Snarky Brides
Options

Unpopular Opinions/ Pet Peeves - October

I think we need a new thread for unpopolar opinions and pat peeve since Sept is long gone. I will start.

UO: I can't stand Halloween. I hate dressing up. I am not creative enough to make a good costume. I also think too many women use it as an reason to dress slutty. And Hallowwen/ scary movies keep me awake for days.

Pet Peeve: people who dont turn their cell phones on vibrate and leave their desks at work. So the ring tones just blare through my normally silent office.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Unpopular Opinions/ Pet Peeves - October

• Options
    KatWAG said:

I think we need a new thread for unpopolar opinions and pat peeve since Sept is long gone. I will start.

UO: I can't stand Halloween. I hate dressing up. I am not creative enough to make a good costume. I also think too many women use it as an reason to dress slutty. And Hallowwen/ scary movies keep me awake for days.

Pet Peeve: people who dont turn their cell phones on vibrate and leave their desks at work. So the ring tones just blare through my normally silent office.

Both of those!!!  It was fun as a kid...but at some point, it's not cute anymore.  

UO: I can't stand the movie "Napoleon Dynamite".  Everyone I know loved it...I thought it was inane and I can't get back those hours I spent.

PP: People at the office who take the last of the coffee and don't start a new pot (really, people, it's not rocket science).  When my FH puts glass containers in the garbage can when the recycling bin is 3 feet away (he could totally reach it).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for starting this @KatWAG! Unpopular opinions:
    • No thank you to cake for birthdays at the office - it seems like it's someone's birthday every other week. If I see one more piece of dry, crumby cake in the office kitchen, I'm going to throw up on it. 
    • I do not see a problem with eating things that fell on the floor (most floors anyway)
    • I'm very happy DH doesn't wear cologne - I have yet to smell a cologne that's not soapy or way too heavily applied
    • I don't like those sinks that sit on top of the bathroom countertop. Like at all.
    • I have no desire for DH to do anything for me for "sweetest day". In fact, I think it'd be "sweeter" if he refused to participate in the hallmark holiday.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    KatWAG said:

*Stuck in box*

I completely agree.  I know people take it as a time to "release their inner slut" but to me, Halloween is about scary shit and junk food.  Not slutty costumes.  Keep those in the bedroom.

• Options
    I can't stand people who don't clean up after themselves. Don't be gross!!!! Not everybody wants to clean up your shit!

I am not a fan of commercialized Christmas. It is really annoying that you have to buy a hundred people a gift. Then there's all this pressure to get the "right" thing and show how thoughtful you are, etc. Ugh... I could skip Christmas and be totally fine. I find Christmas music totally annoying, as well as Christmas movies.

I don't like people who argue against the popular opinion for the sake of being different. For example, I live near Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where 99.9% of the people are LSU die-hard fans. Then there's this one guy who insists on posting on fb every game day "Go (insert opposing team's name here)!!!" I want to literally slice his throat. Get over yourself.

• Options

Unpopular opinion: I grew up in CA (a really nice area at that) and I despise living there.  I now live in the Midwest and I love it.  I LOVE the snow, I can't wait for the snow.  I am the most bitter and unhappy person when I lived in CA.  I am okay visiting, but it takes less then a week for me to want to leave and come back to the midwest

Pet Peeve: other people telling you how you are going to feel about something/some place.  For instance, when I was getting ready to move to the Midwest, everyone in CA told me how I would hate it and I would come running back.  I may dislike CA but I have friends who want to move there, and I am sure to tell them positive things about it (cause there are some whether they matter to me or not).  I try to help them out with ideas and things.  But never once will I tell them they will hate it.  I am not them, and they are not me.  We are all different people.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Unpopular opinion(s): 
    * I hate the movie 'The Princess Bride.' I think it's overdone, trite, and stupid.
    * I do not understand Disney themed weddings or honeymoons. To me, Disney is for kids, not for grown-ups. If you want an Ariel and Cinderella-theme wedding, IMHO, you're not old enough to get married.

Pet peeve(s)
    * I don't get the sudden need for matching stationary. Your STDates don't have to match your invites don't have to match your thank-you cards. They should be on the same level of formality, yes, but they don't all have to be custom-made to match. No one notices, or cares.
    * I would rather have a prompt thank-you note than a late thank-you that includes a photo of the happy couple. In the day and age of FB, I can see what you all looked like on your wedding day. Just thank me for the gift and we can all move on.

Gah, this x1000.

I dont think any female past the age of 10 should wear pigtails.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Unpopular Opinion: I think kissing photos, even "sweet" ones are gross. I'll get over it if it's your ceremony kiss photo, but otherwise, no. I don't want to see you kissing. 

Pet Peeve: Assuming someone has the same political stance as you without bothering to get to know them. 
  • Options
    UO: I hate small talk.  If I see someone I know get into an elevator and he/she hasn't seen me, I slink back and wait for the next elevator to avoid an awkward convo about the weather.

Pet Peeves: People who hog gym equipment they're not even using between sets by staying on the equipment and texting or checking FB on their phone rather than getting up and letting someone else use the machine.  Also people who are too lazy to throw out their disposable razors and let them pile up in the gym showers instead.
  • Options
    UO: I hate small talk.  If I see someone I know get into an elevator and he/she hasn't seen me, I slink back and wait for the next elevator to avoid an awkward convo about the weather.

Pet Peeves: People who hog gym equipment they're not even using between sets by staying on the equipment and texting or checking FB on their phone rather than getting up and letting someone else use the machine.  Also people who are too lazy to throw out their disposable razors and let them pile up in the gym showers instead.
    Eww that is gross!  Makes me want to gag just a little.

• Options

That plus hairballs in the shower drains...I don't expect people to clean those up, but the gym needs cleaning staff in there more often.  Considering how much I pay in dues, I am complaining to management next time...
  • Options

That plus hairballs in the shower drains...I don't expect people to clean those up, but the gym needs cleaning staff in there more often.  Considering how much I pay in dues, I am complaining to management next time...
    Eww! I sort of expect people to clean up after themselves. If I sheded a whole bunch, I usually grab a paper towel and try to pick up my own hair at least. Nasty!
  • Options

Ick!  Loose hair in drains or on the floor or anywhere for that matter really grosses me out.  Gag fest!

• Options

UGH. At my gym, I constantly see people on the treadmill walking 2mph and chatting on the phone or with a friend next to them. They aren't even in workout clothes. That's all fine and good, but don't do that when there is a wait to use the equipment.

• Options

Pet Peeve- when you're the only one in a public or work bathroom and there are 10 other open stalls. Someone walks in and goes into the stall right next to you. They know you are in there. For some reason, it gives me the creeps.

ETA: clarity

This creeps me out too! I don't understand. I usually go as far away as possible. 

Similarly, I hate when people choose the eliptical/treadmill next to you when there's a line of 10 that no on is using. 
  • Options
    PDKH said:

Pet Peeve- when you're the only one in a public or work bathroom and there are 10 other open stalls. Someone walks in and goes into the stall right next to you. They know you are in there. For some reason, it gives me the creeps.

This creeps me out too! I don't understand. I usually go as far away as possible. 

Similarly, I hate when people choose the eliptical/treadmill next to you when there's a line of 10 that no on is using. 

Agreed! Also, when you end up on a treadmill/elliptical next to someone who smells like their previous meal. Sweat+onions=vomit

• Options

Agreed! Also, when you end up on a treadmill/elliptical next to someone who smells like their previous meal. Sweat+onions=vomit
    Yes, ugh! I'm always terrified of being the smelly kid! I carry deodorant everywhere!

A few months ago I ended up to an older guy who absolutely reeked of pot. I had to move. 
    I don't care if you do it, but my gosh I don't want to smell it while I'm working out!
  • Options
    JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    UO: I have a weird dislike of most things from the 80's. A lot of 80's bands, perms, leather, floral wallpaper, ugh the list goes on! I was born in it, & can appreciate that, but it was a weird decade! :P

PP: *Shoes & long socks that are pulled up, worn with shorts.
          *Clutter/being unorganized.
          *Getting cream in my coffee, when I ask for milk. :'(
          *Smoking. I can't stand meeting with someone who smells like they slept in an ashtray. Worst part is, I don't think they realize it. :S

*J

• Options
    UO: I'm rather over the designers who insist on peppering everything with bad "rustic" stereotypes. I live in the country and nobody sensible wears half the junk I see in catalogs or on pin boards.

PP: 1970s wood paneling. My FI and FFIL LOVE the stuff. I am surrounded by it. I can't wait to move.
  • Options
    Unpop Opinions:
    I hate newborn photo shoots.  I also hate maternity photo shoots.  Why do people need so many damn pictures of themselves?!

I hate when people announce they are pregnant in cutesy pictures on FB.  H and I had a couple that we are friends with post a picture of their hands holding baby shoes.  That is how they announced they were pregnant to pretty much everyone.  A close cousin of theirs commented and said "I just love finding out about such exciting news via FB."

I also hate when people constantly post ultrasound photos.  Awesome, I see a blob, do you want me to say that I think it is cute?

Pet Peeves:
    I hate my neighbors who constantly ask H and I when we are going to have kids and when we tell them "most likely never." They laugh and say "oh you will change your minds."  Um, at this point, we are pretty set on that but thanks for making us feel like shit because you make us feel like we are crazy for not wanting kids.
    I agree with all of this, but especially the last part. I get the "you'll change your minds" thing all the time. Umm no, actually, I won't. But thanks for invalidating my life decisions.
  • Options
    allispain said:

Unpop Opinions:
    I hate newborn photo shoots.  I also hate maternity photo shoots.  Why do people need so many damn pictures of themselves?!

I hate when people announce they are pregnant in cutesy pictures on FB.  H and I had a couple that we are friends with post a picture of their hands holding baby shoes.  That is how they announced they were pregnant to pretty much everyone.  A close cousin of theirs commented and said "I just love finding out about such exciting news via FB."

I also hate when people constantly post ultrasound photos.  Awesome, I see a blob, do you want me to say that I think it is cute?

Pet Peeves:
    I hate my neighbors who constantly ask H and I when we are going to have kids and when we tell them "most likely never." They laugh and say "oh you will change your minds."  Um, at this point, we are pretty set on that but thanks for making us feel like shit because you make us feel like we are crazy for not wanting kids.

I agree with all of this, but especially the last part. I get the "you'll change your minds" thing all the time. Umm no, actually, I won't. But thanks for invalidating my life decisions.

Yup, get the same here as well. I am hopeful that people finally gave up. If it continues, I'll just tell them that I'll have kids if they cough up the cash to get my DH's vasectomy reversed :)

• Options
    Thanks for starting this @KatWAG! Unpopular opinions:
    • No thank you to cake for birthdays at the office - it seems like it's someone's birthday every other week. If I see one more piece of dry, crumby cake in the office kitchen, I'm going to throw up on it. 
    • I do not see a problem with eating things that fell on the floor (most floors anyway)
    • I'm very happy DH doesn't wear cologne - I have yet to smell a cologne that's not soapy or way too heavily applied
    • I don't like those sinks that sit on top of the bathroom countertop. Like at all.
    • I have no desire for DH to do anything for me for "sweetest day". In fact, I think it'd be "sweeter" if he refused to participate in the hallmark holiday.
    These.  My ex wore tons of cologne.  I never was a particular fan but now I hate it.  Even on random strangers.  I also don't even understand why you want to pay for a whole sink that looks like a bowl on a cabinet.  It looks unfinished and weird. 

Unpopular opinion: I hate female sports reporters. I am not a feminist, clearly.

Pet Peeve: The way that my FI thinks that 50 degrees in the bedroom is "good sleeping temperature." No. Turn the air conditioner off, I am getting frostbite over here.
    All of this.  I sleep with a comforter year round because hubby can't sleep if there isn't a fan blowing cold air on him.  I also think most female sports reporters are only put on air because if sports weren't interesting enough, they provide breasts for men to watch.  Some of them might be serious about it but if you look like a Barbie and seem to be reading off a script...I judge.

It's super creepy.  I always think of serial killer movies when someone does that.  Maybe it's that a lot of those bathrooms have poor lighting too, I dunno.

My biggest current pet peeve is people just not showing up for work.  If you're sick, call in.  If you want to quit, put on your big boy/girl panties and just resign in person.  If you just don't show up, we have to cover your shift and it creates panic, which we don't need.

Also people pushing strollers down the middle of the street in our neighborhood.  We have very nice sidewalks, use them.  They're located about 1 foot to your left...And stop texting.  If I run over your kid because you're too busy looking at your phone to notice, perhaps you should've stayed home and not unleashed them on the population.
  • Options
    GypsyWife_GypsyWife_ member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    Uo: I don't like these unpopular opinion threads.
    Pet peeve: open cabinets. I always have to shut them.
  • Options

This!

Also, when people talk to you through the stalls. When I am doing my business, I don't want to be chatting.  I prefer it if we pretend we don't know who is in the next stall.

• Options
    Another UO: Neon anything. I can not WAIT for this trend to expire. I need new running shoes badly and I seriously cannot find a pair of normal looking running shoes. They're all neon pink/yellow/orange/green/blue. Sorry, but I grew up with that stuff and I'm over it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    UO: I dislike most of the wedding related stuff I see on Pinterest. It's just so cheesy. I don't want to see pictures of people kissing and cuddling with cutesy wording/signs. And the cartoon wedding invites? Awful. 
    Also, adults that like Disney. I have a former friend that is obsessed with Cinderella. I also feel the same way about adults that like Harry Potter. 

PP: People that pop-in. That shit is not cool. Please don't show up announced at my house. That might have flown when FI was a bachelor, but he's not anymore. I live here, along with my dog. Don't just roll up on our house and open the door. Asshats. Sorry - I'm clearly very irritated by that ;-)
  • Options
    Another UO: Conventions...you know...the kind where people spend all year on a costume of a character that they will wear once.  And they have multiple costumes.  I don't get it...

Another PP: - Little yappy dogs that charge at me and my dog and the owner does nothing.  My dog is very sweet and generally stays away from annoying dogs, but when your dog charges at us when we're just walking...yeah...not cool.  
    - Not having a plan...and then, when we make a plan, changing it last minute.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards