Wedding Party

Should I pay for an ex bridesmaids, dress?

13»

Re: Should I pay for an ex bridesmaids, dress?

• logana1 said:
    I'm sorry, agreeing to be a bridesmaid is not a legal binding contract between bride and bridesmaids.  Should things change, no matter the reason, you owe her nothing.  Sounds like she's being rotten to you and your brother.  She can resell the dress on her own and try to recoup the money.  You owe her nothing.
    Says the bride who is considering kicking out her bridesmaid.
  • mobkaz said:
    logana1 said:
    I'm sorry, agreeing to be a bridesmaid is not a legal binding contract between bride and bridesmaids.  Should things change, no matter the reason, you owe her nothing.  Sounds like she's being rotten to you and your brother.  She can resell the dress on her own and try to recoup the money.  You owe her nothing.

Right. So I can actually understand where she's coming from. Just because someone is unhappy with how a friendship ends, doesn't mean you pay them off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker}
  • logana1 said:

mobkaz said:

logana1 said:

Right. So I can actually understand where she's coming from. Just because someone is unhappy with how a friendship ends, doesn't mean you pay them off.

No, you pay them for the attire purchased as part of a verbal contract that was not fulfilled.

• banana468 said:
    mobkaz said:
    logana1 said:

No, you pay them for the attire purchased as part of a verbal contract that was not fulfilled.

Since when is asking someone to stand in your wedding a verbal contract that obligates you pay them back for a dress they didn't use? Sounds fishy to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker}
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    logana1 said: banana468 said: mobkaz said: logana1 said: I'm sorry, agreeing to be a bridesmaid is not a legal binding contract between bride and bridesmaids.  Should things change, no matter the reason, you owe her nothing.  Sounds like she's being rotten to you and your brother.  She can resell the dress on her own and try to recoup the money.  You owe her nothing. Says the bride who is considering kicking out her bridesmaid.
    Right. So I can actually understand where she's coming from. Just because someone is unhappy with how a friendship ends, doesn't mean you pay them off. No, you pay them for the attire purchased as part of a verbal contract that was not fulfilled.
    Since when is asking someone to stand in your wedding a verbal contract that obligates you pay them back for a dress they didn't use? Sounds fishy to me.

YOU asked someone to be in your bridal party.  The verbal agreement is that the BM agrees to purchase a dress.  The BM fulfills her end of the agreement.  If the
    bride kicks the BM out of her wedding party, the bride has broken the agreement and owes the BM the money she paid out for the dress.  It's simple.

• logana1 said:
     Just because someone is unhappy with how a friendship ends, doesn't mean you pay them off.
    It's not about being unhappy about the friendship ending though.  If a bride asks someone to be in her your wedding, and then makes them buy a specific dress for the wedding, and then says "oh just kidding, you are not in the wedding and therefore have no need for that dress I made you buy specifically for that wedding" then yes, the bride needs to pay for the dress.  Why should the bridesmaid pay for the dress?  The only reason she got the dress was to be in the wedding the bride asked her to be in and then the bride told her she couldn't.
  • logana1 said:

banana468 said:

logana1 said:

mobkaz said:

logana1 said:

It's an implicit agreement, not express, which also happens to fall in line with the doctrine of promissory estoppel. In buying the dress, she acted in reliance upon your implicit promise that she'd be able to stand up with you at your wedding. By reneging, you'd be in breach and, thus, liable for the economic loss she suffered as a result.
  • Beyond formalities, it's just common sense.  If you made someone buy a ticket to a movie with you but then said they can't come you would give them the money for the ticket.  In general it is just WORTH IT to take the high road.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards