy someone something as banal as a kitchen set when you can contribute to a once in a lifetime memory such as attending a tea ceremony, touring an ancient castle or going to see a kabuki play?
  • Options
    A no gift wedding is unheard of in the sense that gifts are not required, so by telling people you don't want gifts, it implies that you were expecting gifts or have somehow released guests of an obligation to get you a gift that they didn't have in the first place. 

I think it would be worthwhile to check out the HM registry sticky in this forum to get the basics of how they work and what some common objections are.  The other posts and stickies are contributed to by real people as much as a new thread is.  It's articles on the Knot that are from who knows where. 

If you have a cash registry, it might seem like you won't appreciate other gifts.  Some people just aren't comfortable giving cash, and you should graciously accept whatever they give you.  However, many people give cash as a wedding gift without being asked.  You are free to use those cash gifts however you'd like, and it's nice when you write a thank you note for a cash gift to say what you intend to use it for (e.g. "Thank you so much for your generous gift.  It helped us attend an amazing tea ceremony on our honeymoon."). 
  • Options
    My fiance is telling me that the Honeyfund website does not charge any fee. Assuming this is true then it seems like a fun way for people to contribute to our first big challenge as a couple - navigating the mysterious East (getting around in japan :-P)
  • Options

Many people think it's rude to ask for cash.  Some people don't like being asked to pay for a vacation for you when they cannot afford one for themselves.  Some people are insulted--money is such a common wedding gift, do you think they don't know common wedding practice?  Do you want to take the chance that one of the guests at your wedding--people you really care about treating well and making comfortable--is going to be offended or insulted? 

• Options
    It just baffles me that asking for something we can use is considered wrong whereas asking for an upgrade, more of an afterthought which also seems fairly impersonal, is considered the more proper thing to do.

My first choice is to not have a registry at all but then we will inevitably get flooded with appliances that we already have and dishes we will never use. The whole thing seems so silly; I just want to let people know that we would prefer a memorable experience over something material. I understand that cash is also material but if people are dead set on giving then they may as well give us something we want right?

Also in my eyes the thing that makes asking for cash taboo is that it comes off as impersonal. I think that telling them exactly what the money would be going towards for the honeymoon, complete with pictures, certainly makes the gift even more personal than any kitchen upgrade ever could be.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:cba90506-6b9a-4ea4-af87-e609267e1e65">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance is telling me that the Honeyfund website does not charge any fee. Assuming this is true then it seems like a fun way for people to contribute to our first big challenge as a couple - navigating the mysterious East (getting around in japan :-P)
    Posted by Blueroseknight[/QUOTE]

It's not just the fee.  It's the fact that HMRs are nothing but a big fat lie that you are telling your guests.  They think that they are buying you a dinner for two or whatever is on there.  They are doing no such thing.  They are giving the company that sets it up the money and they in turn give you a check.  These things are nothing more than a cash registry that is dressed up to look like something else.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    If you want cash, then set up a small gift registry.  We did this and the majority of our guests gave checks.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:986adb37-00e2-455a-8938-b7ef13ebb6ae">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Many people think it's rude to ask for cash.  Some people don't like being asked to pay for a vacation for you when they cannot afford one for themselves.  Some people are insulted--money is such a common wedding gift, do you think they don't know common wedding practice?  Do you want to take the chance that one of the guests at your wedding--people you really care about treating well and making comfortable--is going to be offended or insulted? 
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

Naturally I would not want to offend anyone. There is an old fable about a man, a boy and a donkey which taught me when I was very young that you cannot please everyone though. Personally I find the very idea of a registry to be foreign and silly and consider this more of a casual, optional way to contribute to us having a good time as newlyweds.

The whole thing seems kind of like a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of scenario...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:f3f83dea-347c-4d3b-b6fa-9b96f3f4ae22">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : It's not wrong, but it's rude.  A registry is more socially acceptable. The other problem is, is that it's not your guests responsibility to pay for your honeymoon, so asking them to do so is rude.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

We aren't demanding anything; its just a suggestion. No real requirement or responsibility. Would it be less of a breach in etiquette if we didn't use an official registry website but made our own blog or hand made honeymoon registry? That way they know that the money will go where they want it to go?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:81fd3228-3296-4335-985e-498c1bdd60e5">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : Naturally I would not want to offend anyone. There is an old fable about a man, a boy and a donkey which taught me when I was very young that you cannot please everyone though. Personally I find the very idea of a registry to be foreign and silly and consider this more of a casual, optional way to contribute to us having a good time as newlyweds. The whole thing seems kind of like a damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of scenario...

If you don't want to register, you don't have to register.  I don't think that having a HM registry will solve the problem of getting lots of random gifts from people that want to give you a physical gift, though, because it's just offering another way for people to give you cash. 

My H doesn't like to give cash gifts because it's impersonal, so we generally try to find something from the registry or go off-registry if we can find something special, and then we'll also give cash if the gift was less than we were planning to spend.  I would never give through a HM registry.  It doesn't feel more personal, and I would feel it was impolite to give someone a cash gift and try to restrict how they used it. 
  • Options
    As a PP mentioned, many people do not want to pay for someone else's vacation, which is what a honeymoon registry attempts to do.
    You should plan a honeymoon you can afford. We would all love to travel to places with the help of others, but that isn't reality. If you can't afford a trip to Japan now, take a trip you can afford and use some of the cash you will receive at the wedding to plan a future trip.

I personally would not purchase something off a honeymoon registry, even before learning the companies either take a cut or just give people cash. Guests are lead to believe they are purchasing an experience for someone. I'm sure if they knew the bride and groom were just getting a check, they might re-think that gift.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:bf466f8e-63d3-4da2-a3b9-aff20cb80f34">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : But a registry is not foreign and silly. It's sort of expected.  I don't see how it's a damned it you do or don't scenario.

This is how I see things

Gift Registry only - we get some appliances, dishes, towels and other items bought at big box stores which will clutter our already overfilled apartment. I predict said items will be donated in the next few years when we move.

Honeymoon Registry only - relatives and friends will possibly be offended. Wedding ettiquette is breached.

No registry - Complete gift chaos. Blenders will pile up sky high on the wedding gift table.

Mixing gift and honeymoon registry - could work but some people may still be offended and we will also receive items that we dont actually need.
  • Options
    Nope. Don't do it.  Like you probably have read by now, it's just a bit tacky to ask people for money in any form.

Registries are intended for couples who are just starting out on their own who are in need of items that are traditionally given as wedding gifts.

Simply don't register.  Don't do a traditional registry if you and your fiancee honestly don't need anything.  Don't register your honeymoon.  When people ask why you don't have a registry tell them because you don't need any home gifts.  My guess is people will eventually get the hint and if they still do want to give a gift they may elect to give a cash gift instead.

And if you get a new toaster, at least you have a brand spankin' new toaster!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:e84b8269-2126-48b2-b792-facc413d09d0">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nope. Don't do it.  Like you probably have read by now, it's just a bit tacky to ask people for money in any form. Registries are intended for couples who are just starting out on their own who are in need of items that are traditionally given as wedding gifts. Simply don't register.  Don't do a traditional registry if you and your fiancee honestly don't need anything.  Don't register your honeymoon.  When people ask why you don't have a registry tell them because you don't need any home gifts.  My guess is people will eventually get the hint and if they still do want to give a gift they may elect to give a cash gift instead. And if you get a new toaster, at least you have a brand spankin' new toaster!
    Posted by BelleIselle[/QUOTE]

Of all the posts I have seen I think this makes the most sense. Thank you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:58717a81-4d87-4c2c-b63b-344d1756f2ea">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : Can you honestly say you don't need ANYTHING? And quite frankly, you don't seem like you're going to change your mind so why bother asking?

Eh, I just found out about honeymoon registries not very long ago so yes actually, I could change my mind.

Need is such a strong word. We prefer living simply and without a bunch of clutter off the shelves of Walmart, Target, Macys and all of those other stores people buy wedding gifts at. Call me crazy but all we really need is eachother :-D

As for want, we want to have fun memories during the only vacation we will have for a very long time (I get 70 hours off per year, including sick days; my boss is allowing this vacation as a personal favor). If folks want to help us make memories they can, if not then just their presence at the wedding will suffice. I just dont want people to spend some of their money on something we don't want or need and would like to tell them so.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:24807769-c6d7-4051-a58c-fadae9b7baca">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : This is a good point.  If people ask you, I don't see anything wrong with telling them you are saving up for a honeymoon, I just think it's rude to ASK for the money and set up an actual honeymoon fund.

Hmm okay, that is a good idea. Unfortunately almost everyone who is coming to the wedding, at least on my side, I do not speak with on a regular basis. I assume this is not something we should include in the invitation but do you folks have any ideas of how we can politely tell people not to get us household items (because we do not need or really want them). I just feel bad that people would be spending money needlessly so I am ultimately looking for the most polite alternative.
  • Options
    I think you are making a lot of assumptions that people will buy you multiple toasters or blenders. While you may get some if you don't register, you may also get multiple if you do register. The registry is a guideline, nothing more.
    In all the weddings I have gone to, most people bring cash. If you are creating a wedding website, you can also mention something about your desire to travel.
    Liek others have said, peope know cash is an excellent gift.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:0f2340c0-85fa-40ad-89d2-fd619a1eaf63">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : This is how I see things Gift Registry only - we get some appliances, dishes, towels and other items bought at big box stores which will clutter our already overfilled apartment. I predict said items will be donated in the next few years when we move. Honeymoon Registry only - relatives and friends will possibly be offended. Wedding ettiquette is breached. <strong>No registry - Complete gift chaos. Blenders will pile up sky high on the wedding gift table.</strong> Mixing gift and honeymoon registry - could work but some people may still be offended and we will also receive items that we dont actually need.

<div>This is where you logic is flawed.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you don't have a registry at all, people take the hint that you want cash.  Those that are comfortable giving money will write you a check.  Those that aren't comfortable giving money will pick something for you.  And while it might be a blender, you're far more likely to get random gifts, like artwork, lamps, candles, etc.  </div><div>
    </div><div>The thing is, those people that aren't comfortable giving cash aren't going to give to a honeymoon registry.  Those same people will be giving you the same white elephants if you skip the physical registry.</div><div>
    </div><div>People know that money is always an acceptable wedding gift.  People look to registries when they want to give a physical gift.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Just spread the word that you are saving toward the big trip and leave the middleman out of it.  </div>
  • Options

Store registries are a guide for your guests. They are meant to give your guests an idea of what you need to start your lives together.  You put things on there that you need for your kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc.  Do you need to register for everything under the sun?  No, but new sheets, towels are always good to have extras of.  We did not need a bunch of stuff either. We like vintage, so most of our appliances are from the 60's and 70's.  They still work great. We did upgrade our kitchen cookware.

Honeymoon registrys are asking for cash. This is tacky.  You are asking people to pay for something that you don't need nor have to have. Honeymoons are optional.  I should not have to pay for your opulent dream vacation/sex fest.  You do see the difference?  We spent three weeks in China/Thailand.  We paid for the trip ourselves.

You honeymoon register?  I get you a ceramic rooster for your kitchen from the thrift store.  I don't have to be told that you only need cash.  You are not a charity and I am not oblivious to the fact that everyone needs more money.

ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:9701a098-621e-41bf-b333-b93f0db77351">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you are making a lot of assumptions that people will buy you multiple toasters or blenders. While you may get some if you don't register, you may also get multiple if you do register. The registry is a guideline, nothing more. In all the weddings I have gone to, most people bring cash. If you are creating a wedding website, you can also mention something about your desire to travel. Liek others have said, peope know cash is an excellent gift.
    Posted by amymaysa[/QUOTE]

For my birthday I once received two belenders... paranoid about reliving this traumatic experience :-P In all seriousness though I would very much like to not register and have that be that but my mother told me that a registry is seen as a helpful guide for guests. Hence why I gravitated to the honeymoon registry. The wedding website info is a good idea though; perhaps we will just have an informal blurb on there regarding gifts. We would put a link to the wedding website on the invitation though right?

In summary what I'm hearing from you all is that we should:

Not register
    Put on our website that we don't need any household items

Maybe make a registry of household items to appease those who will get us something anyway

Mention saving up for our honeymoon on our wedding website.

Does this sound like the best course of action then?
  • Options
    "Initially I wanted no gifts at the wedding at all. I am not a material person and I consider making a registry akin to a child making a Christmas list for Santa. I was told however that a no gift wedding is "unheard of". Our apartment is already crammed full of appliances we don't use and our dishes are piled high. We rarely entertain guests. Really the only thing I can think of that a relative could give us would be some kind of honeymoon memory." 1) People who do have registries are materialistic? Please reword that better. 2) Kids ask for vacations on their wish lists, too. I asked for Disneyworld every year. How is asking for a vacation any better than asking for something for your house, according to your logic? Both are wish lists. But one doesn't involve asking for cash. If you don't want stuff, don't register for stuff. Easy peasy done. Gifts are intended to help you in your new step together as husband and wife. This doesnt include vacations.
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:1347620b-7856-4e9f-8e86-ab6c6cf8194c">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : In summary what I'm hearing from you all is that we should: Not register Put on our website that we don't need any household items Maybe make a registry of household items to appease those who will get us something anyway Mention saving up for our honeymoon on our wedding website. Does this sound like the best course of action then?

I'd leave off the part where you tell people you don't need anything for your household. It just sounds like you were expecting stuff. Plus, what if someone sees that after they've given you something for your kitchen? Super awkward!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:5f42ed28-365a-42a2-bc0f-fb3ed3f71f22">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : I'd leave off the part where you tell people you don't need anything for your household. It just sounds like you were expecting stuff. Plus, what if someone sees that after they've given you something for your kitchen? Super awkward!
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

I understand; and sorry for any implications; not meaning to call anyone materialistic but I just find asking for stuff to be not my style. My mom led me to beleive that a registry is more or less required for a wedding so I gravitated towards asking for activities rather than items. You are right, they both reflect the same level of materialism. I would strongly prefer folks just show up for the party and not spend a penny.
  • Options
    It's not about asking for stuff though.  I know it feels weird but you have to understand that it's less about you and more about your guests.  Some of your guests will feel compelled to contribute in a tangible way to your new marriage and the start of your new life together- even if you're starting that life in the same apartment where you've been living together for a decade.  The registry helps them choose something they'll feel good about you actually using.

My aunt for example- the second we got engaged was all "when are you registering?  what do you need?  what can I send you?"  The second we registered, she started sending us potholders and paring knives.  It makes her feel good to know she's given us something we use every day.  And I have to say, I think of her when I use the fancy potholders and I smile.  Cheesy but true.

You don't have to register if you don't want to.  But then it makes no sense to create a HM registry that stands alone.  People already know they can give you cash.  I don't hate HM registries, but in your situation I don't see the point.
  • Options
    I know this has all been hashed out, but can I just say I HATE Honeyfund. They put ads on your registry, the concept of someone printing out a page and then mailing you a check is SO dumb and PayPal isn't something even my folks know how to use. I had a friend do Traveler's Joy and tacky or not, I loved that getting her gift took me two seconds and I didn't wrap a thing! Much like I would have bought a store item off a non- honeymoon registry. It's just so much easier (I hate wrapping gifts!). Honeyfund is dumb IMO and if you're gonna do Honeyfund, just do a small registry and let people mail you checks and use that for the honeymoon.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:a7aaeec1-e0c7-4565-8a92-b9eba738a2c5">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]vsgal, I'll give them the cow cream pitcher that moos when they pour it to go with your ceramic rooster cookie jar. Registry info doesn't belong in STDs, either, because they are pre-invitations.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

So if you don't put the wedding website on the STD or the invitation then where do you put it... unfortunately we already sent our STDs out but we were planning on putting the website on the official invites to let guests RSVP electronically. The website will have a link to our registry and a blurb about out honeymoon. Does that sound okay?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:a7aaeec1-e0c7-4565-8a92-b9eba738a2c5">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]vsgal,<strong> I'll give them the cow cream pitcher that moos when they pour it to go with your ceramic rooster cookie jar</strong>. Registry info doesn't belong in STDs, either, because they are pre-invitations.

Ha!  Sounds like a plan.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:a7aaeec1-e0c7-4565-8a92-b9eba738a2c5">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]vsgal,<strong> I'll give them the cow cream pitcher that moos when they pour it to go with your ceramic rooster cookie jar.</strong> Registry info doesn't belong in STDs, either, because they are pre-invitations.

See, I just think that giving gifts like that, in order to be tacky... totally negates your point that the HMRegister is tacky.  I think that's pretty awful to do, IMO. 

OP, they all make excellent points here.  At the end of the day, if you've been given both sides of the argument, it's your (and your FI's) decision to make.  HMRs are obviously very popular, and there's good and bad sides to it, just like anything else.  But I think that hopefully after this thread, you're very well versed in reasons for and against.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards