Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What is Etiquette and why does it matter? A FAQ (by myself (hlvonb) and Schatzi13 )

What is etiquette?
Etiquette, at its base, is fairly simple. It is the idea that one thinks about others before oneself and treats them well. Be polite and grateful. Follow the golden rule: Do unto others as you want them to do unto you.

This is my day. Why do I need to worry about what others think?
First, it stops being your (and FI's) day as soon as you involve other people. Like everything else in life, once others are involved, they should also be kept in mind. Second, your guests are your friends and family (or the friends of your family). These people are important to you. You would treat them well at all other times. Why not now?

Why are there so many rules? All I see on here is "you can't do this," and "you can't do that."
This goes back to treating others well. There are certain actions that are not treating others well. For example, treating your guests like ATMs or gift dispensaries instead of like your nearest and dearest is not treating them well. Demanding that people use their own time and money to throw you parties is not treating them well. Hosting your guests properly and thanking people who took time out of their busy schedules or lovingly sent you a gift is treating people well.

Our wedding is going to be offbeat/kooky/unique. We're going to do things differently, so the rules are different for us.
There is a huge amount of flexibility in what you can do for your wedding while staying within etiquette. Many people on these boards planned or are planning weddings that are not strictly traditional, but these weddings are still etiquette-okay because guests are being taken into consideration. Some of your offbeat/kooky/unique ideas might not fly, but plenty will.

My mom/dad/cousin/Rando on the train says that I have to XYZ at my wedding. It's 2014. We don't have to follow their outdated etiquette rules!
Many of the "have tos" that are passed around are traditions, not etiquette. Wedding traditions are behaviors or rituals that have been passed down within a social group. If they do not affect your guests, they do not need to be followed.
   Tradition vs. etiquette:
-You must have the same number of bridesmaids and groomsmen. vs. If you choose to have any wedding party members, choose them because you want them; people are important because of who they are, not because they make the sides even.
-You must have a big evening reception. vs. Wedding receptions can be any size or at any time of day, so long as everyone invited to the ceremony is invited to the reception and it is properly hosted for that time of day; the reception is a thank you for attending the ceremony. 
-Second-time brides cannot wear white. vs. Any bride can wear any color; it does not affect anyone else.  
-The couple cannot see one another before the bride is walking down the aisle. vs. The couple can see one another at any point in the day that they choose; it does not affect anyone else.

The people who really care about me/us won't care if we follow etiquette. They will come anyway.
Yes, they probably will come anyway, even if they are treated poorly. People will bend over backwards for someone who is getting married. Many people will not mention if they are uncomfortable, hurt, or upset when they are treated poorly by a bride or groom. There are plenty of stories in the Worst Weddings thread about guests who have come, smiled, and endured.

Re: What is Etiquette and why does it matter? A FAQ (by myself (hlvonb) and Schatzi13 )

• Options
    You are beautiful people. Amen.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
  • Options
    I love this. I feel that I must point out that the level of directness/ slight snark is fantastic but will probably still send noobs running. Seriously, can the TK regs (I'm not including myself in this, still learning from you ladies) get together and publish an etiquette book or something?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    @JCBride2014,  Not unless you agree to no tuxedos in the daytime!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    @Knot Porscha, can this be made into a sticky, please?

@CMGragain

I was going to ask that same thing. Haha! Yes please make this a sticky @KnotPorscha

• Options
    I love this. I feel that I must point out that the level of directness/ slight snark is fantastic but will probably still send noobs running. Seriously, can the TK regs (I'm not including myself in this, still learning from you ladies) get together and publish an etiquette book or something?

@JCBride2014

A book would be a sweet idea. We could figure out who all wants to be involved and divide it into chapters and each person (or 2 people) can work on 1 chapter.

• Options
    @CMGragain I can get on board the "no tuxedos in the daytime" train.  Our wedding is at 6:30. :)  WP guys will be rocking those tuxes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    HA, you've got to be kidding. Good luck with that. You'll need it with how far out of touch you all are with society. 
  • Options
    *clap clap clap clap*

Tradition is not etiquette. Totally different things. Definitely sticky the heck out of this.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I mean, the FOUNDER OF TK rejects you guys' tactics. Get over yourselves.
  • Options
    Beautifully put, @hvlonb and @Schatzi13!
  • Options
    phira said:
    *clap clap clap clap*

Tradition is not etiquette. Totally different things. Definitely sticky the heck out of this.
    That exactly!  How many times have we had to explain this to new brides?
  • Options
    Sabinus15 said:
    I would love to know where this is stated.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    The founders of the knot are not a good etiquette source, so who cares what they think.  And this is the most active forum, and is really the only reason I come to this site. 

• Options
    Inkdancer said:
    Sabinus15 said:
    http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/990080/an-open-letter-to-the-community-from-our-co-founder-carley-roney/p1
  • Options

laurynm84 said:
    The founders of the knot are not a good etiquette source, so who cares what they think.  And this is the most active forum, and is really the only reason I come to this site. 
    And they're not a good etiquette source because...why? You all decreed it so? I haven't heard of anyone complaining to or suing TK for bad etiquette advice. 

Maybe..it's not that far off-base and you all are the crazy ones. 
  • Options
    By the way, I'm not encouraging ignoring etiquette, I just think that the regulars of TK are not the end-all, be-all etiquette gods of the universe. 
  • Options
    Sabinus15 said:
    Inkdancer said:
    Sabinus15 said:
    http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/990080/an-open-letter-to-the-community-from-our-co-founder-carley-roney/p1
    Unless you were here for the drama that was going on when that thread was posted, don't link or quote it. You have no idea.
    Um, I was answering a question? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPk4_XfYhjg

• Options
    I have read it, and yes, I didn't witness the actual events leading up to this. But, I do understand that the letter was addressing the on-going negative attitude that members had, and negative attitude was what I was referring to when I said "your guys' tactics" 
  • Options
    and more specifically: "Community members were belittled for sport, made to feel stupid for their questions, humiliated for their preferences." -CR
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards