Snarky Brides
Options

How can you explain in a nice way?

Ok so my FH's Brother is getting married in june and we are getting married in september. Their wedding is their own very informal BBQ type. Our wedding is very upscale and classy. We have pretty much the same guest list except our is higher. How do i explain on my invitation that it is very formal in a nice way? 

Re: How can you explain in a nice way?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-explain-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b712bed1-00aa-4162-9ca5-b992fd8eab4fPost:a952f87d-10b1-4682-ae8e-889f37b35369">How can you explain in a nice way?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok so my FH's Brother is getting married in june and we are getting married in september. Their wedding is their own very informal BBQ type. Our wedding is very upscale and classy. We have pretty much the same guest list except our is higher. How do i explain on my invitation that it is very formal in a nice way? 
    Posted by a_cianflone@live.com[/QUOTE]

You don't

People should be able to figure it out on their own
  • Options
     If you are doing a true black tie affair, or if your venue has dress code rules, you are allowed to inform them of this. Otherwise, you can't. It is inappropriate to tell guests how to dress.

Many guests will look up the wedding venue to get an idea of how to dress. Word of mouth by your mom and bridesmaids is a good starting point too. People can mentioned in casual conversation you are having a more formal wedding and leave it at that.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-explain-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b712bed1-00aa-4162-9ca5-b992fd8eab4fPost:2df04a8e-4406-40e0-b4a8-361f5760e007">Re: How can you explain in a nice way?</a>:
    [QUOTE] If you are doing a true black tie affair, or if your venue has dress code rules, you are allowed to inform them of this. Otherwise, you can't. It is inappropriate to tell guests how to dress. Many guests will look up the wedding venue to get an idea of how to dress. Word of mouth by your mom and bridesmaids is a good starting point too. People can mentioned in casual conversation you are having a more formal wedding and leave it at that.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

... or this
  • Options
    You send out invitations that reflect the formality of the event, which is also how they should be communicating the formality of their event to their guests.

Most people realize that no 2 parties are the same, so I bet most of your guests will not just assume you're having an uber informal wedding just because you FBIL is.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Ditto giving clues based on invitation style and venue. Wedding websites can be really helpful for this too, in listing your venue with a picture, so people will get that they might need to spiff themselves up a bit. But it is otherwise tacky to specify a dress code, unless it is truly a black tie even like Meg said.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    Betrothed makes a good point about invitation formality too. If you really are doing something formal, you may want to stick to traditional black and white invitations instead of all the fun (but more casual) Etsy type invites.
  • Options
    show up to your brothers wedding in a full-on gown and tux and explain to all of the guests there that you wish for them to mimic your attire when they attend your wedding. that should work.
  • Options
    Loco,

I just want to say the ratio of cake to frosting in your sig pic kind of grosses me out.  I mean I eat cake to taste both cake and frosting, not just frosting.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    i often eat just frosting. so, while the frosting to cake ratio may be a bit alarming, i'm not too thrown by it because i'd probably eat just the icing anyways. sorry to gross you out.
  • Options
    LOL!  It's cool.  If it was that big of a deal to me I would hide the image.  I just looked at it and thought "Holy crap I'd go into sugar shock."
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    sugar shock is fun every once in a while. Smile
  • Options

Your guests should get the hint from your invitations and just from knowing where you're having your wedding.  Either way, please don't stress out.  My guess is, you'll be having such a blast on your wedding day, you won't notice if uncle George is wearing jeans or that cousin Emily's skirt is a little too short...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yum I love icing.

OP, the best way to do this is in poem format.

Hello to all our guests,
    We hope you can come to our party.
    You may have been to BIL's wedding
    with cheap food and no Bacardi.

But our shindig will be different,
    Please dress to the nines.
    This isn't the Beverly Hillbillies
    so tuxes and formal gowns will be fine.
  • Options
    I am convinced Heels just bring her poetry out to attract me to her even more.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, don't make me pull out the pic and story of Uncle Bob to prove how little guest attire will matter to you after the wedding.    Just trust me that after the wedding you won't give a rat's ass what anyone wore to your wedding.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    thumbs up to that awesome poem. it should be distributed at your brothers wedding for maximum effect.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-explain-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b712bed1-00aa-4162-9ca5-b992fd8eab4fPost:8314b827-34b6-4166-b8e1-4b45ac41d1a3">Re: How can you explain in a nice way?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh yeah, don't make me pull out the pic and story of Uncle Bob to prove how little guest attire will matter to you after the wedding.    Just trust me that after the wedding you won't give a rat's ass what anyone wore to your wedding.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

My dad wore Crocs to my wedding reception at the nicest country club in town.  Granted, I live in West Bumblefuck so "nicest country club in town" means the one with indoor plumbing, but still. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-explain-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b712bed1-00aa-4162-9ca5-b992fd8eab4fPost:bbdb3b28-6fb0-4203-a3bb-5c784efc6715">Re: How can you explain in a nice way?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How can you explain in a nice way? : My dad wore Crocs to my wedding reception at the nicest country club in town.  Granted, I live in West Bumblefuck so "nicest country club in town" means the one with indoor plumbing, but still. 
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

I don't even know where to begin with Uncle Bob.  He is a mess... a huge mess.  He bought himself a brand new sweat suit for our wedding (yes, he bragged to me about it right after the ceremony.  He got it at the Family Dollar.)
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options

Am I a bad bride because I really couldn't care less what people dress like at my wedding?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-explain-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b712bed1-00aa-4162-9ca5-b992fd8eab4fPost:c6a60279-42b6-4f6b-a04e-fd2fd26c53fc">Re: How can you explain in a nice way?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I a bad bride because I really couldn't care less what people dress like at my wedding?
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

No, you're just lacking the entitlement chip in your robot brain. ;)

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-explain-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b712bed1-00aa-4162-9ca5-b992fd8eab4fPost:c990ba9c-0458-4eab-8108-1d8cff4a9547">Re: How can you explain in a nice way?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How can you explain in a nice way? : I don't even know where to begin with Uncle Bob.  He is a mess... a huge mess.  He bought himself a brand new sweat suit for our wedding (yes, he bragged to me about it right after the ceremony.  He got it at the Family Dollar.)
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

Hell to the yes.  I love this.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-explain-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b712bed1-00aa-4162-9ca5-b992fd8eab4fPost:c6a60279-42b6-4f6b-a04e-fd2fd26c53fc">Re: How can you explain in a nice way?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I a bad bride because I really couldn't care less what people dress like at my wedding?
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

What if I wore those splatter paint cheerleading shorts and matching hoodie we saw at the mall?
  • Options

Would it be safe to assume that people will look up the venue (or know of the venue) and just know that it is a formal wedding?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-explain-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b712bed1-00aa-4162-9ca5-b992fd8eab4fPost:7b199097-fb76-403d-9556-a0072caf9113">Re: How can you explain in a nice way?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How can you explain in a nice way? : What if I wore those splatter paint cheerleading shorts and matching hoodie we saw at the mall?

I would honestly love this. That is the best outfit ever. But only if we could matching hightops for you to wear with it.
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    Chances are you aren't going to notice what 85% of the people attending are wearing anyway.

But, you could always have an insert in your invites that reads "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Open-Bar"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-explain-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b712bed1-00aa-4162-9ca5-b992fd8eab4fPost:a52471ef-9907-4f67-a1ae-21f662e93456">Re: How can you explain in a nice way?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How can you explain in a nice way? : Hell to the yes.  I love this.

Haha!  Maybe someday I'll post the whole story of Uncle Bob on here.  It's highly entertaining.  He certainly made our wedding even more memorable than it would have otherwise been.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    I would love some uncle Bob stories. 
  • Options
    I bet you would ;-)
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-explain-nice-way?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b712bed1-00aa-4162-9ca5-b992fd8eab4fPost:49ee13e7-e7db-4968-93a8-1603c47afe92">Re: How can you explain in a nice way?</a>:
    [QUOTE]But, you could always have an insert in your invites that reads "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Open-Bar"
    Posted by xoxob[/QUOTE]

Win.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards