Wedding Etiquette Forum

GoFundMe...had to share

BMoreBride6BMoreBride6 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited July 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Today I got both an email and a facebook notification from someone I probably haven't spoken to in 3 years...it was a GoFunMe account asking me to donate to pay for her daughter's college tuition because they don't want her to take out any loans...

What the WHAT???

ETA: spelling.

Re: GoFundMe...had to share

• Today I got both and email and a facebook notification from someone I probably haven't spoke to in 3 years...it was a GoFunMe account asking me to donate to pay for her daughter's college tuition because they don't want her to take out any loans...

What the WHAT???

I am so fucking GoFundMe and Indigogo exhausted.  People are doing these so much for the tackiest shit.
  • When did it become acceptable to solicit "donations" for personal expenses like you're a charity?  This stuff drives me insane.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • You mean instead of working full time for 5 years of uni I could've lived on donations?

I wouldn't unfriend them either. I'd want to see what else they come up with.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I could have just asked for donations instead of incurring student loan debt?  Well.  Damn.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You mean instead of working full time for 5 years of uni I could've lived on donations?

Seriously...I think I'm just gunna quit my job and set up one for my general day to day living expenses!  How did I not think of this earlier!  
    That's brilliant! I think I'd enjoy being a lady of leisure. Count me in.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jlm9113 said:
    You mean instead of working full time for 5 years of uni I could've lived on donations?

Seriously...I think I'm just gunna quit my job and set up one for my general day to day living expenses!  How did I not think of this earlier!  

Screw people funding my college education.  I'm going to ask them to fund my laziness.
    I'd personally like my world travel taken care of as well...
  • jlm9113 said:
    You mean instead of working full time for 5 years of uni I could've lived on donations?

Screw people funding my college education.  I'm going to ask them to fund my laziness.

I'm going to make a list of everything I'd like someone else to fund.  But that will be the last act of exertion I ever have because, after that, they'll be funding my existence.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And my sylvia weinstock cakes!! She does things with butter cream most can only do with fondant!! I'm gonna need a four tier each month from now until infinity.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• jlm9113 said:
    jlm9113 said:

I'm going to make a list of everything I'd like someone else to fund.  But that will be the last act of exertion I ever have because, after that, they'll be funding my existence.
    OK, list time

- House - 3 bedrooms, just in case we have kiddos (who would need donations for their college funds later, of course)
    - Car - Something nice, lets not get cheap now
    - Travel - First class, of course
    - Bills
    - Weekly spending allowance

Am I missing anything? Gosh I hope my facebook friends are feeling generous!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jlm9113 said:
    jlm9113 said:

OK, list time

- House - 3 bedrooms, just in case we have kiddos (who would need donations for their college funds later, of course)
    - Car - Something nice, lets not get cheap now
    - Travel - First class, of course
    - Bills
    - Weekly spending allowance

Am I missing anything? Gosh I hope my facebook friends are feeling generous!
    You forgot a cleaning service for the house...

• Today I got both and email and a facebook notification from someone I probably haven't spoke to in 3 years...it was a GoFunMe account asking me to donate to pay for her daughter's college tuition because they don't want her to take out any loans...

What the WHAT???
    I am so fucking GoFundMe and Indigogo exhausted.  People are doing these so much for the tackiest shit.

Gets better...the family put it as their facebook status and someone mentioned they could use some extra filing help at her business part time if the daughter needed a job.  The mother responded, "thanks for the offer but we think Special Snowflake Daughter should spend her time studying and enjoying college (you know how kids are!) rather than working."  

I want to unfriend...but now I'm just interested! 

ETA: fixed spelling...wow it is past my bedtime...

I can not deal with self-entitled people like these. Setting up a charity for your daughter because you don't want her to work? That's terrible parenting.

• I think this is a trend that's here to stay. "Crowd sourcing" has trickled over to include people who aren't actually producing anything. In the last week on FB I've seen one gofundme for tuition (set up by the actual student) and another (can't make this up) from a guy trying to create a fancy ice cream stand to bring to Burning Man.

What the WHAT???

Gets better...the family put it as their facebook status and someone mentioned they could use some extra filing help at her business part time if the daughter needed a job.  The mother responded, "thanks for the offer but we think Special Snowflake Daughter should spend her time studying and enjoying college (you know how kids are!) rather than working."  

ETA: fixed spelling...wow it is past my bedtime...
    The bold makes me so stabby I cannot even stand it!
  •  

ETA: fixed spelling...wow it is past my bedtime..

I cannot wrap my head around this.

I can't get out of this quote box.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I never heard of this before, just awful.  They are setting their daughter up to fail in then real world....

Anniversary

• It takes a lot to set me off, but this infuriates me. What is WRONG with people? Have they no pride and self respect??
  • I think they should add on a beer fund as well...
  • I'd love to be able to read the mind of the person who offered the daughter a job.  I mean, I'd love to read his/her mind AFTER the mother replied about how the daugter needs to enjoy college instead of working.

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

• College isn't about fun it's about preparing for the workforce! If you have fun along the way, great, but that mindset of going to college for "fun" might end up in not completing her degree.

My parents did pat for my education, but I went to junior college, then transferred to a commuter school and worked the whole damn time anyway. People need to get the f over themselves.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• NerdyLucy said:

I'd love to be able to read the mind of the person who offered the daughter a job.  I mean, I'd love to read his/her mind AFTER the mother replied about how the daugter needs to enjoy college instead of working.

He was probably relieved. If mom acts like that to pay for her school, she's probably never taught daughter how to actually work.
  • I feel like there are so many people that would take that filing job. I would. I've spent more on medical bills this summer than I've brought in.

My parents paid for my college expenses, but I also had a job teaching chem lab. That money didnt go to beer. It went to savings. I loved my job though I would want a gofundme instead. This girl is missing out.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • These are the type of people I like to keep around just to see the shit-storm they create for themselves.  It's highly entertaining.

OP, did they get any other comments on their status?

• I think it's kind of sad that people find this sort of behavior acceptable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards