Options

The worst thing you've ever seen/heard at a bridal shower

13»

Re: The worst thing you've ever seen/heard at a bridal shower

• Options
    Harry87 said:
    I don't do baby showers for three reasons:

1. The worst games ever conceived.

2. When you're not maternal, the baby chatter and "How do you raise your baby?" and "How many babies are you having?" gets really awkward really fast.

3. The last few invites I've received came with so many rules on what I could and couldn't bring that I just tossed them in the trash. "No clothes, bottles, disposable diapers, cribs, toys with batteries, DVDs, or blankets. Food must not contain preservatives or red #5. Gifts should be wrapped in cellophane or not at all. Guests should dress according to the theme. All guests will be required to write a story or letter to the baby in our baby book."

I laughed out loud at the bolded.

And I wouldn't even go if there were that many rules for a freaking baby shower. That's beyond ungrateful.
    But...but...we've all just got to know how this trainwreck turns out, and if you didn't go and come back and post about it you'd be letting us all down! ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't want to go either with all those conditions.  I'd be worried about that baby!
  • Options
    fyrefly76 said:
    I would be livid!

Not at a shower, but last night at a family dinner my grandmother got drunk and, among other things, told us that we have to have sex on the wedding night. I told her I'm planning on smuggling out the leftover cake and going to town, then going to sleep. She was not impressed.
    "Actually, gramma, my plan is to fuck first.  We'll fuck the morning of the wedding so we don't have to worry about being sober enough to do it that night."
    Pre-consummation of the marriage? Is that a thing? In that case I think Nana would totally let me off the hook.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Here's the drama that started at my shower.

For some background, my aunt (mom's SIL, who she's very close to), is a bit bitchy, and randomly gets mad at my mom for the most absurd reasons (typically miscommunication, the fault of my aunt).  She'll bitch out my mom over a series of texts/emails, and then not talk to my mom for like a week.  I feel so bad for my mom, and my mom's brother, who always feels caught in the middle because he knows it's his wife's fault.

At the shower, one of my BMs was helping everyone park.  When my aunt showed up, the BM asked her if she could park somewhere else.  My aunt was a bitch to her, I guess, and then left.  I passed my aunt coming down the driveway, and I waved, and she ignored me and left panicked.  I figured she was pissed over something and let it go, and we didn't see her again that day.  We didn't find out what happened until later.

Later, she texted my mom, saying she had to leave because of the "fucking parking nazi" or something like that, and continued to bitch at my mom for it (the only thing my mom knew at this point was that I saw my aunt in the driveway-my mom never even knew she was there, and my BM brushed it off and didnt' mention it.).  My mom (who didn't see the text until later that night) said she was sorry if she was offended, but she thought it was ridiculous to leave and that it was a shitty thing to do to me, since I had nothing to do with her upset.  Long story short (ish), my aunt didn't talk to my mom for a week because she was so pissed at her.  Good thing my BM didn't know about any of this, she would have been mortified.

• Options
    Since this is still going and work is boring, I'll add my favorite:

The bride was about 3-4 months pregnant at the time of her shower. We all knew this, we knew it's why the engagement was so short, but we also knew that most of her family did not know, and the ones who did know were unhappy about it, so we were just expected to participate in their denial when they were around, which was totally fine with us.

However, the Best Man's girlfriend did not get the memo. Wedding gifts were opened, spatulas and blenders and everything, nobody had said the word "baby" or anything similar all afternoon, but the gift from BM's GF was a cute little set of crochet booties. After a few seconds of awkward crickets, the bride thanked her, hurriedly shoved them back in the box, told her grandma they were potholders and just kept right on going.

How could you sit through a whole wedding shower and not notice you're NOT at a baby shower?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jcrmcjcrmc member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    Sierra524 said:
    LMc0322 said:
    Wow, sorry if you're offended by this, but your mom AND fmil sound like totally out of control bitches.  I'd ask my mother to leave if she can't control herself. What an awful position to put you in, and what kind of grown woman speaks that way to one of her child's friends?
    Oh, Im not offended because its the truth. Both of them are out of control. They both have this "I say what I want, when I want" attitude. They both think they can just say whatever they want, whenever they want no matter who it offends.
    I hate that my moms side of the family is so cloistered in their bitchery. I would almost rather know up front what they say behind peoples backs, so they are forced to deal with people berating them. At my grandpas funeral service, my mom stood up to say some nice words (not a eulogy though) and my aunt actually started saying shit to me about my mom!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jcrmcjcrmc member
    edited July 2013
    You won't get reamed by me! I don't believe STDates are inviolable. Once you send one, you *SHOULD* send an invite. If you don't, there needs to be a damn good reason.

"I sent a STDate, but now I want to invite someone else and we're over-budget and over-capacity, can I rescind the STDate?" -- NO, not a good reason.

"I sent a STDate, but then the person was needlessly cruel and hurtful to me and tried to stir up shit and was horrible, can I rescind the STDate?" -- YES, absolutely.

STDates don't give you carte blanc to be mean and cruel.
    We sent one to FIs oldest friend. He later called FI and when FI hung up on his rant about their friendship and OUR relationship, emailed him the rest of his rant. There were mean and untrue things said about FI, and there were nasty things said about me, and it basically ended up saying I dont think you should get married, and definitely not to her.

He did not get an invite. We do not feel bad about it.

ETA: FIs decision, not mine. I told him that I could handle myself if he wanted to include his (ex)friend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amorrison340amorrison340 member
    edited July 2013
    I hosted a bridal shower for my friend a few years ago.  I wasn't the maid of honor but for some reason the bride's mother demanded I be the one to host.  My friend got engaged in November and married in early January, so the time frame was limited.  We were also all in college at the time, so the only time I could plan it was over the winter holiday.  My parents throw this big party on Christmas eve, a tradition for over 20 years and includes like 80 people minimum.  We cook and do everything for it.  And due to another crazy person we had to do Christmas dinner as well.  

Well the brides mother insisted that Dec. 26th was the absolute only day that would possibly work for her, despite being told about everything else.  So, I hosted it. On the 26th.  With the guest list that was sent.  Of 30 people, as a formal, sit down lunch, as requested.  The only thing I asked her to do was to contribute a fruit plate in order to cut down on the cost (which was all on me, as a poor college student).  She sent a basket of apples and oranges in a gift basket that had clearly been a gift from someone else for me to cut up.

Halfway through I also found out they had had a shower for the bride the day before, with all of the same people exempting myself and the maid of honor. 

The best part was when my bride's mother snuck alcohol in her coffee cup (she's an alcoholic) and myself and the maid of honor ran around trying to hide it from the bride so she wouldn't freak, and get the cup away from her mother.  When people were leaving, and thanked me for hosting, she said "oh, don't worry about it, it's her job".

I was so stupid then, I know better now.
  • Options
    16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    I hosted a bridal shower for my friend a few years ago.  I wasn't the maid of honor but for some reason the bride's mother demanded I be the one to host.  My friend got engaged in November and married in early January, so the time frame was limited.  We were also all in college at the time, so the only time I could plan it was over the winter holiday.  My parents throw this big party on Christmas eve, a tradition for over 20 years and includes like 80 people minimum.  We cook and do everything for it.  And due to another crazy person we had to do Christmas dinner as well.  

Well the brides mother insisted that Dec. 26th was the absolute only day that would possibly work for her, despite being told about everything else.  So, I hosted it. On the 26th.  With the guest list that was sent.  Of 30 people, as a formal, sit down lunch, as requested.  The only thing I asked her to do was to contribute a fruit plate in order to cut down on the cost (which was all on me, as a poor college student).  She sent a basket of apples and oranges in a gift basket that had clearly been a gift from someone else for me to cut up.

Halfway through I also found out they had had a shower for the bride the day before, with all of the same people exempting myself and the maid of honor. 

Oh my goodness. Reminds me of a bride friend's mother. Her wedding is coming up in September, and I'm not in the wedding party (going as a gust) but MOB knows I'm a friend and has included me in her endless group emails to the bridal party. She has urged them to organize multiple bridal showers and bach parties. One of the BMs called me to chat a few nights ago ... MOB was angry that they didn't want to do a second bach vacation and blamed her, then offered to pay her way and have BM pay her back in installments.

That cannot be normal.
  • Options
    bakerie said:
    This is more funny than anything, but one of my aunts got a little drunk at my bridal shower and accidentally kissed a stranger. Not entirely sure how it happened, we were standing around getting ready to leave and she just runs to up to us saying "Oh my god, I have to get out of here! I just kissed that woman over there!" 
    That's hilarious.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I held a wedding shower where the guest of honor didn't even show.  It was for my soon to be sister in law and I coordinated with her heavily while planning because she was out of town and a good portion (10 of 13) of the guests were her friends and family that I didn't know.  She and my brother were moving from New Mexico to Texas and were supposed to be back on Friday and the shower was on Sunday (she chose the date).  We all assumed they were still on the road when we didn't hear from them on Saturday and would be in town in time for the shower.  My brother finally called me on Sunday an hour before the party to tell me that they hadn't even left New Mexico yet.  I went ahead and had the party and we just saved her gifts for when they got back in town.  There is nothing like hosting party for a bunch of strangers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards