Snarky Brides

Unpopular Opinions/ Pet Peeves - October

1235»

Re: Unpopular Opinions/ Pet Peeves - October

• Seeing the one from @lizandmark2014 puts me in mind of another one.  People who honk at their friends. *honkhonkhonkHONK!* (driver hanging out the window waving frantically) "HI! Betty!  I just saw you like 20 minutes ago at work OhMiGOSH!"  I'm driving around the parking lot looking for a spot or walking into the store.  Unless you're warning me your brakes are out and you might run me over, I don't care to hear you honking and yelling.
  • I very much agree on the shopping carts- hate seeing them left all around the parking lot. Is it really that hard to walk to the coral and back? Have we gotten that lazy as a society? Or do people just not give a crap? Which in itself is rude. It's really bad at our local Walmart. *le sigh* 
  • My UO:  I think engagement photos are stupid.  They are a waste of money and honestly, why the fuck do you need that many pictures of yourself?  I can't even wrap my head around getting my picture taken all day for the wedding, but at least that's a once in a lifetime event that it makes sense to record.    It just reeks of "Look at me!  I'm special!  I'm getting married!  LOOK AT ME.  NOW."  The only "engagement" photo I would want would be one of the actual moment that we got engaged - that would be sweet, and is an actual occasion worth recording.

This one I'm curious about. It's the primary reason I haven't sent save the dates. It seems like booking a photo shoot is all but inevitable in order to send those out and finish putting up a web page. But it's 400 bucks I could stand to put toward other stuff.
  • Thanks, @pdkh! BF and I have almost no photos together (and yes, we've been dating for almost 5 years - I just have an uncommonly strong aversion to cameras), and I know he really wants to do engagement photos if/when we get engaged so that we have some nice photos of us together. It's good to know that you can get some good photos out of not much time.

Same. We have almost no photos together, and I hate most of them. We have tons of photos of him; very few of me.
  • @kitty8403 unless you absolutely got to have a few hundred pictures of you and your FI in two or more different outfits that will then just be replaced by your wedding photos a year later I say skip the photo session (especially if it is going to cost you money) and just send a STD without a picture. STDs do not have to have a picture of the couple on them.  Or just find a nice picture of you and your FI that you have already and use that.

• No, we really don't need that many. 2-3 is plenty. I just want to shut up FMIL and get rid of the stock images on the website. I'm already dreading telling my grandparents that I don't want to get dragged into 978,000 different posed family portraits on my wedding day (UO again?)
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    No, we really don't need that many. 2-3 is plenty. I just want to shut up FMIL and get rid of the stock images on the website. I'm already dreading telling my grandparents that I don't want to get dragged into 978,000 different posed family portraits on my wedding day (UO again?)
    I would just use pictures that you already have. Honestly I prefer to see fun pictures of the couples rather then posed pictures with weird angles, lighting and filters.  Fun candids or self taken pictures show the couples personality a lot more in my opinion.

ETA:  And I would just tell your photographer that you will allow X amount of time for pictures with your family and that is it.  I would then tell your Grandmother that after speaking with your photographer that you will be able to put aside X minutes to do family portraits.  And make your photographer stick to that amount of time and say something like "ok, we have gotten some great shots, now we need to move on to wedding party pictures."

• I hate don't really hate engagment shoots. I hate when people post 100 pictures of their shoots on fb. Okay, I get it, you want to change your profile pic to a cute one of you and your FI, but I don't need to see the ones with your dogs in 4 different poses.

We decided against and found some cute Iphone pics from some vacations we took for the STDs and website.

• UO: I think weddings are a waste of money...I'm not saying you shouldn't have a wedding, I've done it, I'm doing it again, I just wish it didnt cost so much. Rent a Venue for 6 hours for a family reunion $1,000, rent it for 4 hours for a WEDDING oh that will be $6,000.

Pet Peeves:

when people see me knit or crochet and say 'thats for old people'

People on welfare or some sort of gov or state help that don't need it. Being LAZY is not a disability!

Being late

Calling in sick when you are not sick

Talking on the phone or texting while driving...GTF out of my way.

shall i go on? 

• UO: I think weddings are a waste of money...I'm not saying you shouldn't have a wedding, I've done it, I'm doing it again, I just wish it didnt cost so much. Rent a Venue for 6 hours for a family reunion $1,000, rent it for 4 hours for a WEDDING oh that will be $6,000.

Pet Peeves:

People on welfare or some sort of gov or state help that don't need it. Being LAZY is not a disability!

Being late

shall i go on? 

THIS so much!  Obviously it's not for old people since I'm doing it! 

And also going into a public bathroom and someone sitting there, on the toilet, talking on the phone.  That's not cool.  And who wants to be on the phone and hear toilets flushing and other noises?  Icky.
  • kitty8403 said:
    My UO:  I think engagement photos are stupid.  They are a waste of money and honestly, why the fuck do you need that many pictures of yourself?  I can't even wrap my head around getting my picture taken all day for the wedding, but at least that's a once in a lifetime event that it makes sense to record.    It just reeks of "Look at me!  I'm special!  I'm getting married!  LOOK AT ME.  NOW."  The only "engagement" photo I would want would be one of the actual moment that we got engaged - that would be sweet, and is an actual occasion worth recording.
    This one I'm curious about. It's the primary reason I haven't sent save the dates. It seems like booking a photo shoot is all but inevitable in order to send those out and finish putting up a web page. But it's 400 bucks I could stand to put toward other stuff.
    A save the date does not need to have a photo on it.  And it definitely doesn't need to have a professional photo on it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wedding related pet peeve-  When people learn that we're having an outdoor ceremony and assume it's going to be some tacky and overdone burlap and mason jar infested affair.  Um, have we met?

Boy that felt good :)

• Had to contribute again. Pet peeve: late people!! Compounded wedding pet peeve: late weddings! I attended an outdoor ceremony this summer that started 20 minutes late while we sat in drizzle. Now, I just watched a real housewives Miami episode where the Brazilian chick was unapologetically 1.5 hours late to the ceremony and 2 hours late to her reception. And they didn't feed the waiting guests. People left. "Well we're Brazilian... we party laaaate..."

• TheFutureMrsRohlman22 said:

And also going into a public bathroom and someone sitting there, on the toilet, talking on the phone.  That's not cool.  And who wants to be on the phone and hear toilets flushing and other noises?  Icky.
    Very true. Though a touch of humor- had a conference call last week with people in about 10 different states. One lady was actually calling in from the bathroom because she was at a training conference and that was the only relatively quiet place she could find! Both my colleague and I were avoiding looking at each other every time we heard a toilet flush or an air hand dryer start blowing.
  • Unpop: I want to tattoo H's initials on my inner wrist. MANY people have told me that getting tha tattoo would be a kiss of death for our marriage. I guess I didnt realize how many opinions I would get about this. its not like i would be tattooing "STEVE'S PROPERTY"  on my chest.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Very UnPop: I babysit my neighbors baby, he dropped her off at 5pm asks me to make sure she doesn't nap or they won't get any sleep.  I absolutely let the kid take a little nap and she is so tired all the time and only naps for 30 mins at a time (she 6 mons old) and that is NOT ok.  They are constantly waking her up to "play" with her and then wonder why she's cranky all the time.  You don't wake a baby. That's like a cardinal rule.  Drives me freaking nuts.  She comes over for me to watch her, she eats a "shocking" to them 6-8oz and takes a wonderful peaceful nap.  BLah.  They have so many issues, which is why I watch the baby, but I feel for the baby...poor kid just wants a good long nap and a full tummy.

Pet Peeves:

Being late

shall i go on? 

The only time I do this is because of certain circumstances. Last Wednesday my BF's father unexpectedly passed away. I didn't feel comfortable leaving him to go back to his empty house(his mother needed to be hospitalized that night) alone so I skipped work the following day so that he wouldn't be alone. Yesterday was the funeral and I didn't go into work so I could be there to support him. This morning after spending the entire weekend with him and his mother including the wake and funeral, I was drained. I needed a day to recharge myself.

If you are genuinely drained to the point you can't concentrate at work, I don't think you should go in.

That is acceptable.

6 people called in sick the day I posted this. I am a police officer currently on light duty and working the desk for a few weeks. They had to pull every person from the station to work the streets so I was stuck in the station...alone...all night. SCARY! People called in to go to halloween parties!

• I'm really glad we did engagement photos. I think my photographer and I got off to a bit of a rocky start, so it was nice to spend some time with her and in front of a camera. FI and are computer programmers - we're so awkward! Our session was about an hour long and she sent me a disc with 70 pictures on it, but there's only maybe 5 photos I liked. I got a few prints since we don't have any good pictures of us around the house. 

I wore a dress and I kind of wish I had done an outfit change to jeans since I think the dress limited our poses somewhat - I could actually see up my dress and sort of make out my underwear in one of the pictures where we were sitting on a bench! Oops, should have crossed my legs :P

But anyway, it wasn't included by default in the package, but was a very cheap add on and I'm glad we did them. It also made me realize what poses/expressions I do and don't like and I'll have a better idea of what we want on the day of the wedding.
    Anniversary
  • Very UnPop: I babysit my neighbors baby, he dropped her off at 5pm asks me to make sure she doesn't nap or they won't get any sleep.  I absolutely let the kid take a little nap and she is so tired all the time and only naps for 30 mins at a time (she 6 mons old) and that is NOT ok.  They are constantly waking her up to "play" with her and then wonder why she's cranky all the time.  You don't wake a baby. That's like a cardinal rule.  Drives me freaking nuts.  She comes over for me to watch her, she eats a "shocking" to them 6-8oz and takes a wonderful peaceful nap.  BLah.  They have so many issues, which is why I watch the baby, but I feel for the baby...poor kid just wants a good long nap and a full tummy.
    I'd feel for that kid too!  Babies need a lot of sleep.  There is one thing about getting them on a schedule but another when you keep them up just to make it easier on you to sleep at night.  That is ridiculous.  I think those parents need to read up on how to take care of a baby.

Pet Peeves:

Being late

shall i go on? 

The only time I do this is because of certain circumstances. Last Wednesday my BF's father unexpectedly passed away. I didn't feel comfortable leaving him to go back to his empty house(his mother needed to be hospitalized that night) alone so I skipped work the following day so that he wouldn't be alone. Yesterday was the funeral and I didn't go into work so I could be there to support him. This morning after spending the entire weekend with him and his mother including the wake and funeral, I was drained. I needed a day to recharge myself.

If you are genuinely drained to the point you can't concentrate at work, I don't think you should go in.
    That's a perfectly valid reason to call out.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Pet peeve: People who post how awesome their spouses or boyfriends are on facebook. 

Example: "I have the best hubby in the whole world!  Pancakes for breakfast and my favorite cup of coffee.  You're the best babe!" 

I'm fairly certain this person is in the next room or sitting beside them when they post such things.  If not, I assume your relationship must be in bad shape if you can't thank someone in person.  Oh wait - that's not why it's on facebook!  It's because the person can't help but share how AMAZING their life so everyone knows they've accomplished the "American Dream" and are perfect.  Silliness.  My life is great at times too, but I don't need to rub it in for all my friends going through hard times.
  • Pet Peeves: Asking FI to cook Meth for you a la Breaking Bad bc you found out he has a Ph.D in chemistry. 1st of all, he's a polymer chemist not an organic chemist, and 2nd of all isn't the point of that stupid show that cooking meth doesn't quite work out so well for the main character? Equestrian boots on non equestrians- sure they are cute, but for some reason it annoys me when people who have never been inside a barn wear them, lol. Yes, I wear them. . . I own a horse so I get to :-p Dr. Who Fanboys and Girls- Nerds, please! If you don't know who the original Drs are and don't recognize that the 4th Dr. is the best Dr, then step out of my way :-p Men who take up too much space on the bus/train/subway/plane etc- close your goddamn legs and don't use your testicles as an excuse. There's actually a tumblr for shaming these guys. Christmas displays and decorations out in stores before Thanksgiving- Jesus, by the time Dec. 24th hits I am so effing sick of Christmas! We will still buy shit if you wait to put it out until Black Friday, you know.
    P.P. When people are saying other people are wrong and then get something wrong while doing it. It's supposed to be written out as Doctor Who it's never supposed to be shortened.
  • I haven't read this one yet, so I'm happy this got dredged up.
    Like PP have said, I also do not care for engagement photos.  I did not do any.  I also didn't do STDs. 
    I have tons of unpopular opinions, but I can't think of any right now. 
    Pet Peeve - people who will buy their kids pets for Christmas, and then that pet will be in a shelter in a few months.  Granted, the last four rabbits I have owned have been "previously loved", so I have benefitted, but so many pets.  I also realize the irony of having a pet peeve about pets . . .
    Okay, unpopular opinion remembered - I think Colin Farrel is disgusting. 

• I haven't read this one yet, so I'm happy this got dredged up.
    Like PP have said, I also do not care for engagement photos.  I did not do any.  I also didn't do STDs. 
    I have tons of unpopular opinions, but I can't think of any right now. 
    Pet Peeve - people who will buy their kids pets for Christmas, and then that pet will be in a shelter in a few months.  Granted, the last four rabbits I have owned have been "previously loved", so I have benefitted, but so many pets.  I also realize the irony of having a pet peeve about pets . . .

Okay, unpopular opinion remembered - I think Colin Farrel is disgusting. 

Don't forget people who get kids bunnies for Easter because its cute.
  • My newest pet peeve: 
    I got cable a few months ago when I got internet at home. When I turn on the TV/cable box (they come on together), a blue screen comes up with a floating message that says "Press OK to watch TV." Why in the world would I have turned the TV on if I didn't want to watch it? Wasn't my act of pressing the power button the indication that I wanted to watch TV? This has been driving me CRAZY!
  • @CaitlinGriffin Oh yes, I forgot about Easter . . . gah! 

• esev624esev624 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2013
    @alisonmarie658 - Sorry, I wasn't aware there is some kind of rule about not posting on things.  I thought this was a cool topic.
  • My UO:  I think engagement photos are stupid.  They are a waste of money and honestly, why the fuck do you need that many pictures of yourself?  I can't even wrap my head around getting my picture taken all day for the wedding, but at least that's a once in a lifetime event that it makes sense to record.    It just reeks of "Look at me!  I'm special!  I'm getting married!  LOOK AT ME.  NOW."  The only "engagement" photo I would want would be one of the actual moment that we got engaged - that would be sweet, and is an actual occasion worth recording.
    Our photographer was a little different from your normal wedding photographer and the engagement shoot that was included in our package was a really good way to get to know him and his assistant and how they worked. It made me feel a LOT more comfortable with being photographed for 8 hours on my wedding day. That being said, I only purchased a couple of the prints and they are on my desk at work, not as engagement photos but just pictures of the two of us together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards