Chit Chat

I have no idea how to choose between these two applicants.

edited February 2014 in Chit Chat
Remember how my assistant quit on Monday? Well, I've interviewed two women. And I love them both. I know - terrible position to be in! 

T - lives very close by. Seems very personable. Good attitude. Good enthusiasm. I liked her answers when I quizzed her on some things. The owner did say he noticed some grammatical issues, however he tends to be persnickety. The only thing I worry about is that baking is her passion and that she might prefer to work in one of our kitchens. Just laid off so she can start right away. 

J - would have a 45 minute commute. Very professional. Didn't have as strong answers when I quizzed her. But also seemed to have a great attitude. Seems to have a very high attention to detail. Currently working so can't start right away. 

I have no idea how to choose. I'm leaning a little towards T since her commute would be so short and because I liked her personality a little more. I had both of the owners meet them and they are undecided as well. 

Re: I have no idea how to choose between these two applicants.

• as an enthusiastic person myself..i vote her...but im not any good with this.
    Anniversary
  • Go with T. She had stronger answers. And the commute is nothing to sneeze at -- that can be a huge psychological factor.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I would go with T too.
  • Go with T. She had stronger answers. And the commute is nothing to sneeze at -- that can be a huge psychological factor.
    I'm not crazy to think that, right? I did a 45 commute for years and it sucked. It wore me down. 
  • I vote for T. Close by and enthusiastic is great! Then inclement weather becomes less of an issue. Plus you can get her trained and ready to take over for the person leaving to smooth out that transition.
  • Assuming two applicants are equally qualified and I feel a good vibe with both, I always try to fill positions in my department with those who have stronger skills in areas I'm lacking, so as to make a really well rounded team. Would doing a comparison like that help at all?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Well you don't make J sound very positive. You have many more positive things to say about T, which makes me think that you should lean towards her anyway. Based on your description you make J sound second-best anyhow.
  • Niccirf said:
    Assuming two applicants are equally qualified and I feel a good vibe with both, I always try to fill positions in my department with those who have stronger skills in areas I'm lacking, so as to make a really well rounded team. Would doing a comparison like that help at all?
    That could definitely help. T has some background in purchasing and I would need her to handle that when I'm out. J doesn't have any experience dealing with vendors. 
  • It sounds like you're leaning toward T.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • T for sure. She seems interested in the industry in general, she'll be happier with a shorter commute, and people can learn things such as proper grammar. Plus, you like how she interviewed, and the way you typed your initial post shows that you actually do favour her over J.

• I totally didn't realize I was favoring T! That must have been my subconscious :-P 

I think I'm going to offer it to T. I really do like that she has a personal interest in the industry. 
  • Do they both have the same salary requirements? How long until J could start? 2 weeks?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:
    Do they both have the same salary requirements? How long until J could start? 2 weeks?
    They both have the same salary requirements. J could start in two weeks. 
  • Wait, neither of them is me. So... pick me!

Kidding, kidding! (sort of)

I agree that you already seem to favor T, unconsciously or not. She seems to be a better fit for what your needs for the position are. Plus, short commutes are a huge bonus - just make sure she doesn't take advantage of it by showing up late a lot because she doesn't think the commute will take as long as it does when there's traffic.

~*~*~*~*~

• Aaaaaand J just sent me an awesome follow up letter, whereas T did not. Crapstick!
  • How long ago did you interview them? When I was interviewing, I often scheduled several interviews back-to-back so I wasn't getting home until late (I had quite a few interviews after business hours because the person I would have replaced didn't know they were being replaced). If it's been more than a day or two, yikes.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• How long ago did you interview them? When I was interviewing, I often scheduled several interviews back-to-back so I wasn't getting home until late (I had quite a few interviews after business hours because the person I would have replaced didn't know they were being replaced). If it's been more than a day or two, yikes.
    I interviewed T yesterday morning at 9am. I interviewed J at 10am this morning. 
  • Yea, then T totally dropped the ball on that. Ugh. I hate that. Our recruiters always made sure the candidates sent thank you emails to the companies ASAP. Hmm. Well, I guess I have to stand by my previous statement and suggest you hire me. But remember, I don't do anything but eat, bake, and read TK!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I would go with T for a few reasons, you seemed to like her and she is already unemployed.  J has a job and they seem similarly qualified so it would benefit the one out of work more....  I wouldn't hold the follow up against her if she was a good fit.  You can always keep J's resume and have her be first for the next opening she is qualified for.
  • edited February 2014
    Remember how my assistant quit on Monday? Well, I've interviewed two women. And I love them both. I know - terrible position to be in! 

T - lives very close by. Seems very personable. Good attitude. Good enthusiasm. I liked her answers when I quizzed her on some things. The owner did say he noticed some grammatical issues, however he tends to be persnickety. The only thing I worry about is that baking is her passion and that she might prefer to work in one of our kitchens. Just laid off so she can start right away. 

J - would have a 45 minute commute. Very professional. Didn't have as strong answers when I quizzed her. But also seemed to have a great attitude. Seems to have a very high attention to detail. Currently working so can't start right away. 

I have no idea how to choose. I'm leaning a little towards T since her commute would be so short and because I liked her personality a little more. I had both of the owners meet them and they are undecided as well. 
    I would vote for T. Shorter commute in the northeast means something this time of year and you seemed to like her better.

ETA: The shorter commute may have 0 affect on her ability to perform. However; in the northeast, at this time of year, it is a factor into whether people show up to perform. Additionally, when you have two seemingly equal candidates and you have to choose between them somehow, the small details become deciding factors.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • I'm not saying it would have an impact on job performance. But driving from upstate NY to downstate NY - I've done it. And it's exhausting. She wouldn't be taking public transportation. She'd be driving in her own car. 
  • I'm not saying it would have an impact on job performance. But driving from upstate NY to downstate NY - I've done it. And it's exhausting. She wouldn't be taking public transportation. She'd be driving in her own car. 
    But she knew what the commute would be when she applied.  So it seems like she is prepared to make that drive on a daily basis.  And just because you didn't like the commute doesn't mean that others mind it.

You should really talk to the owners that actually met the applicants and got a feel for them to get a better idea of what to do.

• Aaaaaand J just sent me an awesome follow up letter, whereas T did not. Crapstick!
    What would their job entail?
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • I have really good experience and skillset but I'm not going to lie, I've been told by my bosses that I was hired over others with the same experience because of my upbeat, outgoing personailty. You're going to be near this person for potentially more than see your FI/family so you don't want a dud!

I don't live or work in NY, but I am still going to say that it should be irrelevant in your mind.  It may have been exhausting for you, but if she is aware of the commute and willing to make it. . . then why is that something you would use as a deciding factor between these two applicants?  It seems like an irrelevant metric to me.

I spent 5 or 6 years during the summer commuting by car 45mins-1hr in traffic to a job on one of the worst routes in my area.  But that is what I had to do for the job, and I loved that job!

I choose to use public transportation now because it is free via my employer and parking is fucking $$$$$$$!  But if I didn't my commute would probably be 30-45mins plus due to traffic.  That's just the way it is in an urban area.

If you like T better because of her overall application and interview, then go with T.  But just don't use the commute as a metric to sort J out. . . even if that makes choosing between them harder.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Good luck!  Maybe make them wrestle for it? :-P

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

But she knew what the commute would be when she applied.  So it seems like she is prepared to make that drive on a daily basis.  And just because you didn't like the commute doesn't mean that others mind it.

You should really talk to the owners that actually met the applicants and got a feel for them to get a better idea of what to do.
    The owners are both undecided as I am. In fact, one owner is leaning more towards T solely because of the commute J would have to do. 
  • Good luck!  Maybe make them wrestle for it? :-P
    Lmao. Maybe a dance off too! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards