Snarky Brides
Options

What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?

Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:5e27ef6f-3b92-48d2-9b58-962f19282834">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare? : That's an interesting idea. I didn't know they did that. 
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

Yeah, their healthcare costs are something like 1/10th of ours.

There was a pretty interesting article in Forbes awhile back about it.  One of their writers blogs about it.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:285a4cbf-97eb-49e3-8778-6ec3aa9ffa17">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare? : Yes, but no doctor, government, or other individual chose those things for you either. They're part of life and sometimes unavoidable. I don't know why it's anyone else's responsibility to fix those things for you. <strong>The idea that government can right all the wrongs of life has completely bankrupted this country, and hasn't fixed any of what's wrong. </strong>

Well said.
  • Options
    Blue -- the government is my employer.  90% of my patients are on Medicare.  I work for a state university, so the medical school pays me for teaching the students.  I make a lot less than when I was in private practice, though.

When I was in private practice, it was the people with private insurance that allowed me to have a decent income.  Medicare pays horribly.  Medicaid pays even worse and has more bureaucracy.
  • Options
    I fully believe that, Mica.

I just looked at my EOBs for the last 3 months. Clinic/doctor/etc billed a total of $4100 to my insurance. They paid a total of $1800. (No patient responsibility on any of it.)

Is that something that each doctor and negotiate with insurance companies? Or is it done a clinic/hospital-wide basis?
  • Options
    Yaga- and some people think its your right to BUY it if you want.  Its not your right to make me pay for it so you can have it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:32eb1bd8-1232-4dab-9844-e88d504ea0dd">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Blue -- the government is my employer.  90% of my patients are on Medicare.  I work for a state university, so the medical school pays me for teaching the students.  I make a lot less than when I was in private practice, though. When I was in private practice, it was the people with private insurance that allowed me to have a decent income.  Medicare pays horribly.  Medicaid pays even worse and has more bureaucracy.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

But if this passes, its gonna basically wipe out private insurance, so do you think your income is going to take a huge hit?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:51b332cd-6c74-4585-ac06-69a8eb49b06f">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most R&D for new drugs comes from private sources, not the government.  Of course, that means that most research that "proves" that new meds are safe and effective is funded by private companies that want the drugs to be safe and effective.   You can't win.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]
    See, and I think that sucks. If the government is going to require FDA approval before a drug can be manufactured then the FDA needs to pay for the research. But that's just another way for the government to take more of my money. I don't know what the solution is, but I have to think that the job isn't getting done properly by anyone based on the number of class action drug lawsuits there are. Which I'm also not entirely on board with. I think a person assumes risk and therefore responsibility as soon as he takes any drug. 
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    The healthcare costs of most of the European countries are going up lately, though.  Their populations are aging and using more of that "free" healthcare.  Still, overall medication costs are lower in Europe, so that helps.  And since everyone is insured, there isn't the problem of a huge chunk of the ER-visiting population skipping out on the bill, so I think the system works better.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:e2e09561-6e2d-4b8f-9d21-42fae1bc40fd">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare? : I see why is can be considered unconstitutional based on what you're saying.   But personally, I think we all have the right for health care and should be like <strong><u>European countries who have universal health care.  Including Switzerland.  
    </u></strong>Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Switzerland has a free and open market.  They are all required to have it, but not required to have Govt run health care.  Its the free market there that makes healthcare affordable.  You need to research this more.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:e2e09561-6e2d-4b8f-9d21-42fae1bc40fd">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare? : I see why is can be considered unconstitutional based on what you're saying.   But personally, I think we all have the right for health care and should be like European countries who have universal health care.  Including Switzerland.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Ok, well I agree to some extent that health care should be a right. But I think the point is that the road to this kind of health care should not be through going against the constitution. I mean, it is what helps define us as the United States, and our legal system. I don't think that any ultimate ideal should be able to override that, regardless of what other countries are doing.
  • Options
    I actually did a huge report/paper on universal health care. (With the intention of proving it to be a better option, economically. Oops. Turns out my mind was changed while doing research.)

Granted, this was 7 years ago for a Econ college class. But there are a LOT of issues with government-run universal health care.  I kind of like being able to choose which doctor I visit and having the option to get a second opinion. Without waiting 6 months for a surgery deemed 'elective' by someone who's never met me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:e2e09561-6e2d-4b8f-9d21-42fae1bc40fd">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare? : I see why is can be considered unconstitutional based on what you're saying.   But personally, I think we all have the right for health care and should be like <strong><u>European countries who have universal health care.  Including Switzerland.  
    </u></strong>Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Switzerland has a free and open market.  They are all required to have it, but not required to have Govt run health care.  Its the free market there that makes healthcare affordable.  You need to research this more.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Again. Yaga- health care =/= health insurance.

Right now, you DO have access to free health care. Show up at the damn ER and give them a fake name. boom. done.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:71040489-82ad-4032-9989-a276c07e7bf6">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare? : This is not going to wipe out private insurance.  We'd still have an employer-based health insurance system, just like we do now.  Only some people are going to get government subsidies to pay for private insurance plans if they don't have an employer who can get them affordable insurance.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

This is getting frustrating.

What is going to happen is that the age in which people turn over to the givt program is going to lower and lower.  So when people start switching over in their 40's, its going to raise the rates for the younger people.  When that age goes down to 35, its going to basically make private insurance totally unaffordable for anyone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My income won't change much (unless Medicare decides to drop physician reimbursement by 30% as they threaten every year) because it's already really poor for a doctor.  But my friends who see mostly privately-insured patients can expect to see lower salaries.

LC -- I agree that people need to stop whining to the government about medication risks.  First they want every medication fast-tracked to pass and be available.  Then they want a government guantee that every medicaiton will be safe.  And they want it to be affordable.  You can't have it every way.  Either companies rush out new medications with the risk that they won't work or won't be 100% safe or they come out later with more research and the cost of all that research gets passed onto the American consumer.

Cheap, fast and good.  You can't have all three.  You can have maybe two.
  • Options
    Stuff like this makes me want to run away and live in the woods, without insurance or a car or electricity and just evade taxes and money in general. And if I get sick, yes I'll probably die, but I'll die happy knowing I didn't have to pay for anything I didn't agree with.

Yes, I do sound like a crazy person.
  • Options
    I'm all for emulating other countries if their tactics can fit within our constitutional constraints. But I think once we allow otherwise, it invites a shitton of problems and ability for the govnt to avoid the restraints the have been in place since we became a country.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:d9fa4ac7-eeff-406d-9f79-5dd206713315">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm all for emulating other countries if their tactics can fit within our <strong>constitutional constraints</strong>. But I think once we allow otherwise, it invites a shitton of problems and ability for the govnt to avoid the restraints the have been in place since we became a country.
    Posted by musicalsunlight[/QUOTE]

and population.... and diversity (geographically, socially, politically, etc.)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:9c9d4197-a462-4f09-9598-bcd77061bdf0">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stuff like this makes me want to run away and live in the woods, without insurance or a car or electricity and just evade taxes and money in general. And if I get sick, yes I'll probably die, but I'll die happy knowing I didn't have to pay for anything I didn't agree with. Yes, I do sound like a crazy person.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]<div>Psh. You're not any crazier than I am. My government paranoia is an all time high. H and I want to live in New Zealand. Despite its universal healthcare, it's one of the most libertarian societies on the planet. 

</div>
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:d7806729-aefb-43ec-af1b-fa8dbb5e7e73">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare? : and population.... and diversity (geographically, socially, politically, etc.)
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

Yeah, those too. :) I was just thinking within the situation, the constitutionality is what really sticks with me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:9c9d4197-a462-4f09-9598-bcd77061bdf0">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stuff like this makes me want to run away and live in the woods, without insurance or a car or electricity and just evade taxes and money in general. And if I get sick, yes I'll probably die, but I'll die happy knowing I didn't have to pay for anything I didn't agree with. Yes, I do sound like a crazy person.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I feel this way quite often. 

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:17cffe7c-c8d3-4813-a442-6f3040f9b692">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My income won't change much (unless Medicare decides to drop physician reimbursement by 30% as they threaten every year) because it's already really poor for a doctor.  But my friends who see mostly privately-insured patients can expect to see lower salaries. LC -- I agree that people need to stop whining to the government about medication risks.  First they want every medication fast-tracked to pass and be available.  Then they want a government guantee that every medicaiton will be safe.  And they want it to be affordable.  You can't have it every way.  Either companies rush out new medications with the risk that they won't work or won't be 100% safe or they come out later with more research and the cost of all that research gets passed onto the American consumer. <strong>Cheap, fast and good.  You can't have all three.  You can have maybe two.</strong>
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]<div>Agreed. Someone touched on it earlier, but I really think tort reform needs to be addressed in reference to medical care. Of course I concede that terrible doctors who make unethical decisions exist, and those people certainly need to be punished, but I don't think having to carry millions of dollars worth of malpractice insurance for fear of getting sued for something far beyond your control is the answer either. 

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:9875949b-7598-48c9-b289-3a79f0bad10c">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare? : Psh. You're not any crazier than I am. My government paranoia is an all time high. H and I want to live in New Zealand. Despite its universal healthcare, it's one of the most libertarian societies on the planet. 
    And it's pretty. Plus lots of kiwis.

H keeps talking about living off the grid. But the place he wants to go has other people. If I'm going 'off grid', I want to live in soli-fucking-tude. With him and our dog. In a cabin we built by hand. In woodsy, mountainous terrain not accessible by car, only foot, maybe pack mule.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:d7806729-aefb-43ec-af1b-fa8dbb5e7e73">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare? : and population.... and diversity (geographically, socially, politically, etc.)
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

Yes, those too. :) Constitutionality just sticks out for me in this situation.
  • Options
    Is there a set time frame for how long the SCOTUS will hear arguments? Do we have any idea when we'll have a decision?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-do-you-think-is-going-to-happen-with-obamacare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:64e8501a-17f1-4590-aedc-fbcbac8d111ePost:6b64a252-4c33-4eb7-b603-c6f43f148d38">Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What do you think is going to happen with Obamacare? : I don't know what you're referring to here.  Care to elaborate for me?  Medicare is 65 (unless someone is disabled or has end-stage kidney disease or ALS) - and that can't be adjusted by the states.
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]

Im not talking about Medicare. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LC I think I read on CNN that it was a three day hearing.
  • Options
    DJ- Also I agree we cant base ours off of Singapore's and Switzerland, I just mean that they run it successfully, and it wouldnt hurt to see how they modeled it and see if we cant take some of their models that would work here and apply them. Some, not all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would sincerely hate to have to be the attorney arguing in favor of the bill. That's a damn daunting job from where I'm standing. 
  • Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    DJ- Also I agree we cant base ours off of Singapore's and Switzerland, I just mean that they run it successfully, and it wouldnt hurt to see how they modeled it and see if we cant take some of their models that would work here and apply them.  Some, not all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards