Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Did you sleep together or apart pre-Wedding Night?

Fi and I live together and thus sleep in the same bed nightly. I brought up the idea of sleeping apart the night before the wedding to make things more "special", but then I thought more and realized that I'd probably just stay awake missing him and wishing that I was with him. So we decided to sleep together as normal.

You?

Re: Did you sleep together or apart pre-Wedding Night?

• We live together so we sleep together every night.  However, I will probably be sleeping in a bridal suite or at my mom's or something the night before the wedding so that he does not see me on the morning of.
  • I was planning on staying at the house with H the night before our wedding, but then I realized if I stayed at the hotel the night before I could sleep for 30 more minutes before getting up for hair and make-up. My hair appointment was for 6:00 am so that 30 minutes came in handy (or would have had I not been up sick all night).
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • We'll be sleeping together the night before at our venue.
  • Separate rooms for us. FI snores like a chainsaw, and I know I'm going to want to sleep (I love sleep. Like, REALLY love sleep.) - no way do I want his nasal symphony keeping me up half the night!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• We live together, but we'll be sleeping in separate rooms at the venue the night before the wedding. I tend to not be able to sleep well without him next to me, but it's important to me that we not see each other the morning of.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    We will be sleeping separately at our parent's homes even though we live together. The surprise and anticipation of seeing each other will be so much greater, and I can't wait!

image   image   image

• We haven't figured this out yet. We will probably sleep together because we have slept together every night for the last 6 years so it would be odd to not be with him.
  • We actually slept separately starting the Thursday before our Sunday wedding. I went to my parents' house, 2.5 hours away from where DH and I live, to do last-minute things, so I slept there. He came up on Friday, spent Friday night (we may have slept together that night, but I'm not sure?), then Saturday night he was at the hotel where we spent our wedding night.

I missed him, and I didn't sleep well without him, but it was logistics. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Not sure. We still have a long way out. I used to think I would do the sleepover with my girls (SATC style), but then reality hit lol. We're not 13 anymore, anddddd they prob want to be with their SO's the night before, haha. I think we will probably end up sleeping together the night before. My parents would prob drive me crazy (plus they are 2 hours away) so that is def no an option lol. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• We'll probably spend the night together. Our bird is going to be home alone for at least 24 hours* and so having one of us gone the night before will upset him. And even more than that, I'm not really enthusiastic about spending the night apart the night before we're becoming legally committed to each other. I get that a lot of people like the anticipation, but I just don't see the point.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • We slept together, because it's what we usually do and I knew I'd want him beside me. Also, I only actually slept for less than two hours. :(
  • Hubby and I lived together pre-wedding so we slept in our bed together the night before the wedding.  I'm not superstitious (or whatever it would've been to make me want to separate the night before the wedding)...plus we both get the best sleep in our own bed, and wanted to be refreshed and well-rested on our wedding day.
  • I'll be at my parents' house and he will be at his parents'.
  • We're offering up bedrooms at our house, so neither one of us will be in our own home the night before our wedding! I'm staying at my MOH's house and FI is staying at his BM's house.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • We slept together the night before the wedding and went out for breakfast, too! I would have had a hard time sleeping by myself. We already knew we were doing a first look, so we had no reason to keep him from seeing me the morning of.
  • we live together, so i'm sure will be sleeping together...although he's a bad sleeper and often keeps me up...so there is a good chance i'll go to the spare room so we can both get a good night sleep!
  • Unknown at this point what we'll do.  I sleep better with him, but he works 3rd a lot so I'm used to going to sleep on my own.  Our furkid will be boarded so we don't have to worry about her so we'll probably just get one room at the hotel we're blocking for guests and then I'll kick him out ;)  I'd like to do a first look, though, so it's not like I'm worried about him seeing me before the ceremony.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I stayed at the rental house with my family, DH stayed in his mom's hotel room.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I have no idea what we are going to do.  FI gets bouts of insomnia when he's excited or nervous about something.. and I don't want to but up at all hours with him pacing around/ doing situps/ reading.  Most of the time he doesn't bother me when he gets up, but I know that i'll be excited and so I might have trouble sleeping to begin with.

It will likely come down to logistics.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm guessing we'll stay together the night before. I don't really see why we wouldn't.
  • We plan to be together.  I don't think either of us would sleep very well without the other there. But, we will be apart for 5 days right before wedding (he's going on a trip with his dad), so I think it would be even tougher not to have him beside me knowing he's in town.  Although, I wouldn't be surprised if our families tried to change that plan and keep us separated so we don't see each other. 

• We live together but have actually been sleeping apart since August-ish at the request (demand?) of our priest...it was a struggle at first but we've gotten used to it. Now I'll have to get used to him hogging the covers all over again! 

Even though we sleep separately now, I'm still kickin him out the night before :) He's going to stay with either his dad or one of his groomsmen and my sister and BIL will be staying in our guest room where I normally sleep.
  • We got a hotel room closer to our venue and both slept there. In the morning, I got up earlier than him and I went to my aunt's room to get ready and he and his groomswoman and her partner got ready in our room. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We live together (pre-wedding) but will be in separate hotel rooms the night before.  He is still gonna see me before the wedding (doing a first look).   
  • We slept together the night before, at our place. We actually had a date night the evening before. Since our rehearsal was at lunch time, we had a rehearsal luncheon then had the rest of the day to ourselves. We went out to a nice restaurant for dinner then saw a movie. Went back home, got a good night's sleep, then had breakfast together when we got up. We didn't separate until about mid-morning, when DH left to work on getting the venue setup and I left to get my hair done. He left first, and I totally broke down and cried a little. We were only apart for about 3.5 hours on our wedding day, but they were the longest hours of the day.
    Anniversary
  • He was the one that didn't want to see me at all on the day of the wedding until I walked down the isle. So I found this really nice B&B that was by my salon & I stayed there the night before. It was actually very enjoyable having some me time & getting a chance to relax. I have aniexty issues sometimes so it ws very helpful for that. And for once I got to sleep in, no 5 am wake up call from the dogs and having to deal with them while getting ready.
  • Hm idk. We live together. Our venue is close to his parents and we will be staying with them pre-wedding. I guess I would like to get a hotel with my friends and do the sleepover thing but they will be coming from OOT so for all I know they may not be able to make it til right before the ceremony, or they may bring SOs, or whatever. I know FI does not want to see my in my dress before the ceremony but I'm not sure about that morning. Other than his parents or a hotel, I don't really have anywhere else to go.
  • We live together. Our venue is about 40 minutes north, and my parents live another 20 minutes north of that. I would love to spend the night before in our apartment with one of my BM's who stays over often. Second choice would be to stay at my parents' the night before and then also get ready there. But for logistics reasons (a lot of OOT bridal party members, not all of whom will have a car), I think everything will have to happen at the blocked hotel near the venue. I do not want to see FI the day of the wedding until our first look.(sidebar, honestly, I wish we didn't even have a first look but there's no way around it with ceremony & reception in the same place). So most likely we will sleep in separate rooms at the hotel.
  • We live together so we sleep together every night and it's hard for me to sleep without him. It's also very important to me that we don't see each other the morning of. So, we're staying in separate rooms at the hotel the night before, and one of my bridesmaids is staying with me. That way, I don't have to sleep alone, and she doesn't have to pay for a room for 2 nights! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards